Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

I'm sure it's been mentioned but be careful with the compatible pods. The compatible ones from Lidl broke our Citiz machine. Worked perfectly fine up until a Lidl pod was used.

Great price for the pods but we've to buy a new machine now. bargain! :(

It’s unlikely the plastic pods will damage your machine, I'm only confident of this due to the fact that Nespresso have had to change their warranty to cover compatible pods because they failed to establish that they can damage machines.

It’s possible that the plastic vs aluminium might cause the pressure in the machine to change.

You should try cleaning the capsule holder, then cleaning and descaling the machine and while you’re at it reset it to producing the right amount of coffee.

When your closing the machine make sure that the capsule is in correctly. This can vary between the plastic and official ones but cleaning the capsule holder should have taken care of any issues.

As far as the Pods go, I think the Nespresso ones are superior but at the price the lidl ones are an acceptable substitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

I've been using them since they came out and I've had no issue with them. IMO, they are just as good as the nespresso branded ones.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

art wrote: »
    That's a bit sweeping - "Nespresso" don't make machines, various companies do, a KitchenAid Nespresso machine for example is anything but cheap and plasticky.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But the point I'm trying to make is that at about €100 to €150, Nespresso machines are really quiet cheap devices, that are almost completely made out of plastic.

They certainly aren't built to the quality and materials of a €1000 Gaggia. Of course, as you say, such expensive machines can break down too, but they are designed so that parts can be replaced and repaired. That isn't the case with a Nespresso machine. It is a pretty cheap all in one consumer device, if it breaks you just have to replace it.

And there is nothing wrong with that. It is what, it is.

But people wouldn't be surprised if their kettle broke after 5 years of daily use. So I'm wondering why people are surprised that their cheap consumer plastic Nespresso machine breaks after 5 years! That is a pretty good lifespan for such consumer products.
    Dudda wrote: »
    Saying you hate all the Lidi pods and they are all terrible after tasting just one isn't really fair when they have three different types.

Yes, I was wondering that to. Lidl make 3 different types. Nespresso over 20, which are you comparing?

And how you drinking it, straight up Espresso shot with no sugar? Or a cappuccino, late, americano, etc.?

All these can make a big difference to peoples preferences. For instance I prefer the Classico for straight Espresso, but the Ristretto with a cappuccino.

Everyone is different and has different tastes.

But I'd certainly recommend people to give it an honest try. Even better to try doing a blind taste test, to see which one you prefer and if you can even tell a difference. Bypass any bias caused by Nespresso's impressive marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@kneejerk - I'm pretty sure the Lidl pod was plastic.
    I've tried everything to get the machine working. I've gone through pages and pages of forums with all sorts of suggestions and none have worked. On the phone for hours with Nespresso themselves. My machine is kaput.

Edit: The rubber band worked to some degree but I'd say I was only getting about half the coffee. The rest going into the reservoir.

If the compatible pods work, great! It'll save you a small fortune. I won't be using them in my new machine - I guess I was one of the unlucky ones. My problem isn't an isolated incident. Plenty of others have had the same problem after using compatible pods. I only wanted to share my experience with the compatible pods from Lidl. I don't fancy losing a second machine :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I like the Lidl pods - it's a matter of taste. I drink a fair bit of coffee so can save a lot of money and trouble using the Lidl pods, but I think I am just lucky that I happen to like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

Very happy with this coffee love t taste

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ProjectMoose, just to point out, if your machine breaks in it's 3 year warranty period, even if you use compatible pods, Nespresso are still required to repair or replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Have tired the lidl pods & the bewleys one a few times find them just awful.

Thanks bk, yep I know that but I'd be without coffee for the repair time ;) I need my daily coffee fix :p
    bk wrote: »
    ProjectMoose, just to point out, if your machine breaks in it's 3 year warranty period, even if you use compatible pods, Nespresso are still required to repair or replace it.

Thanks bk, yep I know that but I'd be without coffee for the repair time ;) I need my daily coffee fix :p

Given that I'm sitting here with a lovely Lidl "Nespresso" Cappuccino in one hand, I totally understand :D

• Advertisement

Dolce gusto anyone ;) ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

You do know they will leave you a replacement machine the day they take your other one for repair?! For free!

youngblood wrote: »
    You do know they will leave you a replacement machine the day they take your other one for repair?! For free!

Yes, that is true - a friend of mine had to get her 2.5year old nespresso repaired because it was leaking (nothing to do with the pods, as they were nespresso). She got a replacement during the repair, and the repaired machine came back with a 6 month warranty on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I've succumed and gone back to Nespresso pods.

Whilst the Lidl Pods are OK - they don't have trhe refinement of the Nespresso coffee.

