Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pet insurer?

• 08-06-2014 12:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

We are getting a new pedigree pup soon and would like basic insurance cover for him.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable but comprehensive provider / policy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We've had our cats with Allianz for years. Comprehensive insurance, the vet gives us a form to sign and claims directly from them, which keeps things simple. We pay the first 100 euro of any claim and they cover the rest. It excludes vaccinations and neutering but I think they all do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I just got a pm from this crowd asking for the business . <snip>
    Is that permitted?

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

We use Allianz for our cats and dogs. Make sure you check into all of the various clauses though. For us and our policy we had a waiting period of 2 or 3 weeks from the policy start date where new conditions would not be covered. Basically as soon as you get your pet get a good policy - and pray nothing goes wrong during that period.

We also did some research ourselves on different providers and talked to our vet. Just going through the different options - excesses - limits etc.

All in all we are finding Allianz to be good for us, might not work for everyone though. But definitely if we didn't have it we would be in a world of hurt right now as both of our dogs have serious complaints that need constant treatment and care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

CaraMay wrote: »
    snip

Asking for what business lol - there's only a few pet insurers! Allianz, Tesco and the other one we're not allowed talk about here- that's it I think? If you do a search you'll find loads of threads. I'm with Allianz and find them good - handy they way you can direct claim with some vets so you just pay the excess. Also handy they way you just sign and the vet fills everything out and sends it in - trust me if your pet is seriously ill or god forbid dies the last think you want to do is worry about filling in a paperwork!! Have you a vet lined up for the pup - give them a shout and see if they do direct claim. Our vet always has flyers with so many weeks free with Allianz.
    What breed is the pup - some are not covered so that's another thing to check.

EDITed to add - my policy has gone up €20-30 each year which I'm more than happy with - we must have claimed almost 6k at this stage so money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

I'd say Allianz too. We have 4 dogs, one was too old when we got him to insure, but the other 3 are insured, 2 with Allianz and 1 with a different insurance company which can't be mentioned here!!

Allianz is just so easy to deal with, mainly because the vet does it all and they are the most popular insurance company so the vets are well used to dealing with them, it makes every claim so much less stressful. Our one who isn't insured with Allianz (because I left my OH deal with the insuring, never again :p !!) thankfully we've only had to claim the once but it was almost physical torture!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Tesco are pulling out of the pet insurance business. No new policies being taken on and existing policies are being terminated when they come up for renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'll probably get shot for saying this on pet insurance but I'll say it anyway :)
    This is a difficult and delicate issue for those who love their pets as much as if they were children. From a practical and financial standpoint, however, there are many situations where we would incur significant medical expenses for humans where we would not do so for our pets. As an example, if your mother has terminal cancer and is in substantial pain, you would treat her in a hospital or hospice and manage the pain until she passed away. The daily cost of such medical treatment can be astronomical. If a pet was in the same situation, you would be more likely to make the difficult decision to put him to sleep to alleviate the pain and distress. From a practical standpoint, the medical costs for the pet in this situation would be substantially less and, therefore, insurance would not be as useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I'll probably get shot for saying this on pet insurance but I'll say it anyway :)
    This is a difficult and delicate issue for those who love their pets as much as if they were children. From a practical and financial standpoint, however, there are many situations where we would incur significant medical expenses for humans where we would not do so for our pets. As an example, if your mother has terminal cancer and is in substantial pain, you would treat her in a hospital or hospice and manage the pain until she passed away. The daily cost of such medical treatment can be astronomical. If a pet was in the same situation, you would be more likely to make the difficult decision to put him to sleep to alleviate the pain and distress. From a practical standpoint, the medical costs for the pet in this situation would be substantially less and, therefore, insurance would not be as useful.

I don't really understand the last part of your post! Two of my dogs require daily medication and pet insurance is so handy of it! One of them justs get the medicine and doesn't need to see the vet for her condition. For one of her conditions her medicine is around €70 per month. Pet medications can be very expensive. They don't have generics so can be very dear especially if you have a big dog as a lot of dosage is based on weight!

Millem wrote: »
    I don't really understand the last part of your post! Two of my dogs require daily medication and pet insurance is so handy of it! One of them justs get the medicine and doesn't need to see the vet for her condition. For one of her conditions her medicine is around €70 per month. Pet medications can be very expensive. They don't have generics so can be very dear especially if you have a big dog as a lot of dosage is based on weight!
    It's simple really pets are not humans so stop treating them as such.

So what - don't treat their illnesses then?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sam Kade, I'm not too sure that you're familiar with the ethos of this forum (it's for pet lovers), nor that it's not just about putting your pet to sleep the moment it's diagnosed with a terminal illness.
    What's more, it's hardly anyone else's business if an owner chooses to spend a blue fortune on their pets. One thing's for sure, if you want to criticise owners for this, this is not the right forum to do it in.
    Now, back on topic please.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

That's not related to my question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

I've been with allianz with years and I find them excellent. It also helps that I pay my vet the €100 excess and she claims the rest from them with no problems ☺

That's not related to my question
    What was the question, it seemed more like a statement to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Her question was what insurance company to use? How is that a statement?

andreac wrote: »
    Her question was what insurance company to use? How is that a statement?
    I see, I didn't know that she was the op :(

You clearly don't understand English so

You clearly don't understand English so

Yeah, I suppose because I was quoting your post and didn't realiase you were the op it confirms that I clearly don't understand English.

Okay folks. This stops now.
    Sam Kade, don't post in this thread again.

I will ask once again, and for the last time, that everyone gets back on topic now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

tazwaz wrote: »
    I've been with allianz with years and I find them excellent. It also helps that I pay my vet the €100 excess and she claims the rest from them with no problems ☺

We are with Allianz too and fine them a pleasure to deal with. I just sign tge form and vet does everything for me. They have never kicked up a fuss (touch wood) on any of the claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Have always found Allianz great to deal with and quick to settle. Couldn't recommend them more highly, actually.

My friend's OH had an argument with Alianz last year over something silly and said he was changing I urged him to NOT go with a certain company and he ignored me and did... Now that they actually have had to get some tests etc done he regrets his decision and wants to go back to Allianz! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm with the company not allowed be mentioned. They have paid out a huge amount for our crossbreed. The premium never went up & they pay direct to the vet.

They are also cheaper then Allianz. So I say shop around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Can I ask why the company cant be mentioned? Just curious :)

sotisme wrote: »
    Can I ask why the company cant be mentioned? Just curious :)

Well if you were getting great reviews you'd want everyone talking about you right? but if they were crap reviews..... ;)

Knine would you please let me know the name of the company? Thanks

Knine would you please let me know the name of the company? Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056955319

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 harlser

I have to say. I have had my dog insured since he was a pup. Thinkinv hed be covered sbd save me money if something happened him.

I am insured with <snip> and when I had phoned asking about a claim they were very friendly..... not so good when you actually put in a claim. Stay away from this crowd. They will find any excuse going not to pay out. They had originally told me my claim was being paid and then found excuse after excuse not to pay. Basically ive wasted my money the last few years. Friends of mine have had no problems with other companies one with allianz and another with tesco.

best of luck with the new addition.
    We are getting a new pedigree pup soon and would like basic insurance cover for him.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable but comprehensive provider / policy?

• Advertisement

Harlser, there have been multiple mentions in this thread of a pet insurance company that have forbidden their name to be used on this forum, I even posted a link to the sticky immediately above your post which asks people to refrain from discussing them.
    So please don't discuss them!
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement