Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to enter calculator make and model in Leaving Cert Higher Maths

• 08-06-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I forgot to enter my calculator make and model in Leaving Cert Maths paper1 HL on Friday. Is this a big problem? Is there a chance they could even fail me for it although I showed all my workings etc??
    I will enter it on paper 2 tomorrow and leave a note about it. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Ye i forgot aswell, ye we failed paper 1 but we can still pass if we get >80% on paper 2 so dont worry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Howeller

Huell wrote: »
    Ye i forgot aswell, ye we failed paper 1 but we can still pass if we get >80% on paper 2 so dont worry ;)

Mate I actually am worried about this seeing as the SEC take everything so seriously..

Howeller wrote: »

Someone made the same mistake and phoned the SEC who said that this is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ejg96

Think I forgot to put my exam no on front :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi, I forgot to enter my calculator make and model in Leaving Cert Maths paper1 HL on Friday. Is this a big problem? Is there a chance they could even fail me for it although I showed all my workings etc??

Yes, just state it is the same calculator you used for Paper One.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ejg96 wrote: »
    Think I forgot to put my exam no on front :(

Your superintendent should have checked this, but just in case, mention it to them tomorrow.

Someone made the same mistake and phoned the SEC who said that this is fine.
    Thanks v much, so just leave a note about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Knowing the SEC, it's possible that your paper will get failed for this. Knowing teachers, they more than likely won't notice. Unless you've pulled a number seemingly out of nowhere they won't bother checking. You can always get it rechecked I suppose, but I'm not sure what the penalty might be. There's nothing on the Marking Scheme from last year detailing what you should do in those situations. In all likelihood unless it looks like you've cheated they won't notice.

Your paper will not be failed.
    Just write a note on Paper Two where you are writing the calculator number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ejg96

spurious wrote: »
    Your superintendent should have checked this, but just in case, mention it to them tomorrow.

Thnx I hope so will do

• Advertisement

Knowing the SEC, it's possible that your paper will get failed for this. Knowing teachers, they more than likely won't notice. Unless you've pulled a number seemingly out of nowhere they won't bother checking. You can always get it rechecked I suppose, but I'm not sure what the penalty might be. There's nothing on the Marking Scheme from last year detailing what you should do in those situations. In all likelihood unless it looks like you've cheated they won't notice.

I've shown clearly all my workings to do with diffo and integration, which apparently are topics where calculators can be modified to cheat, so I think I'm safe in that respect. Thanks, I'll talk to my maths teacher tomorrow and leave a note on paper 2, hopefully this will clear it up for whoever a marking my paper

spurious wrote: »
    Your paper will not be failed.
    Just write a note on Paper Two where you are writing the calculator number.

Thanks, are you sure of this or are you just guessing?

I'm sure. Don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Knowing the SEC, it's possible that your paper will get failed for this.
    You obviously don't know the SEC at all well, and this happens to many panicky students each year, and no, they don't end up being failed.

You obviously don't know the SEC at all well, and this happens to many panicky students each year, and no, they don't end up being failed.

Fair enough, do you recommend just leaving a note on paper 2 then? Are the two papers even marked by the same person?

Fair enough, do you recommend just leaving a note on paper 2 then?
    Yes, that was the advice given by the SEC to someone on here who rang them in a panic on Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

OMG YOU'VE FAILED DON'T EVEN GO TO THE EXAM TOMORROW COS THE SEC POLICE WILL BE THERE TO ARREST YOU FOR CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY FOR NOT WRITING YOUR CALCULATOR.

Seriously, it makes no difference whatsoever. Write it on paper 2 and it'll be fine. Even if you didn't it won't make any difference as long as you're using a normal Casio/Sharp calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Why the flapperjacks is everyone wording about this? I didn't even see the box on the paper.. And what the point of them wanting to know what calculator you where using? ( I had two different models in with me..)

james142 wrote: »
    And what the point of them wanting to know what calculator you where using? ( I had two different models in with me..)
    Because certain types of calculators are banned (programmable calculators).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Why the flapperjacks is everyone wording about this? I didn't even see the box on the paper.. And what the point of them wanting to know what calculator you where using? ( I had two different models in with me..)

Certain calculators give students an advantage and therefore they're not permitted in state exams.

Here's a list of approved ones:
    http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/calculator_approval_list%20081012.pdf

That's from 2012. It could have been updated since then.
    Even if your calculator isn't on the list (Most of the scientific ones sold in shops here are), it's not a problem as long as it doesn't have any of these feautures:
    Programmable calculators are prohibited. The term “programmable” includes any calculator
    that is capable of storing a sequence of keystrokes that can be retrieved after the calculator is
    turned off or powers itself off.

Calculators with any of the following mathematical features are prohibited:
    • graph plotting
    • equation solving
    • symbolic algebraic manipulation
    • numerical integration
    • numerical differentiation
    • matrix calculations

Calculators with any of the following general features are prohibited:
    • data banks
    • dictionaries
    • language translators
    • text retrieval
    • capability of remote communication.

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/S93_05_Use_of_Calculators_in_the_Certificate_Examinations_ev.pdf

That's why they want you to write down the models(s).

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Certain calculators give students an advantage and therefore they're not permitted in state exams.

Someone could be using a modified calculator and then easily enter the make and model of an approved calculator. That is why I now think it shouldn't be a big deal considering I've shown all my workings etc on the paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Because some types of calculators are banned because they can plot graphs, curves etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I just wrote SHARP and forgot to put in the model. For the record I'm using SHARP EL-531X I presume that's ok? Should I just write the make and model and put in brackets directly below that (as used for paper 1) ? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maroon77

Paper 1 and 2 are corrected by different people in Maths so there is no point putting a note about your calculator on paper 2. It won't be an issue just concentrate on the paper in the morning and best of luck to you all

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I just wrote SHARP and forgot to put in the model. For the record I'm using SHARP EL-531X I presume that's ok? Should I just write the make and model and put in brackets directly below that (as used for paper 1) ? Thanks!
    Wouldn't do any harm.

Whether it's the same marker or not, it's there for the SEC if for any reason they want to check it.

And as I said above, that was the advice the SEC themselves gave to someone who rang them in a panic Friday.

Plus pretty much (though much more politely) telling them to calm tf down, the sky wasn't about to fall.

So could everyone do that then? :pac: :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Maybe you could sticky one of these threads 'til Tuesday morning :P

People never look at stickies! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xoxuxxexaxi

what about someone brings a banned calculator and just makes a false model on the papers??😰

what about someone brings a banned calculator and just makes a false model on the papers??😰
    It's up to the superintendents to keep an eye for that, nothing students need worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Packet Of Gravy

What happens if you're like me and only realise now that you didn't write the calculator model on either paper?

Advertisement