Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

McDave wrote: »
    Basel or Bayer, not least because of the travel aspect.

Leverkusen if i had to pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    After basel beating pool theyll fancy their chances against another english side

Sure didnt they beat us twice last season

be nice get some revenge.

But honestly liverpool are playing bad atm, not surprized basel beat them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I reckon psg are ahead of Juve in nearly all departments.

Whoever gets them have a huge challenge.

I don't know about that. Better in all departments? No way, Juve's midfield is one of the best in the world and Tevez and Llorente are lethal upfront.

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Sure didnt they beat us twice last season

be nice get some revenge.

But honestly liverpool are playing bad atm, not surprized basel beat them tbh

We're a lot better than last year. Id be confident of winning over 2 legs anyway.

20 odd mins to the draw.

I forgot that Shakthar are playing all there game in Lviv these days due to Donetsk being pretty close to the problems in the region.

Theres about a 1000km difference and Lviv is closer but still, I'd rather avoid a trip to Eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

PSG v chelsea
    City v barca
    Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid
    Juventus v Borussia Dortmund
    Schalke v Real Madrid
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayern Munich
    Arsenal v Monaco
    Basel v Porto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peteeeed wrote: »
    PSG v chelsea
    City v barca
    Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid

Fook

Well thats a load of bo**ocks anyway.

Toughest draw by a considerable distance.

Edit : Toughest draw for any team that won their group that is.

PSG v chelsea - toughest draw for a winner.
    City v barca - will be a good game
    Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Atletico easily
    Juventus v Borussia Dortmund - Dortmund I'd reckon.
    Schalke v Real Madrid - Cake walk for Real.
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayern Munich - Munich will steam roll um.
    Arsenal v Monaco - Arsenal should win handy over 2 legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I think we are favourites go through... but im worried about our weekend games, wanted Basel or Leverkusen so that maybe we wouldnt have to focus all of our energy on the Champions League.. and lets be honest, PSG will be taking up a good chunk of the team's focus around the time of these games.

• Advertisement

PSG v chelsea - toughest draw for a winner.
    City v barca - will be a good game
    Bayer Leverkusen v Atletico Madrid - Atletico easily
    Juventus v Borussia Dortmund - Dortmund I'd reckon.
    Schalke v Real Madrid - Cake walk for Real.
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Bayern Munich - Munich will steam roll um.
    Arsenal v Monaco - Arsenal should win handy over 2 legs.

basel v porto ? :)

What are the dates for the 2 games? Really want to see our games around that time

I think we are favourites go through... but im worried about our weekend games, wanted Basel or Leverkusen so that maybe we wouldnt have to focus all of our energy on the Champions League.. and lets be honest, PSG will be taking up a good chunk of the team's focus around the time of these games.

Seeded group winners will be away in the round of 16 first legs on 17/18 and 24/25 February and at home in the return matches on 10/11 and 17/18 March.

So looking at that it will be either

1st leg :
    Chelsea v Everton 11th Feb
    PSG v Chelsea 17/18

OR

Chelsea v Burnely 21st Feb
    PSG v Chelsea 24/25 Feb

2nd Leg:

West Ham v Chelsea 3rd March
    Chelsea v PSG 10/11 March

OR

Chelsea v Southampton 14th March
    Chelsea v PSG 17/18 March

basel v porto ? :)

f**k them :pac:

But Porto...
    What are the dates for the 2 games? Really want to see our games around that time

Will be drawn today as well at some stage.

I've posted the possible games before and after each set of games anyway

Seeded group winners will be away in the round of 16 first legs on 17/18 and 24/25 February and at home in the return matches on 10/11 and 17/18 March.

So looking at that it will be either

1st leg :
    Chelsea v Everton 11th Feb
    PSG v Chelsea 17/18

OR

Chelsea v Burnely 21st Feb
    PSG v Chelsea 24/25 Feb

2nd Leg:

West Ham v Chelsea 3rd March
    Chelsea v PSG 10/11 March

OR

Chelsea v Southampton 14th March
    Chelsea v PSG 17/18 March

Throw a possible League Cup final on March 1st into the mix too. Them fixtures are okay though :)

Ya, we're a lot better this time around and also they rode a lot of luck in PAris to escape with the result at 3-1.

Its the toughest draw for a group winner but the alternative was to come 2nd and face Real, like Schalke have to.

TBH, we have to play big teams if you want to go far and possibily win it so might as well start with a team that I'd consider would have a chance, a slight chance but a chance none the less.

City have got a very tough draw in playing probably the 3rd favourites for it after Real and Bayern.

Arsenal have a very easy game, IMO. Monaco are ok they got a handy group and topped it but Arsenal have a great chance of having a good run this year with that draw.

Throw a possible League Cup final on March 1st into the mix too. Them fixtures are okay though :)

Ya, the league fixtures are managable, no away games to a big team and no home game to a rival means we should be able to manage the squad.

Get passed Derby and we'll see, I hate the two legged Semi Final in the league cup, I'd prefer to go out tomorrow night than play 2 extra games and lose in the Semi.

