Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

One thing for sure our next 4 games on paper are far tougher than city. If we can stay ahead of city after those games I have real confidence that we will win the league.

Its strange with all this talk about how strong Chelsea are this season, yet we could be level with City tonight.

I’m scratching my head a bit how that happened :confused:

Not a great omen

“Monday part is significant. Stoke haven't lost any of their last six Premier League games played on a Monday”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Barr wrote: »
    One thing for sure our next 4 games on paper are far tougher than city. If we can stay ahead of city after those games I have real confidence that we will win the league.

Its strange with all this talk about how strong Chelsea are this season, yet we could be level with City tonight.

Well we've

Stoke A
    West Ham H
    Southampton H
    Spurs A

4 Huge games.

Also, Theyre level due to 4 games where we f**ked up.

1) City 1-1, it had to be lamps afterwe hit the post at 1-0 and City down to 10 men.
    2) Utd 1-1, I was fuming with a) the ref for a soft 2nd booking and b) the defending following the free kick.
    3) Sunderland 0-0, terrible game, Sunderland could have easily won.
    4) Newcastle 2-1, shambles of a game, Mikel missing a sitter at 0-0 sticks out as a real sore point.

So thats a grand total of 4 points f**ked away from winning positions and 4 points we've dropped against the teams placed 2nd and 3rd. You add those points and we're 4 clear of City and 11 vlear of Utd before k/o tonight.

So in short, its our own fault and given our last 2 away games we got 1 point, anything short of a win is poor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

City deserve alot of credit imo. The season was turning into a disaster for them but they've turned it around in recent weeks.

I've criticized them in the past because they didn't seem to have any backbone, courage or leaders on the pitch but they're slowly starting to prove me wrong. Was impressed with them on Saturday.

From a City perspective they seem to be coming good just at the right time :mad:

I just hope we don’t fade away and Jose keep the belief in the players. Xmas is such an important time for the league with so many games coming think and fast.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    City deserve alot of credit imo. The season was turning into a disaster for them but they've turned it around in recent weeks.

I've criticized them in the past because they didn't seem to have any backbone, courage or leaders on the pitch but they're slowly starting to prove me wrong. Was impressed with them on Saturday.

City like us should be winning about 15 or 16 of their home games.

Its the away from that will win the league for us or City and thats what I think will seperate us so hopefulyl we start bucking up.

Currently we have the best home record in the league

P 8, W8 GF 20, GA 3 Pts 24

Away record is 2nd best in the league

P 8 W4 D3 L1 GF 16 GA 10 Pts 15

Whos on top of the away record? City by a mile

P9 W6 D2 L1 GF 21 GA 9 Pts 20

So we've really got to start closing that away pts total if we want the title and 3 points tonight when looking at the away wins record is nearly a must.

From a City perspective they seem to be coming good just at the right time :mad:

I just hope we don’t fade away and Jose keep the belief in the players. Xmas is such an important time for the league with so many games coming think and fast.

I think the players in the squad last year have to drill it into everyones head that at one point between Jan, Feb and MAr the team went on a great run only to fade and slip to 3rd, we still had the biggest say on where the title went but it didnt help us one bit and it was sh*t away results that cost us.

Its not a revenge mission but the 3-2 loss last year was inflicted befroe Matics time and Stoke walked through us especailly the centre for the 2nd and 3rd goals hopefully it will be different this time around.

A rainy nite in Stoke is always a tough ask .. ask any Arsenal fan :pac:

Last year against stoke was a real kick in the teeth.

I think we really need to win tonight , lay down a marker to City.

A rainy nite in Stoke is always a tough ask .. ask any Arsenal fan :pac:

Last year against stoke was a real kick in the teeth.

I think we really need to win tonight , lay down a marker to City.

Having played a game less than City away, we're 5 points down on their total.

WE have to start putting away points on the board, whats not to bad is after Spurs away in a few days we'll only have to visit the Emirates in April as our last "difficult" away game.

City have only played Arsenal away so will have to play the following away

Utd
    Pool
    Chelsea
    Spurs
    Everton

Arsenal away certainly isn’t the worst of the “difficult” games to have left.

Looking at that , City certainly have a few nice few difficult away games so it’s a bit more balanced that they have picked up more points on the road so far.

• Advertisement

Arsenal away certainly isn’t the worst of the “difficult” games to have left.

Looking at that , City certainly have a few nice few difficult away games so it’s a bit more balanced that they have picked up more points on the road so far.

Ya but breaking out the old reliable "what if" the draws away in Manchester were 2 wins we'd be clear and away and I dont think anyone would catch us.

Anyway, we're nearly half way through the season and we're doing well. We'll lose more games and so will City so its going to be a tight fews months.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If we lose 1-0 everything is square and I think we'd stay top due to alphabetical order, open to correction though.

Not sure how its decided if after 38 games teams have same points, GD and goals scored.

Sky just confirmed what you said basically. If we were level with GD and GS and the end of the season its a one off game at a neutral venue.

Sky just confirmed what you said basically. If we were level with GD and GS and the end of the season its a one off game at a neutral venue.

Lets hope it doesnt come down to that.

Old Trafford is to close to City.
    Wembley is to close to Chelsea.

Villa Park? Like the old FA Cup semi finals. :)

Although the FA would probably go for Wembley for more £££££££.

I assume it has never happened.

If it were at Wembley we would have it sewn up with Drogba to score at least a brace :pac:

Makes for good reading : http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea-can-wear-the-crown-if-they-top-the-tree-this-christmas-30854596.html
    Anything but a defeat by two goals or more would leave Chelsea top of the table on Christmas morning - a present recent history suggests Jose Mourinho will turn into silverware.

For all three of Chelsea's Premier League triumphs, they also led the table on Christmas Day. In Mourinho's first campaign, the Blues were five points clear of Arsenal after a 4-0 win over Norwich, and a year later, a 2-0 triumph at Arsenal meant they led Manchester United by nine points prior to retaining the crown. In the 2009-10 season, Carlo Ancelotti's men were four points beyond United ahead of their third title.

The team top on December 25 has gone on to take the prize seven times in the past decade.

Chelsea overcame last December's loss at Stoke to go three months unbeaten in the league.

The above article and quotes make me a little easier about tonights game but I still fear it TBH.

Chelsea record at the Brittania

PLD 6 W 3 D 2 L 1 F 11 A 5

• Hoping Stoke give you a good test today.
    Might bet on the draw.
    They will certainly dig in and make it awkward and Crouch is equally as awkward.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hoping Stoke give you a good test today.
    Might bet on the draw.
    They will certainly dig in and make it awkward and Crouch is equally as awkward.

I see a 1-1 on the Mystic Meg cards but naturally hoping for a win, all things being equal we should but football isnt that simple.

Utd apart, we've the best record at the Brittania between Pool, Arsenal and City

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chelsea subs v Stoke: Cech, Filipe Luis, Zouma, Ake, Oscar, Schurrle, Drogba.

Chelsea team v Stoke: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Mikel, Matic; Willian, Fabregas, Hazard; Diego Costa.

I knew he'd start f**king Mikel.

Im saying that, where it matters, cesc is better than oscar

Not happy with the 11 though.

Would prefer schurrle luis and oscar in it. Playing mikel is given them a slight edge why should be imposing our game on them not adapting ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

is it just me or is mikel after improving? And wtf happened to ramires, have barely seen him this season??

rottie 11 wrote: »
    is it just me or is mikel after improving? And wtf happened to ramires, have barely seen him this season??

Weve played well and mikel is moving it well enough too. Stoke arent pressing high enough though.

They will in the 2nd half we might get more counter attacks

DIRTy Stoke all night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great win and well deserved.

Matic Mikel and fabregas ran the show , hope hazard is ok

• Advertisement

I wanna mention courtois too.

Came and dealt with every long ball like he was a 10year veteran, all in his 1st appearance at stoke.

The amount of confidence we can have in this G.K. is crazy. Big commanding display when needed.

Cesc was motm and costa played well.

Matic and Mikel were a very good partnership and rarely allowed anyone goal side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well pleased with that. I liked the way costa was pissed off when he was subbed. It shows his intent, hunger and disappointment at not scoring. I liked matic, a lot. Class act. Fab needs no mention. His actions speak volumes!

Costa knew he should have scored at least 1 but that will drive him on.

Solid performance and a clean sheet too which is very good.

City 3 behind
    Utd 10
    Spurs/arsenal 15
    Liverpool 20

Lads on MNF gave Courtois some credit there.

Rightfully too.

Delighted with that. Was worried before the game, but great display really. Stoke never had a sniff.

Back 4 was solid. Cahill really stepped it up. Nice to have Zouma breathing down his neck if he's going to put in performances like that.

Our defence is turning as solid as Mourinho MK 1 imo, haven't conceded a goal from a corner this season. We were rocky at the start but we've got it sorted.

Matic is the type of player I think we've all being hoping for since about the trio of Essien - Ballack and Lampard was. People say our lack of striker was what stopped us last year but until we got Matic teams we're simply running through us with Ramires/Lampard/Mikel there. By the time he leaves the club I guarantee we'll look back on it as one of Jose's greatest signings. If he was there Atletico probably wouldn't run through us in the Champions League Semi Final either.

Fabregas was excellent. He didn't exactly play the Oscar role it was a flat three in midfield for most of the game. We were 1-0 considering.

Hazard and Willian did well. Hazard dropping deep is an essential part of our ball retention for me as he either picks the ball up, passes or dribbles by his man or takes the ball, drags two men in and lays it for Fabregas to put in behind. Willan did well and I feel he is improving every game and slowly but surely getting used to the English game. He is well able to step up, receive the ball and take his man down the line.

Costa made good runs and linked up well, on another day he would have scored twice but I think that only makes him it hungrier. He looked pissed off at coming off, and I'm looking forward to seeing running into Shawcrosses face with the ball after he scores in the reverse fixture!

You can notice the little drills we do in training with our attacking movement. The way whole move of Costa's chance was beautiful to watch, the ball from Hazard was immense. Shame Costa didn't finish it off, but Hazard seems to form excellent partnerships with whoever is upfront.

Delighted with that tonight, Happy going into Christmas. West Ham at 12:45 in the local on Stephens Day now, Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Shocking Obi played very well, pretty much everyone did to be fair though Costa blew two really good chances. Is Remy injured?

Hope Haz just a knock but we should be able to beat West Ham without him, unless Sam out tactics us again of course!!!!!!

Delighted with that. Was worried before the game, but great display really. Stoke never had a sniff.

Back 4 was solid. Cahill really stepped it up. Nice to have Zouma breathing down his neck if he's going to put in performances like that.

Our defence is turning as solid as Mourinho MK 1 imo, haven't conceded a goal from a corner this season. We were rocky at the start but we've got it sorted.

Matic is the type of player I think we've all being hoping for since about the trio of Essien - Ballack and Lampard was. People say our lack of striker was what stopped us last year but until we got Matic teams we're simply running through us with Ramires/Lampard/Mikel there. By the time he leaves the club I guarantee we'll look back on it as one of Jose's greatest signings. If he was there Atletico probably wouldn't run through us in the Champions League Semi Final either.

Fabregas was excellent. He didn't exactly play the Oscar role it was a flat three in midfield for most of the game. We were 1-0 considering.

Hazard and Willian did well. Hazard dropping deep is an essential part of our ball retention for me as he either picks the ball up, passes or dribbles by his man or takes the ball, drags two men in and lays it for Fabregas to put in behind. Willan did well and I feel he is improving every game and slowly but surely getting used to the English game. He is well able to step up, receive the ball and take his man down the line.

Costa made good runs and linked up well, on another day he would have scored twice but I think that only makes him it hungrier. He looked pissed off at coming off, and I'm looking forward to seeing running into Shawcrosses face with the ball after he scores in the reverse fixture!

You can notice the little drills we do in training with our attacking movement. The way whole move of Costa's chance was beautiful to watch, the ball from Hazard was immense. Shame Costa didn't finish it off, but Hazard seems to form excellent partnerships with whoever is upfront.

Delighted with that tonight, Happy going into Christmas. West Ham at 12:45 in the local on Stephens Day now, Lovely.

Can't watch Hammers match in pub, will be at Thomond Park for the Leinster game would be wasted if I went to watch Chelsea earlier. Though the way Munster are playing that could be a really good idea.

Very good result. Lots of positives, mental strength was huge to see that out.

Another 3 poi ts against a very good hammers side would be an excellent xmas present :)

This makes me happy

https://twitter.com/UberCheIseaFC/status/547190884270604289?s=01

Not the caption, the picture and Cesc reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Phoenix wrote: »
    When is the saints game on?

2.05 on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Bringing in Mikel for Oscar is looking like a good idea from Mourinho.

The current team has typically looked soft around the winter fixture pile-up and bringing in a bit of added steel is probably exactly what the team needs.

Oscar gets a decent rest too, which is IMO vital for getting the best out of him. He has played a sick amount of football for a player his age and will be at risk for burnout if not managed correctly. He has a fairly thankless job that requires constant running so he'll be fresh for our next few games so hopefully we'll see the best from him.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Bringing in Mikel for Oscar is looking like a good idea from Mourinho.

The current team has typically looked soft around the winter fixture pile-up and bringing in a bit of added steel is probably exactly what the team needs.

Oscar gets a decent rest too, which is IMO vital for getting the best out of him. He has played a sick amount of football for a player his age and will be at risk for burnout if not managed correctly. He has a fairly thankless job that requires constant running so he'll be fresh for our next few games so hopefully we'll see the best from him.

Hazard will probably miss the west ham game. We can bring in schurrle oscar salah or maybe remy for him so we'll be ok.

No news on Hazard this morning that I can see taking this to be a good sign ;)

How long a ban would a Chelsea player get for doing what Adam did to Schurrle (in Rams case 3 matches I think) but as it is not a Chelsea player not a word.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/12/23/7439075/charlie-adam-must-be-destroyed

Guy is filth and has no place on a football pitch.

No news on Hazard this morning that I can see taking this to be a good sign ;)

How long a ban would a Chelsea player get for doing what Adam did to Schurrle (in Rams case 3 matches I think) but as it is not a Chelsea player not a word.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/12/23/7439075/charlie-adam-must-be-destroyed

Guy is filth and has no place on a football pitch.

There'll be no news on Hazard for awhile I'd reckon, maybe later this evening after the afternoon training session hopefully theres nothing in it anyway.

The 1st elbow I can forgive for a bit of blocking, the 2nd is a blatant attempt to try and get Schurrle.

But thats Adam in a nutshell, extremly limited, large "athlete", I think Bellamys extract from his book sums him up better than I could.

Costa got involved straight away and barged him over the line and then Hughes threw his arms up and down as if Costa was the main issue that had just happened.

Its all Hughes does on the sideline was the same with City, complains about every little thing.

Was delighted we beat them as I pretty much despise them from their Pulis days, even though they might try and play some football they still have a horrible nasty side and we werent bullied last night.

I also got to say Swarbrick was poor last night, missed at least 2 more yellows fro Bardsley and a red card, IMO, as the Adam video shows, he the linesman and 4th official missed the elbow attempt also, theres a reason he doesnt do the big games, hes not a commanding enough official, hes not very good either it seems.

now that we are nearly at the end of the year , just want to mention matic, he really is turning into our patrick viera , last night he was everywhere , breaking up tackles , getting forward, great passing . he's got it all

GavRedKing wrote: »
    There'll be no news on Hazard for awhile I'd reckon, maybe later this evening after the afternoon training session hopefully theres nothing in it anyway.

The 1st elbow I can forgive for a bit of blocking, the 2nd is a blatant attempt to try and get Schurrle.

But thats Adam in a nutshell, extremly limited, large "athlete", I think Bellamys extract from his book sums him up better than I could.

Costa got involved straight away and barged him over the line and then Hughes threw his arms up and down as if Costa was the main issue that had just happened.

Its all Hughes does on the sideline was the same with City, complains about every little thing.

Was delighted we beat them as I pretty much despise them from their Pulis days, even though they might try and play some football they still have a horrible nasty side and we werent bullied last night.

I also got to say Swarbrick was poor last night, missed at least 2 more yellows fro Bardsley and a red card, IMO, as the Adam video shows, he the linesman and 4th official missed the elbow attempt also, theres a reason he doesnt do the big games, hes not a commanding enough official, hes not very good either it seems.

and he got in the way when we were 3 on 1(his worst crime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Adam gets away with murder week in, week out. He wrestled Sanchez to the ground with his arm wrapped around the Chilean's neck in their last home game

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    now that we are nearly at the end of the year , just want to mention matic, he really is turning into our patrick viera , last night he was everywhere , breaking up tackles , getting forward, great passing . he's got it all

Ya, hes a real power house, he doesnt get goals or assists but its not his job if Cesc is in there next to him, its good that we've got a real dominant force that can stand up and be counted.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    and he got in the way when we were 3 on 1(his worst crime)

That was terrible, he was running into the only space that a ball was going to be played, was poor awareness from him.
    greendom wrote: »
    Adam gets away with murder week in, week out. He wrestled Sanchez to the ground with his arm wrapped around the Chilean's neck in their last home game

Ya that was a disgrace too, Bardsley and Adam apart, Stoke were ok last night, no more physical than some teams but the 2 players I mentioned do like to throw around their weight more than most.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement