Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming for Beginners - Courses

Options
  • 08-06-2014 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Does anyone know of summer 2014 courses in Cork aimed at complete beginners in programming, app development etc?

There are of course many online tutorials, however I'm looking for a group or individual class to get me started, as I find that the most effective way of learning :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Does anyone know of summer 2014 courses in Cork aimed at complete beginners in programming, app development etc?

There are of course many online tutorials, however I'm looking for a group or individual class to get me started, as I find that the most effective way of learning :)

I think St Johns college are doing a programming course using Java, check their website

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I'm not sure of Cork, but just as an extra online resource, there's a fairly big LearnJavascript group on reddit and they do study groups, the next one should be starting soon, they tend to run for 3 months :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/learnjavascript

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Have you tried Edx.org, they usual do high quality courses once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭RoisinRoseDubh

Thanks for all the suggestions :) Will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jonster

I've found the Stanford online courses fantastic, they're formatted as hour-ish long video lectures/tutorials and come with accompanying detailed lecture notes and exercises.

If they cover the technologies you're interested in learning I thoroughly recommend them.

Think this one is probably a good starting point: PROGRAMMING METHODOLOGY CS106A (you can find by google, apologies I can't post links yet)

There are several more you can find by yourself, I'm currently making my way through the iOS development one, which is taught by one of original development team for NeXT (the precursor for OSX/iOS). I haven't done the preliminary programming courses as much of the same material was covered during my college time but I'd imagine they're taught by similarly adept personnel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement