Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pet insurer?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Just to add my bit.
    I never had pet insurance for any of my dogs. I didn't have pet insurance for my great dane who ended up being quite sick and I ended up having him put to sleep. Prior to him being put to sleep he was on a load of tablets, I think it was something like 3 different types of tablets and due to his size he was getting at least 2-3 of the 3 different tablets twice a day so it ended up being very expensive. Now obviously the expense was directly related to his size, he was 80kg therefore he needed way more than a terrier so that's why it was so expensive. I think for big dogs insurance is a must.

I now have 2 miniature dachshunds and I have them insured with Allianz. It's something like €38 a month for the both of them so nothing too extortionate. I did quite a bit of research on dachshunds before I got them and PRA and IVDD are quite common issues so I feel the insurance is definitely worth it for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

My dog is insured with Allianz - she was diagnosed with diabetes last year & subsequently developed diabetic related cataracts which she had surgery to remove them in January which was a sucess. She is 10 so as allianz only covered 65% of the cost of the surgery which amounted to €3500 so I had to pay €1200. It was money well spent though when I see her quality of life now. If I didn't have her insured I would never been able to afford the total cost & she would have gone blind. Allianz also cover 65% of her insulin & syringes which is great. So yes - definitely insure your dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'm with Allianz too but have yet to use them yet but come highly recommended where I work. They are top of the list actually. It costs ~€9/mth to insure my cat and while I do get a substantial discount workwise I have seen time and time again the turmoil owners are put in when landed with a massive veterinary bill, especially surgical (that's why i have it) or need continuous expensive medical care.

I literally cannot understand why all pet owners don't have it.

I've now taken on an FIV positive cat that I will also insure for surgical reasons if they will allow him although I know medically he will probably be exempt. If they won't insure him I will put money aside, something I'm not great at though.

It is honestly inevitable at some stage in most of our pets lives they will need expensive veterinary care and it is beyond comforting to know that safety net is there if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have my 3 dogs insured with tesco.

My greyhound is with them since before she was 8 as she is now 11 so I have to stay with them and yes they wrote and it's now RSA who I will be insured with instead. so tesco are renewing as RSA.

I have been insuring all 3 since we got them, never had to claim, but would not sleep unless they were insured.

To messy to move for the other 2, happy for now tho,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 harlser

just wondering why some companies ae allowed to be mentioned as in the above last few posts? Why only if they have nothing bad to say??! Surely itd make more sense if people were aware of the not so good companies, do they could stay away from them and save money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

harlser wrote: »
    just wondering why some companies ae allowed to be mentioned as in the above last few posts? Why only if they have nothing bad to say??! Surely itd make more sense if people were aware of the not so good companies, do they could stay away from them and save money?

It happens sometimes that companies who receive bad reviews here, contact head office and threaten legal action.
    The easiest way for boards.ie to deal with this, I suppose, is the path of least resistance. In other words, without having to spell it out, when a sticky appears asking people not to mention x company, it means there's been a threat of legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 harlser

Thanks. That would make sense I suppose. maybe people should just pick the companies that are being mentioned, it gives an idea as to if the companies do what they are supposed to. I know I definitely wont be staying with the company I had my dog insured with as they have basically just robbed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well my friend heard back from their insurer - they're not accepting their claim(!). They're planning on going back to Allianz at the next renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm with the company not allowed to be mentioned either, and have just had to put my first claim in recently. It took about 3 weeks to be settled once they got the forms. No problems with it, and am pretty happy so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

My boy Bob got diabetes and had cataract surgery 7 weeks ago, I am insured with the insurance company who can't be named and I have nothing but good things to say
    They covered the full cost of the surgery and a lot of the vet fees I got a cheque in the post a few weeks back for over 3 grand
    I'd recommend everyone get pet insurance as it really is a life saver. I had to borrow the money from my mother in law to get the op done and I was worried I wouldn't be covered, all it took was a phone call and get my vet to fax his history and I was given the good news he was covered

• Advertisement
Advertisement