Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour Matching

• 08-06-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I am looking at re-spraying my XJ-900

It is dark green but also has a dark green frame.

I do not want to paint the frame so what colour would go with dark green???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

According to Colour wheel theory, Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

According to Colour wheel theory, Red.

Then what colour do I spray the wheels ha

Don't want to mess it up, why couldn't the frame he black or silver

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

red and green should never be seen without a colour in between !
    you might look a bit christmassy if you're going around on a red and green bike.
    would you consider white with the green frame to make the frame stand out rather than over powering it with a new colour?
    Can we have a pic of your bike?

red and green should never be seen without a colour in between !
    you might look a bit christmassy if you're going around on a red and green bike.
    would you consider white with the green frame to make the frame stand out rather than over powering it with a new colour?
    Can we have a pic of your bike?

Very true and the white would be nice
    nice

I'm on my mobile so I will try attach one now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Black? Change the green to black, leave the frame green. Paint the forks black and leave the wheels grey?

• Advertisement

I was thinking black but would that not be very dark against the green?

DSC_0086_zpsnahxbjho.jpg

Well I discovered this morning that trying to photoshop with just one hand is incredibly frustrating & difficult. I was trying to show you what it could look like and got fed up around here: http://i.imgur.com/1CAf469.jpg

It's sorta black! I think it would look well. If you painted the forks and the down pipes black I reckon you're onto a winner. Matt black rattle can job too so wouldn't cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

@OP: what's the reason for the change? Is the bike a bit shabby or do you just not like the colour?

Honestly, I wouldn't advocate painting around the frame like you're proposing with such a particular colour like you have. Personally, I would go one of two ways with your bike; 1) Paint the body your choice of colour and Plati-dip the visible parts of the frame black- if you continue to love the bike you could think about stripping and powdercoating the frame in the future 2) remove the existing naff graphics- (I don't know if they're lacquered in- I presume you'd still have to respray if you remove graphics only) and replace with maybe something similar in maybe black and red?? Either way, I reckon a belly pan would make a world of difference to your bike.

Vikings wrote: »
    Well I discovered this morning that trying to photoshop with just one hand is incredibly frustrating & difficult. I was trying to show you what it could look like and got fed up around here: http://i.imgur.com/1CAf469.jpg

It's sorta black! I think it would look well. If you painted the forks and the down pipes black I reckon you're onto a winner. Matt black rattle can job too so wouldn't cost a fortune.

Do you.mind me asking where was the other hand lol

Great thanks, that would actually look ok.

So looks like black or white are the best colours

Do you.mind me asking where was the other hand lol

Great thanks, that would actually look ok.

So looks like black or white are the best colours

In a cast for a few weeks thanks to this.

My first bike was a 600 diversion, would buy another in a heartbeat.

Have you thought of vinyl wrapping? One of the xj forums I used to be on there was a lot of projects that used wrapping to try out different colours rather than painting.

http://www.xjrider.com/viewforum.php?f=12
    http://diversionclub.proboards.com/

Two forums with plenty of reading material!

• Advertisement

Vikings wrote: »
    In a cast for a few weeks thanks to this.

Well there's your problem.....ouch!!

My first bike was a 600 diversion, would buy another in a heartbeat.

Have you thought of vinyl wrapping? One of the xj forums I used to be on there was a lot of projects that used wrapping to try out different colours rather than painting.

http://www.xjrider.com/viewforum.php?f=12
    http://diversionclub.proboards.com/

Two forums with plenty of reading material!

Was thinking of wrapping up how does it hold up to stone chips etc?

Thanks mate I'll have a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its a lot of work to get right, you can easily make a bálls of it. IMO the amount of time and money Vs the net worth of the bike isn't worth it.

Its a lot of work to get right, you can easily make a bálls of it. IMO the amount of time and money Vs the net worth of the bike isn't worth it.

I won't be getting rid if the bike anytime soon. I'll probably get another sports bike next year but I'll keep the XJ for the long spins and commuting.

Maybe a few cans of spray paint will be sufficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Just spray the mudguard green? Save yourself a load of hassle man

Just spray the mudguard green? Save yourself a load of hassle man

I'll probably do that for now but I'm not overly gone on the green anyway.

It's probablyas cheap to but fairings and just spray the tank now that I think of it.

cantdecide wrote: »
    @OP: what's the reason for the change? Is the bike a bit shabby or do you just not like the colour?

Honestly, I wouldn't advocate painting around the frame like you're proposing with such a particular colour like you have. Personally, I would go one of two ways with your bike; 1) Paint the body your choice of colour and Plati-dip the visible parts of the frame black- if you continue to love the bike you could think about stripping and powdercoating the frame in the future 2) remove the existing naff graphics- (I don't know if they're lacquered in- I presume you'd still have to respray if you remove graphics only) and replace with maybe something similar in maybe black and red?? Either way, I reckon a belly pan would make a world of difference to your bike.

I was looking at a belly pan and side panels, I'm just not mad about the green. bike is pretty clean it's just the colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I was looking at a belly pan and side panels, I'm just not mad about the green. bike is pretty clean it's just the colour.

Just my two cents but I would leave it green.
    As said already, spray the mudguard or see if there is a green one on ebay.
    IMO most bikes look best in there original state and when it comes to selling it a painted bike may put potential buyers off.

I see nothing wrong with the green, looks a bit different if anything.
    At the end of the day though, it's your bike.

Advertisement