Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

United will put up a serious challenge next season with no Champions League football, im prepared to say Liverpool are fcuked, their squad just isnt good enough and with Suarez missing 9 games, im ready to rule them out...

Depends on who

a ) Utd sign

b ) Pool sign

How Pool handle life without Suarez for those few games, looks like 9 league games, 3 UCL games and 1/2 cup games.

Also you got to factor in City, our biggest rival next year and Arsenal who can go out and spend big too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Depends on who

a ) Utd sign

b ) Pool sign

How Pool handle life without Suarez for those few games, looks like 9 league games, 3 UCL games and 1/2 cup games.

Also you got to factor in City, our biggest rival next year and Arsenal who can go out and spend big too.

Well theyve made the huge step of getting a competent manager who should be fit for the level of players at the club and the level of expectation.

Id seriously expect RVP to be firing on all cyclinders next season too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Would have loved Shaw. :( Felipe Luis will be a good signing for us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Chill out Hangballlouie, first i've seen of any sort in this thread for a long time and unless you're a regular reader in here i'm sure you'll have seen that it's widespread in other threads in comparison to this one.

Gav can speak for himself (which he has done via PM) but thanks for participating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Johner wrote: »
    Would have loved Shaw. :( Felipe Luis will be a good signing for us though.

I would've liked Shaw too. But right now he's raw potential, Luis is the finished article and his link up play with Costa is fantastic. Next year we'll have the perfect balance of experience and youth.

I think we'll have fairly close to a perfect starting 11

Courtois

Azp---Cahill---Terry---Luis

Fabregas-Matic

Willian--Oscar---Hazard

Costa

or a 4-3-3

Courtois

Azp---Cahill--Terry--Luis

Matic

---Ramires----Fabregas

Willian
    Hazard

Costa

Think there might be 1 more big signing to come too.

• Advertisement

Kroos or Pogba, Costa and Felipe Luis. Not asking much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Anyone here disappointed with Belgium in the World Cup? I know a lot of the top teams aren't exactly setting the tournament on fire but from a chelsea point of view aside from Brazil they are the most represented side, although the only chelsea player to start tonight courtois made a cracking save in the first half.

Its Utds money but f**k me thats insane for Shaw.

Id still rather not have Luis hes too old and spending bigish money on him would be stupid IMO.

If we're going to play a very attacking team a rock solid back line is needed and when weve already got the best back 4 with the best young keeper in the world to come in we're sorted, let cesc oscar hazard willian lukaku/costa destroy teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Gav can speak for himself (which he has done via PM) but thanks for participating.
    Sorry, you were thread-spoiling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

And so after wishing for weeks that Shaw would be our boy and blossom into a beautiful butterfly, we shall now be hoping that when he emerges from his cocoon in the years to come that he remains nothing more than a simple butterfly. Good night everybody.

• Advertisement

Its Utds money but f**k me thats insane for Shaw.

Id still rather not have Luis hes too old and spending bigish money on him would be stupid IMO.

If we're going to play a very attacking team a rock solid back line is needed and when weve already got the best back 4 with the best young keeper in the world to come in we're sorted, let cesc oscar hazard willian lukaku/costa destroy teams.

Don't think we'll be paying more than €15m for Luis. Athletico are playing hardball for sure, but they owe us a few favours after Courtois. Costa/Luis and possibly Tiago won't be announced until terms are sorted for all of them so it'll most likely be a triple deal.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Don't think we'll be paying more than €15m for Luis. Athletico are playing hardball for sure, but they owe us a few favours after Courtois. Costa/Luis and possibly Tiago won't be announced until terms are sorted for all of them so it'll most likely be a triple deal.

They us nothing though. :o They nurtured one of europes best gks for us.

Id take the Costa the rest can feck off elsewhere especially Tiago.

Id take the Costa the rest can feck off elsewhere especially Tiago.

I agree Tiago can stay where he is but Felipe Luis is an excellent left back and would be a brilliant addition. I would have preferred Shaw myself as he is 10 years younger with bags of potential but Luis should slot right in and is already the finished article. The fee mentioned isn't too much either for a left back of his quality, he was the best left back in Spain last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd imagine if Pogba was bought we'd see a player leave, Oscar to PSG?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Chill out Hangballlouie, first i've seen of any sort in this thread for a long time and unless you're a regular reader in here i'm sure you'll have seen that it's widespread in other threads in comparison to this one.
    Sorry, you were thread-spoiling ;)

Tut tut Sheepy you should know better than to talk sense :D

Lukker- wrote: »

Dont think we will get him for less than the buy out clause. I still think better value than Shaw as explained a few posts back. At ST£15-ST£20m Shaw would have been worth a punt but North of ST£30m no can't see it.

I'm sure Luis would be a good option but theres younger options available and we're not exactly blessed with an abundance of talent at LB that we can buy a guy pushing 30 and rely on the youngster.

I'd also say a big no no to Falcao after his injury, Costa would be cheaper and if we can Lukaku and Costa we'd be sroted, we've plenty of youth options coming through, Bamford, Brown, Feruz.

A marquee CF is our biggest failing, ideally we have two so keeping Lukaku at all costs would be great business this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd imagine if Pogba was bought we'd see a player leave, Oscar to PSG?

About the only player I'd be comfortable with to see replace Oscar if that does happen, but given PSG's financial situation who'd they sell to make room?

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    About the only player I'd be comfortable with to see replace Oscar if that does happen, but given PSG's financial situation who'd they sell to make room?

In theory theyed probably get a final warning about FFP and a huge fine which can be paid no problem.

If they could find a buyer for Cavani and sold him at about cost price theyed make money back but you'd imagine if we wanted about 50-60millino for Oscar theyed want similar money for Cavani.

For the record I'd prefer Cavani than Costa, his work rate is out fo this world and I think he'd be a huge hit in the EPL and I was really pi**ed we didnt sign him last year.

If this is true then it is madness in my view nearly ST£14m pa from an FFP aspect, wow bit of pressure on the lad.

http://www.givemesport.com/480277-manchester-united-sign-luke-shaw?autoplay=on

As for Luis I think there will be at least 3 possibly 4 good years in him and he is an excellent player. That gives PVA / Ryan & Wallace time to either come through or look for alternatives at full back. At the moment the only really good FB we have on the books is Dave, Ivan for me is a decent back up and there has been noises about him haggling over his contract.

One good FB is not good enough for a club looking to challenge for titles.

In theory theyed probably get a final warning about FFP and a huge fine which can be paid no problem.

If they could find a buyer for Cavani and sold him at about cost price theyed make money back but you'd imagine if we wanted about 50-60millino for Oscar theyed want similar money for Cavani.

For the record I'd prefer Cavani than Costa, his work rate is out fo this world and I think he'd be a huge hit in the EPL and I was really pi**ed we didnt sign him last year.

Oh would prefer Falcao over Cavani any day of the week. I really dont know how good Cavani would be in the PL, he was certainly woeful against us in the CL even playing his preferred position in the second leg. I would much prefer Mandzukic over Cavani.

Falcao would cost the same as Cavani and with a serious injury only months ago that would be a huge risk, plus Cavanis record is more impressive than Falcao and Mandzukic, IMO.

Falcao would cost the same as Cavani and with a serious injury only months ago that would be a huge risk, plus Cavanis record is more impressive than Falcao and Mandzukic, IMO.

No doubt Falcao could be a risk but that is what medicals are for (not that the one done on Torres seemed much cop).

I would have thought Falcao's record is far more impressive with 136 goals in 224 games against 138 goals in 268 games for Cavani. Most of Cavani's goals were scored in Italy which has had a fairly muck league for some time.

Mandzukic would be by far the cheapest and his record of 123 goals in 265 games is non too shabby really either. His record in the last 2 seasons for Munich is really excellent but then they are very much the dominant team in the league at the moment. Those are only league figures Falcao also has better overall and international figures.

If PSG have a bit of a fire sale or we get Pogba and swap Oscar for Cavani and a wad of cash then maybe but not at anywhere near what PSG paid Napoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i'm suprised that utd havent gone for Daley Blind with the van gaal connection, looks a super left back .......jose?

No doubt Falcao could be a risk but that is what medicals are for (not that the one done on Torres seemed much cop).

I would have thought Falcao's record is far more impressive with 136 goals in 224 games against 138 goals in 268 games for Cavani. Most of Cavani's goals were scored in Italy which has had a fairly muck league for some time.

Mandzukic would be by far the cheapest and his record of 123 goals in 265 games is non too shabby really either. His record in the last 2 seasons for Munich is really excellent but then they are very much the dominant team in the league at the moment. Those are only league figures Falcao also has better overall and international figures.

If PSG have a bit of a fire sale or we get Pogba and swap Oscar for Cavani and a wad of cash then maybe but not at anywhere near what PSG paid Napoli

Italy though is seen as the barometer for CFs, if you can score well there you're pretty much sorted.

I'd prefer Cavani over anyone but Costa would be my 2nd chioce, Falcao 3rd.

I'm also factoring in the choice that we were linked with Falcao and Cavani, the latter rather heavily before his move to PSG and both choose the money in France.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    i'm suprised that utd havent gone for Daley Blind with the van gaal connection, looks a super left back .......jose?

I think we need a LB, so Blind might be a decent option, same with R.Rodriguez of Switzerland, both would be considerably cheaper than Shaw, failing that give PVA a chance, sell Bertrand.

Blind's a good player, no pace at all though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Italy though is seen as the barometer for CFs, if you can score well there you're pretty much sorted.

I'm also factoring in the choice that we were linked with Falcao and Cavani, the latter rather heavily before his move to PSG and both choose the money in France.

I think we need a LB, so Blind might be a decent option, same with R.Rodriguez of Switzerland, both would be considerably cheaper than Shaw, failing that give PVA a chance, sell Bertrand.

i'd say PVA and wallace will be with us for pre-season , wallace got a bum deal at inter last season, showed big promise in last years pre-season tour over in america

• Advertisement

Not sold on Cavani at all. And for £55m I think money can be spent better elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Shevchenko :eek:

Techless wrote: »
    Shevchenko :eek:

We bought him 3 years to late. Had we got him in his pomp he'd have been excellent.

I'm sure Luis would be a good option but theres younger options available and we're not exactly blessed with an abundance of talent at LB that we can buy a guy pushing 30 and rely on the youngster

At the moment there isn't many better left backs in the world than Felipe Luis. As I said it would have been good to get Shaw as in time he will become world class but I have no doubt Felipe Luis will slot right in now, he's brilliant defensively and excellent going forward. He's also 6ft which is handy for defending set pieces. If we get 4 seasons out of him it will have been worth it, sure it would be nice to get a young defender and be sorted for LB for the future but right now the best option is Felipe Luis. He is definitely world class imo.

At the moment there isn't many better left backs in the world than Felipe Luis. As I said it would have been good to get Shaw as in time he will become world class but I have no doubt Felipe Luis will slot right in now, he's brilliant defensively and excellent going forward. He's also 6ft which is handy for defending set pieces. If we get 4 seasons out of him it will have been worth it, sure it would be nice to get a young defender and be sorted for LB for the future but right now the best option is Felipe Luis. He is definitely world class imo.

Ya he really should have gone to the WC, couple of those Atletico players should have actually.

Luke Shaw eh? Glad we didn't go for him, he's rubbish and can't defend. Dodged a bullet there. :pac:

• Advertisement

Luke Shaw eh? Glad we didn't go for him, he's rubbish and can't defend. Dodged a bullet there. :pac:

The only issue is Utd have serious pressure now withthe money they spent to at least make the top 4 which they should with the amount they're investing into the squad.

Utd fans will probably feel they still need a CB or two for comfort.

Other than that theyre doing well for themselves.

Shaws a good buy, sure he can watch us in Europe next year, head away down to London mate. :pac:

I think United will be 4th next season and challenge the season after. They were never going to be away for long. Shaw will be a great signing for them, still has a lot to learn defensively but he's 18 with bags of potential and will become world class. What sort of wages is he on?

I think United will be 4th next season and challenge the season after. They were never going to be away for long. Shaw will be a great signing for them, still has a lot to learn defensively but he's 18 with bags of potential and will become world class. What sort of wages is he on?

Edit : Wages? No idea I'd imagine 80-100K.

Just seen his twitter.

Player at Man Utd, Views are my own not Man Utd.

few minutes alter its changed and has nothing up there and stopped following Man Utd. :pac:

Expect it to be 100% done within the next few mins/hours.

Good signing for the future, whos likley to drop out of the top 4 at Utds expense?

Liverpool?
    Arsenal?
    Us?
    City?

Edit : Wages? No idea I'd imagine 80-100K.

Just seen his twitter.

Player at Man Utd, Views are my own not Man Utd.

few minutes alter its changed and has nothing up there and stopped following Man Utd. :pac:

Expect it to be 100% done within the next few mins/hours.

Good signing for the future, whos likley to drop out of the top 4 at Utds expense?

Liverpool?
    Arsenal?
    Us?
    City?

Wages according to givemesport (?) (link above somewhere) it is ST£160k a week. If they have paid a minimum of ST"27m for him I would say his mr10% would not settle for a paltry ST£100k a week :eek:

I think Liverpool would be the most likely to drop out.

• Advertisement

I think he was on 20K when he signed an extension with Southampton last year, an increase to 100K is huge but if its north of that its madness.

Close to 30million for him is madness but as I said its not a fans money and theyre not out of pocket so they wont give a balls, same as if we buy Costa or someone tomorrow for 35-40 million, its not my money so splash away.

I think Liverpool would be the most likely to drop out.

Theyve money to spend and a good starting XI but they'll need more quality then youve got the Suarez ban will be decreased, will he still be there?

Arsenal will add tot he squad but its a case of when not if with them and theyre not to far off either.

City are champions but unless they add they might lose out, like after Mancinis 1st title, they didnt bring in anyone really and couldnt defend the title.

Then you've us we've bought well so far, Cesc, Zouma and Courtois all joining up with maybe Costa and Lukaku too while keeping some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

The only issue is Utd have serious pressure now withthe money they spent to at least make the top 4 which they should with the amount they're investing into the squad.

Tbf I'd be pretttttty sure United squad is use to the pressure of having to finish top 4. If anything its less pressure than usual as they aren't expected to win the league.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Tbf I'd be pretttttty sure United squad is use to the pressure of having to finish top 4. If anything its less pressure than usual as they aren't expected to win the league.

There was huge pressure last year to keep in touch with the top 4 and they didnt do it, this squad this year is shaping up to be much better balanced and a miles better manager.

Theres instantly more pressure, nobody expects Utd to win the league but I wouldnt be shocked if they do, practically a week off between games is a god send, look at what Liverpool done with a smaller squad all last year, now they played some excellent stuff too along the way but I'm sure LVG will have to at minimum finish 4th.

I think he'll do it but I'm not sure who drops out, it might not just be 1 of the top 4 either.

Quote:

L.Shaw: "I never really considered Chelsea. My heart was always set on a move to United. They are the biggest club in the world." #MUFC

OK Luke :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

LOL :D

I think what it was meant to say was :
    "Chelsea I never really considered me Chelsea. My heart was always set on a move to ChelseaUnited. They are the biggest club in the world." #CFC

Anyway, wish him luck, going to be a future England star for the next few tournaments.

He might well have chose United over us but I think our interest cooled a while ago.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Is that from a reputable source or is it another twitter "quote"

From the United thread, not sure if that would be regarded as reputable :rolleyes:

Ecstatic over there with their new signings, wish the Costa deal was finally put to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If he's a Chelsea fan of any sorts, he would have come to the Bridge if there was any interest

Here's hoping we go for a young enough LB like Ricardo Rodriguez instead of wasting money on Filipe Luis, well not wasting but its not a great long term investment, which is what ffp is making a lot of transfers into

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement