Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best non-denominational school near Shankill, Dublin

Options
  • 08-06-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My wife and I are new to Shankill and also parenthood and while beginning to think about primary schools we have decided non-denominational is our preference. I would be deeply grateful for any suggestions or advice on non-denominational schools in the Shankill area. Many thanks in advance for your time. Best regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I don't know of the area but be careful that its non denominational and nothing else. What about multi-denominational for example. Also don't set yourself in a corner that all the "good schools" are ruled out by coincidence due to this factor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My wife and I are new to Shankill and also parenthood and while beginning to think about primary schools we have decided non-denominational is our preference. I would be deeply grateful for any suggestions or advice on non-denominational schools in the Shankill area. Many thanks in advance for your time. Best regards.

Monkstown educate together or Dalkey school project

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are non non-denom primary schools in Ireland, Educate Togethers, some Gaelscoileanna and the new community national schools are all multi-denom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to more appropriate regional forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dudley Smith

Many thanks to everyone for their very helpful comments and we will have to investigate further. Any further advice greatly received!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Have a look at the Educate Together website to get an understanding of what the ethos of the schools are.
    They are multi-demonination , not non-denomination, but I suspect that might be what you are looking for.

THe important piece of advice I have is that all ET schools operate an enrolment policy based on date of application form, not catchment area and many have long, long waiting lists.

Get your childs name down now to have any chance of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

If they're born, then it's probably already too late for Dalkey school project.
    As a plan b you might want to start practicing baking cakes or reciting the 5 glorious mysteries of the rosary.

josip wrote: »
    If they're born, then it's probably already too late for Dalkey school project.
    As a plan b you might want to start practicing baking cakes or reciting the 5 glorious mysteries of the rosary.

Hahaha! Rathmichael primary school is brilliant but is church of Ireland.

Millem wrote: »
    Hahaha! Rathmichael primary school is brilliant but is church of Ireland.

I've heard that too, but the CoI part wouldn't bother me even though I'm a Fenian Papist :)
    I got the impression that it's quite a disciplined school when I've visited, more so than GKNS (Wyvern) for example.
    Did I get the wrong impression?

I've heard that too, but the CoI part wouldn't bother me even though I'm a Fenian Papist :)
    I got the impression that it's quite a disciplined school when I've visited, more so than GKNS (Wyvern) for example.
    Did I get the wrong impression?

Both are great schools, I don't know much about Wyvern since it got a new principal. Any past pupil (of either school) I have taught have been great, lovely manners, well behaved, motivated etc. kill o the grange is also very good but I have a feeling it is difficult to get into if you are not CofI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Millem wrote: »
    Both are great schools, I don't know much about Wyvern since it got a new principal. Any past pupil (of either school) I have taught have been great, lovely manners, well behaved, motivated etc. kill o the grange is also very good but I have a feeling it is difficult to get into if you are not CofI.

Wyvern, Kill o the Grange and St Patrick's in Dalkey are all difficult to get in to now.

Last year Wyvern only took it's own parishioners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Last year Wyvern only took it's own parishioners

As did St Patrick's. Places have become so sought after they are having to use the admission policy to the letter.

Advertisement