Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying wine - where?

Options
  • 08-06-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I am an Italian living with a French in Dublin and we are both quite surprised about the prices of wine in the supermarkets, so we are looking for suggestions about the best places where to buy it. Any suggestions? Is the best solutions just order it from Italy or France?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I think in general wine will be a lot more expensive because it has to be imported. You'll just have to learn to love Dutch Gold, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 moonbiter

Well,all alcohol seems to be more expensive in the supermarket. For example a pint of draft beer cost as in Italy, but a can of beer at the supermarket (even Irish beer) cost the double as in Italy. I thought maybe taxes on alcohol are higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The vast majority of the price of cheap wine goes to duty and even the price of expensive wine will be more duty than the actual cost of the wine. There's a graphic here but the last budget added another 50c duty so it is out of date already. The cheapest place to buy is Lidl which has a few five euro bottles of wine which are not quite as terrible as some of the six or seven euro bottles you'll get in Tesco/convenience stores but if you'd even consider them drinkable coming from Italy / France is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Aldi or Lidl

Advertisement