Also Derby are flying high in the championship on a normal day we'd beat them but they'll be well up for this and so will the crowd so we'll need a good performance.

Guessing the team,

Cech
    Azp Zouma JT Luis
    Matic Mikel
    Ramires Oscar Schurrle
    Drogba

Maybe JT will come out, he looked to damage his wrist at the weekend.

Ya, we're a lot better this time around and also they rode a lot of luck in PAris to escape with the result at 3-1.

Its the toughest draw for a group winner but the alternative was to come 2nd and face Real, like Schalke have to.

TBH, we have to play big teams if you want to go far and possibily win it so might as well start with a team that I'd consider would have a chance, a slight chance but a chance none the less.

City have got a very tough draw in playing probably the 3rd favourites for it after Real and Bayern.

Arsenal have a very easy game, IMO. Monaco are ok they got a handy group and topped it but Arsenal have a great chance of having a good run this year with that draw.

Hopefully we'l get through and play either Arsenal or the winners of Basel/Porto....

Id give us a 60-65% chance of going through against PSG to be honest, provided our big dogs are fit and available ie Terry, Fabregas, Matic, Hazard, Costa.

so welcome back david luiz

• Advertisement

a stat confidence booster is in order

B45JUepCEAAoRtZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Well to be fair at least it'll make for a couple of better games to watch than Shaktar or something... I can definitely see it being feisty enough and surely a Luiz goal in the script already; I reckon so long as we take a score draw or better in Paris we'll be fine. I think we've enough to keep them quiet at the Bridge so just a case of making sure we score enough hopefully. Roll on Feb!!

so welcome back david luiz

Oh balls, he'll have a stormer so :eek:

He'll get a great welcome back at the Bridge too.
    a stat confidence booster is in order

B45JUepCEAAoRtZ.jpg

They had Barca in their group though and narrowly finished 2nd.

Well to be fair at least it'll make for a couple of better games to watch than Shaktar or something... I can definitely see it being feisty enough and surely a Luiz goal in the script already; I reckon so long as we take a score draw or better in Paris we'll be fine. I think we've enough to keep them quiet at the Bridge so just a case of making sure we score enough hopefully. Roll on Feb!!

PSG fell part at the Bridge the last time, I know Ba scored a winner with minutes left but we dominated that game and Cavani wasted about 3 chances that night. rest of their play wasnt great.

Hate doing a combined XI but theres only 1 player I'd have from them and its Silva, maybe Moura for Willian.

PSG fell part at the Bridge the last time, I know Ba scored a winner with minutes left but we dominated that game and Cavani wasted about 3 chances that night. rest of their play wasnt great.

Hate doing a combined XI but theres only 1 player I'd have from them and its Silva, maybe Moura for Willian.

Yeah that's a very good point, Zlatan would get a look in too (if we're ignoring cost/age etc.)... The good thing for us is their attacking threats should be manageable, Zlatan has no pace to scare Terry, Ivan will go back to being sensible for the 2 games and Azpi has enough about him for Moura I think. So long as we turn up and look to control the game from the off I think we'll be good.

Yeah that's a very good point, Zlatan would get a look in too (if we're ignoring cost/age etc.)... The good thing for us is their attacking threats should be manageable, Zlatan has no pace to scare Terry, Ivan will go back to being sensible for the 2 games and Azpi has enough about him for Moura I think. So long as we turn up and look to control the game from the off I think we'll be good.

Zlatan would Cost avery close to starting and would certainly be 2nd choice at least.

If verything is equal, we should win this fixture the majority of the time but football isnt that easy.

I also cant see us leading the table right through until May, its just not really heard of a team leading from September to May theres always changes and I expect it over the coming weeks, maybe even before year end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Toughest draw possible but if we want to win it we have to beat the best teams, we beat them last year and we are a much better team this year. Looking forward to it.

Johner wrote: »
    Toughest draw possible but if we want to win it we have to beat the best teams, we beat them last year and we are a much better team this year. Looking forward to it.

Ya, we are better, theyve improved as a team also but I think if you compare their best XI

Sirigou
    V.D.Wiel Silva Luiz Maxwell
    Matuidi Motta Verratti
    Cavani Ibra Lavezzi

Thats the team that seems to start when everyone is fit, I dont fear it.

Last year with Luiz in CM we were over run by PSG, with Matic in there thats not going to happen this time, we also didnt have a guy like Cesc to control the tempo of our game.

We've a lot more balance and it should be an interesting match up, I'd say tie of the round but City v Barca runs it pretty close.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

Thats about what everyone thought I suppose, he was never going to get in ahead of Cesc and MAtic and would be a bench warmer at best, City have had a few injuries so hes starting and coming off the bench.

Its good for them if theyre chasing games but this year we've not chased many games, he would have been a useful option but he wouldnt have been as effective for us, IMO, as he has for City so far.

I wouldnt wish him anything but the best....as long as City dont win the league. :pac:

Sirigou
    V.D.Wiel Silva Luiz Maxwell
    Matuidi Motta Verratti
    Cavani Ibra Lavezzi

There's a good few average enough players in that team (openly admit I don't watch too much Ligue 1 so may be a bit off the mark), Matic Cesc and Oscar will be pretty vital I think, if they can control the middle we'll be laughing.

Also on leading the league I can't see it happening all the way, even with Aguero & Kompany having knocks City are also in a seriously easy run of fixtures so they'll be fine. I'd say holding on until Feb will be very tough...

Liverpool have been drawn against.....Demab Ba and Besiktas, should be an interesting reception at Anfield for Demba :D

Hes also flying it in Turkey, 10 games, 8 goals

18 games in total, 16 goals.

There's a good few average enough players in that team (openly admit I don't watch too much Ligue 1 so may be a bit off the mark), Matic Cesc and Oscar will be pretty vital I think, if they can control the middle we'll be laughing.

Also on leading the league I can't see it happening all the way, even with Aguero & Kompany having knocks City are also in a seriously easy run of fixtures so they'll be fine. I'd say holding on until Feb will be very tough...

The main battle is CM, I'd say if everyone is fit, it will be Matic Cesc and Ramires operating from right wing to make it a 3 if needed.

Nah, leading the league from week 3 until 38 is unheard of. Its just not really possible, we've a tough few games coming up and as ya said City have an upcoming run of cannon fodder really so if they dont catch us or at least overtake us I'd be shocked and that sminaly down to the games we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Haven't seen too much of PSG this year but they have drawn 7 and lost 1 in the league, that's pretty poor in a piss poor league.

Liverpool have been drawn against.....Demab Ba and Besiktas, should be an interesting reception at Anfield for Demba :D

Hes also flying it in Turkey, 10 games, 8 goals

18 games in total, 16 goals.

Was watching them against Spurs the other night and all the commentators were saying was how much they were missing him. Delighted for Ba to be honest, never had the top flight quality but always seemed pretty honest and plenty good enough for Europa cup stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Was watching them against Spurs the other night and all the commentators were saying was how much they were missing him. Delighted for Ba to be honest, never had the top flight quality but always seemed pretty honest and plenty good enough for Europa cup stuff.

Bad week for them, losing at Barca and then at Guingamp. Hopefully they'll be able to raise themselves and give you lot a decent couple of games.

Watching the Boro v Derby highlights and Bamford destroyed them

Apparently he has 10gcse's and 4 a levels and could have went to Harvard.

PSG 9/5 to win the first leg. Bookies have us as more likely to win in Paris at 6/4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

PSG 9/5 to win the first leg. Bookies have us as more likely to win in Paris at 6/4.

I think we will win in Paris too. 6/4 is a sh1t price though

Johner wrote: »
    Haven't seen too much of PSG this year but they have drawn 7 and lost 1 in the league, that's pretty poor in a piss poor league.

They lost yesterday to Guinamp who are something like 13th in the league so thats 2 losses I'm sure.

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    I think we will win in Paris too. 6/4 is a sh1t price though

Ya those prices are poor, if it was reveresed I'd be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

no their first defeat of any kind was against Barca

Ya those prices are poor, if it was reveresed I'd be tempted.

I dont think we will win in Paris. I would take a score draw happily. Can't really be calling it now though, im still scared we'l get an injury to a key player/s

Watching the Boro v Derby highlights and Bamford destroyed them

Apparently he has 10gcse's and 4 a levels and could have went to Harvard.

Would love to see him as striker number 3 for us next year when Drogs hangs up the boots.

greendom wrote: »
    no their first defeat of any kind was against Barca

2 defeats in a row, theyre useless. :pac:

Anyway, its the toughest game we could have got but f**k it, you've to beat good teams to win the thing, no easy draws in the UCL.

Would love to see him as striker number 3 for us next year when Drogs hangs up the boots.

It depends, one last loan spell out might be good for him but I think his contract is up either this summer or next.

He'd be a good 3rd option though although I'm sure Remy thought he was been bought to play 2nd choice CF, maybe 4th/5th choice winger and hes got neither.

If we dont stick on Bamford I reckon he'll be a decent option for a few teams anyway, he wont be a world beater but a good option.

He's putting them away alright..... in the championship. Let's see him prove his mettle in the premiership first before we give him that 3rd slot as he's not going to develop by sitting on the bench

the 'tapping up' derby :)

Cech is now only 7 away (164) from beating James record of 170 clean sheets in the EPL.

2 clean sheets against Arsenal and Hull.

Its highly unlikely, barring an injury to Courtois that he'll beat the record though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Cech is now only 7 away (164) from beating James record of 170 clean sheets in the EPL.

2 clean sheets against Arsenal and Hull.

Its highly unlikely, barring an injury to Courtois that he'll beat the record though.

Unless he moves to an EPL club, Mou proved with Mata he doesn't mind selling to divisional rivals for the right price

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement