Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question that needs to be answered!!!

Options
  • 08-06-2014 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all,
    So I'm trying to remember my very first concert when I was a kid and looked up online to find the exact date but according to (the bastards of) the internet it never happened. So I'm hoping someone could please help me with this one.
    It's going back a bit is the only thing.
    I remember my very concert being Red Hot Chili Peppers in Lansdowne Road at some point in the summer of 2002 or 2003 with support from (I'm 99% sure it was) Queens of the Stone Age.
    RHCP touring off the By the Way album and QOTSA touring off Rated R.

Did this concert actually happen or am I going mental and if so what was the date?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Trilogy

shaneovan wrote: »
    Hello all,
    So I'm trying to remember my very first concert when I was a kid and looked up online to find the exact date but according to (the bastards of) the internet it never happened. So I'm hoping someone could please help me with this one.
    It's going back a bit is the only thing.
    I remember my very concert being Red Hot Chili Peppers in Lansdowne Road at some point in the summer of 2002 or 2003 with support from (I'm 99% sure it was) Queens of the Stone Age.
    RHCP touring off the By the Way album and QOTSA touring off Rated R.

Did this concert actually happen or am I going mental and if so what was the date?
    Cheers!

Yep I was at that gig, now married to the fella I went with ;)

Can't remember the exact time but could find out if ya really wanted to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

didn't new order open for them at that gig? july 2002 i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneovan

Trilogy wrote: »
    Yep I was at that gig, now married to the fella I went with ;)

Can't remember the exact time but could find out if ya really wanted to know!

Hello!!! Yes, that would be pure amazeballs!! Thank you so much, concerts mean the world to me and to not be able to remember if my very first one happened or even the date is horrible :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

I think you might be mixing up two gigs, on June 25th 2002 they played Landsdowne with support from New Order and The Walls.

Then they headlined Slane on the 23rd of August 2003, with the Foo Fighters and QOTSA supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

mark13 wrote: »
    I think you might be mixing up two gigs, on June 25th 2002 they played Landsdowne with support from New Order and The Walls.

Then they headlined Slane on the 23rd of August 2003, with the Foo Fighters and QOTSA supporting them.

That's correct. Was at both of those gigs. Lansdowne gig was pretty poor as far as I remember. Slane was great though.
    If I remember correctly I think New Order actually played a longer set than RHCP at the Lansdowne gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That's correct. Was at both of those gigs. Lansdowne gig was pretty poor as far as I remember. Slane was great though.
    If I remember correctly I think New Order actually played a longer set than RHCP at the Lansdowne gig.

Yeah I think you might be right. New Order were excellent I thought but crowd seemed to give them a hard time, except when Frusciante came out to play a song with them. RHCP's seemed pissed and played a very short set.

2001 in Slane hasn't been lived up to since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The New Order set was front loaded with material of Get Ready which didn't seem to win them new fans or please old ones. Some classics were pulled out towards the end but I think they'd lost the crowd entirely and lost interest themselves leaving the stage with the line "Tell your parents you saw us".

I don't recall RHCP being that bad but the crowd had got fairly restless after New Order being too sedate and RHCP also seemed to go with a setlist that wasn't fast or energetic enough for them.

The thing to remember is the Irish team had returned from the 2002 World Cup the week before to a huge homecoming event in the Phoenix Park which had every teenager in Dublin out to greet them with an inflatable tricolour hammer. This crowd then basically reformed in Landsdowne complete with their hammers and flags looking to recreate that. The atmosphere went out the door when the music didn't give them what they wanted and the highlight people most remember is a chancer climbing some rigging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hello!!! Yes, that would be pure amazeballs!! Thank you so much, concerts mean the world to me and to not be able to remember if my very first one happened or even the date is horrible :-D

Did you actually just type 'Amazeballs'???

That's a banning if ever i heard one

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneovan

scudzilla wrote: »
    Did you actually just type 'Amazeballs'???

That's a banning if ever i heard one

Hahaha, don't care. I honestly just made this account so I could ask this question and that's it :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hahaha, don't care. I honestly just made this account so I could ask this question and that's it :-D

That's how it starts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

mark13 wrote: »

Slane was great that year alright

Advertisement