Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toastedpickles Saab 900 lpt build

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

pheelay wrote: »
    For reassembly, just read the thread backwards :)

You have the right idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Arah I'm just kidding! More so just saying how you're taking a car apart and I get confused taking a front bumper off...:D

166man wrote: »
    Arah I'm just kidding! More so just saying how you're taking a car apart and I get confused taking a front bumper off...:D

Yeah it's something i never thought id see myself doing, but here we are!

This little guy has made my life infinitely better

2ylqwy9.jpg

Anyways, got the front bumper off today, even if it did come down with a bang, onto me :( two big allen bolts hold it all in place

11tagyh.jpg
    e8n6g5.jpg

Car currently sits like this

34owzg7.jpg

Then it started raining :( If it stops, later I'll get the bonnet off and the slam panel, then wait till saturday :)

Small update today

Due to the weather I decided to call a half on the engine removal, so no fun and games until better weather, having a job now makes things infinitely easier now....hopefully :pac:

Pickles out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Small update today

Due to the weather I decided to call a half on the engine removal, so no fun and games until better weather, having a job now makes things infinitely easier now....hopefully :pac:

Pickles out

Yipee :D

I was wondering why you were so easily pushed to call it quits :)

Great news man fair play!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Yipee :D

I was wondering why you were so easily pushed to call it quits :)

Great news man fair play!

When i was texting you i was in the way up to the interview haha, probably could have done it now, I'm missing a lifting eye, so i need to get some form of chain/rope to use at the front

When i was texting you i was in the way up to the interview haha, probably could have done it now, I'm missing a lifting eye, so i need to get some form of chain/rope to use at the front

That was a quick response to the interview so!
    I've been routed by the other half for stuff now upon hearing it was called off :(

That was a quick response to the interview so!
    I've been routed by the other half for stuff now upon hearing it was called off :(

Lovely :( Need a hand? I've feck all to be doing here

Lovely :( Need a hand? I've feck all to be doing here

No, as in clothes shopping and general arsing about!!
    Fitting the spacers tonight though, will throw up a before and after!

• Advertisement

Progress is slow today, trying to get as much done in between the showers, so far we have the bonnet removed and the main ground line to the gearbox removed at last, one more line stands in the way

this

amf5vc.jpg

Once i find a way to get that out, engines coming out :) currently looks like so

a2ytjc.jpg

Carrying on from earlier

Found out how to get the line off, you need to remove the clutch cover, or child of satan as i like to fondly call it now, with three to five nuts holding this in place you can either have it easy like myself with three or a nightmare with 5, then with a lot of prying, pulling and swearing it comes out, it can certainly take abuse thats for sure, remove the bleeder screw from above and then go for the hydraulic line, 13mm spanner and a long nosed pliers does the rest

Here's what lurks behind

2vspvte.jpg

Dunno if this clutch plate is decent or not?

1e2bo8.jpg

Finally the engine can come out :D just have to wait for the rain to pass now

Final post for today

Its out, finally

But before it came out, at the halfway stage i encountered the fuel lines and a hose from the power steering pump

5owk21.jpg

10fxgeq.jpg

And then after much lowering of the car, pushing, shoving and of course, swearing we have this

2iw4m1c.jpg

Its now resting inside beside my house

24mic15.jpg

Today i started checking the extent of the rust in the bay, doesn't look too bad bar around the front so i don't have a mountain of work to do....hopefully

The passenger side of the bay has escaped a lot of it which surprised me it's just little spots here and there compared to the right and front, most of this should just come out with a brush and a hoover or something, then cut and weld the other bits in

Anyways, pics

dvhau1.jpg

vnyufa.jpg

2zpifk3.jpg

2moxxkm.jpg

152m4p3.jpg

2hdcr4p.jpg

68d7h0.jpg

29pc2zt.jpg

4id7gi.jpg

2dc8sa0.jpg

Small update today, so small i don't even know why i'm writing this :rolleyes:

Moved the positive battery cable out of the way, on wednesday gona get a few tools and parts and carry on!

Sorry about the weekend :D

Sorry about the weekend :D

Haha it's grand man :) no worries!

Haha it's grand man :) no worries!

Ah I know but it was a disaster really, thought you wouldn't go at it and then you did and I couldn't get there! I'll give you a hand yet :)

Ah I know but it was a disaster really, thought you wouldn't go at it and then you did and I couldn't get there! I'll give you a hand yet :)

In fairness it was a last minute decision on my part weather cleared up and thought sure feck it i can do this

And here we are :D

I was also talking to a guy who knows these cars inside out and i don't have to cut or weld anything in the front, partly cos most will be hidden :D

So today along with stuff for the 9-5 how could we forget the 900?

Get me some loctite rust remover, my mechanic swears by it so i want to see what all the fuss is about, Can't say not at a fiver, ordered some por 15 stuff too

I was going to get the bilt hamber deox gel, but seen this for the same price, and does twice the work so no brainer right? Looking forward to trying this out

http://www.cleancar.ie/por-15-prep-and-ready.html

Also got some more spanners and pliers and so on so i can carry on removing the hubs, repairing a cv boot cup and treating them, then onto the engine bay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

So today along with stuff for the 9-5 how could we forget the 900?

Get me some loctite rust remover, my mechanic swears by it so i want to see what all the fuss is about, Can't say not at a fiver, ordered some por 15 stuff too

I was going to get the bilt hamber deox gel, but seen this for the same price, and does twice the work so no brainer right? Looking forward to trying this out

http://www.cleancar.ie/por-15-prep-and-ready.html

Also got some more spanners and pliers and so on so i can carry on removing the hubs, repairing a cv boot cup and treating them, then onto the engine bay!

The bilt hamber stuff is better IMO. Deox gel followed by electrox is hard to beat for a long durable finish imo.

So my stuff came today,

Picked up some degreaser too, does a good job too

amr603.jpg

357gg02.jpg

2d8m1l.jpg

osao1i.jpg

After this i began removing the driveshafts as one needs a cv boot, and the other needed just to be tidied up, to remove it you need to disconnect the tie rods from the steering rack 21mm spanner does the trick for this, mark where the nut is before moving it, so you'l know when to stop when you're putting it back ;)

Tie rod out

xfdy0n.jpg

Then just pull the whole hub/driveshaft away!

2d8gmsj.jpg

The cv boot was damaged and the wheel bearing came away with out any force, it was a case of holding the fecker on to stop it from falling away

345k19d.jpg

So while i had the bearing off I decided to remove the ball joints, but they've been on so much they weren't budging

fkr292.jpg

Soooooooo :D

rj39f6.jpg

A few seconds later and it's out and its buggered!

c86tc.jpg

After this i coated it in loctite rust remover, don't want to be using the other stuff on them, I bought it for the engine bay, anyways, after that I gave it two coats of waxoyl and let it set

2wqvc00.jpg

After this took out the right hand one and got it prepped for the same tomorrow

Tomorrow I'll carry on with degreasing things/engine bay, and cleaning the crap out of the crevasses

Been a somewhat busy bee today, having regained normal functioning capabilities, today the steering rack, and front of the car came off/out

Lets begin!

Disconnect the return pipe from the rack, or the tank itself, so i done both, less clutter, to remove the pipe i used my own "special tool"

33a5jrb.jpg

the special tool, shop towels and a pliers

avr1ub.jpg

After this I undone the two 19mm mounting nuts and the pinion on the steering shaft, after a bit of moving about the pinion popped out

f2wpx.jpg

After this i had to turn the rack upside down, while bringing in one of the tie rod ends, a bit of manoeuvring around the bay and out she comes!

euonl3.jpg

Covered the main areas in plastic bags and put it aside, I also found out the front slam panel comes off, a bit stranger to most but anyways, the car now looks like this

2d97lgp.jpg

Gona get some brake cleaner soon as the local factors has it for a tenner, can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Wheres the rest of the fecking car :pac:

in all seriousness thats some going... when you got this car i never even thought the engine would come out never mind having it in many different parts !

Wheres the rest of the fecking car :pac:

in all seriousness thats some going... when you got this car i never even thought the engine would come out never mind having it in many different parts !

Neither did i but here we are :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Putting it back together is the hardest bit though ;)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Putting it back together is the hardest bit though ;)

Hardest or most fun? ;)

A few interesting Ideas being toyed with, early days, but none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

Is that autoglym engine cleaner under your steering rack? I discovered that recently myself. The stuff is like magic!

pheelay wrote: »
    Is that autoglym engine cleaner under your steering rack? I discovered that recently myself. The stuff is like magic!

Yeah i use it to shift the remnants of what the stronger stuff missed :pac: Never thought id see it nearly empty!

• Advertisement

Slow day today, lots of cleaning done, took out the ARB too so heres a few pics

It's mounted to the A brackets at where it meets with the ball joints this was disconnected ages ago

2yn4f21.jpg

Then undo two 13mm nuts, one in the hole and one just outside it

2m4vq4h.jpg

A bit of twisting and turning later...

lid5f.jpg

Needs new bushings so I might invest in polybushes

Now it's gona be all cleaning, spraying things for the next while, Thinking of doing the engine bay black, as the boot is black too

Advertisement