Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mosney June 8th

Options
  • 07-06-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Is Mosney on tomorrow ? Couldn't see it on the 'Shows' thread :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭124 man

Is indeed but the 15 in puts a lot of people off

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

124 man wrote: »
    Is indeed but the 15 in puts a lot of people off

It's €10 for public admission, they are not seriously charging exhibitor's more than the general public are they??

15 in to show your car to the public

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I haven't been for a couple of years, but the entry fee did get me tea and sandwiches plus a gift. I've got a footpump and a flask, much more use than a plate/plaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JP 1800

I hope to be there today in my Volvo P1800, I hope the weather holds out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

15 in to show your car to the public

That's ridiculous.
    Glad I didn't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Exactly why we stopped going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I just can't understand why anyone would pay to exhibit? No cars no show simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I just can't understand why anyone would pay to exhibit? No cars no show simple as that!

People pay to exhibit because THEY'RE STUPID IRISH GOMS and the organisers get away with it , we just seem to have money to burn, be it paying €€€'s for rustbuckets / ramshakle houses / overpriced Superquinn yellowpack biscuits - it'll NEVER change :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree that exhibitors shoudnt have to pay to display their vehicles.

I attended the show yesterday and have to say it was excellent...despite the brief downpour:D

Of particular interest to me was the classic South African-registered Hino car transporter (complete with several SA-registered classics) on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Capri wrote: »
    People pay to exhibit because THEY'RE STUPID IRISH GOMS and the organisers get away with it , we just seem to have money to burn, be it paying €€€'s for rustbuckets / ramshakle houses / overpriced Superquinn yellowpack biscuits - it'll NEVER change :mad::mad:

I agree with the point being made, but does nationality have anything to do with it?
    I see a lot of posts on here berating the country for the actions of the "stupid goms". Phrases like "rip off Ireland" etc. and this attitude of something being a negative part of our national identity that will never change.
    I think it would be more constructive to look at the individuals or groups of "goms" and try to understand why they employ a system that doesn't make sense.

In this case, it seems crazy to me that people who brought cars to exhibit had to pay more than the general viewing public, but I have no idea of the costs involved in running a car show.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who had their car on show there yesterday to hear if they felt they got value for money.

BTW some nice pics shared there, love the s3 rx7 with the decal down the side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nice day out. Only paid a tenner and parked - with quite a few other classics - in the punters car park. 50% more to exhibit? That's mental.

Some great cars and some utter tosh as well to make them look better. :)

GL scrappy wrote: »
    I agree with the point being made, but does nationality have anything to do with it?
    I see a lot of posts on here berating the country for the actions of the "stupid goms". Phrases like "rip off Ireland" etc. and this attitude of something being a negative part of our national identity that will never change.
    I think it would be more constructive to look at the individuals or groups of "goms" and try to understand why they employ a system that doesn't make sense.

In this case, it seems crazy to me that people who brought cars to exhibit had to pay more than the general viewing public, but I have no idea of the costs involved in running a car show.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who had their car on show there yesterday to hear if they felt they got value for money.

BTW some nice pics shared there, love the s3 rx7 with the decal down the side.
    It doesn't matter how much it costs to put on the show if there were no cars there'd
    Be no show. It's one thing I can guarentee I'll never do is pay to exhibit, it's an expensive enough hobby as it is.
    But I do agree it's not just an Irish gom mentality I'm sure it happens elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How do they justify charging people €15 for parking in a field to allow kids (and adults) to run curry chippy hands over their polished paintwork? :pac:

How do they justify charging people €15 for parking in a field to allow kids (and adults) to run curry chippy hands over their polished paintwork? :pac:

And criticise you're pride and joy whilst they are at it.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    And criticise you're pride and joy whilst they are at it.

I've only after started going to shows this year with my GMC, and even at the specific american shows, I still have to ask people not to touch the car (despite the "look but don't touch" sticker).

I saw a 1913 cadillac at the cork show at the weekend, couldnt believe it when a child was encouraged to sit in it by its parent for a photo :mad:
    No respect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ya 15euro is such an astronomical amount of money to charge for a day out.......down with that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

children should have their little fat greasy fingers slammed in the jam of a car door!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

slammed in the jam of a car door!

It's a jamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

There are people for this and people and people for that. We in Clare Vintage Club had our annual show last Sunday, and had hoped to raise E 1000 for Clare Cancer Care. We advertised it as a bucket collection for the classic car owners, and E5 for the general public. The 85 Owners who came were very generous, most put money in the bucket, ranging from a few Euro, to a few who put in E50, lots of 5, 10 & 20. The general public were also great. At the end of the day, we collected over E 3000. I did not hear of anyone complaining, as most people felt it was a good cause, and as a few people said to me, you never know if we might need their service some day. If any Boardies attended, thank you for coming, and supporting us. P.S To the people who sent me messages, I am not ignoring you, I just cant seem to be able to get the knack of replying. To people who had queries, feel free to phone me at any reasonable time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

I don't think many here mind paying when the proceeds are going to a good cause, I know I don't. But it is a bit miserable of organizers to charge the people who are making the show more than those who are just spectators. It's not cheap running a classic are and some people put in considerable expense just to make it to a show.

Also were proceeds from Mosney show even going to charity, I heard no mention of this and it is not advertised on the NEVCC website?? At least with Terenure show which is also expensive you know your money is going to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Firstly I have attended Mosney every year and was always happy to pay to enter. If you pre-register then it is still only €10.

So........the big question........why do they charge exhibitors ? Well here's my take on it. The show, any show, takes a lot of organisation and time, and there are costs involved ALWAYS. They HAVE to cover these costs and encourage people to come. IF the weather was disastrous on the day of the event and the public didn't come it would impact on their income. If the show cars also didn't come they would run into a cost negative situation and loose money, hence they try to get folk to commit to showing their car by offering incentives such as discounted entry and in Mosney's case a decent prize and lunch.

Personally I see this as a great value show. Other shows sometimes not so much.

Like it or hate it, agree/disagree those are the reasons !

Oh.............and I have no ties to that show/club BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I attended and met up with a guy who had a car in the show ...a DKW all the way from Germany. Vehicle owners who attend Mosney get 2 x vouchers for tea and a sandwich...and another voucher for a 'Finishers Prize'...which this year was a strong extendable wheel brace. Perhaps this explains the extra €5 they are charged.

Incidentially, when I attended the show in 2000 (with a black Manta GTE) iirc the charge was also €15 at the time....which also included a nice metal bumper (show) badge and the two lunch vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i went out on sunday about 3 oclock with the mrs and kids .
    there were a few cars starting to leave so yer man on the gate said "give me a tenner for all of yis " fair play to him !

i thought the show was dissapointing compared to other years though
    there was alovely mk2 red golf gti with nice BBS`s that was pristine.

The classic car show in Youghal is running for nearly 10 years now with a run on saturday and static show on the sunday its free to both public and the car owners so it seems they can be run without charging

The classic car show in Youghal is running for nearly 10 years now with a run on saturday and static show on the sunday its free to both public and the car owners so it seems they can be run without charging
    I've been to a few shows around the country this year and most are free, or at most a €5 entry fee for exhibitors.

They already use our cars as a way of making money (no exhibitors no show) so it is quite rude to charge us aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

macplaxton wrote: »
    It's a jamb.

sorry bout that,think i will go and have myself a cuppa tae and a jamb sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

So who'll be going to the Terenure show then? It's €10 to pre-register (same as Mosney) but €20 to register on the day. I think that's just a wee bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

€20???? no way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

I got in car an all for a fiver ......

Advertisement