Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little regs

• 08-06-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

little regs who has them? who hates them ?
    Are the police as enthusiastic about them as some motorcyclists? (ever get grief about them?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I have one on mine since i bought the bike and have met many checkpoints etc and they never mentioned it at all

But i suppose all it takes is one guard to be awkward and he will do you for it

Its luck really imo and i find if you treat them descent whenever your unlucky enough to have to be dealing with them they will be ok with you to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mine is too small for me, never got bothered for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

All small on my 6 bikes..big ones are gay...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The reg on my bike is not legal but doesn't look too small, just a pain that my tax disc constantly vibrates around on the number plate bolt. Legal size plates are way too big for motorbikes, it's like having a airbrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Bought my new bike a few months ago and it came with a fairly small reg, a good few inches short in length and width.
    I have never changed the reg on my bike to make it smaller and I have no interest in changing it to make it bigger.

My husband got stopped on my bike a few weeks ago and it was like the garda was just ticking off a list in his head trying to find something to moan about and as everything else was in order, he settled on the reg. He said "you can't see that from 60ft away" and told him to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I had one on the bike I bought, got it changed to a normal size one! Absolutely see no point of the small reg plates! I also have a huge issue with the rear mudguard being cut! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I need to get one as mine is way too big and looks stupid, need to get a tidy tail as well. I've almost never heard of anyone getting in any trouble for smaller plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I also have a huge issue with the rear mudguard being cut! :)

Whats your issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

To me it ruins the look and provides an extra wide and high splatter of the water from the tyre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've a small plate on mine, good to see you don't get hassle with it. Have the original big one, but no intention of putting it back on. Hardcore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Some plates are miniscule and often illegible with script fonts. I'm surprised riders don't attract more attention from AGS. But then riders get away with tax disc holders obscuring legal number plates too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    To me it ruins the look and provides an extra wide and high splatter of the water from the tyre!

I can vouch for that. The previous owner cut the rear mudguard but the reg plates is standard (square). The amount of dirt the rear wheel kicks up is unreal, the givi plate is all mud underneath and the rear light is ALWAYS covered in mud. Need to order a proper tail tidy one...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

I got stopped twice in less than 2 years specifically for the small reg (which was on the bike when I bought it from a dealer).

Didn't get fined but on both occasions was told that my plate is illegal and I'll have to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

I bought my bike with a small plate, got pulled 3 days later, the plate size itself wasn't the problem was the wavy numbers previous owner put on it, was told to get a legal one and show it at my local station. Will be putting a small one back on in time with no effin wavy numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

There's a normal sized one on my fazer, with the size of the rear mud guard and massive indicators a small plate would look cack so i've no intention of changing it. Though big plates look like shit on a lot of sports bikes I find because most wouldn't be designed with that in mind.

The only thing visible to a cop car behind you is your number plate. So no matter how you drive if your plate is wrong you've given them an automatic reason to stop you - should they feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I plan on getting a black pressed metal one soon. They look awesome !!

Anywhere know where to get small metal pressed plates?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anywhere know where to get small metal pressed plates?

Right here - http://www.radiatorservice.ie/

They do mail order if you want as well.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Right here - http://www.radiatorservice.ie/

They do mail order if you want as well.
    Nice one, they do every sort of plate there, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I dont like the small ones for the simple fact that if you do stick the tax disc on the back reg plate it actually looks like you are trying to hide the digits on the reg. Where as if you have a standard normal reg plate and you stick the tax disc on the back it doesnt look like you went out of your way (even if you did), it just happened to slide down with the vibrations officer etc etc!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

but is the small one not enough to obscure the reg from the camera so the same job is accomplished either way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Some plates are miniscule and often illegible with script fonts. I'm surprised riders don't attract more attention from AGS. But then riders get away with tax disc holders obscuring legal number plates too.

I have a full size plate and my tax disc holder is always vibrating and sliding down over it!!

goodlad wrote: »
    I have a full size plate and my tax disc holder is always vibrating and sliding down over it!!

They'll do that alright. I've yet to find a way if stopping it happening !!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Got pulled by bike cops on my old Mille tiny silver and red licence plate wavy oddly reflective digits and they didn't bat an eyelid and let me off with just a talking to.

but is the small one not enough to obscure the reg from the camera so the same job is accomplished either way?

No because if they have the picture of the plate they can blow it up and view it...at least if you have 2 digits hidden it will be like the crystal maze for them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Got stopped a few months back on the N7, Traffic Jeep specifically targeted me due to the plate size, told me I had 10 days to change it and produce it at the station (done) but that they were flagging the plate number and if I was spotted with another small plate on the bike it would be an automatic summons.

Weren't bad about it, specifically stated if I'd have had a tax disc covering the plate he would have been very unimpressed, but at least the bike was in good nick and I was wearing decent gear, had a little rant to himself about the amount of people he saw tearing round in jeans and runners etc.

KT10 wrote: »
    Got stopped a few months back on the N7, Traffic Jeep specifically targeted me due to the plate size, told me I had 10 days to change it and produce it at the station (done) but that they were flagging the plate number and if I was spotted with another small plate on the bike it would be an automatic summons.

Weren't bad about it, specifically stated if I'd have had a tax disc covering the plate he would have been very unimpressed, but at least the bike was in good nick and I was wearing decent gear, had a little rant to himself about the amount of people he saw tearing round in jeans and runners etc.

4 yrs and counting never stopped for a full size plate and the tax disc on back. In fact I had it on the side on my original bike and it was a traffic cop that told me to "Get the disc where its meant to be....on the back of the bike". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    4 yrs and counting never stopped for a full size plate and the tax disc on back. In fact I had it on the side on my original bike and it was a traffic cop that told me to "Get the disc where its meant to be....on the back of the bike". :rolleyes:
    Thinking about it, he did say they were focusing on bikers that one week, so maybe they were just being more strict, have had little plates on other bikes for years and never gotten a 2nd look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

simplybam wrote: »
    I got stopped twice in less than 2 years specifically for the small reg (which was on the bike when I bought it from a dealer).

Didn't get fined but on both occasions was told that my plate is illegal and I'll have to change it.

They didn't ask you to return to the station and prove you changed it ?

I know it an offense to have a non standard reg but what actions are open to the Gardai ? Are they technically supposed to call a tow truck and impound till you show up with the proper reg ? Maybe that might happen if the same Garda warned you to change it previously but it's hard to see them impounding a bike for a small reg, like it's a lot better than no reg at all :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Quoted from revenue.ie

The use of Registration Plates in a format other than those shown in Diagrams 1-6 above, is Prohibited by Law, and vehicle owners who use them may incur fines of up to €5,000 :eek:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/format-vehicle-registration-plates.html

Advertisement