Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Yet PSG will probably doctor their books (again) or a relative blind eye will be turned to their failings in FFP.

I think FFP is a good thing but it wont ever get to a stage where a European super power is denied access to Europe.

It seems to have put the frighteners up the Chelsea board. I'm sure PSG will be treated the same as any other club - time will tell of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

greendom wrote: »
    Platini's concern was the increasing spiral of excessive spending that could lead to clubs going bust. If one of the main perpetrators of this spiral has now curbed its ways, I'm sure he's delighted as it justifies the whole ethos of the FFP.

Do you really believe that? Have you ever wondered why every big club (Chelsea included) voted for FFP?

An early proposal from Chelsea as a a form of FFP was that any spending from an entity (in this case Roman himself) was their responsibility and theirs alone. This was to ensure all of the financial risk was with the investor and the clubs would be ring fenced from it. This obviously was rejected in favour of the model we now have which will keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small.

In Germany they now have a one team league and will have for some time, Munich just buy the best of the opposition and weaken them (one of the strongest advocates for FFP was Munich I wonder why). Spain is a two team league and has been for some time and if Barca are not careful how they invest it could well be a one team league in the non too distant future. England are fortunate thanks to the investment at City and Chelsea they should continue to have a four team league (providing Arsenal hang in there). That the FA spread TV money out fairly at least gives the large next level teams such as Everton, Liverpool and Spurs a chance if they buy well but even then they will always be at risk if one of the now big clubs wants a player.

Realistically how many teams were capable of winning the CL this season? Three with a definite chance (Chelsea, Madrid, Munich) two with a possible chance (Barca, PSG) that's it. For sure in a few years United will be back in the shake up and possibly City so for the most part 7 teams will have any sort of chance to win the CL and depending on form any given season you could discount 3 or 4 of them which would vary from season to season. So have you ever thought of why big clubs voted for FFP? For me it protects them from competition (which is loosely what the case going through the Belgian courts at the moment is based on).

There will of course always be the odd season where a team will come together and give it a rattle such as AM last season but the big teams will feast on that flesh pretty quickly. The die has been cast and it is all due to FFP.

You may think that is for the good of football I dont, why can't someone with pots of money throw it at Liverpool, Leeds whoever. As long as the club is ring fenced and not liable for the debts then people should be able to spend their own money as they see fit.

I actually cannot think of any other industry that limits investment.

It seems to have put the frighteners up the Chelsea board. I'm sure PSG will be treated the same as any other club - time will tell of course.

Yea they must be terrified sitting there clear on top of the PL showing handsome profits and their biggest competitors not allowed to buy players. You can nearly hear the knocking of the knees from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bale anyone?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534626/Gareth-Bale-Chelsea-Man-Utd-Real-Madrid

Who actually prints this sh*te, whats worse is I clicked on it :pac:

Although the below looks pretty good, only on Football Manager though.

If there was any truth in we'd have to smash what Utd paid for Di Maria to bring in Bale, not happening.

--Matic
    Cesc--

Bale--Oscar--Hazard

Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Re Grumpymonster - yes I get what you're saying, Chelsea have climbed the ropes to Nirvana and then UEFA are kindly cutting them down so no one else can take the same path. To stop the madness of continued excessive spending I suppose the cut had to be made somewhere, and its the likes of Chelsea and to a lesser degress City who have most benefited from its timing.

• Advertisement

Bargain
    £32million pound man Costa has set Chelsea back £3.2m for every strike after netting 10 goals in just nine games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Bargain

That's great, so all his goals are free from now on.

Re Grumpymonster - yes I get what you're saying, Chelsea have climbed the ropes to Nirvana and then UEFA are kindly cutting them down so no one else can take the same path. To stop the madness of continued excessive spending I suppose the cut had to be made somewhere, and its the likes of Chelsea and to a lesser degress City who have most benefited from its timing.

For me the route taken is flawed diversity is good but we will agree to differ. As a Chelsea fan it's great we should always be at the top table

Bale anyone?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534626/Gareth-Bale-Chelsea-Man-Utd-Real-Madrid

Who actually prints this sh*te, whats worse is I clicked on it :pac:

Although the below looks pretty good, only on Football Manager though.

If there was any truth in we'd have to smash what Utd paid for Di Maria to bring in Bale, not happening.

--Matic
    Cesc--

Bale--Oscar--Hazard

Costa

Bale super player but at St£90m no thanks, if we get any one from Madrid then Varane is the man

kev1.3s wrote: »
    That's great, so all his goals are free from now on.

Nearly, sure he'll get to 32 goals before the end of december :pac:

• Advertisement

For me the route taken is flawed diversity is good but we will agree to differ. As a Chelsea fan it's great we should always be at the top table

Financial fair play for me has always been about keeping the big clubs big whilst bieng dressed up as a great leveller, what Roman has done at chelsea (and the advent of ffp has probably sped up the process some what but it was always in the program to become self sufficent) is build a club no matter what the cost and now through a mix of luck and management have arrived at a stratagey to get us in the black just in time.
    Ffp has ensured that a wealthy benefactor cannot pluck a club out of obscurity and give it success any more.
    It appears that we've gotten to the top table just in time it seems it's just a shame for any other club aspiring to reach the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Platini's concern was the increasing spiral of excessive spending that could lead to clubs going bust. If one of the main perpetrators of this spiral has now curbed its ways, I'm sure he's delighted as it justifies the whole ethos of the FFP.

Would i be right in saying, just to be sure, that the counter-argument (almost scare-mongering) used against the club's success in the first years of the Abramovich era that 'if Roman leaves or dies off ye will go bust' is now completely (or near enough to being) untrue?

Would any of you have an idea whether or not City would be due to fail the FFP test again at the end of this season? If i remember correctly their total loss over the 3year period to the end of last season was 150M. At this moment i don't see how they could make up that deficit in one season even with the new tv deal and winning the league.

In Germany they now have a one team league and will have for some time, Munich just buy the best of the opposition and weaken them (one of the strongest advocates for FFP was Munich I wonder why). .

I find it funny how the Bundesliga has fallen apart in terms of producing top class teams because of this, when after the '13 final at Wembley, all the pundits were raving on about how the Bundesliga was going to set the standard and dominate for years to come. The new dog in town if you'd call it that.

With grumpymunster's point in mind
    I think Bayern's recent purchases may have put off Reus from moving to them, there seems to be just about too many players there at the minute for him to be able to thrive.

Although it will never happen even in 5+ years time, I think that Bale would fit a Mourinho team due to his past experience as a left back. Nothing needs to be said about his attacking talent.

Last, in a long line of posts, according to Wiki (not the most credible I know) Babayaro's full name is: Celestine Boyd Jonto Dave Kennington Jacquet Hycieth Babayaro. Can't remember ever seeing a full name comprising so many individual names.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Would i be right in saying, just to be sure, that the counter-argument (almost scare-mongering) used against the club's success in the first years of the Abramovich era that 'if Roman leaves or dies off ye will go bust' is now completely (or near enough to being) untrue?

Yea pretty much this was the conventional wisdom at the time (obviously I use the word wisdom contextually as in fact no wisdom was in evidence at all). The word round the camp fire was Roman would get bored and go away to do something else. The stupidity of that train of thought always amuses me, here is a seriously rich youngish man. He did not become as seriously rich at such a young age by investing large amounts of money (even by his big standards it was serious money) then saying meah don't like this anymore I want to play a different game. Business logic such as that would be unlikely to lead to multi billionaire status.
    So here we are a few years down the road and there is really only one more piece of the jigsaw to fit. We have a world class team, we are one of the most recognisable clubs in the world, we have one of the very best academies / training facility in the world, we are now profitable. The last bit of the jigsaw is the stadium or more to the point the size of it.
    Even better Roman has shown that he is able to acknowledge a mistake and rectify it by bringing back TSHO and then Matic. Certainly we were fortunate that Roman opted to buy Chelsea rather than any other team it has been a hell of a ride.

I find it funny how the Bundesliga has fallen apart in terms of producing top class teams because of this, when after the '13 final at Wembley, all the pundits were raving on about how the Bundesliga was going to set the standard and dominate for years to come. The new dog in town if you'd call it that.

With grumpymunster's point in mind
    I think Bayern's recent purchases may have put off Reus from moving to them, there seems to be just about too many players there at the minute for him to be able to thrive.

Most years I would get across to one or two Bundesliga matches, I have to say the stadiums by and large are fantastic the support equally as fantastic really fanatical but the quality is really not there outside of Munich from what I can see at least. If clubs like Hamburg and Dortmund could get the funding they would be serious clubs. And it would be great for German football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Important to note Chelsea's £318.9m earnings doesn't include income received from player sales, just matchday, commercial, and TV revenues.

Saw this on twitter, pretty impressive if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

redman85 wrote: »

What's also impressive is that this took place in a trophy-less year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Last, in a long line of posts, according to Wiki (not the most credible I know) Babayaro's full name is: Celestine Boyd Jonto Dave Kennington Jacquet Hycieth Babayaro. Can't remember ever seeing a full name comprising so many individual names.

Was always a big fan of Babayaro as a kid, looking him up on wiki there I didn't realise quite how long he was with us for too!

I was more of a Bogarde fan myself :D

/runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink announced as new Burton Albion manager!

Only 8 more days until we play again.

Bloody hate international breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

100% not gona happen but i wouldnt say no to either of them

rottie 11 wrote: »
    100% not gona happen but i wouldnt say no to either of them

Bale would cost mega, mega money and would force us to sell somebody.

Only way we get Bale in the summer is if we win every trophy and pool together the winnings.

Reus is at least 3 or 4 times less than Bale, 20-30million region, so hes affordable, in it wouldnt break any bank to sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

............costa
    hazard oscar/willian bale

not bad i suppose :)

redman85 wrote: »

Once again WAGNH comes up with an excellent article looking at the figures just announced. From that it seems that the sale of KdB, Mata and Bruma are included but there is some doubt over when the Luiz transfer will be accounted for. The transfer was announced in may or early June but international transfers cannot take place until after July 1st in which case his tranfer will be included in next years figures.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/11/13/7214597/chelsea-finances-future-ffp-fair-play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

Wouldnt be a huge loss TBH.

Hes probably our 6th choice winger behind Schurrle 4th and 5th Ramires.

Hes going to be like De Bruyne, will probably do well for another team but ultimately, not good enough for the elite level.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's a shame, I thought he looked like a big talent when he was with Basel. I suppose the standard of opposition allowed him to look much better than he is but I'd say a mix of culture shock and confidence have meant it's not really working for him at Chelsea. I agree with Gav, he'll do much better playing elsewhere and I'd add that it'll be better for the lad to leave while he's still young so he can get the most out of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

peteeeed wrote: »

I'd be happy enough to see him go, reminds me of a bad Nani, enough skill to beat a player but not enough skill or thought about what happens after that. With all the young talent coming through in that area I'd be delighted to see one of them take his spot in the squad.

It's a shame, I thought he looked like a big talent when he was with Basel. I suppose the standard of opposition allowed him to look much better than he is but I'd say a mix of culture shock and confidence have meant it's not really working for him at Chelsea. I agree with Gav, he'll do much better playing elsewhere and I'd add that it'll be better for the lad to leave while he's still young so he can get the most out of his career.
    I'd be happy enough to see him go, reminds me of a bad Nani, enough skill to beat a player but not enough skill or thought about what happens after that. With all the young talent coming through in that area I'd be delighted to see one of them take his spot in the squad.

Problem is he'll probably be loaned before hes sold, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Give his place in the squad to a youth like Brown or Boga

• Advertisement

Give his place in the squad to a youth like Brown or Boga

Its more likely to Brown or Baker than Boga, IMO.

Also, if we do sell Salah we can take back T.Hazard and not be cost a place in the foreginer slot for next year.

17 foreginers max
    4 HG players at the minimum, 8 is the maximum
    Unlimited amount of U21s regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Tinkerman has been sacked for Greece's loss to Faroe Islands

I seen that the other night and at home too.

Understandable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I seen that the other night and at home too.

Understandable really.

It was understandable but he was working with a broken team from a broken league who are broke to be fair. I'll always have love for Ranieri!

It was understandable but he was working with a broken team from a broken league who are broke to be fair. I'll always have love for Ranieri!

Chelsea manager love goes

1) Jose

2) Ancelotti

3) the rest :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

1) Jose

2) Ancelotti

You're too young to remember the dross Chelsea have had managing them in the past! Claudio got that all important Champions League place before Roman arrived on a total spend that season of zero pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

You're too young to remember the dross Chelsea have had managing them in the past! Claudio got that all important Champions League place before Roman arrived on a total spend that season of zero pounds.

We would have won the Champions League in 2003 if it wasn't for his tactics (i.e No one having a clue where they're playing ending with Hasslebaink at left back)

Oh I remember the 90's, vaguely but the tinkermans best achievement was getting us to the UCL and beating Liverpool.
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    We would have won the Champions League in 2003 if it wasn't for his tactics (i.e No one having a clue where they're playing ending with Hasslebaink at left back)

Very possibly, we'd have come up against Joses porto in the final though, whos to say how it would have ended up.

Danny Blanchflower, Ian Poterfield, ken Shellito, Bobby Gould (interim type) not to mention the interim one of course

1) Jose

2) Ancelotti

I'd have di Matteo in ahead of the rest purely because of what he delivered, who he is and the fact that he's just the shît in general.

I'd have di Matteo in ahead of the rest purely because of what he delivered, who he is and the fact that he's just shît in general.

Fixed :pac:

Although i will say the club did short change him after what he done for us.

Yeah he was out of his depth and I doubt anyone at chelsea taught that after AVB Robbie was going to be the one that delivered the big ears but it's something we can never take away from him now and to be honest I couldn't think of a better man to have given it to us.

Yeah he was out of his depth and I doubt anyone at chelsea taught that after AVB Robbie was going to be the one that delivered the big ears but it's something we can never take away from him now and to be honest I couldn't think of a better man to have given it to us.

Funny that of all the managers we have had, Its been Avram Grant (Granted Steve Clarke was really in charge) and RDM that got us to finals.

Di Matteo's biggest flaw, in my opinion was never giving Sturridge a chance in the middle, instead of trying to save Nando's career. Whether these were instructions from Roman, I don't know, But with Drogba leaving we should have signed a striker that summer. I think we thought that with bringing in Hazard and Oscar we thought Nando couldn't possibly **** up the chances they'd make for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I have big time for the Tinkerman. a Gent.

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I have big time for the Tinkerman. a Gent.

Always hopes he does well. Great guy with some crazy crazy ideas, In his head i'm sure they work out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement