Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Leaving certificate German 2014 **

• 07-06-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Seeing as the people doing French have started their own thread, us Deutschlanders should Spreche die Deutsch here :)

Share your phrases und so weiter hier bitte :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Seeing as the people doing French have started their own thread, us Deutschlanders should Sprache die Deutsch here :)

Share your phrases und so weiter hier bitte :D

:P havnt done german is so long.. All I can do at this stage is look over vocab and grammar and do some listening exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

I'm so stressed about German :( I've totally neglected it in the last couple of weeks, not a good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Haven't done a whole lot of German recently, was meant to have an extra class before the exams started, teacher never showed up:P

Luckily I've nothing on Wednesday or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Guys don't worry bout german I didn't do a thing all last year and nothing for the exam and I got a b2 in higher! I would say get the grammar down and past: imperfect, perfect, plusquamperfect , present and future down!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are posting in German, please provide a translation as per boards rules.

The German forum is available if you wish to post in German.

• Advertisement

ejayy wrote: »
    Guys don't worry bout german I didn't do a thing all last year and nothing for the exam and I got a b2 in higher! I would say get the grammar down and past: imperfect, perfect, plusquamperfect , present and future down!

O: I do love myself a good success story. Thanks :D I havnt done grammar in ages but Im ok at it so hopefully :)

Telling you grammar is everything! And WOULD ! You lose so much marks for having the word order wrong, the eve before german I will be focusing entirely on grammar and some vocab!

Most important aspects of grammar:

- subject verb object ( nominative , verb , accusative in other word)
    ZB. Ich gehe einkaufen (I go shopping) (Gehen is associated with 'on foot')
    -time, manner , place
    ZB am Abend gehe/fahre ich ins Kino (in the evening I go/ drive to the cinema )
    - know conjunctions (coordinating and subordinating) to get your expression up in your letter , Weil , aber , sondern denn etc
    ZB ich möchte Journalismus studiern, Weil ich interrissere ( this is not correct spelling for interested just too lazy to look it up :P ) mich für schreiben (I would like to study journalism because I am interested in writing.

Note: Subordinating change word order like in above sample and always have a comma before them.
    Whereas coordinating conjunctions don't
    ZB: und, aber , denn .

- if you start a sentance with a subordinating conjunction, the sentence must follow verb, comma, verb rule
    ZB: Wenn das Wetter gut ist, gehe ich ins Freibad ( when the weather is good, i will go to the swimming pool)

Hope this helps a little :)

Word order in first sentence , stupid autocorrect :P

Telling you grammar is everything! And WOULD ! You lose so much marks for having the word order wrong, the eve before german I will be focusing entirely on grammar and some vocab!

Most important aspects of grammar:

- subject verb object ( nominative , verb , accusative in other word)
    ZB. Ich gehe einkaufen (I go shopping) (Gehen is associated with 'on foot')
    -time, manner , place
    ZB am Abend gehe/fahre ich ins Kino (in the evening I go/ drive to the cinema )
    - know conjunctions (coordinating and subordinating) to get your expression up in your letter , Weil , aber , sondern denn etc
    ZB ich möchte Journalismus studiern, Weil ich interrissere ( this is not correct spelling for interested just too lazy to look it up :P ) mich für schreiben (I would like to study journalism because I am interested in writing.

Note: Subordinating change word order like in above sample and always have a comma before them.
    Whereas coordinating conjunctions don't
    ZB: und, aber , denn .

- if you start a sentance with a subordinating conjunction, the sentence must follow verb, comma, verb rule
    ZB: Wenn das Wetter gut ist, gehe ich ins Freibad ( when the weather is good, i will go to the swimming pool)

Hope this helps a little :)
    Awesome ty... Question time! does the time manner place thing only apply to present tense? right? and I didnt know co-ordinating conjuctions get no commas :eek:

Awesome ty... Question time! does the time manner place thing only apply to present tense? right? and I didnt know co-ordinating conjuctions get no commas :eek:

I dunno actually, I would say so cos the sentance structure would become too complicated :P

We'll you can use commas but I never do they don't dock you marks like:P like look at this sentance

Ich treibe Sport am Samstag und ich gehe nachts in Kino ( you don't need a comma there!)
    Translation: i play sport on Saturdays and at night I go to the cinema.

However you could use a comma in a sentence like this:
    Ich gehe nicht ins Kino, denn ich habe viele Hausaufgaben.

I won't go to the cinema, because I have lots of of homework.

It just depends on the context of the sentence :)

• Advertisement

I dunno actually, I would say so cos the sentance structure would become too complicated :P

We'll you can use commas but I never do they don't dock you marks like:P like look at this sentance

Ich treibe Sport am Samstag und ich gehe nachts in Kino ( you don't need a comma there!)
    Translation: i play sport on Saturdays and at night I go to the cinema.

However you could use a comma in a sentence like this:
    Ich gehe nicht ins Kino, denn ich habe viele Hausaufgaben.

I won't go to the cinema, because I have lots of of homework.

It just depends on the context of the sentence :)

yeah thats what I do :) How were you on the listening? Ive been practising them but dont seem to be getting better :confused:

My listening isn't the best but just read question and write loads! :P

What topics you learning for written?

My listening isn't the best but just read question and write loads! :P

What topics you learning for written?

Environment, alcohol, drugs, bullying, foreign language, healthy eating, tourism in Ireland, pressure in school and all that stuff about school, we touched homelessness and I feel i should do something on Maybe the world cup and European elections cause it quite topical but Havn't done anything as of yet. To be honest we dont really learn of fancy phrases and stuff Our teacher gives us vocab and we just make up the sentences I like it that way plus you learn more and i think examiners prfare it that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Lesverstandnisse sind immer abwechslungsreich . Letztes jahr war etwas ganz anderes . Das Prüfer ist ganz verrückt!

Reading comprehensions are always varied. Last years was totally different (one about toy pig). The examiner ist totally crazy!

I enjoyed the toy pig one actually :P thought it was cute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Is everyone here doing the letter? I personally love the essay but very few people do it.

Is everyone here doing the letter? I personally love the essay but very few people do it.

80% of the time I would do letter cause you write about 4 different topics with a essay you just loads of info on one topic but if Its a good topic that I know alot on I would do essay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Das kommt darauf an. If it was a topic I knew a lot about yes . Letter is better for marks though .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lucyloo2014

HELP! Does anyone have any predictions for German? Topics/themes? Anything at all at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

My teacher was saying the conjunctions might come up for grammar section which would would make my day! The only topics that we really covered in school were bullying, health, computers, sport and homelessness. Absolutely bricking it if something other than this comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

My teacher thinks something on water will come up because of the water charges, after that we mostly studied technology, climate change (hasn't been up in a while), health, bullying and that's about it. I would try and learn some vocab, common verbs, because last year there was a section on blogging in the letter and that is just completely random, its so hard to predict German.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Does anybody know if anything topical has happened in Germany in the last year?

siobhaanx wrote: »
    My teacher thinks something on water will come up because of the water charges, after that we mostly studied technology, climate change (hasn't been up in a while), health, bullying and that's about it. I would try and learn some vocab, common verbs, because last year there was a section on blogging in the letter and that is just completely random, its so hard to predict German.

I think one of the years already did water meters and stuff when they introduced the water meters. Maybe something on the World cup will come up in the letter like "oh im going world cup its a big celebration here how about in Ireland?" you know stuff like that. They could also ask about European election Cause there only every 4 years but I doubt it would be specifically about the elections I'd say it will be more broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Theres really not much point trying to learn topics for german its so unpredicatble. Youre better off just practising some comprehensions and listening tests really, youll pick up useful vocab as you go. Comprehension + oral + aural = 75% of the exam!! And go over your oral ,aterial like the picture sequences and stuff itll help you , my german brains dead I havent studied it since the start of may :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Theres really not much point trying to learn topics for german its so unpredicatble. Youre better off just practising some comprehensions and listening tests really, youll pick up useful vocab as you go. Comprehension + oral + aural = 75% of the exam!! And go over your oral ,aterial like the picture sequences and stuff itll help you , my german brains dead I havent studied it since the start of may :o

:eek: didn't think there was that much going for the oral, aural and comprehensions. Some of the comprehensions are mental though, so random.

Grammar wise I'm fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

:eek: didn't think there was that much going for the oral, aural and comprehensions. Some of the comprehensions are mental though, so random.

Grammar wise I'm fecked

Haha same! Im not even gonna try and learn for the grammar section it would take so long and its only worth 6%, IM only going for a b3 anyway. But yeah theyre worth loads! 20% for oral, 25% for listening and 30% for the two comprehensions !!

Someone answer this please
    so helfen is a word followed by Dative right
    so-Ich Hilfe den Menschen-I help the people (dative plural)
    But what happens if Helfen(to help) was pushed to end of sentence
    Ich muss die Menschen Helfen-I must help the people(Accusative plural)
    or would it be-Ich Muss den Menschen Helfen-I must help the people(dative plural)

So pretty much would the word still go Dative case or will if go Accusative because it is before the Helfen(to help)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leaving cert1

I was wondering if someone could please do me the biggest favour ever and send me german notes on the world cup and bullying , it would be well appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leaving cert1

Environment, alcohol, drugs, bullying, foreign language, healthy eating, tourism in Ireland, pressure in school and all that stuff about school, we touched homelessness and I feel i should do something on Maybe the world cup and European elections cause it quite topical but Havn't done anything as of yet. To be honest we dont really learn of fancy phrases and stuff Our teacher gives us vocab and we just make up the sentences I like it that way plus you learn more and i think examiners prfare it that way

Would you be able to send me some notes on healthy eating, bullying and the world cup please!!! I really need them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Whats the difference between "Es ist" and "Es wird"?

Also, when exactly should you put "zu" before a verb? e.g zu machen

Advertisement