Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Can't see Christensen making it as a CB unless he hits the gym, he looked very slight even at RB when he played. I'm pretty happy that Zouma could step up and within half a season would be good enough, I think it'd be a bit mad to have him and another new CB together so himself and Cahill for a couple of years will have to do. Maybe in that time Kalas will step up or we'll grab someone else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Can't see Christensen making it as a CB unless he hits the gym, he looked very slight even at RB when he played. I'm pretty happy that Zouma could step up and within half a season would be good enough, I think it'd be a bit mad to have him and another new CB together so himself and Cahill for a couple of years will have to do. Maybe in that time Kalas will step up or we'll grab someone else...

The issue with replacing JT is a similar one Utd faced trying replace Vidic, its very difficult to find a CB with their skill sets of being good old fashioned bruisers, not pretty to watch but will go to war with anybody for the cause.

Its not just the physical side of it, its all the attitude they bring to the pitch and how it rubs off on others around them, theyre leaders.

I dont think Pique is the answer anyway but Id like to be proven wrong if he was brought in, at least between Shakira and Eva we'd have hot women around the Bridge more reguarly. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Oscar awarded a new contract.
    Good thing too he's a vastly improved player this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kev1.3s wrote: »

his work rate on saturday was great

kev1.3s wrote: »

Sort Hazard out too and id be pretty happy so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

This is probably Oscar's best run of form since he joined the club?

Hes had 10 - 11 good performances on the trot now. Hazard and Matic are the only outfield players who can match that run of form this season.

Sometimes I feel Oscar doesnt get enough attention or praise from the media though, why isnt he being spoken about like Hazard, Di Maria and Silva?

Coutinho and Sterling get more praise than him which is shocking!

I understand Hazard will always get the majority of attention as he is the team's star player but its still not right is it? I feel like Chelsea fans are the only ones recognising Oscar is in brilliant form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hes had 10 - 11 good performances on the trot now. Hazard and Matic are the only outfield players who can match that run of form this season.

Sometimes I feel Oscar doesnt get enough attention or praise from the media though, why isnt he being spoken about like Hazard, Di Maria and Silva?

I understand Hazard will always get the majority of attention as he is the team's star player but its still not right is it? I feel like Chelsea fans are the only ones recognising Oscar is in brilliant form.

It's basically because he's less flashy I think, also it's not fashionable to be a workhorse... Saying that Di Maria and Silva would be above him for me

Oscars consistency is another blight on his copy book.

If he could manage to keep it up all season then hes a guy that can make team of the year, but if he tails off, like his pre-World Cup form, he offers little to the team.

I wonder what it ouwld be like for Cesc to be number 10 and drop Oscar next to Matic, it would probably give us more balance but Cesc starts attacks from so far back that hes hard to pick up so that helps him.

If i was taking a teams player or players from our rivals to add to our XI it would go as follows.

Pool - Sterling for Willian
    Arsenal - Sanchez for Willian and Kosclieny for Cahill
    Utd - Di Maria - Willian
    City - Silva for Willian, Kompany for Cahill, Toure for Oscar

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If i was taking a teams player or players from our rivals to add to our XI it would go as follows.

Utd - Di Maria - Willian

Willian is a different player to all them though... I love his work-rate to be honest, and he breaks brilliantly and often is the player who makes the initial break on a counter attack. Hes a very unique player, there arent many like him, im not sure id swap him for Sterling or Sanchez if im honest.. Di Maria yeah I definitely would as hes more in Willian's mould with better end product (but less work-rate).. Silva? Im not sure.. probably would do that swap too!

Koscielny for Cahill though? No way.

I'd definietly take a fit Kosclieny over Cahill. Simialr type of defender but Kos is slightly better IMO.

JT makes Cahill look a tad bit better when hes next to him.

I'd also take Sanchez over Willian mainly for the goals he would offer, Willian, while doing a good defensive job offers nothing in the way of a goal threat, considering hes got Ivanovic behind him, unless ronaldo is on the left wing, he has no real need to help Ivanovic whos very capable of keeping out a winger on his own.

I'd definietly take a fit Kosclieny over Cahill. Simialr type of defender but Kos is slightly better IMO.

JT makes Cahill look a tad bit better when hes next to him.

I'd also take Sanchez over Willian mainly for the goals he would offer, Willian, while doing a good defensive job offers nothing in the way of a goal threat, considering hes got Ivanovic behind him, unless ronaldo is on the left wing, he has no real need to help Ivanovic whos very capable of keeping out a winger on his own.

Yeah, Willian had a roughly 1 in 7 goal rate throughout his career with Shakhtar but its dropped to about 1 in 10 with Chelsea, although I'd suspect substitute appearances have alot to do with that rate too.

Contrast that with Schurrle who has a 1 in 4 rate during his career, Oscar who has a 1 in 4.5 also and Hazard who has a 1 in 3.5 rate... even Ramires has a slightly better goal rate than Willian throughout his career... its pretty poor really isnt it, but hes a different kind of player, he seems to start attacking movements rather than get on the end of them, he doesnt even have many shots.

I just think as an attacking option, he can be upgraded upon, even by members within the squad, which your goal ratio has alluded to.

TBH, if Reus was signed (big if) he'd take Willians place as wide right and give us some excellent balance.

I wonder will salah be sold or loaned in the summer too.

I just think as an attacking option, he can be upgraded upon, even by members within the squad, which your goal ratio has alluded to.

TBH, if Reus was signed (big if) he'd take Willians place as wide right and give us some excellent balance.

I wonder will salah be sold or loaned in the summer too.

Reus would be unreal, though I'd nearly be afraid of having too many big dogs in the team... Hazard, Costa, Reus, Oscar...

Reus would be unreal, though I'd nearly be afraid of having too many big dogs in the team... Hazard, Costa, Reus, Oscar...

Ya....theyed all be starting :pac:

Theyed be grand :D

• Advertisement

Ya....theyed all be starting :pac:

Theyed be grand :D

And who better than Jose to manage them and get them all working to a team-system and team-orientated way of playing.

On paper, our closest rival in the league is Southampton.

Does anybody expect them to be up there all season? Well the next few games will tell a lot.

Their next 10 EPL games are as follows :
    Villa - A
    City - H
    Arsenal - A
    Man Utd - H
    Burnely - A
    Everton - H
    Palace - A
    Chelsea - H
    Arsenal - H
    Man Utd - A

And who better than Jose to manage them and get them all working to a team-system and team-orientated way of playing.

Well, i would be delightful or it could all fall in on itself, ala Real Madrid :pac:

Well, i would be delightful or it could all fall in on itself, ala Real Madrid :pac:

I dont agree with the theory that Jose failed at Madrid, considering the opposition he had was probably the best club team ever, being led by probably the best trio of players to ever play at one club (Xavi, Iniesta, Messi).

First season he came 2nd in the league, finishing with 92 points. Won the Copa Del Rey beating Barca in the final, and reached a Champions League Semi-Final only to be eliminated by Barcelona.

Second season, he won the league with a records points total in Spain. Again lost in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League and went out of the cup in the last 8.

Third season was the worst and still wasnt even that bad, came 2nd again (though with only 85 points this time), made the Champions League last 4 again and lost the Copa Del Rey Final..

1 League Title
    3 Champions League Semi Finals
    1 Spanish Cup win

Not bad for 3 seasons competing against the best team ever at the height of their powers, if he had secured another league title it would have been overachieving in my opinion.

Also signed Khedira, Coentrao, Varane and Modric who are still good players for Madrid.

Fair enough his relationship soured with some players near the end, but its a once-off occurence in his career.

Jose at Madrid was a job well done IMO, nobody else could have done better.

I dont think he was a failure. You've pointed to the issues, mainly player poor and the struggle in the 3rd season.

He was the 1st to drop Casillas which says it all when Mourhino and Ancelotti both drop ya, something has to be up.

I prefer Real to Barca but theres something about Madrid I dont like either.

Anyway, he has his own project here and if he can build a mini Fergie-esque type dynasty of winning the league title the majority of the time over the next decade I'd be delighted.

• Advertisement

Wonder when Chelsea fans will start singing ''we're guna win the league''... think Liverpool started in September last season :pac:

Doing a little looking back at last season, aaaahhh so funny :D

Wonder when Chelsea fans will start singing ''we're guna win the league''... think Liverpool started in September last season :pac:

Doing a little looking back at last season, aaaahhh so funny :D

We've got our toppa the league chant.

