Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi won't turn on

Options
  • 08-06-2014 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

So, yesterday I got the Raspberry Pi Advanced Kit from Maplins and played around with the pre-installed Linux distro for a couple of hours. Me being tired, I shut down the machine, plugged it out, went to bed, got up the next morning and found a new Linux distro for me to mess with (a Debian-based Linux Mint). However, the Pi won't turn on. I have all the cables plugged in the correct way, exactly as I had them yesterday when it was working.
    The Pi won't turn on. The light for PWR lights up, but nothing is happening. I get no image on my TV and as far as I can tell, there's no activity going on. Anyone want to tell me how the f*ck do I turn on this device?
    In case it's important, I didn't really do anything with the pre-installed Linux distro. I just played around with the Midori web browser, played a couple of Python games, then shutdown using the LXTerminal command sudo shutdown -h now.
    The Pi is connected by ethernet cable to a an 8 port switch, which has cables going to my desktop and to my modem in the other room. Other than use the web browser, I didn't set up the Pi on my home network.
    EDIT:
    The Pi turned on when I used the 8GB SD card I got in the kit, the problem I was having was I was using a 16GB SD card for the Linux Mint Debian distro. The card isn't corrupt, because it was readable in Windows, so maybe the Pi can't handle a 16GB card?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Follow these instructions to edit the config.txt file for force HDMI detection, may help :) . The config.txt file should appear when you put the SD card into your card reader under Windows

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Found out what the problem was. The Linux distro I wanted to try wasn't compatible with ARM hardware. I'm now trying out RaspBMC, although I don't think I'll stick with it, since I want a more full fledged desktop, I may try a Debian port for Raspberry Pi.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Found out what the problem was. The Linux distro I wanted to try wasn't compatible with ARM hardware. I'm now trying out RaspBMC, although I don't think I'll stick with it, since I want a more full fledged desktop, I may try a Debian port for Raspberry Pi.
    Rasbian is what your after :) .

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Rasbian is what your after :) .

Nick
    Thanks. I'm using it now. Another question that I haven't been able to find an answer for - watching videos in the web browser?
    I tried installing gnash (replacement for flash), and tried it on Youtube (using both Midori and Iceweasel browsers), but framerate was horrible. No videos show up at all on any other sites.
    I do have Youtube playback using a terminal program called raspytube, which as far as I can tell, searches Youtube, I select a video, it then grabs the URL and sends it to OMXPlayer.
    There are two downsides. I've tried watching video at 1080p, but it doesn't work (tried setting the format at 1080p mp4 and 1080p webm). 720p playback works without a problem. OMX doesn't load if the format is set at 1080p.
    So is there a way to playback 1080p Youtube videos?
    Is there a way to play back videos on sites other than Youtube? I'm thinking sites like ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com, there's just a big blank space where the video should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Consider installing Openelec if you are concentrating on viewing video content. Plays 1080p flawlessly and has LOADS of addons including one for ThatGuyWithTheGlasses. Worth a try.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Consider installing Openelec if you are concentrating on viewing video content. Plays 1080p flawlessly and has LOADS of addons including one for ThatGuyWithTheGlasses. Worth a try.

Thanks. I'm liking OpenElec very much, however the plugin for TGWTG doesn't work. Beyond that, it's great fun to use. Cheers!

Advertisement