Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid

Options
  • 08-06-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Good and bad spots in cork? Where to avoid? where to avoid on a night out??? Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

For christ sake its cork not bagdad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Anywhere starting with 'The'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

To be honest, I've seen bad stuff going on in 'good areas' and good stuff going on in 'bad areas'. Keep your wits about you (don't go down dark alley ways, cross the road if uncomfortable, keep your bag zipped etc) and you should be fine.
    I've only been in Cork a year and a half and was really wary at first because I heard it to be rough, but I've found it to be so friendly and chilled and felt far safer here at night than I ever did living in the city center of Galway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Patrick Street , Oliver Plunket street, Washington Street.
    between the 3 of them you'll entertain yourselves no problem. If you're that nervous just get a taxi to one of those places , and get a taxi home afterwards.
    You're coming down to Cork for a weekend , not scaling everest. Threads about hotels , hostels , pubs, nightclubs and now about safe places in Cork ?

Good Lord lady , you'll be spending so much time watching out for murderers you'll forget to enjoy yourself.
    It isn't bloody Mad Max down here you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rebecca Gleeson

Well for Christ sake if you don't like my post then you know where you can go

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

degsie wrote: »
    Anywhere starting with 'The'

Like The Lough is it? Afraid you'll be attacked by the ducks? :)

Jesus sorry if i don't want any sh#it happening to me when in down there if its not that bad then why does everyone i speak to say its a terrible place

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Who says its terrible? FFS

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

So don't come to Cork. I certainly wouldn't go somewhere I didn't think I'd be safe.
    Hence I don't go to Iraq or Afghanistan on holidays.

My point is that Cork is perfectly safe to go out in , as long as you don't go looking for trouble. Same as every city in Ireland I've ever been out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Its far from a terrible place, Id feel much safer walking around Cork than I would Dublin.
    Like any other city, if you insist on staying in the cheap hostel in a rundown part of town, your chances of running into trouble will increase

• Advertisement

My niece got my phone that wasn't me Dave sorry

Jesus ye don't have to attack me like, sorry just want to keep safe and have a good time, looking forward to touring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Not the easiest question to answer, most of the black spots were drug and or feud related, that rarely spills over to civilians.

What does though is the roaming gangs of youths who will attack in broad day light, midnight, in front of Garda stations, crowds and nothing short of sever intervention counter measures will have any effect.

If you are coming down for one of the 'festivals' or the Marguee we do have a very low rate of disruption [Kinsale Sporting events aside] and there is rarely any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Rebecca cop yourself on, its Ireland, its safe........just relax and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Jesus ye don't have to attack me like, sorry just want to keep safe and have a good time, looking forward to touring around.

Get a tour bus or go with a walking tour, early morning seems a good time for a walk around and it's usually a good time for taking photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just what I need on a quiet Sunday morning !!

Thread closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry OP but if you're as nervous as a kitten coming to Cork, FFS NEVER go to London!!

Cork is like any other city in the world. You get tossers and idiots EVERYWHERE! Standard drill - keep your hand on your drinks, never get so pissed you don't know where you are or what you're doing, and get a marked taxi home. Simples!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement