Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

duploelabs wrote: »
    the gooner butthurt from this is classic

Top is huge in the UCL but this year with PSG and Barca playing for 1st/2nd somebody who finishes top isnt going to get an easy game from whoever comes 2nd in that group.

What about Leo Messi, 74 UCL goals and none of them against us :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Top is huge in the UCL but this year with PSG and Barca playing for 1st/2nd somebody who finishes top isnt going to get an easy game from whoever comes 2nd in that group.

What about Leo Messi, 74 UCL goals and none of them against us :pac:

I'd be confident against either. PSG haven't really strengthened since last season where-as we we have clearly developed as a team.

Barca have an immense forward line but their defense is still shaky.

Obviously I'd like to avoid both if possible but we're gonna have to play good teams eventually anyways and it might be beneficial for the team to get some games against some tough opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd be confident against either. PSG haven't really strengthened since last season where-as we we have clearly developed as a team.

Barca have an immense forward line but their defense is still shaky.

Obviously I'd like to avoid both if possible but we're gonna have to play good teams eventually anyways and it might be beneficial for the team to get some games against some tough opponents.

To be honest, I'd be confident against anyone right now. We have the ability to keep a clean sheet away from home against Real Madrid and Bayern at the minute, and can take anyone at the Bridge.

While our star attractions had great games last night (Fabregas, Hazard, Costa, Oscar) and Willians best game in a blue shirt for me, It was the peformance of Matic that yet again stood out for me. Broke up EVERYTHING that went in his direction, and drove forward and picked a great pass or a simple pass that needed to be made.

Gave one of the most all round midfield displays i haven't seen in a blue shirt since Essien in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Basically the second half's of the Baggies and Schalke game's were to all intents full contact training matches, whilst it was boring at times it is as Gav says a totally controlled performance. In neither game did either side have a good chance when apparently chasing the game - good to see them have the good sense to conserve energy with a fairly full programme ahead.

Still on we go, Sunderland Saturday should be a tough enough game but we have a bone to pick here.

Very true, although i'd say they're hoping to that against Newcastle moreso after the way they bossed the game at St James' (or sports direct :pac:) and got undone, finished off by Remy of course. Then before that there's the customary trouncing of Spurs.

Enjoy the run and performances while ye can, it won't last forever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

weiland79 wrote: »
    So how do ye fancy our chances in the Champions league this year? Obviously It's so far so good in the PL but do we have what it takes to push on and win the CL.
    Do we have the experience to do it?
    Would love to see JT play and win in a final.
    I'd count on us to get to the semis. After that it's anybody's guess, but we're as likely as anyone else.

There's experience in the squad. And by May Jose will have had two years to get things up to scratch the way he wants.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we do the EPL/UCL double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Enjoy the run and performances while ye can, it won't last forever!

This is Jose Mourinho's Chelsea. Snap yourself out of denial and just get used to it.

You have no other choice!

TimRiggins wrote: »
    This is Jose Mourinho's Chelsea. Snap yourself out of denial and just get used to it.

You have no other choice!

Newcastle will beat us. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

When we signed him (Fabregas) I thought that's the missing piece of the jigsaw, possibly the one thing we've not had at the club in Abramovich's time, a maestro in the centre of midfield who can control a game with their passing. The thing is these players are so rare, off the top of my head I can think of less than a dozen of these players who have the ability to play for a top club. Fabregas is one of the very best. I always envisaged him being the perfect replacement for Scholes at Man Utd, then, when he went to Barcelona, as eventually taking up a regular place in the midfield 3, and after that being the perfect replacement for, well, himself at Arsenal. He's ended up here and I couldn't be happier, against West Brom and against Schalke, he produced two performers the likes of which are rarely seen on English (or German) shores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well I don't have Spanish tinted glasses like some so I was dubious, but I've been proved completely wrong.

Well I don't have Spanish tinted glasses like some so I was dubious, but I've been proved completely wrong.

I think there was much more doubt about Costa. I mean Cesc was one of, if not the best CM in the EPL when he left, it only stands to reason that he'd continue that trend when he came back.

Whats more remarkable is that hes doing it from a deeper position than hes probably used to, although when a player is that intellegent, adapting to a role which sees him dictating much of our play, it must be a joy.

he can go over the top for the pace in behind, thread balls down the side, give one twos, keep it short and simple, nearly every pass is on for Cesc in our system, even if he loses it, hes always got the hugely impressive Matic waiting to get it back, theyre a very impressive duo.

I think there was much more doubt about Costa. I mean Cesc was one of, if not the best CM in the EPL when he left, it only stands to reason that he'd continue that trend when he came back.

Whats more remarkable is that hes doing it from a deeper position than hes probably used to, although when a player is that intellegent, adapting to a role which sees him dictating much of our play, it must be a joy.

he can go over the top for the pace in behind, thread balls down the side, give one twos, keep it short and simple, nearly every pass is on for Cesc in our system, even if he loses it, hes always got the hugely impressive Matic waiting to get it back, theyre a very impressive duo.

I think he played his best football at Arsenal as a CM. I think part of the problem at Barca was they were constantly playing him out of position either as a false 9 or on the wing. He should have been Xavi's natural replacement but they missed that boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Seems the Kalas to QPR rumours gathering traction, much as it galls me it would be a good move for him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-line-up-january-move-for-chelsea-defender-tomas-kalas-9887289.html

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think he played his best football at Arsenal as a CM. I think part of the problem at Barca was they were constantly playing him out of position either as a false 9 or on the wing. He should have been Xavi's natural replacement but they missed that boat.

At the moment hes playing a more refined role for us than in his career but his passing and set piece delivery has seen him notch up 10 assists and a goal in 12 league games, thats pretty sensational.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,751 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Seems the Kalas to QPR rumours gathering traction, much as it galls me it would be a good move for him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/qpr-line-up-january-move-for-chelsea-defender-tomas-kalas-9887289.html

I can't see QPR being around as a club two/three seasons from now, tbh. They're in so much financial siht and the Football League have already said they'll relegate them to the conference if they don't stump up something like £60m.

I won't miss them either.

I can't see QPR being around as a club two/three seasons from now, tbh. They're in so much financial siht and the Football League have already said they'll relegate them to the conference if they don't stump up something like £60m.

I won't miss them either.

Anything that sees Redknapp out of a job is good enough for me. :)

Only unbeaten team left in Europe.
    Fabregas being played deeper will stand him in good stead as the season goes on, his form traditionally dips in the latter parts of a season as he generally picks up an injury or two.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Only unbeaten team left in Europe.
    Fabregas being played deeper will stand him in good stead as the season goes on, his form traditionally dips in the latter parts of a season as he generally picks up an injury or two.

PSG are still unbeaten at home and in Europe

A good little read about numbers from past seasons.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/27/chelsea-premier-league-records-jose-mourinho
    Chelsea hold the record for most points gained in a top-flight season: 95 in 2004-05. Project the 32 points they have won in 12 games over the course of 38 games and you get 101.

Then there is the matter of the margin of victory. The record stands at 18, when Manchester United won the league with 91 points, the extraordinary thing about that season is that after 12 games United were only fourth in the table, with 24 points – that is, eight fewer than Chelsea have now.

Even in 2004-05, Chelsea did not start as well as this. Then, after 12 games they had 29 points.

Manchester United moved fourth with Saturday’s victory at Arsenal but their tally of 19 points is lower than any other team in fourth place after 12 games since the switch to three points for a win in 1981.

The only side to have taken more points from their first 12 games are Manchester City in 2011-12, who were on 34 points after 12 matches

The defence has been a minor issue this season – just four clean sheets in 12 games, as opposed to 18 in 38 last season, although it is worth pointing out that 14 of those came in the final 22 games of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

PSG are still unbeaten at home and in Europe

Real madrid are unbeaten also in europe

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Real madrid are unbeaten also in europe

I meant psg are unbeaten in the league and europe.

Think real lost in the league

I meant psg are unbeaten in the league and europe.

Think real lost in the league

Real lost a few afaik.

Edit: Twice, Although they've won 6 in a row in La Liga.

Ourselves, Bayern and Real Madrid are definitely the teams to be beat this season. Real would be the only team that would worry me personally.

So we're the best team in Europe so?

Hand us the UCL as well while yere at it :pac:

Fancy a late night chuckle, get your head around this :
    £200million, Messi to Chelsea.

Arsenal and Manchester United have been linked with a deal, but the Daily Express reports that the Argentine will accept a move to Chelsea instead.

The paper says Messi wants to link up with close friend Cesc Fabregas at Stamford Bridge, and that looks like being key to a deal.

LOLtastic :pac:

So we're the best team in Europe so?

Hand us the UCL as well while yere at it :pac:

Pretty much :D

If this was any other manager you'd be worried that this could be a false dawn and that we'd hit a rough patch eventually which may derail the team completely.

Just shows what a bit of continuity with the right manager can get you, first time since Carlo that we've had a manager in charge for 2 consecutive seasons? Aside from RDM who didn't have a full season when he took over.

It's evident that the board love having Jose back, makes their jobs so much easier.

Jose mark II is a lot less spikey than the original, hes come back a slightly tamer beast.

In his 2nd year of managing teams he usually at the very least wins a title, with Porto, it was a UCL/League double, Inter was the famous treble.

So what does the next few months hold for us? Hopefully a league title and I'd be delighted, anything extra is bonus

You'd worry for the intelligence of the journalists who come up with rumours, but any sort of Messi article is just taking the biscuit.
    Worse still is the editors who allow those stories to even be published.

Funny thing is, there's so many people in this day and age that still believe that newspaper gossip stories have truth in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Fancy a late night chuckle, get your head around this :

LOLtastic :pac:

I actually think there might be something to this story.

Was it not confirmed that we bid for Messi last summer?

Plus, Adidas would contribute towards a fee, and potentially Turkish Airlines too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

There's certainly been attempts to bring Messi away from Barcelona by other top clubs in recent windows, depending on what you believe Chelsea were apparently one of those clubs. Messi's relationship with the current board hasn't been as harmonious as you'd wish and he, reportedly, feels persecuted by the Spanish government who are set to bring him to court. Though Messi playing for a club other than Barcelona could only be believed when it is seen.

If the fantasy scenario were to come through, £100 million, £200 million, £500 million, it doesn't matter, Messi is worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the messi situation is interesting because many in spain feel he is a victim of the catalan independence movement as players and other sports stars in madrid are not being pursued

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/messi-may-leave-spain-over-tax-jail-threat-1.2011033

If and its a huge IF, Messi ever wants out we're part of only an elite few that could be in the running, now, I dont think for one minute he'll leave Barca, I just cant see it.

It was mentioned that as an Adidas sponsored club we'd have an advantage, well next year Utd are going to Addias arent they? Theyed be in for him under that assumption, then you've got probably the biggest Adidas club, apart from Real Madrdi, because that will enver happen and that club is Bayern Munich.

In terms of Adidas sponsorship and brand I'd say it goes, Real, Bayern, Utd, Chelsea.

Messi is the greatest player of any generation but a transfer would be the biggest of all time in transfer fee and wages, we'd be better off spending the 200million and about 300k-400k a week on a set of players rather than the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well if Messi is brassed off with the Spanish authorities and has to leave as per the link peteeeed supplied then it will not be Madrid. Could Bayern afford him after all of their pontificating on FFP? The lure of Pep might be great and Adidas are German at the end of the day.

He is a fantastic player but I hope not Chelsea bound I really do think he would upset the dynamic of the team. He would propel us at one shot though into the very highest level of worldwide clubs on a par with United, Madrid and Barca and that could be very appealing to the marketing guys.

He'd probably keep 100% of his image rights, a huge incentive for players.

Anyway, if its Football Manager you break the bank for him, because its the real world theres no way I can see this happening, if you're living in dream land, a player like Messi or Ronaldo makes one of the top teams around into a position where in 95% of games, no matter who the opponent, theyre the best team.

As Eden has 10 theres no way Messi is joining. :D

But for next eyar we could look like this

Courtois
    Azp Cahill JT Pogba
    Matic Cesc
    Oscar Messi Hazard
    Costa

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

But for next eyar we could look like this

Courtois
    Azp Cahill JT Pogba
    Matic Cesc
    Oscar Messi Hazard
    Costa

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

Distinct lack of Varane!

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote: »
    Distinct lack of Varane!

Courtois
    Azp Varane JT Pogba
    Matic Cesc
    Oscar Messi Hazard
    Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Courtois
    Azp Varane JT Pogba
    Matic Cesc
    Oscar Messi Hazard
    Costa

That's better!

There's certainly been attempts to bring Messi away from Barcelona by other top clubs in recent windows, depending on what you believe Chelsea were apparently one of those clubs. Messi's relationship with the current board hasn't been as harmonious as you'd wish and he, reportedly, feels persecuted by the Spanish government who are set to bring him to court. Though Messi playing for a club other than Barcelona could only be believed when it is seen.

If the fantasy scenario were to come through, £100 million, £200 million, £500 million, it doesn't matter, Messi is worth every penny.
    I think Barca want to cash in on Messi. They've got the best out of him, and tiki taka has played itself out.

I wouldn't be happy to see us playing Barca's little game. Messi is coming off his peak, and it will be diminishing returns from hereon in, with a risk of regular injury layoffs. I'm not convinced Messi would adapt well to the premiership and to winter fixtures.

It might suit marketing, but to me it reeks of a second-hand galacticos approach. IMO Chelsea are better off investing players coming to their peak.

Messi is still only 27 and the greatest player of all time, his intelligence and ability to setup attacks could see him become a Zola like figure, Messi has decent pace but its not his greatest assist.

I reckon Messi could still be producing a large amount of goals into his 30's

But would that function be worth the massive outlay?

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    But would that function be worth the massive outlay?

No, not for me. I'd rather we got in 4 or 5 world class players but on the one hadn its impossible to get 5 world class splayers into the squad and also keep others happy.

Anyway this Messi talk is complete bo**ocks, he'll probably sign a new Barca contract just before CR7 wins another Balon D'or.

Barca and Real are both pretty pathetic when it comes to things like that, like Reals letter to UEFA over Platinis call for a German player to win it, the letter was cringy as f**k.

we all know CR7 will win it anyway, no matter what Platini wants so Real crying to the media over it is funny.

Can pogba play lb? Full sure he was cm?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Can pogba play lb? Full sure he was cm?

Was a bit of an in house joke about Pogba signing all last summer :pac:

so hes been shoe horned into LB in my dream team formation :D

Oh rite :D was wondering ha

How would Adidas or Turkish airlines contribute a fee, from a legal point of view?

Also i wouldn't buy into the whole 'his relationship is strained' with Barca, the only sources for that are ****ty newspapers and the even less respectable word of mouth from Guillem Balague. The accuracy of his predictions are laughable.

In terms of joining Bayern, Pep obviously would be a factor but joining Bayern in a no-contest league would just be pitiful and diminish his reputation.

As regards joining Chelsea, he'd be 28 by the start of next season, the kind of fee and wages being mooted are so risky that it could affect the club for a few years if something was to go wrong. It was mentioned above that 200m would be better spent on 4 or 5 players. If Chelsea continue to improve as they are doing now, I don't see much of a need for them to make transfers for 3-4 years other than a CB and fullback for each flank, due to the young age of most of the players there at present. Signing him would give a boost in the long term toward marketing and revenue streams.

For some reason I could see him playing for Man City, i don't know why.

Along with the majority, i don't see him ever leaving Barca but if the newspapers managed to get something right for once, then him joining the PL (and performing) would end any shroud of doubt that he is the greatest ... ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You mean....that Pogba talk all summer....was all one big in house joke?!...holy moley!

Panthro wrote: »
    You mean....that Pogba talk all summer....was all one big in house joke?!...holy moley!

Well.....it'll start again on January 1st and end when the window is closed and start again in the summer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Is costa fit for today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Is costa fit for today

Saw on SB nation this morning that he's fit to play. what time is kick off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Half five baby! Owww yeah! ( I may be still under the influence)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement