Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimmage

Options
  • 08-06-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a place in Kimmage and would love some advice on the area. I know there were other threads but they are a bit old now so thought I'd look for up to date info. The areas I am thinking about are Devenish Rd and Blarney Park?

I'm a girl buying on her own so looking for someplace I'll feel safe.

All feedback, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Wade in, lovely area altogether you cant go wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yup. Great area, and Devenish/Blarney are the posh bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Cheapest square on the monopoly board.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

Done a lot of research into the place recently- those roads you mentioned are nice. You are very close to all the shops. I've been around the place at all hours, you get the odd person hanging around, but I've yet to see any trouble. All told house prices seem pretty affordable compared to nearby area's.

from the irish times :

Why now?
    With house prices on the rise, Kimmage represents good value for those priced out of neighbouring Terenure, Rathmines and Ranelagh, says Ciaran Cassidy, manager of Lisney’s Terenure office, who covers the area. “There are great houses for first-time buyers. The closer to the village the property is, the more attractive it is.”
    As a result, the area is attracting young families, says Johnnie Mullan of local estate agents Murphy Mullan. “Kimmage’s proximity to town is another big selling point.” The area has two main types of housing stock; 1900s-built properties and smaller ex-corporation houses of 700 and 800sq ft, many of which have already been extended.

What residents say
    Graphic designer and mother-of-three Emma Carty moved into the area about four years ago, buying a three-bedroom semi, a former council house, on Derravaragh Road, just off Kimmage Road West.
    Originally from Co Offaly, she wanted an area that had a village feel but wasn’t in Dublin’s outer suburbs. “Town is just a 40-minute walk,” she explains. The area is also a good school catchment area and there are lots of activities for her children. They go to scouts and guides in Terenure village Memorial Hall.
    Her daughter, Althea, aged six, goes to Presentation College in Terenure, a girls’ primary school that also has a secondary school and is a 15-minute walk away. Her son, Riley, aged three, attends nearby Manor Montessori School and Nursery on Ashdale Road.
    Carl McHugh, aged 24, grew up in Kimmage and moved back into the area six months ago to rent a house with friends. He pays €1,500 per month for a three-bedroom house that has a large, open- plan kitchen and a 60-foot back garden with a deck.
    He describes the location as being “within touching distance of town” and, crucially for a boy about town, “just a €7 taxi ride home”. In his job as supervisor at Assador, a restaurant on Haddington Road, Carl keeps late hours. He loves the area’s sense of community.
    “It’s not like any of the other apartments or house-shares I’ve had in my 20s,” he says. His next door neighbours, a couple in their 70s, are kind enough to put out his bin on a Sunday night if he isn’t home to do so.
    Kimmage’s report card should also reflect that the mixed area straddles two post codes, D6W and D12, and borders Drimnagh, Walkinstown and Crumlin, and, as with any large city area, some pockets might not always be as cordial as Carl McHugh’s grade A experience so far.
    One local, who didn’t want to be named, advises house-hunters to investigate first-hand what the road they want to live on is like before they consider buying into the area.
    He goes as far as suggesting that they “stake it out” on a Friday night at two or three in the morning, by sitting on location in their car and observing what does and doesn’t go on there before making any commitments.

Amenities
    Eamonn Ceannt Park, on Sundrive Road, has a Crumlin address but is Kimmage’s best green space. Its amenities include a track-and-field athletics area, and grass and all-weather football pitches. The park is home to Ireland’s only cycle track, a velodrome that is used by Cycling Ireland and Sundrive Track Team for competitions. The park has two tennis courts and a basketball court where bicycle polo matches take place. It has a playground and when it freezes the kids go sledding on what’s known locally as The Hill.
    Larkview Boys FC is the local soccer club, where Brian Kerr, former Republic of Ireland football manager, once played at junior level. Nowadays they have just one youth team while nearby Harold’s Cross Youth Club on Harold’s Cross Road boasts eight or nine teams but they are full to capacity at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

I grew up there and lived there until 2 years ago. Devinish rd and blarney park are fine to live on but I defo would not describe them as posh kimmage. Posh kimmage would be towards kimmage road and st martins drive etc.
    I now live in uk and would choose this area to move back to mainly because I grew up there.
    I will be honest tho , devinish rd is the crumlin side of kimmage and it has it's moments. Also sun drive park although it has great facility's and football team also had gangs of toe rags hanging in it up as far as 2 years ago.
    I regularly go home and stay around the area with friends , I actually hung around on devinish road when I was a teenager.

If you want to ask anything I will give you an honest answer as I lived on nearby stannaway road and from 20-25 lived there alone so I can help. Although I'm a guy :)

kelledy wrote: »
    I grew up there and lived there until 2 years ago. Devinish rd and blarney park are fine to live on but I defo would not describe them as posh kimmage. Posh kimmage would be towards kimmage road and st martins drive etc.
    I now live in uk and would choose this area to move back to mainly because I grew up there.
    I will be honest tho , devinish rd is the crumlin side of kimmage and it has it's moments. Also sun drive park although it has great facility's and football team also had gangs of toe rags hanging in it up as far as 2 years ago.
    I regularly go home and stay around the area with friends , I actually hung around on devinish road when I was a teenager.

If you want to ask anything I will give you an honest answer as I lived on nearby stannaway road and from 20-25 lived there alone so I can help. Although I'm a guy :)

ever encounter issues up closer to the KCR? like around Poddle Park, Ravensdale, St Annes, Brookfield?

ever encounter issues up closer to the KCR? like around Poddle Park, Ravensdale, St Annes, Brookfield?

When poddle close first opened it was a hell hole all council housing but as far as i know residents had a 3 strikes and out rule so most are gone now.
    The area is fine but you really have to know what roads to avoid and what roads are safe but as a whole I'd highly recommend kimmage

kelledy wrote: »
    When poddle close first opened it was a hell hole all council housing but as far as i know residents had a 3 strikes and out rule so most are gone now.
    The area is fine but you really have to know what roads to avoid and what roads are safe but as a whole I'd highly recommend kimmage

which roads be one the ones to avoid so in your experience? only one so far I've felt a little iffy on after dark is a small section Stannaway Road....also see the odd group hang around the shops across from Eamonn Ceannt Park but never any actual trouble.

Never appreciated how close Kimmage is to town - 10-15 minutes to St Stephens Green on the bike :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

I worked in one of the shops for a few years and we had fairly regular trouble off a couple of groups. Other than that it seems like a nice area with nice people and is close enough to town.

• Advertisement

which roads be one the ones to avoid so in your experience? only one so far I've felt a little iffy on after dark is a small section Stannaway Road....also see the odd group hang around the shops across from Eamonn Ceannt Park but never any actual trouble.

Never appreciated how close Kimmage is to town - 10-15 minutes to St Stephens Green on the bike :-)

The only areas i would avoid in kimmage would be cashel road and avenue . The closer to kimmage road the better. Also you have Carlisle gym in kimmage.
    Great sports teams etc
    The reality is Crumlin spills heavily into kimmage . Its not until you pass the kimmage road and enter d6w that it improves .
    The area has improved hugely and i would class it as safe but if you are going to buy a house there and raise kids they will get exposed to scumbags at some stage.... if you are smart you will avoid trouble tho . I managed it for 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

A useful tool for looking at the 'official' deprivation stats for an area can be found on the CSO website. I work in the area as a Community Development Practitioner and my overall experience and assessment of the area is that it experiences less social deprivation than neighbouring Crumlin (which are all Kimmage EDs) but not lesser than neighbouring Larkfield.

It has much to be positive about.

Advertisement