The Pool fans didnt start singing until about March/April when theyre run started.

Unless you're 7 clear with 2 games to go, that kind of chant is silly but its all for banter.

We've got our toppa the league chant.

The Pool fans didnt start singing until about March/April when theyre run started.

Unless you're 7 clear with 2 games to go, that kind of chant is silly but its all for banter.

I know I think it started at Old Trafford in March, made it all the more funny though in the end.. there genuinely was a mass belief and faith among Liverpool fans that they were going to win it last season.

If you had to pick anyone to slip and fcuk it all up, it would have been Gerrard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Utd - Di Maria - Willian

Toure for oscar? No way would i do that swap , as much as i rate toure he is nearly 31 compared to oscar 24 is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Hate lazy reporting that telegraph is a rag
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11221715/.html

Full TSHO quote was we have won nothing maybe champions of autumn (laughing) but we won nothing. In response to a question is the league all over from BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Toure for oscar? No way would i do that swap , as much as i rate toure he is nearly 31 compared to oscar 24 is it?

+1
    Toure doesn't seem to be the same player this year either.

Utd - Di Maria - Willian

Toure for Oscar Gav you on the wacky backy at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

On paper, our closest rival in the league is Southampton.

Does anybody expect them to be up there all season? Well the next few games will tell a lot.

Their next 10 EPL games are as follows :

It's better that Chelsea play them near the end rather than at the start, as is the case with City. Hopefully after taking points off City, a bad result or two will have taken most of the belief out of them by the time the Chelsea game rolls around.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    It's better that Chelsea play them near the end rather than at the start, as is the case with City. Hopefully after taking points off City, a bad result or two will have taken most of the belief out of them by the time the Chelsea game rolls around.

Its a very tough run for them.

Ours isnt great either but if we can pick 24 points from the 10 games I'd be delighted.

Baggies next up beat them then worry about next match, we will be up there to be shot at so no easy games from here on in. On the positive side is Liverpool were really up for that match on Saturday and really came out of the blocks but we ground them down and deserved the win in the end.
    Liverpool are having a hard time but they are not that bad a side but we need to keep up those intensity levels, and no better man than TSHO to do that.

• Advertisement

Nice interview from Costa, I assume from before the 'Pool match on Saturday on BT replayed here on WAGNH you just gotta love Costa he really does look as hard as nails.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/11/9/7180257/diego-costa-i-like-to-win-i-hate-to-lose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Just before we move away from Oscar, he's a wonderful player, everything he does looks so easy, so effortless. He's not very flashy and I do feel he is underrated because everything he does seems so understated, when you look at how Hazard and Fabregas interact with him and how much trust they have in him it speaks volumes for the kind of player he is. I'll admit to being slightly biased, he's been one of my favourite players since the first time I saw him play (his debut for the senior Brazil side) he instantly caught my eye as a player who could go and play for any of the top clubs. I am delighted he will remain at the club.

Also it's not been mentioned here but Hazard's quotes are doing the rounds in the media. He says Chelsea is his dream club, lucky for us because Hazard is our dream player.

Just before we move away from Oscar, he's a wonderful player, everything he does looks so easy, so effortless. He's not very flashy and I do feel he is underrated because everything he does seems so understated, when you look at how Hazard and Fabregas interact with him and how much trust they have in him it speaks volumes for the kind of player he is. I'll admit to being slightly biased, he's been one of my favourite players since the first time I saw him play (his debut for the senior Brazil side) he instantly caught my eye as a player who could go and play for any of the top clubs. I am delighted he will remain at the club.

Also it's not been mentioned here but Hazard's quotes are doing the rounds in the media. He says Chelsea is his dream club, lucky for us because Hazard is our dream player.

Well if Hazard sticks around and under Joses guidance, hopefully he can move onto another level, hes still a bit off where his true potential can take him, IMO but if he puts in the hours and listens to those around him he can become a real world beater, peerless even.

theres a part in that video about 1.50 in where he goes over to Wenger and gives it large, legend :pac:

OK this is the express not quite as bad as the Telegraph but not great neither, so Reus apparently considering move to us and going to snub Arsenal as he wants to win trophies

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534028/Marco-Reus-Arsenal-Manchester-United-Chelsea-Borussia-Dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

OK this is the express not quite as bad as the Telegraph but not great neither, so Reus apparently considering move to us and going to snub Arsenal as he wants to win trophies

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534028/Marco-Reus-Arsenal-Manchester-United-Chelsea-Borussia-Dortmund

The Express not as bad as the Telegraph ? 10 times worse imo

Ah the Express are running it from the Sun too :o

I'd take a pinch of salt with it TBH but the story was doing the round yesterday or Sunday about Reus being swapped for Schurrle.

I can see why he'd turn down the north of England for London though, its a huge allure playing in the capital.
    greendom wrote: »
    The Express not as bad as the Telegraph ? 10 times worse imo

Ya, got to agree, along with the Metro, the Express is fairly sh*te, IMO.

This is some stat
    Chelsea don't seem to like it when the poor weather sets in. A poor winter run cost Luiz Felipe Scolari his job in early 2009 and since then the Blues have struggled in November and December.

In fact, Chelsea have won just 36 of their 82 matches in those two months since the start of the 2008-09 season, drawing 26 and losing 20 matches, a record of just 43.9 per cent.

With Chelsea winning an average of 59.1 per cent of all of their matches in those six seasons (with a low of 51 and a high of 70), that figure for November and December becomes more than just an anomaly, it is an annual problem.

its taken from here : http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea/five-reasons-why-favourites-chelsea-might-not-win-the-premier-league-30733726.html

Basically gives us a doomsday scenario for the league.

Lose a key player, playing in 4 competitions, lack of killer instinct/over confidence and of course playing in the winter months.

• Advertisement

In other news Dzeko is out for City for whats looking to be 3 weeks.

He'll be likely missing for their games against swansea (H) & Bayern (H)

He'll be a doubt for the Southampton (A) game but I'd expect he'll play some part if needed.

Thats a big game this season for both clubs, Saints looking to pick up more points for a European venture and City to try and clsoe the gap on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think once that city are confirmed out of the champions league, then they'll push on in the EPL. They're in a spinning plates mode with both competitions and are struggling as a result

duploelabs wrote: »
    I think once that city are confirmed out of the champions league, then they'll push on in the EPL. They're in a spinning plates mode with both competitions and are struggling as a result

I know their co-efficent ranking doesnt help their chances in the group, not this year anyway but they should be easily the 2nd best in pretty much any group they go into.

I hope they finish 2nd or 4th, mainly so it doesnt effect my trip to the Bridge to see the game between the two. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's pretty pathetic for one of the most expensively assembled clubs in Europe

Would believe the Sun long before I would believe the Telegraph personally, mutton dressed as lamb if ever there was.

On a happy note we now know Luis is better than Neymar, perhaps we should play him further forward. Video quality not great but worth watching

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/11/video-filipe-luis-too-good-for-50m-neymar-in-brazil-training/?

greendom wrote: »
    That's pretty pathetic for one of the most expensively assembled clubs in Europe

It is and its happening far to long.

I'm sure Citys owners would prefer the club to have had more exposure and a deeper involvment in the UCL.

They've spent the bones of a billion and have 2 league titles an FA Cup and a League Cup, 2 Community shields if ya want to count them to their name.

For that investment, in the 6 years theyve been invovled is pretty poor, the UCL being their biggest failing.

Contrast it with Romans first 6 years it reads as :
    3 titles
    3 FA Cups
    2 league cups
    2 community shields
    1 UCL Final

I dont know why City arent doing well in Europe, theyve got one of the best squads in Europe so its baffling, the blame must probably go to the coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Apparently theur fans don't care for the CL though, so it's all good.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Apparently theur fans don't care for the CL though, so it's all good.

I dont know why :confused:

Probably because they realise, they wont win it anytime soon.

Its grand saying you dont want it and play Palace and Burnley back to back but its about testing yourself against the best in Europe, going to Munich, Madrid, Barcelona etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How's pelligrini's record in the CL anyway?

How's pelligrini's record in the CL anyway?

Villareal - Semi final & Quarters
    Real - Last 16
    Malaga - Quarters

Not bad really and he should ahve City matching those of his past clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

zouma called up to the french senior squad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement