Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Totally Reboot?

Options
  • 08-06-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a Compaq laptop, seven years old. I'm gonna need a new one shortly but would like to squeeze s little more life outta this one.

I mostly use it as a media player and for browsing but for the last while it is impossible to use for browsing so I just use my phone.

Problem is everytime I attempt to browse it hangs, and hangs and hangs. A simple task could take 20 mins to load. Looking at a pic heavy forum is very frustrating and you can forget about video of any description.

Using the laptop offline for anything else, e.g. word / excel / pic editing / playing music or saved videos ain't a problem.

I've tried different browsers and it's made no difference.

Am I better off deleting everything and starting from scratch ot is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Ctrl-shift-escape for task manager, see what processes are consuming cpu/memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

To be honest a fresh install would probably be your best bet, save your precious data first. Other than that you will need to start un-installing programs, check what starts at start-up and as suggested before see what processes are hogging your cpu/memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

msconfig to check what starts up at boot
    is all the RAM working? if not try reseating it
    uninstall what you don't need
    run ccleaner, scan disk for errors, remove all but most recent restore points, defrag
    make sure you've only 1 AV software (and that its up to date)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thanks lads.

I have an external hard drive that I can dave my data to. How do I go about a fresh installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

I have an external hard drive that I can dave my data to. How do I go about a fresh installation?
    Did you get restore disks or a windows disk? Restore will restore the pc to factory settings with all the software that was on it when you got it. A windows disk would reinstall windows

• Advertisement
Advertisement