Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Plenty of all types on the Greenhills road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Am I the only person who has tried these and doesn't like them. They taste nothing like the other capsules

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Who do you expect to fix the Nespresso machine that is damaged by a compatible capsule exactly?

IANAL, but EU case law, this has already been case law set on this with regards to HP printers and generic cartridges.

Anyway, there would be no way Nespresso could know or prove that it broke due to using a generic pod, just don't tell them!
    skelligs wrote: »
    The new machines looks like a double size capsule.

Current capsules have 6g of coffee
    Office/commercial capsules have 8g of coffee
    The new Vertuo capsules have 12g of coffee.

A good coffee shop serving a 12oz coffee will use 15g of coffee.

So really for a decent coffee you need 2 capsules.

Reading up on it, turns out the new machines aren't designed to overcome patents, but rather are designed to better target the US market.

Turns out Americans prefer, large Americano style coffees rather then Espresso's which Europeans prefer. Nespresso has only 3% * of the US market, versus Krupes which have 70% of the market with machines designed for larger American style coffee. Here in Europe Nespresso has something like 80% of the market.

So these new Nespresso machines are aimed to capture this US market for large coffees, they currently don't plan on selling these machines in Europe. However it is doubtful these machines will be particularly successful as the Krupes K-cups are now out of patent and the market is now being flooded with cheaper and greater variety of compatible k-cups.

* Single server capsule market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW I picked up these new Lidl pods and I've tried the Classico and Ristretto and I have to say they are both excellent. In fact I think the Ristretto might be better then the equivalent Nespresso pod, though in fariness I'd probably have to do a blind taste test to confirm.

But I'm very, very happy with these.

BTW the pods themselves aren't airtight like the Nespresso pods, the Lidl ones come in an air tight bag instead. Now I don't believe it makes any difference in taste, but I know some people have special fancy holders/display cabinets for their Nespresso pods, so FYI these probably won't fit in these.

Also I haven't had any problem with using these pods, they seem to fit perfectly and no need to exert extra pressure on the lever like mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who has tried these and doesn't like them.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

bk wrote: »

BTW the pods themselves aren't airtight like the Nespresso pods, the Lidl ones come in an air tight bag instead. Now I don't believe it makes any difference in taste, but I know some people have special fancy holders/display cabinets for their Nespresso pods, so FYI these probably won't fit in these.

Also I haven't had any problem with using these pods, they seem to fit perfectly and no need to exert extra pressure on the lever like mentioned above.

I have bought many fake pods in France and they all come in these airtight sachets - I presume it is because they are plastic. So they don't fit the Nespresso holders, but that is the only disadvantage I can see.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I have bought many fake pods in France and they all come in these airtight sachets - I presume it is because they are plastic. So they don't fit the Nespresso holders, but that is the only disadvantage I can see.

Yes, I assume Nespresso has a still valid patent on using airtight pods. Not a biggy for me, didn't have a holder anyway.

I'm going to France on Friday - dying to see what the Lidl pods cost over there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Got all 3 types in Lidl Togher today... tried them and very happy... most expensive I ever bought though due to the kids picnic bench I bought as well!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Yes, I assume Nespresso has a still valid patent on using airtight pods. Not a biggy for me, didn't have a holder anyway.

Pretty sure the Robert Roberts one's are airtight, they don't come in individual sachets anyway... As far as I know Nestle recently lost a patent case relating to the pods recently hence there's gonna be a load of alternative brands on the market in the next few months..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Bought 4 Packs at €1.99 each in Lidl in Celbridge. Tastes great. Thanks for the tip.

Got all 3 types in Lidl Togher today... tried them and very happy... most expensive I ever bought though due to the kids picnic bench I bought as well!!!
    Lidl and Aldi do well on impulse buys! I have been known to go in for a bag of carrots and come out with a chain saw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Lidl and Aldi do well on impulse buys! I have been known to go in for a bag of carrots and come out with a chain saw!

Or a wetsuit :D

I wouldn't normally be a lungo drinker, but I have just had one of these Lidl ones, and am not surprised to find it was just great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted them in the Lidl on the Coal Quay (Cork) this morning so guess they're in all the Lidl shops by now. Good addition to their range of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bought some of these last night, was late so only tried 1 espresso, very happy with it, far better than Café pod and others I have tried, would have to go head to head with Nespresso in a blind taste, but first impressions is these are every bit as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Loads of stock in Fermoy Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

IANAL, but EU case law, this has already been case law set on this with regards to HP printers and generic cartridges.

Anyway, there would be no way Nespresso could know or prove that it broke due to using a generic pod, just don't tell them!

Perhaps they wouldn't know, unless there were bits of the old pod inside the machine!

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I have tasted several compatible ones, including the Lidl ones today, and, while reasonable (apart from the Lungo which is muck) they are not as smooth tasting

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

I agree about it not being as smooth tasting. But it's close enough. Like >95% there. It's such a small volume too that it's finished before you think too much about it. And at 20c a cup, & you don't have to travel to Dublin &/or order online, how bad?

• Advertisement

Perhaps they wouldn't know, unless there were bits of the old pod inside the machine!

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I have tasted several compatible ones, including the Lidl ones today, and, while reasonable (apart from the Lungo which is muck) they are not as smooth tasting

Think you're in the minority here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Tried the lungo today, 60ml pour not a 110ml pour which is bull for 5g of coffee . Found it ok and generally I hate nespresso still I'd put up with the hassle of ground coffee instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

The espresso one was muck, the ristretto was nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I picked up a box of each of them the other day, I don't think they taste as nice as the nespresso one's tbh.
    Saying that for the price they're handy to have around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Off topic a bit.

I got an email and letter yesterday from Nespresso announcing a new lungo. Supposedly I am eligble for a 'free' 16 capsule lungo and intenso discovery set if I order 300 capsules.

I sent them an email about Lidl's capsules and how as a loyal customer I didn't fancy ordering 300 capsules costing approx. €150 for a 'free' discovery set of 16 capsules worth around €5/6.

(I normally order 200 capsules every few months.)

Haven't tried the Lidl ones yet but they might be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

odckdo wrote: »
    Off topic a bit.

I got an email and letter yesterday from Nespresso announcing a new lungo. Supposedly I am eligble for a 'free' 16 capsule lungo and intenso discovery set if I order 300 capsules.

I sent them an email about Lidl's capsules and how as a loyal customer I didn't fancy ordering 300 capsules costing approx. €150 for a 'free' discovery set of 16 capsules worth around €5/6.

(I normally order 200 capsules every few months.)

Haven't tried the Lidl ones yet but they might be the way to go.

My email offered me the free 16 capsules if I bought 180 - but they have to be bought in the boutique, not online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Bought a box of the ristretto today. Didnt buy more than 1 box as ordered a blast from coffee club recently and they were rubbish. Have to say as long as lidl keep stocking them, I wont be buying nespresso arpeggio anymore. The lidl ristretto is perfect for me.

I think Lidl are being very smart in offering these pods in Ireland. I am in France right now, where supermarkets have umpteen different types of nespresso lookalikes, some better than others and quite a few almost as expensive as nespresso. Interestingly though, no sign of anything in the local Lidl here. I would say they have figured out the lack of alternatives in Ireland and are not bothering with them in France....well not yet, anyway. Hopefully it means that they will keep good stocks in the Lidl shops at home. I'm delighted with all three types, and probably won't bother bringing any home from France this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

We tried them here and one capsule got stuck. Managed to get it out eventually but buyer beware.

Have to agree, the taste is nowhere near as good as genuine Nespresso. Tried both Lungo and Ristretto varieties.

mrcheez wrote: »
    We tried them here and one capsule got stuck. Managed to get it out eventually but buyer beware.

Have to agree, the taste is nowhere near as good as genuine Nespresso. Tried both Lungo and Ristretto varieties.

Well you might be in the minority - most people seem very pleased with the taste. I certainly find them every bit as good as nespresso, and much easier to buy....and cheaper.

Well you might be in the minority - most people seem very pleased with the taste. I certainly find them every bit as good as nespresso, and much easier to buy....and cheaper.

All 50 people in the office don't like them ... not really in the minority

The lungo tastes like Nescafé granules ... and both types are a little too watery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All 50 people in the office don't like them ... not really in the minority

The lungo tastes like Nescafé granules ... and both types are a little too watery

Same in work with us- I can't think of anyone who actually likes them- we're just drinking them because we've bought them, and are looking forward to be shot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Tried them. Thought they were nasty - all three. If anything would make you loyal to nespresso (who hopefully will up their game further with the competition) it would be that quality of alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 overturn

I tried the Lungo today. It is half the price and less than quarter the flavour....

The ristretto are ok, but really not a patch on the genuine article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Tried the lungo today and thought they were OK but nothing more. Think I'll be sticking with the original.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Had lungo today also and wasn't overly impressed. Was ok, about the level of some of the poorer nespresso ones.

Good to have a cupboard/local option for when run out etc, but a bit dissapointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

robert roberts or however you spell it are doing a similar product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

I have seen the Robert Roberts as well as a Bewleys product for Nespresso (I think 3 flavours each) in Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

copacetic wrote: »
    Had lungo today also and wasn't overly impressed. Was ok, about the level of some of the poorer nespresso ones.

Good to have a cupboard/local option for when run out etc, but a bit dissapointed.

Tried the lungo and the espresso, but both feel very watery, especially the lungo one. I have a CitiZ and maybe it is not able to push through the water with enough pressure, but the holes on the plastic for the capsules look very small.

Also it requires a little more force to lower the lever on the machine.

alksander wrote: »
    I have seen the Robert Roberts as well as a Bewleys product for Nespresso (I think 3 flavours each) in Dunnes.

Both expensive enough though. I think the Lidl ones are excellent value for money....particularly given the number of thise things I drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I bought the Lungo y'day, tried it this morning and found it to be a pretty good substitute to mid intensity lungos from Nespresso like Vivalto and Linizio. I use 2 capsules for my morning coffee and honestly spending €0,80 with Nespresso capsules feels like a bit of a rip off. I still use the original capsules for my single shots as I like the variety that Nespresso offers.
    Havent tried the Nespresso Fortissio capsules yet which are a high intensity lungo. I'll be ordering those in my next batch to see if I can live with only 1 capsule in the morning.
    But honestly I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Lidl capsules. Had tried some supermarket bought ones in Spain this summer and they were extremely light, ended using 4 every morning which was a huge pain in the butt.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Havent tried the Nespresso Fortissio capsules yet which are a high intensity lungo. I'll be ordering those in my next batch to see if I can live with only 1 capsule in the morning.

Have you tried Rosabaya de Colombia? It's excellent as a shot (which it is designed for), but makes a pretty damned good lungo as well. The fortissio lungos are strong and pretty good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Meh. Coffee is coffee. Just like red wine is red wine. Cheap is good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wait until you're a little older and develop taste for the better things in life.
    Someone who says coffee is coffee, or red wine is red wine- hasn't lived life.
    Quality is better than quantity- sometimes you can get a bargain- but cheap, or indeed expensive- does not necessarily equate with bad or good.

I'd rather drink tap water- than bad wine. I'd rather have a glass of milk in the morning- than a cup of bad coffee.

As the Aussies have famously preached and practiced- cheap wine is best used for de-icing airports and cars. Not drank.

Yeah, sure a tub of Nescafé Gold Blend is all anyone needs tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

There speaks a wise man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If you need a receptacle for loose nails and screws that is. But not for Coffee, dear God no

I was being sarcastic... forgot the emoticon :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Wait until you're a little older and develop taste for the better things in life.
    Someone who says coffee is coffee, or red wine is red wine- hasn't lived life.

In fairness, a lot of people dont like coffee or red wine, is that because they are not as old or experienced as you, o wise sage?

There is a lot more to life then coffee or red wine, trust me...maybe when you are a bit older you'll understand :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Catmologen wrote: »
    In fairness, a lot of people dont like coffee or red wine, is that because they are not as old or experienced as you, o wise sage?

There is a lot more to life then coffee or red wine, trust me...maybe when you are a bit older you'll understand :cool:

Wind yer neck in. The post he was replying to was this

'Meh. Coffee is coffee. Just like red wine is red wine. Cheap is good.'

Or do you agree with the above comment?

Advertisement