Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Unless he moves to an EPL club, Mou proved with Mata he doesn't mind selling to divisional rivals for the right price

Well as I've argued in the Pool thread, Mata wasnt needed we had plenty of cover and players willing to do what he couldnt.

If Cech goes ourt next option is Schwarzer who played a huge part in costing us a chance to contest the league up until the last day.

If courtois goes down injured or is susoended I'd much rather Cech than anyone else, also as I mentioned, why woudl he leave in January when he has the chance at a silverware with us, going to Liverpool now is only going to stabilise a team, even if he'll play every game hes a lot less likely to win anything in the next few months.

I'd leave him go in the summer, no problem, he deserves to play but unless he wants out himself, theres no way we'll find a 2nd choice keeper with the 7 - 10 million we'd get for him thats anywhere near good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I don't think he'll leave in Jan either but he'll go to a top 10 club in the summer I think. Also not worried about the quality of replacement, I can't think of any club with a good quality sub keeper other than maybe barca/madrid, but even then it only stunts young keepers development imo. I'd be happy to have a Schwarzer-type on the bench basically for the next 10 years or so, young ones would cost more and you'd have to question their motivation when Courtois is ahead of them. I'm sure 5-10 mil will be plenty to find someone?

I don't think he'll leave in Jan either but he'll go to a top 10 club in the summer I think. Also not worried about the quality of replacement, I can't think of any club with a good quality sub keeper other than maybe barca/madrid, but even then it only stunts young keepers development imo. I'd be happy to have a Schwarzer-type on the bench basically for the next 10 years or so, young ones would cost more and you'd have to question their motivation when Courtois is ahead of them. I'm sure 5-10 mil will be plenty to find someone?

We could stick with Blackman, although I dont think hes anywhere near good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Back up keeper? What about re-signing this man?

027ee8d39f7b7424f490e5d0d017889f_z.jpg

:pac:

Hes got a UCL medal :o

If we sign him on a pie as you play deal then everything will be perfect, for him and us. :)

Actually just checked, Turnbull also has 2 FA cup medals, and aEuropa League medal to add to his UCL medal.

The life of a sub goalie :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We could stick with Blackman, although I dont think hes anywhere near good enough.

He actually looks woeful from what I've seen so far :/

He actually looks woeful from what I've seen so far :/

Ya, you're not wrong really, I dont think hes up to the standard we need for this level.

Bring back Hilario on goal :pac:

Were playing away on Monday to Stoke.. city are at home saturday at 12.45 to Palace. Depending on the result we could be 2nd at kick off. Theyve also no capital 1 cup game so theyve big advantage this week and on the 26th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Were playing away on Monday to Stoke.. city are at home saturday at 12.45 to Palace. Depending on the result we could be 2nd at kick off. Theyve also no capital 1 cup game so theyve big advantage this week and on the 26th

You know what, playing second with having the pressure to win is actually something I think this team will embrace and something that may make this team better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If we're going to 'struggle', I'd rather it be at this stage in the season when we still have time to recover.

I'd be bricking it if we coasted the entire season only to let City, and possibly United, close in with a couple of games to go.

We're definitely better equipped to win the thing than anybody else, so a kick up the hole around now wouldn't be disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I'm confident we can turn over PSG. We've improved on last year - we have Matic and Costa - Drogba will help too. We'll just have to work harder to do it, and this might cost us Premiership points on the rebound.

Any views on January transfers to boost the EPL push? *Not Pogba :pac: *

Our fixtures near the PSG game:

11th February - Everton (H)
    14th February - Possible FA Cup 5th round tie.
    17th February - PSG (A)
    21st February - Burnley (H)
    28th February - Leicester (A) or possible Capital One Cup final.
    3rd March - West Ham (A)
    7th March - Possible FA Cup Quarter-Final.
    11th March - PSG (H)
    14th March - Southampton (H)

We are so lucky. We face Everton, Burnley, Leicester, West Ham & Southampton in the games likely to be affected by playing PSG. We have the 2 harder games at home (Everton & Southampton). When you consider that we have a 5 weeks period there with no game against City, United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs or any really tough away game, then we have gotten lucky.

The other side of that: A possible Champions League Quarter-Final (April 14/15 & 21/22) would be sandwiched in with games against Manchester United or an FA Cup Semi-Final (April 18th down for both fixtures) and Arsenal (April 25th) and a possible Champions League Semi-Final (May 5/6 & 12/13) would be either side of us playing Liverpool (May 9th) in the league.

We should still be picking up the necessary amount of points during February and March when we play PSG as our fixtures aren't too demanding on paper, but if we progressed past PSG then after that the Champions League would no doubt cost us points in the league (add that to the fact that Barca will probably knock out City in the last 16 then it doesnt look good for us there). And with the FA Cup fixtures being so close to all possible Champions League games, then we will surely be resting players in the cup.

Looking at City's games now around their ties with Barcelona... will report back soon.

McDave wrote: »
    I'm confident we can turn over PSG. We've improved on last year - we have Matic and Costa - Drogba will help too. We'll just have to work harder to do it, and this might cost us Premiership points on the rebound.

Any views on January transfers to boost the EPL push? *Not Pogba :pac: *

Pogba in
    Mikel out

Straight swap ;)

So... City's games around the Barcelona tie are a little more difficult than ours considering they have Liverpool away, but other than that very manageable:

21st February - Newcastle (H)
    24th February - Barcelona (H)
    28th February - Liverpool (A) that is if Liverpool don't progress to the Capital One Cup final.
    4th March - Leicester (H)
    7th March - Possible FA Cup Quarter-Final.
    14th March - Burnley (A)
    18th March - Barcelona (A)
    21st March - West Brom (H)

Im guessing City will be out of the Champions League after this and will have a clear run at the end of the league season....

• Advertisement

When you start looking at how the Champions League may affect league form, then you start to realise Liverpool wouldn't have come within an asses roar of winning the title last season if it wasnt for their reduced workload.

When you start looking at how the Champions League may affect league form, then you start to realise Liverpool wouldn't have come within an asses roar of winning the title last season if it wasnt for their reduced workload.

Ultimately it cost us on both fronts.

:o

Balague saying Torres wants Atletico switch and they want it too but they dont want to pay for him.

So all of that is bull**** and nothing is happening, good man.

Balague saying Torres wants Atletico switch and they want it too but they dont want to pay for him.

So all of that is bull**** and nothing is happening, good man.

Was watching an Alan Shearer programme today and the thought struck me... Torres has been awful for about 5 years now. He enjoyed only 5-6 good years and began to fail.... yet in 50 years time im sure football would look back and would rate Torres as better than Shearer!

Was watching an Alan Shearer programme today and the thought struck me... Torres has been awful for about 5 years now. He enjoyed only 5-6 good years and began to fail.... yet in 50 years time im sure football would look back and would rate Torres as better than Shearer!

For medals yes but shearers insane goal ratio in the league will see him, in england at least recognised as one of the best CFs in the league.

Still think that award is Henrys and Henrys alone though.

• Advertisement

Ultimately it cost us on both fronts.

:o

We played 12 Champions League games last season, and there were 22 league games either 3/4 days before or 3/4 days after one of them 12 games, so there were 22 games for which preparation was hindered due to Champions League participation.

Our record in them games:

Played - 22
    Won - 13
    Drew - 2
    Lost - 7
    Points Won - 41
    Point Lost - 25
    Points Per Game - 1.6

Also when you just take the Champions League games with PSG and Athletico in isolation then the record is:

Played - 6
    Won - 3
    Drew - 1
    Lost - 2
    Points Won - 10
    Points Lost - 8
    Points Per Game - 1.8

For the 16 games unaffected by Champions League games the record was much better:

Played - 16
    Won - 12
    Drew - 4
    Lost - 0
    Points Won - 40
    Points Lost - 8
    Points Per Game - 2.5

So yes, Champions League participation cost us the league last season. I really hope we have the squad able to deal with it this season.

Well weve better options upfront and thats where we were pporrst last season.

Rotating the 3 we ha e should still see us get goals.

Some Derby stats

2nd most goals scored in the Championship - 38 scored
    3rd best defence - 21 against
    4th best home record - P10 W6 D3 L1 GS 23 GA 8

Thew squad that travelled

Cech, Beeney, Schwarzer,
    Ivanovic, Luis, Zouma, Terry, Azpilicueta, Christensen.
    Fabregas, Ramires, Oscar, Hazard, Mikel, Schurrle, Salah, Matic, Willian, Loftus-Cheek.
    Drogba, Remy, Costa.

No Cahill apparently.

It shows how thin we are though at the back, if Cahill and JT both drop for any reason we're down to Ivan and Zouma at CB

It shows how thin we are though at the back, if Cahill and JT both drop for any reason we're down to Ivan and Zouma at CB

I wouldn't worry about that too much tbh, similar enough in standard (or better) to/than anyone's 3rd & 4th choice CBs imo. Very impressed with Zouma so far so would be happy for him to step in for 3/4 games if needed, particularly if next to Terry too.

I had a genuine LOL at this today.

Carrick "the best CB in England"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2875680/Michael-Carrick-best-centre-half-Premier-League-season-England-OWE-pick-him.html

Ya gotta love the Daily Mail, gives me a good chuckle.

I wouldn't worry about that too much tbh, similar enough in standard (or better) to/than anyone's 3rd & 4th choice CBs imo. Very impressed with Zouma so far so would be happy for him to step in for 3/4 games if needed, particularly if next to Terry too.

I've every faith in Zouma too, hes a good talent and should have no issue starting next to JT if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I had a genuine LOL at this today.

Carrick "the best CB in England"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2875680/Michael-Carrick-best-centre-half-Premier-League-season-England-OWE-pick-him.html

Ya gotta love the Daily Mail, gives me a good chuckle.

Daily Mail is bad enough, but Adrian Durham writing in the Daily Mail ? A match made in hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Its all about the H2H
    Head-to-head record:
    Derby wins 38
    draws 29
    Chelsea wins 38
    (whipped from the Daily Mail....your one stop shop for all the good football stuff :D )

Panthro wrote: »
    Its all about the H2H
    Head-to-head record:
    Derby wins 38
    draws 29
    Chelsea wins 38
    (whipped from the Daily Mail....your one stop shop for all the good football stuff :D )

Its winner takes all so with regards to H2H

Was watching Derby v Chelsea 2001 on Chelsea TV.

Seen about 10minutes beofre I had to turn it off, was woeful.

Team was

Cudicini
    Melchiot Terry Desailly Le Saux
    Stanic Della Bonna Wise Zola
    Hasslebaink Gudjohensen

Was 0-0 when I turned if off, have to Google how it finished

• Advertisement

Its winner takes all so with regards to H2H

Was watching Derby v Chelsea 2001 on Chelsea TV.

Seen about 10minutes beofre I had to turn it off, was woeful.

Team was

Cudicini
    Melchiot Terry Desailly Le Saux
    Stanic Della Bonna Wise Zola
    Hasslebaink Gudjohensen

Was 0-0 when I turned if off, have to Google how it finished

Good times :) Apart from Dalla Bonna and Stanic, such fond memories of the rest of that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Good times :) Apart from Dalla Bonna and Stanic, such fond memories of the rest of that team.

stanic scored a wonder goal against west ham at SB

peteeeed wrote: »
    stanic scored a wonder goal against west ham at SB

Haha the real super mario? :)

We played them last year nearly 12 months ago in the FA cup 3rd round, even though we had a rotated squad the contrast in players is stark.

Team that lined out was

Schwarzer
    Azp Cahill Luiz Cole
    Mikel Essien
    Ramires Oscar Willian
    Etoo

Pretty short sighted by Le Saux.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2014/12/16/7122492/chelsea-must-start-destroying-teams-le-saux
    "Our team were very exciting because you never quite knew what you were going to get! We could be 2-0 up in a game and lose 3-2 like we did against Arsenal and be quite frustrating because we were always trying to score another goal.

"We took teams apart when we played well and scored a lot of goals. We weren't as consistent as Mourinho's teams and weren't able to win the league but we had a phenomenal ability to play good, open and entertaining football."

Ya because thats what every team wants, he does say that Jose knows how to shut down a game, which is a great way to conserve energy if you have 70% of the ball and a 2-0 lead going into the last quarter of the game.

While its brilliant to win a game by 3 + goals, I'd rather win the league on points and a string of 1-0's than scoring 4 or 5 and f*king up somewhere and having to rely on goal difference.

Time for gav to start the campaign
    @BFairthorne: Chelsea likely to be very quiet in the transfer market this window, but Pogba their main summer target. Club already working on deal.
    https://twitter.com/bfairthorne/status/544906192100012032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

@BFairthorne: Chelsea likely to be very quiet in the transfer market this window, but Pogba their main summer target. Club already working on deal.
    I was nearly certain that we signed pogba in the summer and loaned him back ;)

Chelsea team v Derby: Cech; Azpilicueta, Zouma, Terry (c), Filipe Luis; Mikel, Matic; Schurrle, Fabregas, Hazard; Drogba.

Strong team.

Subs v Derby: Schwarzer, Ivanovic, Ramires, Willian, Salah, Remy, Diego Costa. #CFC

• Advertisement

Strong line up

Jose taking this very seriously. Very strong team.

His value will be insane still but if juve win the league and dont make a dent in europe will he leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Kinda happy to see Cahill, Willian and Costa dropped/rested after the dives at the weekend, us chelsea fans get enough stick in general without the players doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

What does poor Remy have to do to get a start

What does poor Remy have to do to get a start

Kill Drogba id say.

He'll get chances. Hes more likely to come on than Costa.

Keep costa away from the cards or else he'll be missing games when we need him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Seen the team fancy Chelsea to put 4 or more past Derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Apparently Drogba is now French... interesting.

Wont be 4.

I'd say 2-1 Chelsea

Hazard! Get in.

Another Cesc assist.

About time, well in hazard, good finish

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement