Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subject choice please help

• 08-06-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all! I am just wondering is 8 higher subject's for leaving cert too much work?

I have picked
    French
    Geography
    Ag science
    Accounting and
    Business on my own

The reason I picked business on my own is that I love the subject and hope to do a commerce and accounting course in third level and think business would be useful!

I am a reasonably good student and at junior cert level I got 8As and 3Bs

Would be grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Help? :)

I just finished 5th so I could be of some help. I honestly think you should just stick to your 7 HL subjects that you will study in school. It is very doable to attain a good grade in Business when studying alone outside grade and it has been done but usually other subjects suffer as a result. You already have Accounting and that is more than enough for what you want to study in college.

You'll also have to consider the projects and orals you'll have to do in 6th Year. Orals for Irish and French, then projects for both Ag Science and Geography. Are you sure you'll have time to study an extra subject outside school hours while also doing those projects? I'm not trying to put you off but I just hope you realise what you could get yourself into!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are planning on doing a business degree why not take business in school instead of ag science or geography? Assuming you are keeping french to meet entry requirements for certain courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

If you are planning on doing a business degree why not take business in school instead of ag science or geography? Assuming you are keeping french to meet entry requirements for certain courses.

As Accounting is timetabled for the same time as the Business class is on I would be unable to do both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Hi mayogirlie1,

I've just finished my degree and to be honest you're putting yourself under a lot of unwarranted pressure with 8 HL subjects.

Would it be possible for you to drop a subject inside of school hours & continue with business outside of school & use those dropped periods for studying business? Because that way, you can qualify for LCVP (which is no added stress really if you're doing business and it's worth 70 extra points to you in the CAO!) which can help with your points if you need it!

I know people who attempted to do 8 HL subjects the year I did my LC and to be honest I'm pretty sure all of them ended up dropping one subject & they were able to continue as outlined above. There's no need to be putting extra pressure on yourself, especially when you know what you want to do in college! At the end of the day, you're going to get in subject to a maximum of 600 CAO points!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

Hi mayogirlie1,

I've just finished my degree and to be honest you're putting yourself under a lot of unwarranted pressure with 8 HL subjects.

Would it be possible for you to drop a subject inside of school hours & continue with business outside of school & use those dropped periods for studying business? Because that way, you can qualify for LCVP (which is no added stress really if you're doing business and it's worth 70 extra points to you in the CAO!) which can help with your points if you need it!

I know people who attempted to do 8 HL subjects the year I did my LC and to be honest I'm pretty sure all of them ended up dropping one subject & they were able to continue as outlined above. There's no need to be putting extra pressure on yourself, especially when you know what you want to do in college! At the end of the day, you're going to get in subject to a maximum of 600 CAO points!

Hope this helps :)

thank you so much for your advice!! I have talked to my principal regarding the issue and the school are fairly insistent that I take 7 subjects in school however they said they may consider letting me drop Geography after Christmas if my Christmas test results were not up to standard!

I suppose the real question I'm asking is leaving cert business useful if I were to go on and study Commerce in university!? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Leaving Certificate Business will not really help you in first year in college. Accounting is a much better choice as when you do a Commerce degree they teach you Accounting again from scratch so you'd be at a big advantage compared to students who haven't studied it while Business does not link directly to any of the subjects studied in 1st year Commerce degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

thank you so much for your advice!! I have talked to my principal regarding the issue and the school are fairly insistent that I take 7 subjects in school however they said they may consider letting me drop Geography after Christmas if my Christmas test results were not up to standard!

I suppose the real question I'm asking is leaving cert business useful if I were to go on and study Commerce in university!? :)

Try & keep them all on until Christmas so! Personally though, I think it could be way too much pressure for yourself. But keep the school on your side too!

I don't know about whether it will link in directly, but I know you'll be at an advantage in whichever course you decide to do having a decent business LC behind you. I found it helped me in one of my final modules this year of a teaching degree!! :)

Advertisement