Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Each player should be given a DVD of that too watch before every European game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Each player should be given a DVD of that too watch before every European game.

Id sit them down and show them the napoli at the Bridge game. The desire and belief was immense.

I feel sorry for lamps his european nights appear to be over. :o

Anyway, Saturday, huge game at anfield. Id take a draw now. Id actually start with Zouma, Jose wont but the kid is pretty immense and a good deal quicker than Cahill or JT.

He could be like last years Kalas at Anfield.

Hazard has taken 18 penalties so far in his career and missed 1, not bad going I suppose.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hazard has taken 18 penalties so far in his career and missed 1, not bad going I suppose.

:o

He missed another against Nordsjaelland back when Chelsea got well and truly dismantled by Juventus. Oscar's first goal in the first Juve match though ;)

As mentioned before, Hazard's wastefullness in one-on-ones is disappointing.
    I'm still inclined to think he's a one-trick pony, that being his dribbling of course.
    His passing is often sloppy unless less than 10 yards, inaccurate or under-hit.
    Can't trackback like the rest (not clinical enough on the break to merit that trust).
    Decision making and final ball when on the break often lead to him giving the ball away while the rest are busting their asses to get up the pitch, which sometimes leaves those joining out of position.
    Don't get me started on his shooting in general.

I do enjoy those dribbles though once he gets going, a few early in the first-half spring to mind but he needs to improve a lot of his other attributes. Potential is definitely there but with a bit of bad luck / attitude I could see him falling away in a few years. Mourinho is ruthless after all.

Hes the ultimate project, he has a bit of everything but lacks some things and can improve on other areas too.

Hes never going to get 20league goals a year, his real influence should be assists.

Although if he finished half the chances hes missed this year he'd have an extra few goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Really looking forward to Liverpool match on Saturday :) Especially with Costa raring to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i wasn't as down as some on the performance , first 10 minutes we should have scored , then took the foot of the pedal, 2nd half was very open, jose really went for it and maribor played like it was a cup final, costa was excellent as was hazard . ROLL ON SATURDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

In fairness Maribor have only had 1 defeat in 4 games so far in the CL so they know how to put in a shift. As a team though we are way too complacent sometimes, we need Remy fit for games like that. Costa & Oscar improved things when they came on but with an important league match early on Saturday Costa just could not be risked. Drog for me is an option off the bench when defences are tired, his days of starting really are beyond him. What has happened to Schurrle? Must be a World Cup hangover as Ozil seems very under the weather at Arsenal as well.

Will be interesting to see if Patrick Bamford keeps the progress going at Boro as he has scored everywhere he has been so far. If so have him in tow next season as well as Remy & Costa.

• Advertisement

I'd much prefer 3 points on Saturday than last night.

Given that Schalke lost and our next game is against said opponents away, that will be a huge game.

If we draw, a win against Sporting sends us top, lose to Schalke and we're in the horrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    As mentioned before, Hazard's wastefullness in one-on-ones is disappointing.
    I'm still inclined to think he's a one-trick pony, that being his dribbling of course.
    His passing is often sloppy unless less than 10 yards, inaccurate or under-hit.
    Can't trackback like the rest (not clinical enough on the break to merit that trust).
    Decision making and final ball when on the break often lead to him giving the ball away while the rest are busting their asses to get up the pitch, which sometimes leaves those joining out of position.
    Don't get me started on his shooting in general.

I do enjoy those dribbles though once he gets going, a few early in the first-half spring to mind but he needs to improve a lot of his other attributes. Potential is definitely there but with a bit of bad luck / attitude I could see him falling away in a few years. Mourinho is ruthless after all.

I can hardly believe such a comment could be posted, let alone posted in the Chelsea thread by a Chelsea fan.

Hazard is so much more than a one trick pony. Jefferson Montero, that's a one trick pony, Antonio Valencia is a one trick pony, Eden Hazard is anything but a one trick pony.
    I'd counter that, along with Fabregas, he is the best in the squad and one of the best players around when it comes to neat, intricate, incisive play on the edge of the box, other than Messi I don't think there's a player on the planet who has consistently made me go "wow!" with their ability to find an ingenious way through a tight defence on the edge of the box as much as Hazard.
    His tracking back isn't as good as Willian or Oscar but he's our main attacking threat and, more often than not, he's the outball when we try to turn defence into attack.
    I don't agree at all, as I said, he is the one usually leading the break and, more often than not, tends to find the right pass, off the top of my head against Maribor last night his back heel flick to Oscar after Maribor had committed a few men forward was genius.
    Granted his finishing isn't the best though he will chip in with a very respectable amount of goals in a season.

There's no better player in world football at getting past a player. He sees things that us mere mortals, from the heights of the stands or the wide camera angle of the tv, wish we could see. I think he's the closest thing you could get to Frank Ribery without cloning him, he's a sublime talent, the best player in England and one of the best in Europe and he's Chelsea's main man and I couldn't be happier about that. Some players deserve a healthy dose of criticism for last night, Hazard isn't among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Torres greatest effort in a chelsea shirt :pac:
    Neville on commentary as well :pac:
    Nearly brings a tear to my eye.
    Do ya know what? It wouldn't be as special anyway.

I'm still celebrating that night in Barcelona.

Torres forever legend.

I can hardly believe such a comment could be posted, let alone posted in the Chelsea thread by a Chelsea fan.

Hazard is so much more than a one trick pony. Jefferson Montero, that's a one trick pony, Antonio Valencia is a one trick pony, Eden Hazard is anything but a one trick pony.
    I'd counter that, along with Fabregas, he is the best in the squad and one of the best players around when it comes to neat, intricate, incisive play on the edge of the box, other than Messi I don't think there's a player on the planet who has consistently made me go "wow!" with their ability to find an ingenious way through a tight defence on the edge of the box as much as Hazard.
    His tracking back isn't as good as Willian or Oscar but he's our main attacking threat and, more often than not, he's the outball when we try to turn defence into attack.
    I don't agree at all, as I said, he is the one usually leading the break and, more often than not, tends to find the right pass, off the top of my head against Maribor last night his back heel flick to Oscar after Maribor had committed a few men forward was genius.
    Granted his finishing isn't the best though he will chip in with a very respectable amount of goals in a season.

There's no better player in world football at getting past a player. He sees things that us mere mortals, from the heights of the stands or the wide camera angle of the tv, wish we could see. I think he's the closest thing you could get to Frank Ribery without cloning him, he's a sublime talent, the best player in England and one of the best in Europe and he's Chelsea's main man and I couldn't be happier about that. Some players deserve a healthy dose of criticism for last night, Hazard isn't among them.
    agreed, ran himself into the ground last night, was superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I agree with all of that, he doesnt deserve to be criticized atal. He is def in the top 5 or 6 in the world and he will only get better. I wouldnt trade him for any player in the world .

He missed a peno , big ****ing deal. It was him who won the penalty anyway

I agree with ya on your points but no player is above criticsm and Hazard gets that even from his own manager. Much like Messi, although a few years older right now, he has to seriously work on his finishing, it was Messis weakest aspect of his game at Barca for about 18/24months when he first broke onto the scene and he changed that, the rest is history.

I'm not saying Hazard will get even half the goals Messi does but if he can improve one aspect of his game, he'll go an awful long way to being considered one of the best in the world.

Last night he was our best performer and yet, he had our 2 best chances and fluffed his lines on both occasions, the penalty was terrible, granted the pitch wasnt exactly in great condition but if he had a doubt he should have been more decisive in his action, the 1 on 1 was comical, he had time on the ball and lashed at it with his left foot, hes so quick to change direction he could have walked around the Maribor keeper but he got caught in two minds.

Hazard could very easily be the match winner on Saturday, he was excellent against City, Utd, Arsenal so far this season and again last night.

My only criticism is, he has to do it more consistently and add goals and assists, goals from open play would be nice too as he doesnt get enough of them IMO.

Jose and his father were right, his attitude is to nice, he lacks that killer instinct and a bit of bite, although going on the last few games this squad lack the ability to see out a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

peteeeed wrote: »
    agreed, ran himself into the ground last night, was superb

He did run himself into the ground alright and he was the one who was always the more likely to create a bit of magic, there were others on the pitch which deserve as much or even more criticism like costa for example, his finishing was very poor but hazards finishing was bad as well and just because he's our best player by a long way doesn't make him immune to criticism.
    He's far from a one trick pony tho, he's still young and more than willing to take constructive criticism on the chin and improve his game. He's still my favourite premier league player.

