Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Qualification

Options
  • 08-06-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this is in the correct place so feel free to move it if needed.

I am thinking the last while about pursuing a qualification in Mathematics. Are there any part time courses available I could fit around work in Dublin? Basically, I used to like Maths in school (got an A1 in honours in the LC) but have done nothing with it since and feel like I forget so much. I chose to go into Accountancy instead (also an A1 in the LC) as I felt there were more jobs and didn't know what I could do with Maths other than teach (which is a no no for me personally).

So anyone recommend a qualification I could go for in Maths? Also any advice on where this could lead to professionally?

Thank!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I've just finished my third maths module with the Open University and couldn't recommend it highly enough. You could build up to a degree if you wanted or combine it with something else like a language. I think a good idea would be start of with a 30 credit module to give yourself a flavour of what its like. My story before I started with the OU was almost identical to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

What's the costs like? I have no experience of the Open University. Thanks for the reply :)

It works out at about 1,000 euro for a 30 credit module. But you can get tax relief on that. There website is very good and you can see there are a number of different Maths related degrees on offer (Maths, Stats, Applied Maths etc). They also do postgrad courses. A full honours degree is 360 credits so I guess that'll give you an idea of what the overall cost would be if you were to keep going with it. The only thing is you might get quite a generous amount of credit for previous study but that is something very individual and you would need to get assessed by them for yourself.

It works out at about 1,000 euro for a 30 credit module. But you can get tax relief on that. Their website is very good and you can see there are a number of different Maths related degrees on offer (Maths, Stats, Applied Maths etc). They also do postgrad courses. A full honours degree is 360 credits so I guess that'll give you an idea of what the overall cost would be if you were to keep going with it. The only thing is you might get quite a generous amount of credit for previous study but that is something very individual and you would need to get assessed by them for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Cheers for the help, I'll look into that for sure but it may be a bit too pricey (which I was expecting). May look into credit given as I done a couple of statistic modules as part of my accountancy degree and I already have a masters so may get something from that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It works out at about 1,000 euro for a 30 credit module. But you can get tax relief on that. Their website is very good and you can see there are a number of different Maths related degrees on offer (Maths, Stats, Applied Maths etc). They also do postgrad courses. A full honours degree is 360 credits so I guess that'll give you an idea of what the overall cost would be if you were to keep going with it. The only thing is you might get quite a generous amount of credit for previous study but that is something very individual and you would need to get assessed by them for yourself.

I'm doing a maths module with OU at the moments (as part of an IT degree) and love it. It's reignited my love of maths so would highly recommend it.

aratsarse, can you get tax relief as you go along? I thought I had to wait until I finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey there , Im just finished my PT BSc in Maths in DIT.

€1200 a year and its not essential to attend every class each week once your willing to go through online material.

http://www.maths.dit.ie/content/index.php/2013-01-28-11-05-32/12-programmes-category

Advertisement