Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***LEAVING CERT ART HISTORY 2014***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sayitaintso

kates339 wrote: »
    Us aftr realizing fr the bronze age questions i left out the bottom bit :(:( will i loos much marks?
    I reckon there were about 5 or 10 marks going for that. You should be grand.

That paper was grand overall. The film question was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Was delighted when I saw the newgrange question!!
    I did giotto for question 2 but I answered it badly. It said something about it being dramatic and I started talking about ognisannti which isnt exactly dramatic! I should have done the lamentation but I was already too far inat that stage so i did the lamentation for the second piece.

Gallery question wtf was that , most strangely worded question Ive ever seen I had to read it five times over to see what they were asking
    I think I did okay in it though:pac:

Ehhh.. What Newgrange question?

* passage grave question. I answered on newgrange:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

bb1234567 wrote: »
    * passage grave question. I answered on newgrange:)

Just realised the one you were on about, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KaBooom

What a beautiful paper, wrote 18 pages and was delighted... untill I realissed I called Giottos Ognissanti Madona 'Madonna and child' for the second part of the q but I still talked about the Ognissanti and even drew the diagram for it at the start. I know usually Id get no marks but it still has Madonna in the name the right dates etc. Can someone please tell if Ill still get marks for it? Having a minor panic attack atm..

Also how much would that part be worth? I wrote about the deposition for the first part and still covered everything asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

KaBooom wrote: »
    What a beautiful paper, wrote 18 pages and was delighted... untill I realissed I called Giottos Ognissanti Madona 'Madonna and child' for the second part of the q but I still talked about the Ognissanti and even drew the diagram for it at the start. I know usually Id get no marks but it still has Madonna in the name the right dates etc. Can someone please tell if Ill still get marks for it? Having a minor panic attack atm..

Also how much would that part be worth? I wrote about the deposition for the first part and still covered everything asked

What you are worried about is only a minor matter - the painting is still essentially a " Madonna and Child" so don't be worried. Its what you write in your essay - how you answer the question asked for - is the important part for getting marks.

Ps - I have corrected LC Art a few times.

Red Hare wrote: »

Okay this is interesting, could you please explain why there are literally like 1% of art students get A1s and why students just tend to do so averagely?

Is it purely down to the aptitude of the students who have taken the exams and chosen the subject?

What you are worried about is only a minor matter - the painting is still essentially a " Madonna and Child" so don't be worried. Its what you write in your essay - how you answer the question asked for - is the important part for getting marks.

Thank you, what a great relief!

Okay this is interesting, could you please explain why there are literally like 1% of art students get A1s and why students just tend to do so averagely?

Is it purely down to the aptitude of the students who have taken the exams and chosen the subject?

My opinion is that Art is over- examined compared with other subjects. Very few students achieve an A1 standard across all four exams - which is basically what is needed to get an overall result of A1. Its somewhat achievable to get an A1 in one or two exams but all four - is too difficult!

My opinion is that Art is over- examined compared with other subjects. Very few students achieve an A1 standard across all four exams - which is basically what is needed to get an overall result of A1. Its somewhat achievable to get an A1 in one or two exams but all four - is too difficult!

And they have no intention of changing things or making it somewhat 'easier'?

It just seems they're doing their best to keep people away from it

• Advertisement

Well everyone is agreed that change is needed. A new syllabus was agreed a few years ago - there was to be project work like the Junior Cert, but then the recession happened and the new syllabus has been put aside for the moment. - - Thats all anyone knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

If I forgot to put the artists first name will I lose many marks. I had a complete blank, and as soon as I left the exam centre I remembered it.

I called it ognisannti madonna and child aswell...? What is it called then, just ognisannti?
    If I forgot to put the artists first name will I lose many marks. I had a complete blank, and as soon as I left the exam centre I remembered it.

Youll lose one mark at most...if even

I called it ognisannti madonna and child aswell...? What is it called then, just ognisannti?

Its just Ognissanti Madonna but I only said Madonna and child but as the examiner pointed out above its not a big deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NotAmerican

Guys, what the hell was the European Section cathedral question about? We never even did the bloody statue in school! I've never seen it my life, what period was it from? PLEASE tell me it was Gothic, because I did Gothic for that question :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Such a nice exam! ! Did Castletown, Renoir and Gallery question (which I actually liked for a change)
    Hope I get that A1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lacers00

Any one else expect gothic/Romanesque in section 2 and instead did question 11(statue of David) michaelangelo?

It was pretty manageable but wasn't prepared for it.

Castletown was nice question and gallery question was interesting.

Guys, what the hell was the European Section cathedral question about? We never even did the bloody statue in school! I've never seen it my life, what period was it from? PLEASE tell me it was Gothic, because I did Gothic for that question :(

The Sculptor was Claus Sluter. It was from the Gothic period.

I didnt get why they said 'feature' of an app it was like they were saying its not its own app, but like part of another app. Idk that really confused me.
    I said that facebook is a popular app with people on the go so they should install an art calendar/event alert feature on the facebook app to remind people and tell them about events like the school craft thing.

Does that sound ok? And for second app feature it was like general info and FAQ about the craft fair. and I drew a little rough sketch of what the app might look like :o
    lacers00 wrote: »
    Any one else expect gothic/Romanesque in section 2 and instead did question 11(statue of David) michaelangelo?

It was pretty manageable but wasn't prepared for it.

Castletown was nice question and gallery question was interesting.

I was thinking of doing the david question and talk about pieta aswell but then i realised I didnt really know enough about those sculptures to write 4 pages.

I didnt get why they said 'feature' of an app it was like they were saying its not its own app, but like part of another app. Idk that really confused me.
    I said that facebook is a popular app with people on the go so they should install an art calendar/event alert feature on the facebook app to remind people and tell them about events like the school craft thing.

Does that sound ok? And for second app feature it was like general info and FAQ about the craft fair. and I drew a little rough sketch of what the app might look like :o

It was a tough question but it sounds like you did well!

• Advertisement

Just read gallery question again and it says to discuss two features FOR an app or website, as in you have to make them up 😔 I did the existing features on the website of the national gallery of Ireland such as a YouTube video walkthrough of the exhibition and the emuseum they have and how they would create enthusiasm for the students exhibition, why are they so awkward..

Just read gallery question again and it says to discuss two features FOR an app or website, as in you have to make them up 😔 I did the existing features on the website of the national gallery of Ireland such as a YouTube video walkthrough of the exhibition and the emuseum they have and how they would create enthusiasm for the students exhibition, why are they so awkward..

Ugh why dont they ask non stupid questions that dont catch students out and actually just let us show the useless knowledge weve spent 2 years learning -_-

The sooner I forget about the haphazardly arranged curvilinear abstract designs on rocks and whatever other useless information I've learned over the last 2 years the better

• Registered Users Posts: 16 podz

Such a beautiful paper. I got a bit of a shock when I saw the first question in European but I went further down and saw the Gislebertus question (Q14). So I did that on the Last Judgement and then Eve which I think I tackled okay.
    I also did Newgrange (probably along with half the country) and the Gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NotAmerican

The Gislebertus question? :( Oh God, with the shock of it I didn't even see his name, I just saw a group of artists and went like "Nah, that's not the question, neither are the other ones, must be q.8". To the examiner that answered my question: how many marks would I lose for getting the sculpture part wrong? I got the right period and said the theme was religious due to angels and all that, even said about the style being realistic because the figures showed anatomical correctness but I didn't get the name of the sculptor or the name of the sculpture or composition because I didn't know what that meant. Could you give an estimate of how many marks I'd lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BlazingBladeDA

Nothing I thought was going to show up did, and out of everything, I forgot most of newgrange on the day >.< I left so lonely in disappointment. Hopefully I get at least a B3 all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

We never finished our course and didn't do art appreciation. Our stupid teacher was ALWAYS off and couldn't teach for the life of her! I did 2 pages on all questions plus sketches. Q.2 Q.13 and Q.18 would this be enough? I feel like I did ok but not the best. We didn't even go to the gallery so that question was out!

Missovoxo wrote: »
    We never finished our course and didn't do art appreciation. Our stupid teacher was ALWAYS off and couldn't teach for the life of her! I did 2 pages on all questions plus sketches. Q.2 Q.13 and Q.18 would this be enough? I feel like I did ok but not the best. We didn't even go to the gallery so that question was out!

In my mock i did 2 pages on each question and got a b3, idk maybe that makes you feel better :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's not about how much you write, it's about what you write.

For mocks, I did 2 pages on Irish Art, 1.5 pages on European and 1.25 pages on Appreciation(ran out of time) plus sketches and got an A2.

Obviously, sometimes there is a 'too little' because I didn't get to finish the last section and that dragged my grade down. But once you're covered for that, it's really down to what you wrote, not how much.

In the real one on the other hand, I wrote around 2 pages each but I made up so much bullshit :D Bye bye A.

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's not about how much you write, it's about what you write.

For mocks, I did 2 pages on Irish Art, 1.5 pages on European and 1.25 pages on Appreciation(ran out of time) plus sketches and got an A2.

Obviously, sometimes there is a 'too little' because I didn't get to finish the last section and that dragged my grade down. But once you're covered for that, it's really down to what you wrote, not how much.

In the real one on the other hand, I wrote around 2 pages each but I made up so much bullshit :D Bye bye A.

Yeah I know what you mean, but 1.5 pages really?? No matter how good that 1.5 pages is I just dont see how you could fit in enough info to get a good grade for that, especially an A :eek:

Advertisement