Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a pickle

Options
  • 08-06-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so here's the sitch, I recently terminated my contract at my previous employer because I had a new job offer that I wanted to take. I have been at my new job for almost 2 months now but I'm on a 13 week probationary period. I have been forced to start looking for work elsewhere as this new job isn't working out for me hour wise. I had a call back to do some online assessments from a new job which I passed and I'm scheduled to recieve a phone interview in the next 12 hours. However if I do get offered a job from this new company I am unable to work my notice period in my current job as I'd have to start the new job 8 days from now. My notice period is a minimum of 1 week and due to obvious reasons I am reluctant to hand in any kind of resignation letter until I have completed the interview process and been offered a job from this new company, which may or may not happen. If I am offered this job I HAVE to take it as I need the hours they're offering (I'm really struggling on the hours my current job is providing) and its a slight career change that I have been trying to get for some time. I don't want to leave my current employer on bad terms because despite the things that have happened I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I was given there. Any ideas on what to do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

So the job starts in 8 days i.e. 16th June...?

Expecting less than 1 weeks notice is grossly unfair - does the new employer really expect you to do this??? I'd be looking for a job offer by email before 5pm tomorrow if they are.

As a last resort, you'd probably get away with it by resigning on Tuesday morning - but no later.

Hope the interview goes well.

Advertisement