Bewleys also had a bland taste with little body.

The Super Valu pods are the best of the non Nespresso pods IMO, but still a fair bit off Nespresso.

For me the compatibles are fine for when you just want a caffeine hit, but for variety and refinement, the Nespresso are worth the money.

Obviously, an even better coffee will come from a decent bean to cup machine with top quality beans - (I have a coffee dock in one of my stores and use Java republic), but for convienence, its difficult to beat the Nespresso + their own pods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

delahuntv wrote: »
    I've succumed and gone back to Nespresso pods.

Whilst the Lidl Pods are OK - they don't have trhe refinement of the Nespresso coffee.

Bewleys also had a bland taste with little body.

The Super Valu pods are the best of the non Nespresso pods IMO, but still a fair bit off Nespresso.

For me the compatibles are fine for when you just want a caffeine hit, but for variety and refinement, the Nespresso are worth the money.

Obviously, an even better coffee will come from a decent bean to cup machine with top quality beans - (I have a coffee dock in one of my stores and use Java republic), but for convienence, its difficult to beat the Nespresso + their own pods.

I totally agree with you.

I thought the Lidl/Bewleys pods were fine until I went back to the Nespresso pods. No comparison really

• Registered Users Posts: 18 garrett b

Hi
    I was in Aldi earlier and noticed they are now (finally) selling their own Coffee Pods- Alcafe Nespresso compatible pods. There seems to be at least three strengths/varieties. I know Robt.Roberts make Aldi's ground coffee, perhaps the they do the same for the pods.
    Anyone try them? What do we think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

garrett b wrote: »
    Hi
    I was in Aldi earlier and noticed they are now (finally) selling their own Coffee Pods- Alcafe Nespresso compatible pods. There seems to be at least three strengths/varieties. I know Robt.Roberts make Aldi's ground coffee, perhaps the they do the same for the pods.
    Anyone try them? What do we think?

Is the price the same as the lidl ones? Might see if my local has any in later.

€1:99 pack of ten. Tall, narrow cardboard box, very similar in appearance to Nespresso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Got these in Aldi last night. pack of 10 for €1.99. Brand is Alcafe.

They had about 4 different types on the shelf last night. Got me some Lungo (strength 9) :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Got these in Aldi last night. pack of 10 for €1.99. Brand is Alcafe.

They had about 4 different types on the shelf last night. Got me some Lungo (strength 9) :cool:

Are they nice?

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Are they nice?

I thought so.

My coffee taste buds have been violated for years by the clumps of dust they provide us with work so the bar has been set low but I liked what I tasted this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Are they nice?

I know its personal preferences here but I think you get what you pay for here, Ive gone through a few boxes of the aldi capsules since they started stocking them and day to day theyre "ok". But as an earlier poster, I picked up a real nespresso pack last week as I was in town and no comparison for me. Taste is immediately better with the nespresso. was like i was drinking a weak coffee with the aldi stuff.

for me, if there was nothing else there and I wanted a coffee, the aldi stuff is fine, but drinking it all the time? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

And any issues using them in the Nespresso machine, do they fit OK or need any pressure to get the lever down?

And any issues using them in the Nespresso machine, do they fit OK or need any pressure to get the lever down?

Not for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Not for me anyway.

nor me. they fit fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Same here , they fit fine in my machine too. I think some people with the smaller machines had issues.
    I like the lidl lungo ones for day to day use and the nespresso real ones for those few times a week I want a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

This what they look like. Gonna try them now.

muirsheen wrote: »
    This what they look like. Gonna try them now.

Interesting, are the these Aldi pods wrapped in individual foil wrappers like the Lidl ones or is there no wrapper like the Nespresso ones?

Interesting, are the these Aldi pods wrapped in individual foil wrappers like the Lidl ones or is there no wrapper like the Nespresso ones?

Not wrapped individually. Nearly carbon copy of the nespresso pods.

• Advertisement

Aldi pods

Aldi pods

Thanks, that sounds like an advantage over the Lidl pods so, each of which comes in its own individual wrapper, which adds bulk.

The Lidl pods don't fit in those fancy Nespresso pod dispensers that you can buy, but it looks like these ones might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

They can't be too bad. All sold out in Aldi, Mahon in Cork. Well, apart from an open box of decaf!! Just in case anyone is thinking of heading there.

Went in especially after reading this thread.

Yeah, in my experience they are flying off the shelves in both Lidl and Tesco too. Often sold out.

Looks like Nespresso made a big mistake in not at least selling some of their range in normal stores. It is ironic that the Tesco ones are actually as expensive as the Nespresso ones. Just goes to show that there was a big pent up demand for the simple convenience of buying them with your normal weekly shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Yeah, in my experience they are flying off the shelves in both Lidl and Tesco too. Often sold out.

Looks like Nespresso made a big mistake in not at least selling some of their range in normal stores. It is ironic that the Tesco ones are actually as expensive as the Nespresso ones. Just goes to show that there was a big pent up demand for the simple convenience of buying them with your normal weekly shop.

Exactly. I'm nowhere near a Brown Thomas to pick them up and because of where I live and work can't get them delivered either. Have to get them delivered to my parents house and pick them up whenever I visit. Incredibly annoying compared to picking them up with the weekly shop.

Looking forward to trying the new Aldi ones. My GF will like they have decaf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭crayon80

Love how they didn't bother to even try and hide the similarity with the boxes as well as the pods. Take that Nespresso :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I immediately want to try the colombian ones!
    Never knew Aldi did them till now!
    AMazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What I want is Aldi's version of the Nespresso Machine https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/coffee/

Gets great reviews and is dirt cheap compared to Nespresso machines, circa €50ish. Think they hope to bring it to Europe soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭DaisyDLady

the aldi pods are rubbish. they are by far the worst nespresso compatable pods on the market.

got a box of the 4 types . used 1 pod out of each box , in a nespresso lungo cup and they were complete piss water.
    the rest are going in the bin.

Tried the intense, purple box. Tasted ok. Will do if I'm stuck.

Also to buy from nespresso is a lot of money especially when spending on coffee. The cheapest bundle is around 65e.

Near pay day these Aldi ones are very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

DaisyDLady wrote: »
    used 1 pod out of each box , in a nespresso lungo cup and they were complete piss water.

Realistically the amount of coffee a nespresso sized pod can contain is only enoigh to make 40ml. Lungo is supposed to be 110ml the lungo cup is 170ml to the top so easy to overfill.

Even With genuine nespresso capsules I would use 2 and top up with boiling water rather than over extract.

If you put that amount of water through a professional espresso machine with the same amount if grounds it would be piss.

I have no idea how nestle treat the coffee in the lungo capsules to make it tolerable with so little coffee so over extracted. Its not regular ground coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

the aldi pods are rubbish. they are by far the worst nespresso compatable pods on the market.

Worse than the Lidl pods? I thought the Lidl ones tasted like instant, so these must be dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I actually quite like the Lidl ones :o

Not as strong as nespresso but a nice flavour, I thought.

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I actually quite like the Lidl ones :o

Not as strong as nespresso but a nice flavour, I thought.

Have you tried the Lidl Ristretto ones? While not great for straight espresso, they are stronger and seem to work very well with Cappuccino, lattes and sugared Americanos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

got a box of the 4 types . used 1 pod out of each box , in a nespresso lungo cup and they were complete piss water.

Why bin them..return them for a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Why bin them..return them for a refund.

That's ridiculous.like buying a multipack of crisps eating one pack and then returning them or a pack of plasters using one and returning them

Only read this thread this morning.......very remiss of me not to keep checking. Dying to get my mits on these Aldi pods. I'm reasonably happy with the Lidl ones, but love the fact that these are not individually wrapped. Off to check Aldi in Wexford! Tks for posting guys!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you make the Aldi or Lidl coffee on an espresso setting and use 3-4 pods- its actually quite ok. I've just had 4 here now. A bit more bitter than I'd expect- but quite drinkable.

If you make the Aldi or Lidl coffee on an espresso setting and use 3-4 pods- its actually quite ok. I've just had 4 here now. A bit more bitter than I'd expect- but quite drinkable.

I'm not overly fussy about my coffee, and can manage bitter......so long as my coffee is strong, I'm happy. I do prefer the ones I get in France to the Lidl ones, but I just find getting the Nespresso ones a pain in the neck. I just want to pick up my coffee with my regular shopping.

Sounds like they are running off the shelves in Aldi - same thing happened with the Lidl ones at first, so hopefully things will settle down in Adi.

Spar have started selling their own pods now! (this is news to me).Saw them this morning, I think I've become trained to seek these things out. €2.00 ten pods. They don't look very appetising, sort of rough and ready packaging-little cardboard box, poor graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

garrett b wrote: »
    Spar have started selling their own pods now! (this is news to me).Saw them this morning, I think I've become trained to seek these things out. €2.00 ten pods. They don't look very appetising, sort of rough and ready packaging-little cardboard box, poor graphics.

Everyone seems to be selling there own branded ones now just waiting to the day you will walk into pennyes and they be selling there own branded pods LoL.

Another one that i am shocked dosint sell there own ones yet is TK Maxx ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement