Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car jacker killed in Dublin crash ***mod note first post: read before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Like chomping at the bit to direct a bit of vitriolic abuse at every opportunity.
    I hear ya, but I don't think this is a fair example. The guy's behaviour was despicable, it was his decision - nobody else's. Being dead doesn't absolve him of anything. Saying that is not the same as celebrating his death.

Something like Irish Water, the public sector though would be a fairer example, in my opinion. See this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057225942

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Its crazy I know Taxi drivers are particularly vulnerable because they have to pick people up but people really need to drive around town with their doors locked these days.

I hope the drivers ok. I wonder could the halo people do something to track the taxi if it gets hijacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

When I read the comments on stories like this, it makes me wonder why 62% of voters approved abolishing the death penalty by referendum in 2001.

Surely if you have no qualms about a man in his twenties dying because he stole a car, you would have no qualms about a man being executed by the state for crimes like murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

When I read the comments on stories like this, it makes me wonder why 62% of voters approved abolishing the death penalty by referendum in 2001.

Surely if you have no qualms about a man in his twenties dying because he stole a car, you would have no qualms about a man being executed by the state for crimes like murder?

More than 50% of boards users would not have been of voting age in 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

This story is indeed quite tragic - the taximan must have been badly shaken and his car is wrecked. Additionally, one of the @#%!s survived.

I wonder how many previous convictions these two had? At least one of them won't be racking up any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Some of the replies here are borderline sociopath.

It's hard to feel any sympathy for the carjackers yes, but some of the comments are way OTT.

At the end of the day it's still someones son, someone's brother, maybe someones father.

The only way I take this story is that an ordinary law-abiding taxi-driver trying to earn a living was assaulted and had his livelihood taken away by force by layabout scumbags one of whom at least had the decency to remove himself from the gene pool in the process before he had a chance to do this again to someone else or worse.

It may seem harsh but these scumbags are not deserving of our sympathy - they gave their victim here none as they dragged him from his vehicle. Mark my words, they would give you none if you ended up on the wrong side of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The days of hot wiring a car to get home after a night of drinks and dancing are gone it seems it's all mindless violence and a trip to the undertakers now

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We could find a happy medium and just start selling rope in the prison shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

His wit de angles nw xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

While I have great sympathy for the mans family it's hard to have sympathy for the man himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    His wit de angles nw xxx

god onli takes d best hun xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Feel sorry for the poor taxi driver.

Zero pity for the dead guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lot of harsh comments here, its a real tragedy a young man has lost his life and unfortunately his friend survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My initial reaction when I heard this story was that it served the criminal right. I'll be honest - my blood was up.

And then I thought about it further, about the fact that some children are born to criminals, into criminal families, and they have realistically no chance of avoiding that life. All because of the crap life their parents were on.

And then I think of the parents, who themselves were possibly born into criminal families and how the circle has been going on forever, and I wonder - did that dead lad ever really stand a chance? Or the next criminal who dies?

And I completely empathise eith the victims of crime, and I don't want to provide excuses for anybody.

But when your mam and dad, grandparents, siblings, cousins etc are all involved in dodgy dealings your sense of right and wrong are misshapen.

If you go visiting prison regularly as a kid to see your family, or see your mam slag off the cops, or your dad get into fights, you grow up with no respect.

If you're born to a drug addict, have you any chance really?

And I'm not saying this guy was - but plenty are.

It's not something you fall into in your 20s. It's usually been there all along.

And that makes me sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The gas thing is if you had a can of pepper spray or a knife in your door pocket to defend yourself, you'd be done by the gardai for having a dangerous weapon or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My initial reaction when I heard this story was that it served the criminal right. I'll be honest - my blood was up.

And then I thought about it further, about the fact that some children are born to criminals, into criminal families, and they have realistically no chance of avoiding that life. All because of the crap life their parents were on.

And then I think of the parents, who themselves were possibly born into criminal families and how the circle has been going on forever, and I wonder - did that dead lad ever really stand a chance? Or the next criminal who dies?

And I completely empathise eith the victims of crime, and I don't want to provide excuses for anybody.

But when your mam and dad, grandparents, siblings, cousins etc are all involved in dodgy dealings your sense of right and wrong are misshapen.

If you go visiting prison regularly as a kid to see your family, or see your mam slag off the cops, or your dad get into fights, you grow up with no respect.

It's not something you fall into in your 20s. It's usually been there all along.

And that makes me sad.

I'm pretty sure not all people born into dodgy backgrounds turn into bad people but what if this person wasn't a product of his surroundings? Some have said his death is a waste of a life. His death is a waste to his family and friends only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

And that makes me sad.
    Plenty of people are born into bad families but made the right choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Another waste of a life :(

That life was already wasted.
    Like chomping at the bit, no, frothing at the mouth, to direct a bit of vitriolic abuse at every opportunity.

Please don't continue to make a fool out of yourself by arguing that ranting on the internet is worse than assault and car-jacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

The days of hot wiring a car to get home after a night of drinks and dancing are gone it seems

Hi-tech alarm systems on cars are a big reason for the upsurge in car-jackings, as there's feck all you can do without the keys on newer models. Big rise in house break-ins as well, solely for the purpose of getting car keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was stopped at traffic lights one night and suddenly 2 guys tried to get into the car, it gave me a fair fright when I was on my own, but it's nothing compared to what the taxi driver went through.

I won't celebrate this guys death but people like that who attack innocent people doing an honest days work are no great loss to society.

The other scrote wasn't too bothered about his mate seeing as he ran away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    His wit de angles nw xxx

I bet his smokein a big splif wiv Tupac rite now
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Please don't continue to make a fool out of yourself by arguing that ranting on the internet is worse than assault and car-jacking.

I never said it was.

It's not worse, it's more to be pitied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Sad for his family, but I'd be lying if I said I gave a shíte or felt sad about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The insurance premiums for the taxi driver will go up.

The pole will have to be repaired.

If it happened to me id wish death on whoever took my car.

Scumbags have been getting away with all sorts these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

spurious wrote: »
    Presumably the driver will be done for manslaughter (at a minimum) since the death of the passenger occurred during the committing of a crime.

Not manslaughter, but should most definitely be Dangerous Driving Causing Death. Section 53(2)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1961 which carries 5 years and a IE£500 fine (really should update that!). That's the minimum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

This is a tragedy...the guy's alloys are probably wrecked and they're bloody expensive.

It'll probably be a pain having to repaint the lampost too.

Gurriers are so inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm not going to judge anyone. I can't. I have not been an angel on occasion, but nothing that involved harm to anyone else, thankfully.

The thing that gets me is the euologies at these people's funerals. You would think they were saints sometimes. And Face Book is full of carp too.

But then again, it's for the family.

I often think priests struggle at times like this, to say something good, when they know deep down there was no good at all in the deceased person. But thats Christianity I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah i agree, so why are the state failing to act, why dont they take it upon themselves to sort it out as best as possible? We have been debating this for years / decades, I predict we will be going so for a long long time, if not indefinitely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It'll probably be a pain having to repaint the lampost too.

The whole thing will probably have to be replaced. it couldn't be structurally sound after that whack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I think it was a referendum to remove the death penalty completely from the constitution but mostly for capital crimes against the state where it could still be invoked?
    Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The only way I take this story is that an ordinary law-abiding taxi-driver trying to earn a living was assaulted and had his livelihood taken away by force by layabout scumbags one of whom at least had the decency to remove himself from the gene pool in the process before he had a chance to do this again to someone else or worse.

It may seem harsh but these scumbags are not deserving of our sympathy - they gave their victim here none as they dragged him from his vehicle. Mark my words, they would give you none if you ended up on the wrong side of them either.

You wont get many on defending taxi drivers in AH or boards, in this case its an about turn.
    Duiske wrote: »
    Hi-tech alarm systems on cars are a big reason for the upsurge in car-jackings, as there's feck all you can do without the keys on newer models. Big rise in house break-ins as well, solely for the purpose of getting car keys.

There will be some next step made available to track (already possible), maybe immobilise, or limit the vehicles capability so it can only go so fast, making it an unattractive getaway, I suppose people will then be getting their phones stolen off them so they cant disable or call someone to disable their car.
    There will always be some way to circumvent a new technology and then new ways implemented to close the loopholes and so on.
    Until its no longer worthwhile and criminals will keep cars parked up that cant be hacked.
    mikeym wrote: »
    The insurance premiums for the taxi driver will go up.

The pole will have to be repaired.

If it happened to me id wish death on whoever took my car.

Scumbags have been getting away with all sorts these days.

But there wont be any cost to the taxpayer to feed and house this guy, although that seems to happen anyway as they just turn them out onto the street to perform/commit their next trick/crime.

Advertisement