The main thing last night was we didnt lose and that Schalke did.

Thats another point gained over probably the 2nd best team in the group, if we finish top our potential opponents will be from the teams fighting for 2nd in some groups.
    Group A
    Atletico - 9
    Olympiacos - 6
    juventus - 6
    Malmo - 3

Group B
    Real - 12
    Basel - 6
    Liverpool - 3 * Cant play Liverpool
    PFC Ludogorets Razgrad - 3

Group C
    B.Leverkusen - 9
    Monaco - 5
    Zenit - 4
    Benfica - 4

Group D
    Dortmund - 12
    Arsenal - 7 * Cant play Arsenal
    Anderlecht - 2

Group E
    Roma - 4
    CSKA - 4
    City - 2 * Cant play City

Group F
    PSG - 10
    Barca - 9

Group H
    Porto - 10
    Shaktar - 8
    BATE Borisov - 3

Looking at how the groups are, I'd really want to avoid either team in PSG/Barcas group.

Imagine topping your group and your last 16 game is Barca, lovely :pac:

Fully fit team for us neither Barca or PSG are a problem

Fully fit team for us neither Barca or PSG are a problem

Fully fit and everyone on form we're one of the best teams around but those days dont come along very often.

Our last few games have been Jose like performances, the team doing just enough to win or at the very worst, getting a draw.

Our last good win and performance was against Arsenal at the Bridge and that was a month ago, we played a good team that arent far off us and we won, we need a big game on Saturday if we want to win, either that or we need Liverpool to have a mare and we might not need to be at our very best, either way theres a big game Saturday that we need at least a point from.

Thing is Barca & PSG would need a fully fit team and to be on top form to have a chance, that is a two way street.

Our side is in general quite young and a good few players are still being integrated, up and down performances are to be expected. Good to see we have some resilience at least and also a manager capable of changing tactics during a game when things are not going to plan.

How often under say the interim one were we waiting for the 70th minute so as a change would be made, and then quite often of course the wrong one.

• Advertisement

I think anyway the first loss isnt far away from this team, its not the end of the world, as long as we bounce back with a win and go on another unbeaten and try build from there I'll be delighted.

He had a stinker last night but you gotta love Matic, the quote from the Gauniard about the Liverpool game last season is excellent

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/06/liverpool-chelsea-nemanja-matic-defend-park-bus?

“Many teams this season have tried to park the bus in front of the goal against us, but we win,” said Matic. “It’s not easy. If you defend, you have to know how to defend. In that game (in April) we showed we have quality"

Well whoever the phantom Chelsea player that Suarez claims to have talked to during the match its a fair bet it was not Matic.

I just the quote from Rodgers saying it was easy to coach 10 players to defend.

Ya, good one Brendan, hows the defensive coaching working out for ya so far?

My comment taken apart nicely.
    Was a bit disappointed last night but I definitely went a bit over the top. More of a desire for him to fulfill that potential than anything. Suppose 23 is nothing nowadays for a footballer's age.

I'd agree with Gav in that I wouldn't expect him to ever be banging in goals for fun, but I'd hope that his assisting figures become a bit more impressive as the season goes on.

I think anyway the first loss isnt far away from this team, its not the end of the world, as long as we bounce back with a win and go on another unbeaten and try build from there I'll be delighted.

I've been feeling it'll be Saturday's match for a while. If they get away from that unscathed then it'll come at the Emirates (not until April) or else not at all. Bit of a bold prediction.

Has anybody noticed that 4 of the matches during potential Champions League semi-final dates are: United (H), Arsenal (A), Crystal Palace (H), Liverpool (H) ? http://www.chelseafc.com/matches/fixtures---results.html

Cause for concern?

I know it's getting miles ahead of the present but if Chelsea were still in Europe at that stage and finished out the season unbeaten then surely Arsenal's achievement would not only be discredited, but completely forgotten about? Gunners were out of Europe (due to Chelsea) and didn't have a run of consecutive "big game" fixtures such as what lies ahead. I could be wrong about the run of fixtures.

I've been feeling it'll be Saturday's match for a while. If they get away from that unscathed then it'll come at the Emirates (not until April) or else not at all. Bit of a bold prediction.

We'll lose, it might not be at Anfield or the Emirates but away to someone like Sunderland or a nother struggling team is where we'll slip up, if its not on Saturday.
    Has anybody noticed that 4 of the matches during potential Champions League semi-final dates are: United (H), Arsenal (A), Crystal Palace (H), Liverpool (H) ? http://www.chelseafc.com/matches/fixtures---results.html

Cause for concern?

I know it's getting miles ahead of the present but if Chelsea were still in Europe at that stage and finished out the season unbeaten then surely Arsenal's achievement would not only be discredited, but completely forgotten about? Gunners were out of Europe (due to Chelsea) and didn't have a run of consecutive "big game" fixtures such as what lies ahead. I could be wrong about the run of fixtures.

Well I'm not to pushed about the invincibles record, we won the league with 29 wins, 1 lose and 8 draws one year, thats the most wins in a season, 3 more than the invincibles, that Chelsea team also knocked the invincibles off their perch as champions so for me that chelsea squad was every bit as good, in a different way, than the Arsenal team.

I'd take a UCL semi final, as a team with a big squad you have to be prepared to be playing big games back to back and its what I imagine all the players, fans and Jose wants, to be in the business end of the UCL and fighting for the EPL title and maybe the FA Cup too.

Would be great to go unbeaten but just as good to win the league been too long since we won it really.

Liverpool seem a little down on confidence and a little disjointed we really should not be losing there. But as I said before given last season I think they will be really up for this game.

Would be great to go unbeaten but just as good to win the league been too long since we won it really.

Liverpool seem a little down on confidence and a little disjointed we really should not be losing there. But as I said before given last season I think they will be really up for this game.

I think we'll end up losing 4 times this season anyway, unbeaten is pretty much impossible this day in age I reckon, the league and the quality in it is closer than it was a decade ago.

I'd take the league title no matter how many we lose as long as we claim it.
    Liverpool wont want to fall behind in the race for 4th, theyre only 3 points behind 4th placed Arsenal as it stands so they'll want points from Saturday, I dont think they harbour any ambition for the title this year as it stands anyway but if we win they'll be 15 behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Cause for concern?

Tis gettin miles ahead alright but 3 of those 4 games are at home so could be worse

• Advertisement

thats a fairly negative take on it all gav :)

thats a fairly negative take on it all gav :)

I hope I'm very wrong but recently we havent played to well and yet still won games, or in the case of some games i wont mention, been very unlucky not to win.

We could rock up to Anfield and blow them away but its just as likely that we'll be over turned.

One thing fopr sure is there will be goals, Liverpool, unless the pull a defensive master class out shouldnt be able to stop us and with Sterlings pace and the vision and skill of Couthino, we could struggle at the other end, hell Balotelli might even score, hes got a few against us for City.

costa brace , 3-1

costa brace , 3-1

Hopefully, he looked a little off the other night although the goal he scored was wrongly ruled out for offside :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I dont know do any of ye follow We Aint Got No History's match ratings, but id have them as a fairly accurate account of the way fans are thinking (ratings are done on a fan vote after each match)

So far this season our best regularly playing players have been:

1. Hazard - 7.8
    = Costa - 7.8
    3. Oscar - 7.6
    4. Fabregas - 7.5
    5. Matic - 7.4
    = Courtois - 7.4

It also ranks our best team performances as:

1. Maribor (H) - 7.90
    2. Arsneal (H) - 7.66
    3. Leicester (H) - 7.59
    4. Aston Villa (H) - 7.51
    5. Burnley (A) - 7.49

Maribor away was our worst performance (6.21). Also our last 4 games have been below the season average of 7.1.

and unsurprisingly, our worst players have been Schurrle and Salah both averaging 6.3... with Schurrle's 4.5 against Maribor equalling our worst individual performance of the season. (Drogba also got a 4.5, Schalke home)

I dont know do any of ye follow We Aint Got No History's match ratings, but id have them as a fairly accurate account of the way fans are thinking (ratings are done on a fan vote after each match)

So far this season our best regularly playing players have been:

1. Hazard - 7.8
    = Costa - 7.8
    3. Oscar - 7.6
    4. Fabregas - 7.5
    5. Matic - 7.4
    = Courtois - 7.4

It also ranks our best team performances as:

1. Maribor (H) - 7.90
    2. Arsneal (H) - 7.66
    3. Leicester (H) - 7.59
    4. Aston Villa (H) - 7.51
    5. Burnley (A) - 7.49

Maribor away was our worst performance (6.21). Also our last 4 games have been below the season average of 7.1.

and unsurprisingly, our worst players have been Schurrle and Salah both averaging 6.3... with Schurrle's 4.5 against Maribor equalling our worst individual performance of the season. (Drogba also got a 4.5, Schalke home)

I would have thought Everton away would have been on the top 5 matches, it was our best away performance, IMO. Scoring 6 at Goodison was excellent and some of the play was sublime even if we did ship 3 goals.

Very good news for Costa and hopefully the time he spends at Cobham can get him in tip top shape for the next few months which are critical to our season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There was a bit of speculation that costa requires an op a while ago. If true it would be the ideal time for him to have it done after the liverpool game. Id wonder if that is the reason for his non inclusion in the squad.

• Advertisement

Mourinho on Ba/Gerrard moment last season: 'It gave the title to Man City, simple as that'

Great press conference from Jose at the minute, very enjoyable.

Mourinho on Ba/Gerrard moment last season: 'It gave the title to Man City, simple as that'

Great press conference from Jose at the minute, very enjoyable.

It did derail Liverpool, they had up until that game I think won 10 on the bounce, or was it 1, but ya, our win brought them crashing down to earth, the draw with Palace though was the biggest f**k up of the year, and I include some of our games into that mix too, it allowed us back in but we f**ked up against Norwich in a 0-0 :o

Not that we would have won it in the end but having being over to that game it was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Chelsea team, toothless, no desire and Demba Ba had a nightmare, offside every few mins.

Wouldnt it be just typical that Liverpool would beat Chelsea this weekend when Chelsea are 1 game away from a club-record 17 unbeaten from the start of a season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Wouldnt it be just typical that Liverpool would beat Chelsea this weekend when Chelsea are 1 game away from a club-record 17 unbeaten from the start of a season...
    Wash your mouth out.
    With a wire brush and dettol.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out.
    With a wire brush and dettol.

Last 11 games at Anfield, 5 Chelsea wins and 2 draws... thought our record there was worse TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Last 11 games at Anfield, 5 Chelsea wins and 2 draws... thought our record there was worse TBH
    Granted it won't be easy. I think we are better than them and I think the game during the week will stand to us. We palyed like sh1t. Everyone knows it and this match on Sat is huge. Liverpool will be waiting in the wings for us to slip up. We need to be on top of our game - end of.
    Would you take a draw? Score draw perhaps?
    I would but reluctantly.

• Advertisement

I'd take a draw tomorrow, as long as it isnt a last min goal thats celebrated like a UCL final winner, saying that, a win would keep City honest who have QPR and keep Southampton behind us too.

No set of results can see us off the top of the table anyway so we'll still be top going into the international break but it depends on how the big lead will be.

Thats pretty decent, I thought it was way worse myself.

Although the 2-2 when Suarez bit Ivan was a robbery of the highest order so it could have looked better.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Granted it won't be easy. I think we are better than them and I think the game during the week will stand to us. We palyed like sh1t. Everyone knows it and this match on Sat is huge. Liverpool will be waiting in the wings for us to slip up. We need to be on top of our game - end of.
    Would you take a draw? Score draw perhaps?
    I would but reluctantly.

I see what you did there :pac:

I would most definitely take a draw to be honest.

I would most definitely take a draw to be honest.

Ya, keep Southampton probably 2 points behind and City 4 points behind.

Thats not bad, going into the 2nd international break.

Ya, keep Southampton probably 2 points behind and City 4 points behind.

Thats not bad, going into the 2nd international break.

Its brilliant, considering that we would have already played Everton, City, United and Liverpool away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement