Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentists in Cork City - Anxiety problems

Options
  • 08-06-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm looking for a good dentist in Cork City, or just outside of it (Mahon, Wilton, anywhere I can get a bus to). I have pretty bad anxiety and tend to grind/clench my teeth at night. I know I have to get it looked at, because it's a choice between being anxious about going to the dentist and being anxious about destroying my teeth, so I reckon it's time to just go to the dentist.

Does anybody with anxiety have experience with good, understanding dentists here? I saw a dentist in Mahon advertising for those with anxiety, but I'd really appreciate a bit of feedback from anyone.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I've heard smiles in town is good

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Themistokleia

I'll look them up, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I usually go to a Dr Michael Doyle on McCurtain Street across from LeisurePlex.

Great guy, very quick with the services and as simple as possible. Great guy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

How about the Smile Store in Ballyphehane? They're quite good. But would recommend getting a mouthguard if you grind your teeth!! I do, but didn't fancy paying E150 for one which I'll go through in three months or less.

I get mine from Amazon. Much cheaper, especially when they wear through at the same rate...

But would recommend getting a mouthguard if you grind your teeth!! I do, but didn't fancy paying E150 for one which I'll go through in three months or less.

I'll try a mouthguard tonight; I have two boil and bite ones here for sport, but they'll do for now. I have one of those Sisu ones that are meant to be great, and they allow me to breathe much easier than the other, so I'll see how it feels.

I woke up last night because I jolted and my teeth crashed together, as they were more than likely clenched beforehand, so now I have a sore tooth today. Eating isn't as pleasant as it was yesterday, this is the first time something like this has happened. A bit of a wake-up call, so to speak.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check all of these places out. It can't do any harm to call them and explain the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Dr Shane Curtin, Ardfallen Dental Practice, Douglas Road.

I can't recommend him highly enough. He has a lovely manner and way about him. I was very nervous first time going to him after some bad experiences from other dentists and orthodontists over the years and he really put me at ease. My mother and sister have since been to him and rate him very highly also.

Thanks a million, Léan, that sounds excellent. I've had dentists and orthodontists that weren't all that pleasant and I hate going! I'll give them a call in the morning. I don't mind having to get a bus or even a taxi if the dentist makes me feel comfortable, because that's a small miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

If tis any good to you Anne Twomey is very good, a bit out but she is the only one I would trust, I hate the dentist she gives me a prescription for tablets before I go to see her for work im that bad but she is great if you are nervous very understanding..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Canty in Cobh brilliant, I have tried a few dentists found him the best by a mile

Thanks so much, I didn't realise I'd have so much choice (or maybe that was the anxiety making excuses)! I'll pop on the mouthguard tonight and call around in the morning, hopefully someone will be able to give me an appointment soon enough. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Try Gentle Dental in bishopstown? It's on the 208 bus route. Bus stop outside the door.

http://www.gentledentalcork.ie

I totally forgot to mention I have a medical card, because I'm a dunce. Anyway, they don't take them yet, but I'll keep them in mind. It's always good to have a back-up. :)

Ye're a great bunch of lads/ladies. :p I'm starting to feel less stressed about the whole thing, I'm not used to having a choice of dentists!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Dr Clune in Douglas is incredibly nice, I was really nervous going to him because the dentist I'd had before was atrocious but it was grand, totally painless fillings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Dr Freda Guiney in Ballincollig is by far and away the best dentist I have ever been to. Like you I was incredibly anxious after a bad experience at a previous dentist and I was forced to go to one after years of dealing with pain.
    I chose her as she won a sensitive dentist award and I promise you she is brilliant, gentle and understanding. I actually make dental appointments when not necessary just for check ups now (like a normal person again :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Léan wrote: »
    Dr Shane Curtin, Ardfallen Dental Practice, Douglas Road.

I can't recommend him highly enough. He has a lovely manner and way about him. I was very nervous first time going to him after some bad experiences from other dentists and orthodontists over the years and he really put me at ease. My mother and sister have since been to him and rate him very highly also.

I cant second this enough. I hate going to the dentist but since going to him I wouldnt dream of going elsewhere, So gentle compared to the others ive been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Have gone to various dentists in the past.
    One gave infections out for free.

This is the best one I have found so far
    I have no problems with him at all.
    Mahon Dental Surgery
    021 435 8616

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

for awkard root canals jes im just back from John Browne in Douglas second round of the root canal and feel asleep at the table. really understanding chap and so gentle as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Milly33 wrote: »
    for awkard root canals jes im just back from John Browne in Douglas second round of the root canal and feel asleep at the table. really understanding chap and so gentle as well..

Seconded, but note that he basically only does root canals. He's not a general dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Had problems with my jaw and grinding teeth last year, went to Brendan Russell in the place across from Leisureplex and he sorted it in one appointment, my jaw was kind of misaligned. Really nice dentist, put me at ease straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Charlie Haly on Mary st is very good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement