Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nespresso compatible pods Lidl €1.99

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

youngblood wrote: »
    Aldi nespresson capsules tried & tested in the Nespresso U
    Ease of use-Not great- Biggest concern was that over the last 6 capsules, 3 got stuck. Could hear the machine under pressure to extract the coffee
    Taste- Seemed ok, better than lidl, only tested the colombian/lungo ones.
    Im reluctant to try anymore for fear of damage to the machine.

I got 4 packs, also noticed the exact same with my machine, sounds like the pump is under pressure, I won't buy again for that reason. Coffee was quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i just bought my first nespresso (inissia) and was wondering how people were getting on with the non nespresso pods in terms or affect on their machines... do they wreck them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jobless wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but i just bought my first nespresso (inissia) and was wondering how people were getting on with the non nespresso pods in terms or affect on their machines... do they wreck them?

Potentially yes. The Lidl ones were fine in my experience. But the Supervalu pods were too cheap and thick and jammed in my machine, causing water to back up and create a leak in the chamber. I bought two boxes of them and only 3 pods worked correctly. I dumped the rest and went back to the Lidl ones but the damage had been done.

Supervalu may have improved their pods since. They were only new at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The Lidl ones got jammed in our machine, but perhaps ymmv and it might be ok.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

The Lidl pods are better than the Aldi, and I used them for a good year or so, but I've ended up going back to the full price nespresso pods.

The Lidl ones were causing a leak in my machine (coffee packed too tight so the water couldn't get through?) so a lot of the water/coffee wasn't actually going into the cup. This meant I ended up using two Lidl pods a lot of the time, and that ends up being the same price as just using the real ones. And the real ones are tastier.

I work in the city centre so its not too much hassle for me to get the real ones either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I've pretty much settled on the Green Lidl capsules, no issues in my Magimix Nespresso machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I think that the more robust machines have no problem with most of these types of capsules. At least I have had no issues with the lidl ones, supervalue ones, asda and sainsbury's ones. This on my Krups citiz.
    But the smaller machines seem to have issues with jamming etc from what friends tell me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Winterlong wrote: »
    I think that the more robust machines have no problem with most of these types of capsules. At least I have had no issues with the lidl ones, supervalue ones, asda and sainsbury's ones. This on my Krups citiz.
    But the smaller machines seem to have issues with jamming etc from what friends tell me.

I'm not so sure. My machine was a Citiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've also found the Lidl ones fine, but the Aldi ones caused problem - this was on a nespresso citiz and milk machine

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I've also found the Lidl ones fine, but the Aldi ones caused problem - this was on a nespresso citiz and milk machine

Same here, Aldi ones either seem to be packed in too tight or the foil is too strong. The unit can't penetrate through the coffee or the foil. Noticed this on my parents machine and never bought them for mine. They have Essenza and i have a Pixie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

I bought these Online in June 2015. Seemed nice at the time.
    http://coffeemania.ie/shop/coffee-capsules-for-nespresso-machines/cafe-rene-nespresso-compatible-capsules-range/

No issues with compatibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

supervalu ones are the best of the cheap lot I find

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jobless wrote: »
    do they wreck them?

Yes- brother wrecked the Citiz I got him with Aldi pods.
    The Centra ones weren't any better.
    He managed to blag a replacement machine out of Nespresso and has sworn he'll not use the cheaper pods ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My advice is, if you don't want to use nespresso pods, if you find them too expensive, don't like the flavour or complain about the quality... Then don't buy the machine, they make it unbelievably easy to test all the machines, coffee and their pricing is very transparent...

There are plenty of other options for people who want other coffee, use one of them.

Nespresso machines are not made to be compatible with other types of pods, if you chose to use cheap alternatives you risk damaging your machine and even though you've asked for secondary options from strangers on the internet you'll only have yourself to blame if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Some nespresso machines were specifically designed to break compatibility with compatibles, its documented online so do your research before choosing a machine if you plan to go the nespresso compatible route, personally for home use I find a portafilter machine takes the same amount of time as I have to run two nespresso capsules to make a decent cup of coffee as opposed to just running more grounds in a larger basket and for the tiny hassle of cleaning and disposing of grinds I get a much better coffee with tons of crema. Obviously in an shared house / work / office scenario the grounds and mess could be a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks for the info guys... seems like they are a gamble to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

I've been using both nespresso and non nespresso capsules for the last 18 months and I've never had any issues with my machine. (touch wood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have stopped using these on my U machine. They tended to get stuck every 2nd or 3rd time. It's not a big deal pushing the stuck capsule out but it takes something away from the ease of use of the machine. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I could probably live with the capsule issue but the main reason I stopped using them was the taste. I ve tried Lidl, Aldi, SuperValu, Roberts, Bewleys and another brand that I don t remember the name of that I got in Avoca(similar price to originals). None of them come close to the originals in terms of flavour. I m by no means a coffee snob in any way and would drink an instant coffee if put in front of me etc but the difference between the cheap stuff and the real stuff in night and day. I bought the machine to have good coffee, quickly, at home so I am willing to pay a small bit extra for the originals.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I've been using the Lidl Black ones for over a year now in a Krupps machine. Great taste and have always been 1.69 for as long as I remember for a 10 pack.

There is a "nack" to getting them to slot in correctly though, a minor inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I have never bought a proper Nespresso capsule in my life. Pixie machine still going strong after four years. I find the Supervalu capsules work best - lungo and Comumbian are the ones I like best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Pixie has less moving parts than that of a U
    If i was to use non nespresso capsules in any machine, I'd only risk doing so in the pixie

This from someone who lost their U to the cheaper capsules......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

We use Lidl capsules in a Citiz machine.
    Aldi ones jam up and water drips in to the tray. SuperValu one don't even fit the machine and slip through the slot when you try to put them in.
    No issues at all with Lidl both in taste and price. Machine is running away fine after 6 years.

We just find the hassle of getting original capsules is too much as we are 45 mins drive to nearest stockists and online is just a bit of a rip off unless you buy in bulk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We just find the hassle of getting original capsules is too much as we are 45 mins drive to nearest stockists and online is just a bit of a rip off unless you buy in bulk.

I'm not willing to pay the postage- and am probably a lot further away from a stockist than you are- but I bulk purchase when I have to go to Dublin etc. They're not *that* expensive- and they are quite upfront about the costs- unlike some manufacturers. The only unusual cost of ownership of a Nespresso machine for most of us in Ireland- is descaleant- most of us probably need to descale 4-5 times more frequently than Nespresso suggest (because of how hard our water is). However- even this can be done cheaply- run a citric acid solution through the system every 4-6 weeks. Most of us have citric acid in our kitchen ingredient cupboards- so its not necessarily a cost per se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Been using mainly lidl ( supervalu occasionally ) in my magimix for over a year now. No issues with either, with a minimum of 5 cups per day every day! Though one very recent batch of black ristretto lidl seemed faulty, coffee grains coming through to cup. Also use purple and blue, perfect. Must buy more black see is it resolved. Anyone else find this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

There's a Magimix M105 in work here.
    A domestic unit, looks like a rebranded Bosch (possibly vice versa)

It must do 50-100 pods a day, everyday, for the last year.
    (large US multinational, 500 heads on this floor alone)

Animal of a machine, has never coughed and takes a mix of non-OEM capsules daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

fleet wrote: »
    There's a Magimix M105 in work here.
    A domestic unit, looks like a rebranded Bosch (possibly vice versa)

It must do 50-100 pods a day, everyday, for the last year.
    (large US multinational, 500 heads on this floor alone)

Animal of a machine, has never coughed and takes a mix of non-OEM capsules daily.

Same here.. had one in work, pure workhorse of a machine. When it came time to buy one for home, I was having nothing other than a Magimix.

Same here, one in work and the majority of people using non-nespresso capsules and running fine for well over a year. Probably made more coffee in that time that most domestic units will in their lifetime. I use aldi capsules in it, others use lidl and some order non-nespresso capsules online so it's getting a mix of everything along with an odd real capsule. It's a magimix also.

That being said I do notice one broken in one of the other coffee docks (we have multiple coffee docks with a machine in each) but don't know what happened it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My Inissia is still like new after going through thousands of generic pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I find that the Aldi ones do not work in my issinia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Have a nespresso u and have used a random variety of non nespresso pods with no major issues. In fact I seem to have less non pierced/stuck pods with aldi/Lidl than I did with the nespresso I used religiously for the first year. Having said that mine would be light use, 3-4 pods a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I had an issue at one stage with the purple Lidl pods sticking in my pixie. I think it was a bad batch, so must try them again. I find SuperValu ones excellent. The other day I bought some in Tesco - forget the brand, but cost €3.80 a pack, foil top and bottom - they won't pierce properly and coffee won't come through properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Lidl ones for me have been useless in the last month. May as well be drinking dirty water.

Advertisement