Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facilities Broken - New Tenant

Options
  • 08-06-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Didn't see much posted on this so just thought I'd ask for some advice. I have moved in to a new house on 28/5/14 in Cork, rented through an agency. The next day, went to use the washing machine for the first time, and it didn't appear to be working. Mentioned to the agency twice( firstly when I went to sign the lease, second time when OH called the agency to see has anything been done about it). A lad was sent out to look at it, he said it was a broken timer, and he tried contacting the agency, as did my OH. No answer from the lady there, so messages were left.

We were told by the person sent out that it would be Thursday at earliest that we would have anything about the machine, but as we haven't heard anything from the agency in response to this, we are still left without a washing machine.

Before I send an email to the agency, I would like to know if it is possible to say that we have receipts from the laundrette place we have used and that we will be looking for that value taken off the rent? Or is it tough luck?

It will also be mentioned in the email that the worker in the agency is oh so very unhelpful in any situation. I forgot to mention I went in to them on Friday morning just gone to ask her about it, she just said 'Oh I didn't know you haven't heard back about that'.

Bit infuriating by now, terrible response in comparison to what I've experienced before from other landlords/agencies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It wasn't Choices, was it? They are notorious for not sorting issues...

Did you put the issue in writing? I would send a letter via registered post, telling the agent of the problem and asking for it to be resolved within a week. Don't text or e-mail - that won't be proof you've asked for this to be resolved.

Is there any chance you can get hold of the LL direct and put the problem to them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Did you put the issue in writing? I would send a letter via registered post, telling the agent of the problem and asking for it to be resolved within a week. Don't text or e-mail - that won't be proof you've asked for this to be resolved.

Is there any chance you can get hold of the LL direct and put the problem to them?

The LL has employed an agent to do this work. Good idea to keep launderette receipts. You have taken a property where the agreement provides for a washing machine. It's not good enough fore them to be putting it on the long finger. There are plenty repairmen looking fore jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No it wasn't them. Surprised an email wouldn't be proof but can do up a letter alright.

I'd prefer not to go through the LL direct, as mentioned below by Santa Cruz.
    Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The LL has employed an agent to do this work. Good idea to keep launderette receipts. You have taken a property where the agreement provides for a washing machine. It's not good enough fore them to be putting it on the long finger. There are plenty repairmen looking fore jobs

Thank you for this, and to ABajanincork.

I should also mention that the house wasn't cleaned before us moving in, so that will be mentioned in the deposit too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

An e-mail can be ignored. The LL/agent can always claim non-receipt. That's why it's recommended that you send a letter, preferably registered. Far harder to ignore.

The reason why I suggested going to the LL direct is so that he can light a fire under the agent. What else is he paying them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A washing machine is among the facilities specifically listed as required in a rental property by law. You need to remind the agent of this.

• Advertisement

So had quite a bit of contact today with the agency. Apparently we are not allowed a refund on the dry cleaning, although I left a further message with the agent saying I still fully expect it. Have now typed up a letter to be sent into them tomorrow, saying we expect the refund, a new washing machine by this week. Did a timeline of events too. Called into the office when they were closing up, gave out, said I'd be back on my way to work tomorrow morning. Going to get a direct contact for the LL too. I emailed the letter too, so he'll get that first, and then the letter the next day. They must love us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd contact threshold or the prtb, about the non working washing machine, which is legally required.

I'd contact threshold or the prtb, about the non working washing machine, which is legally required.

Yeah have a day off work tomorrow. so will make an early morning visit to the agencyand get some stuff sorted. PRTB say they can't give advice so Threshold will be contacted alright.

Spent the morning looking up the laws, down to them at 9.30. New machine by 4.00.

Thanks folks!

Spent the morning looking up the laws, down to them at 9.30. New machine by 4.00.

Thanks folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement