Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Always hopes he does well. Great guy with some crazy crazy ideas, In his head i'm sure they work out!

It took some big balls to come in after RDM - especially after the history of liverpool and his statements whist in charge (about us, cant remember what they were).
    Also coming in knowing that you were a temporary manager.
    Anyway, I also liked him. I cannot explain why mind you, must be a spanish lazy likeable kinda thing..... don't know....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

cadaliac wrote: »
    It took some big balls to come in after RDM - especially after the history of liverpool and his statements whist in charge (about us, cant remember what they were).
    Also coming in knowing that you were a temporary manager.
    Anyway, I also liked him. I cannot explain why mind you, must be a spanish lazy likeable kinda thing..... don't know....:confused:

I was talking about Di Mateo. I despise Benitez to be honest and actually fell out of football when he was in charge. After he ****ed up the Club World Cup I was just waiting until the summer until he was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I was talking about Di Mateo. I despise Benitez to be honest and actually fell out of football when he was in charge. After he ****ed up the Club World Cup I was just waiting until the summer until he was gone.

I liked him, he got decent results in a time of transition.
    I have to lay off the cans of Guinness. :P

Di Mateo was always on a slippery slope with the Chelsea board.
    He was never going to b the man in charge.

He won the dressing room , as a player, but more importantly,won the big ears. He created a void when he was shafted out the door. That void was filled with Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I didn't like Benitez either, but he was in a no win situation. Thought it was a decent achievement winning the Europa League and was hardly his fault Chelsea didn't qualify for later stages of Champions League. Did himself no favours sidelining Terry but most other things were historical, like managing a team a lot of Chelsea fans aren't overly fond of, and saying disparaging things about said fans when he was their manager.

A ridiculous appointment by the board at the time because of the poisonous air around the place it caused. Benitez actually came out of it with more credit than the club. Still glad they sacked him though. Football is still more about heart than head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Benitez done ok.

Not great, he done what was wanted of him got us UCL football and won a trophy.

He should have had at least 1 more in the club world championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Glad he wasn't kept on but in the circumstances he did what was needed at the time.
    I was at his final match at the bridge and after the final whistle he just headed down the tunnel and let the players do the parade on there own, I remember thinking it was sad for a man who probably saved us from financial ruin with his interim role and the general concencis from those around me in the shed upper was that he would have had a reasonable send off. Don't know about the Mathew Harding tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Glad he wasn't kept on but in the circumstances he did what was needed at the time.
    I was at his final match at the bridge and after the final whistle he just headed down the tunnel and let the players do the parade on there own, I remember thinking it was sad for a man who probably saved us from financial ruin with his interim role and the general concencis from those around me in the shed upper was that he would have had a reasonable send off. Don't know about the Mathew Harding tho!

I think by the end of it, the vast majority would have. It worked out for all parties really, we had a decent manager to guide us through transition and he got his career back on track by coming away with a trophy.

He was in a tough role in fairness, But he shouldn't have took the job after the comments he made about our support. He knew what he'd be getting himself into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I have big time for the Tinkerman. a Gent.
    Ranieri brought Chelsea up to a sustained competitive level in the Premiership and Europe. We've obviously taken it a step further since. But Claudio's part in Chelsea's rise cannot be ignored.

• Advertisement

Will the West Brom game ever just hurry up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A lot of papers talking about Koke, thoughts?

duploelabs wrote: »
    A lot of papers talking about Koke, thoughts?

I dont think we need him TBH. Hes a fantastic player and would provide even more options but with Cesc and Oscar playing pretty much on top of their games right now its hard to find a place for him coz hes not going take Matics place.

We dont have much weakness at the moment weve got good options all round, even our bench so id wait u til the summer before evaluating the squad and who goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

. Certainly we were fortunate that Roman opted to buy Chelsea rather than any other team it has been a hell of a ride.

Much whispers through the years of other teams he was supposedly interested in? Was England always his first choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Much whispers through the years of other teams he was supposedly interested in? Was England always his first choice?

He always wanted to be A football club... which one... was always up for debate. Allegedly he saw Stamford Bridge from his helicopter, liked the look of it... and the rest is history.

• Advertisement

If only he could bloody finish.

" Eden Hazard completed 22 take ons v Wales which is a new European Qualifier Record surpassing Cristiano Ronaldo's 19 v Cyprus in 2011. "

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If only he could bloody finish.

" Eden Hazard completed 22 take ons v Wales which is a new European Qualifier Record surpassing Cristiano Ronaldo's 19 v Cyprus in 2011. "

Mourinho will turn him into a killer. I find it strange that a player with his technique that has scored goals like his one at OT in the FA Cup and against Stoke Away, but every time he's hitting a shot on goal its either scuffed or the barely has to move to save it.

Mourinho will turn him into a killer. I find it strange that a player with his technique that has scored goals like his one at OT in the FA Cup and against Stoke Away, but every time he's hitting a shot on goal its either scuffed or the barely has to move to save it.

His goal against Liverpool last year at the Bridge was excellent too.

He does need to seriously improve it though if he wants to get 10-15 league goals a year and can kick on to more if he puts it in.

His goal against Liverpool last year at the Bridge was excellent too.

He does need to seriously improve it though if he wants to get 10-15 league goals a year and can kick on to more if he puts it in.

He'll get around 10-15 anyway from penalties and goals here and there.

For me, once Hazard starts making dangerous attacking runs without the ball and improves his finishing he'll be getting close to 30 in all competitions imo.

• Advertisement

He'll get around 10-15 anyway from penalties and goals here and there.

For me, once Hazard starts making dangerous attacking runs without the ball and improves his finishing he'll be getting close to 30 in all competitions imo.

He has everything else really, apart from heading but we'll leave that off :pac:

It maybe slightly hyperbolic, but he can be one of the best if he improves his open play finishing and decision making as well, sometimes he shoots when a pass for a tap in is on or vice versa.

Hes still young so it may all come in time, hopefully.

He has everything else really, apart from heading but we'll leave that off :pac:

It maybe slightly hyperbolic, but he can be one of the best if he improves his open play finishing and decision making as well, sometimes he shoots when a pass for a tap in is on or vice versa.

Hes still young so it may all come in time, hopefully.

Yeah, but once he's mastered finishing he'll be up there with Messi and Ronaldo in my opinion.

I do have a really Reus will come though, and if we have Hazard creating and him finishing them off we'll be near unstoppable.

Can see Reus coming for a few reasons:

Giving Schurrle as bait as Dortmund actually want him, He's German and a like for like replacement with cash

Hopefully he won't go to Bayern and it doesn't appear that he will as he seems to have ended his friendship with Lewandowski because of it.

Barca and Real don't really need him

I'd imagine City couldn't sign him due to FFP? Can't see him going to United, Liverpool or Arsenal either.

I think Schurrle can easily turn it around, hes still only a young guy but right now Reus is a better all round player than him.

Reus would have his pick of clubs anyway so it could be shoot out between the big EPL clubs, Barca, Real, PSG, I cant see him going to Bayern, doesnt look like he wants to anyway, so we may have some pull but these swap a player for a player deal rarely ever happen so I wont read too much into it for now.

Ok, here's one.
    If the situation arises that JT retires this summer. Who will be our captain?
    Not only do they have to be good enough to be not dropped or out injured for a period of time, they also have to be a leader.
    Three candidates arise with this Courtois, Dave, and Matic.

Courtois is too young and inexperienced in the league, Dave I don't think has the vocal ability to be a leader, so it leaves Matic.

Thoughts?

Interesting piece on Jose, Spanish Fa, the doctors invovled and Costa/Cesc.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfpw3

Even if it is from Bleachers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Ok, here's one.
    Not only do they have to be good enough to be not dropped or out injured for a period of time, they also have to be a leader.

Courtois is too young and inexperienced in the league, Dave I don't think has the vocal ability to be a leader, so it leaves Matic.

Thoughts?

Cahil?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Cahil?

Too inconsistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Too inconsistent

Think he is going threw a bad patch, he was excellent last season imo.

Costa lol?

Ok, here's one.

Thoughts?

I dont htink he will retire but if he was, I'd say you're looking at a few candidates, depending on how the team lines up next year with transfers and the like.

Cahill - Could be our next JT, although I dont think hes good enough and can be upgraded if Jose wants to.

Matic - The very likely choice IMO, will be in the team for the next few years and looks and acts like a leader.

Ivanovic - Simialr to Cahill, can be replaced so not a banker to be starting next season but a good choice regardless.

Theyre my 3 shouts anyway

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,751 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Cesc?

• Advertisement

Matic all day for me, he just looks and plays like a captain, head and shoulders above all the other candidates. Cahill has enough difficulty with defending let alone giving him more responsibility.

Cesc?

Decent shout TBH but I cant see it happening anytime soon, think given the seniority of other players, hes a bit down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Cesc?

Was there not a comment from Jose some time ago that cesc could be a future captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Captain Cesc for the shyts n giggles

If JT continues playing how he is he'll get another deal in the summer.

Hes 34 in a few weeks but he shows no signs of regressing and being a hinderance to the team, like, we'll say another ex-England captain or captains for that matter.

Of course, he may want out himself in the summer and go somewhere else for a year or two but I can see the club keeping him on for another year at the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It'd be Ivanovic first, who Mou calls his second captain. Down the line it'll be Fabregas, it was how he was convinced to join, he was asked to be the leader of a new generation of players at Chelsea.

Give it to Costa, hes my wildcard.

Theres a story and its probably only that, doing the rounds that when Costa got to meet the full squad he wanted to meet with Cahill, JT, Ivan, looked them up and down and told them " I go into battle, you come with me? "

Even if its not true, it makes for a good urban myth :pac:

Although I can imagine any message liek the above was translated as he has feck all english :o

Was taking a trip back in time earlier http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3036838.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Cech linked to Arsenal. A transfer that would make sense for both parties.

Arsenal getting a top goalkeeper on the cheap.

Cech able to play regularly with a big club, and doesnt need to move himself or his family out of London

• Advertisement

Cech linked to Arsenal. A transfer that would make sense for both parties.

Arsenal getting a top goalkeeper on the cheap.

Cech able to play regularly with a big club, and doesnt need to move himself or his family out of London

Highly unlikely, not in January anyway.

Arsenal have Szycezny, hes a decent keeper, cech is better but theyre not exactly doing bad for themselves.

If it does happen i wouldnt begrudge him a move, excellent servant for the club but hes just being replaced with a better, younger model. :o

Was taking a trip back in time earlier http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3036838.stm

Love to know which fan in that article thought Bates was Mr Chelsea! A Mrs Bates maybe?

On the point of captaincy, I doubt Cahill would get it. In fact I think that Mou will replace him at the first real opportunity. Might not be for another season or two but if someone of the ilk of Varane or Hummels (just an example) suddenly became available, I don't think Mourinho would be too reluctant to say "unlucky pal" and either sell or demote to the bench. I don't think anybody would come in for him, which is alright because a certain amount of the English boys need to be retained for that quota.
    Ivanovic will be 31 by this season's end, i'd be surprised if Mourinho opts for a captain for only 2 years (he won't be in the team past that, if even up until it) so I think Captain Cesc sounds good just to leave a sour taste in the mouths of the Gunners although i'd place Matic, Dave and even Costa (who's indiscipline makes him a poor choice) ahead of Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

On the point of captaincy, I doubt Cahill would get it. In fact I think that Mou will replace him at the first real opportunity. Might not be for another season or two but if someone of the ilk of Varane or Hummels (just an example) suddenly became available, I don't think Mourinho would be too reluctant to say "unlucky pal" and either sell or demote to the bench. I don't think anybody would come in for him, which is alright because a certain amount of the English boys need to be retained for that quota.
    Ivanovic will be 31 by this season's end, i'd be surprised if Mourinho opts for a captain for only 2 years (he won't be in the team past that, if even up until it) so I think Captain Cesc sounds good just to leave a sour taste in the mouths of the Gunners although i'd place Matic, Dave and even Costa (who's indiscipline makes him a poor choice) ahead of Fabregas.

Is there anything to be said for Hazard? Best player on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread, I have been reading through a few of the comments regarding Cahill, am I the only one who thinks he's been one of our better players over the past couple of seasons? He's showing a dip in form but he has been immense for the most part since joing Chelsea, wouldn't be happy to see him sold tbh.

Is there anything to be said for Hazard? Best player on the team.

I think hes too quiet on the pitch, cant imagine him giving anyone a bo**ocking if we slip up somewhere or the tide is turning against us.
    Caveman1 wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread, I have been reading through a few of the comments regarding Cahill, am I the only one who thinks he's been one of our better players over the past couple of seasons? He's showing a dip in form but he has been immense for the most part since joing Chelsea, wouldn't be happy to see him sold tbh.

I think he was a good stop gap but if a better option can be found I'd drop him. I think he looks better than what he is by playing next to JT.

Anyway, with the HG rule in force I cant see him being sold anytime soon either, hes part of the quota.

• Advertisement

Caveman1 wrote: »

Funny how different peoples opinions vary so much at times. Maybe you're right. I don't think he has had a dip though tbh, I think its his level. He gives a 100% every game so can't knock his work ethic. I personally think Terry, and the rest of the defence, make up for his short comings, without them, like when he's on England duty, he looks ordinary. (though probably still the most solid defender they have available)

I'm not in a mad hurry to see him shipped out, as I said before he always looks likes he gives his all and that means a lot, and, as Gav says, being English means moving him on is probably not in the pipeline anyway.

Funny how different peoples opinions vary so much at times. Maybe you're right. I don't think he has had a dip though tbh, I think its his level. He gives a 100% every game so can't knock his work ethic. I personally think Terry, and the rest of the defence, make up for his short comings, without them, like when he's on England duty, he looks ordinary. (though probably still the most solid defender they have available)

I'm not in a mad hurry to see him shipped out, as I said before he always looks likes he gives his all and that means a lot, and, as Gav says, being English means moving him on is probably not in the pipeline anyway.

Hes improved since he joined, no doubt about it but I think hes not going to improve much more, if at all.

He seems like a good professional, very committed to the cause and plays for the shirt but I think in Zouma we've a much better prospect who will eventually eclipse Cahill.

Thats before we mention Christensen and Kalas who are good prospects too, I mean Kalas could play EPL for some other clubs, I think hes that good.

Thats before we mention Christensen and Kalas who are good prospects too, I mean Kalas could play EPL for some other clubs, I think hes that good.

Based on his one good game against other premiership opposition?

Based on his one good game against other premiership opposition?

He was good in that game but I've seen him play U17 tournaments and he looked a cut above, Jose must have seen something in him that he kept around last year.

we've got decent to good CBs on loan, Omerou, Kalas.

We've also got Zouma and Christensen at the club, we're pretty well stocked for CBs right now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement