Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toastedpickles Saab 900 lpt build

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

That's a fantastic looking car man. I'd love to get my hands on a Saab 900, they're gorgeous cars and look the part. Seems like you are putting some great work into this one too, fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

sblythe wrote: »
    That's a fantastic looking car man. I'd love to get my hands on a Saab 900, they're gorgeous cars and look the part. Seems like you are putting some great work into this one too, fair play.

Thanks very much :) I want to get it as good as i can :)

So the last post for today, the water pump, handy enough to do, the hardest part of this was getting the old gasket off

To begin undo these 4 10mm nuts

2m2hphd.jpg

And the pulley comes away, if not, gentle tap of a mallet does the trick!

Next the waterpump itself, 5 12mm nuts, but there's two longer ones, these two guys

2amfdv.jpg

So take them out and hit the pump off with your mallet again

r0uow3.jpg
    14l3g47.jpg

After this I took a stanley blade to the surface and scraped off the remaining bits of gasket, after about half an hour I took the sandpaper to it and got it as clean as i could, then out with out good friend dirko again! :D

So you put a bead on the new waterpump, then stick the new gasket on, then more dirko on the gasket

21j52qv.jpg

Then get the two long bolts and get it lined up, fit the rest and torque them up

2i1ypz6.jpg

Then put the belts back on the pulley, and slot the pulley back onto the housing, it might take a couple of go's but once you have them lined up, stick in the 10mm screws and call it a day :)

And that's how to do a 900 waterpump!

Got the last bits done today which were new ignition leads, rocker cover gasket spark plugs and a bit of cleaning here and there

So i focussed on the main block today

91h07d.jpg

Take off the centre piece to show the spark plugs, out with your tippex pen to label each lead, comes in useful as to which new one is which etc

zsww0w.jpg

14mm spark plug socket and out come the old plugs, which were still in a decent condition , new and old

18dxf8.jpg

Then i took off the rocker cover, first time i seen underneath it, looks as clean as anything!

98xy.jpg

Then out with good ol dirko sealant and a thin bead was put around the rocker cover itself, gasket installed, put back on the block and each nut torqued to 15Nm going in a circular fashion from the middle

So that's the engine work done! going to do a bit more spraying and stuff now, and then back in it goes :D

Just bought an intercooler for 20 quid, my first upgrade :rolleyes: -wipes away tear-

• Advertisement

And last but not least......this :D

120schi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

can you not get classic insurance on her?

Nah I'm too young, only 23 :o

Collected my intercooler today :D I might need a bit more than what i have :o

image.php?album_id=4&image_id=722

I also put new boots on the driveshafts, or cv joints to be really specific

w82vra.jpg

After this and a new order of parts I went and got to the tie rods and ball joints

Most came out with no hassle but there's always one :rolleyes: Not even a vice could get it to stay in place

xdwnkj.jpg

So! :D

27zkzkm.jpg
    287gilv.jpg

Came right out then, the other one on the other hub was so badly rusted and seized that it took 2 blocks and a breaker bar to get the separator to....separate it :pac: it then decided to shoot across my driveway
    Dat force

Currently waiting on new top/bottom ball joints, tie rods, and calipers, discs and pads,

its starting to come back together :D

the other one on the other hub was so badly rusted and seized that it took 2 blocks and a breaker bar to get the separator to....separate it it then decided to shoot across my driveway
    Dat force

The brother was kindly filming the event unknowingly to myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Those ball joint breakers are shíte but they just about work. I used a piece of metal on the base of the tie rod end bolt for leverage and out she came.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Those ball joint breakers are shíte but they just about work. I used a piece of metal on the base of the tie rod end bolt for leverage and out she came.

Yeah it does tie rods no bother, but the ball joint was seized solid and I don't think anything else i have would've got it done, but its out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I've a can of butane gas for such occasions :D.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I've a can of butane gas for such occasions :D.

I must invest in some of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

With the noise of all the cars in the background, it sounds like you are working on the car on the side of the M50! :D

Great thread. Keep the pics coming!

TheBody wrote: »
    With the noise of all the cars in the background, it sounds like you are working on the car on the side of the M50! :D

Great thread. Keep the pics coming!

Haha thanks :D I've no empty shed or anything to work in, so I've to do it outside at the car, does the job like :P

More fun and games soon :D

It's beginning to look like a car again :D today seen the arb being refitted, along with the new bushings, steering rack back in and the engine bay being resprayed, along with a piece on the side, it's not great, but it'l do me

I torqued the inner anti roll bar nuts to 10Nm and the bolts for the steering rack to 70Nm as the guide says between 60/80Nm

So pictures!

Everything that's visible back in

x1y7no.jpg

And the bay painted

b7kphv.jpg

Again, not the best but it'l do me grand, lastly the side, again, bit shoddy, but you can't really see it, took this with a flash on

2agot1z.jpg

So today i got the old callipers off, I've a new refurbed set for 15 euro each and 3 months warranty, win!

Lets begin!

Started off by clamping the brake hose, to stop whatever fluid is left from leaking off, saab use a "special tool" so here's my "special tool"

iz95p4.jpg

I then took it off from where the brake line connects to the hose, as the smaller one was stuck, theres also a 10mm bracket you need to take off too,

2e4g12b.jpg

To get the bracket off took some ingenuity, this is where one of my detailing buckets proved most useful :pac:

aypszk.jpg

And the calliper off, when it was off i had more leverage to get the brake line off, and then i reattached it to the hose :)

3089qj6.jpg

I had also been experimenting with a cheap way to remove rust, heard that malt vinegar does the job so i gave it a go with some nuts and bolts, i forgot about them :o so here's what i pulled out

2zpqsfs.jpg

some brass brushing later

160eav6.jpg

Next few days should see the new brake set up coming and the ball joint, steering set up, then the 9-5 is getting a bit of work done, and then the engine is going back in this! :D

So after making bits of my exam today i came home and celebrated.....with buns :cool:

1z3ts80.jpg

Also this showed up :D

adlrhd.jpg

In todays box of tricks we have

2 rebuilt brake calipers
    4 brake pads - extra meaty
    2 brake discs - extra meaty - see photo below
    4 balljoints
    2 tie rods

Photo of said discs

2ngc5ro.jpg

They're much bigger than the standard ones, gona get round to fitting all this once i have the engine back in my possession which shall be soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Great to hear on the test man, delighted for ya!

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Great to hear on the test man, delighted for ya!

Cheers! :) The harder one is tomorrow, the maths, so hopefully I'll do enough to get by

the engine is finally coming home :D sometime tomorrow it'l be and being wired back in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I had also been experimenting with a cheap way to remove rust, heard that malt vinegar does the job so i gave it a go with some nuts and bolts, i forgot about them :o so here's what i pulled out

Vinegar works alright but I've found a quicker way- buy some of the "limescale" remover from Lidl, W5 brand, it's a concentrated acid gel of some kind. I dilute it with some water in a glass jug and heat it in a microwave before adding it to the container with metal to be de-rusted. It works very well, especially if the mix is good and hot and works out a little cheaper than vinegar. Needs a good rinse and wire brushing after, I think the acid neutralises the rust and leaves a black oxide in it's place.

Vinegar works alright but I've found a quicker way- buy some of the "limescale" remover from Lidl, W5 brand, it's a concentrated acid gel of some kind. I dilute it with some water in a glass jug and heat it in a microwave before adding it to the container with metal to be de-rusted. It works very well, especially if the mix is good and hot and works out a little cheaper than vinegar. Needs a good rinse and wire brushing after, I think the acid neutralises the rust and leaves a black oxide in it's place.

Ahhh right! :D I'll invest in some of that next time I've money, thanks for the tip!

So as I stuck it in the picture thread i'll plop it here too, the engine is back where it belongs :D

2ir8cpi.jpg

Tomorrow I'll start rewiring everything back in and installing what i can

And the progress starts again, took the lambada sensor, or what was left of it out and stuck in the new one
    The old, complete with missing wires

vfl8bo.jpg

vra69x.jpg

And the new shiny one :)

jrskyf.jpg

In where it belongs!

2ng7ll4.jpg

I also now have a rear mirror!

2aijz95.jpg

So i carried on with rewiring everything back up when i got to the altenator this greeted me :(

30t758w.jpg

So i need to either get a new connection, or find this on another 900 and solder them together

Battery terminals back in along with the tray

k6l9u.jpg

It's beginning to look like a car again :)

16lk4u9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Great work man! Re that connector, it's a relatively simple 1 wire connection so a good pair of crimped connectors should do the job fine :)

commited wrote: »
    Great work man! Re that connector, it's a relatively simple 1 wire connection so a good pair of crimped connectors should do the job fine :)

And so we take our first step into the scary world of wiring :o

Need to get a few connectors so, have a crimping tool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

... runs and hides ...

:pac:

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    ... runs and hides ...

:pac:

This genuinely made me laugh :pac:

Advertisement