Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Torres looks worse now than he did with us. :o

He only needs a few goals and he be back to his best. Thanks we don't have to say that to convince we got the worst dud of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He wont start with Mandzukic there.

I wish him well though and hes not our issue no more which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well rumours in the Catalan press during the summer was that he wasn't very happy with Cesc leaving and Alexis to a lesser degree. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if he ended up at the Bridge purely because of Cesc. Shur, if ye want to guarantee it just get Busquets/Thiago. :pac:

Nando, will probably give Simeone the work ethic he requires. Most optimistic thing I can say for him.

(Jeez I'm on a posting spree at the moment, all cos of being unable to get my sky app to work. Pretty soon I'll be like ill homer with the shaking fever and stuff. )

Turtwig wrote: »
    Well rumours in the Catalan press during the summer was that he wasn't very happy with Cesc leaving and Alexis to a lesser degree. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if he ended up at the Bridge purely because of Cesc. Shur, if ye want to guarantee it just get Busquets/Thiago. :pac:

Nando, will probably give Simeone the work ethic he requires. Most optimistic thing I can say for him.

Cesc is a huge asset regardless. If he can convince Jose he needs messi and also convinces Messi he'd go down as a Chelsea legend :pac: still highly doubt Messi will leave though. Enrique will be chopped before Messi.

Ya, usually what you lack in goals with torres his play and effort usually males up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If Barca chop Enrique then the rest of Europe might be pissed. 17th different line-up of the season with no coherency. Not quite Agent Moyes level becaues Messi and Neymar kept rescuing them but still ManC fans would be pissed!

Turtwig wrote: »
    If Barca chop Enrique then the rest of Europe might be pissed. 17th different line-up of the season with no coherency. Not quite Agent Moyes level becaues Messi and Neymar kept rescuing them but still ManC fans would be pissed!

Time well tell. Of course if Enrique continues and the squad harmony goes out the window or nearly worse, get divided, it could cripple Barcelona.

City will fancy their chances hugely, Toure and Bony will be back from the ACON and Aguero should be up to speed itll be a great set of games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

Hi guys, new Chelsea supporter joining your ranks. Long time lurker on the soccer forum and finally decided to apply for access seeing as i'm just back from my first FA cup match at the Bridge and still buzzing with all things Chelsea. KTBFFH

May it be a long and fruitful season of goals and trophies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote:
    Barca arent banned from selling players.

Yeah I know, I said they wouldnt be able to replace him so they arent going to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I think everyone is pointed more toward it not happening, than it happening.
    Barca however are the one club at the high end performance-wise that has no problem blooding up and coming youngsters.
    That coupled with the fact that their latest acquisitions in the window aren't doing much, if even playing would knock back the whole "they won't sell because of their embargo" theory a bit.
    Personally think Bayern (or wherever Pep is at the time) if he were ever to leave.

• Advertisement

While Messi would be an unbelievable signing, one that would nearly guarantee both the league and the Champions League in the next few years, I can see nothing but trouble with it. No resale value, issues with FFP, probably delay in any possible works on SB, as even Roman is unlikely to sponsor a 200M player alongside a costly stadium expansion (if at all possible, hopefully those guys that built the Alliance Arena are really that good) and a reduction in income as we relocate somewhere else for the duration of construction and have to pay rent.

Anyone else think signing Messi is just a dream?

Yeah I know, I said they wouldnt be able to replace him so they arent going to sell

I know, we could also use that 200+ million in other areas like say a stadium expansion ;)
    Sheepy99 wrote: »
    I think everyone is pointed more toward it not happening, than it happening.
    Barca however are the one club at the high end performance-wise that has no problem blooding up and coming youngsters.
    That coupled with the fact that their latest acquisitions in the window aren't doing much, if even playing would knock back the whole "they won't sell because of their embargo" theory a bit.
    Personally think Bayern (or wherever Pep is at the time) if he were ever to leave.

I think he fell out with Pep too, all signs point to Messi being difficult to work with really.
    kalych wrote: »
    While Messi would be an unbelievable signing, one that would nearly guarantee both the league and the Champions League in the next few years, I can see nothing but trouble with it. No resale value, issues with FFP, probably delay in any possible works on SB, as even Roman is unlikely to sponsor a 200M player alongside a costly stadium expansion (if at all possible, hopefully those guys that built the Alliance Arena are really that good) and a reduction in income as we relocate somewhere else for the duration of construction and have to pay rent.

Anyone else think signing Messi is just a dream?

Messi is a dream a far flung one too IMO. You've said it and I've said it above too, the 200 million could be used to budget for a stadium that will be around fro decades or a player that will be here for what, 5-7 years?

Or alternatively get in half a dozen world class players over 2 years that also adds up to 1 messi.

Messi is a dream a far flung one too IMO. You've said it and I've said it above too, the 200 million could be used to budget for a stadium that will be around fro decades or a player that will be here for what, 5-7 years?

Or alternatively get in half a dozen world class players over 2 years that also adds up to 1 messi.

Our squad is about 3 players away from being perfect (rw, cb and a CM) 60-70M, which we can easily afford in the summer even with FFP. Messi is like a trophy wife.:rolleyes:

the hardest position to fill, IMO will be CB.

Even if Zouma dislodges Cahill , JT will have to be replaced eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

the hardest position to fill, IMO will be CB.

Even if Zouma dislodges Cahill , JT will have to be replaced eventually.

Yep, we need to sign at least 1 top class CB next season. Back-up options at CM will be needed, as well as someone to push Willian on the right. Messi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yep, we need to sign at least 1 top class CB next season. Back-up options at CM will be needed, as well as someone to push Willian on the right. Messi?

Seeing rumors that Stoke are putting in a bid for Shaqiri. Would love him here tbh.

Were we ever in for Kompany at all? would have been some replacement for Carvalho. I think he was one of the only great youngsters in football manager that ended up fulfilling his early promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Got a ticket on Twitter for the Newcastle match this saturday! should be apartment hunting but couldn't resist, happy out :)

Varane, Hummels would be the two candidates I'd love. On the right it has to be a goal threat as Willian doesnt do it or else hope Schurrle becomes consistent.
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    Seeing rumors that Stoke are putting in a bid for Shaqiri. Would love him here tbh.

Thought he was Liverpool bound no?
    Were we ever in for Kompany at all? would have been some replacement for Carvalho. I think he was one of the only great youngsters in football manager that ended up fulfilling his early promise.

A few have from FM but I wouldnt use that as a barometer either :o

Too many factors concerning development, game time, injuries, club setup and of course the biggest thing, mental attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I think people here are seriously underestimating the commercial value of signing Messi.

This guy could quite possibly go down as the greatest player to ever play the game. Having him in a Chelsea side will probably double our merchandise and sponsorship revenue almost overnight - Let alone our fanbase.

People thought Madrid were crazy paying 90m for Ronaldo, yet their megastore sold 1.2 million 'Ronaldo 9' shirts in year 1 in Madrid alone.

FFP also has a shítload of loopholes and I'm sure Abramovich and Granovskaia have enough experience to make any possible deal financially sound.

Whether we would be better off signing 2-3 top players instead is another argument, however I think Messi would put the Chelsea brand into another league.

Messi is the greatest player ever.

Id love to have him but its not ever going happen unfortunately.

blue-army wrote: »
    I think people here are seriously underestimating the commercial value of signing Messi.

This guy could quite possibly go down as the greatest player to ever play the game. Having him in a Chelsea side will probably double our merchandise and sponsorship revenue almost overnight - Let alone our fanbase.

People thought Madrid were crazy paying 90m for Ronaldo, yet their megastore sold 1.2 million 'Ronaldo 9' shirts in year 1 in Madrid alone.

FFP also has a shítload of loopholes and I'm sure Abramovich and Granovskaia have enough experience to make any possible deal financially sound.

Whether we would be better off signing 2-3 top players instead is another argument, however I think Messi would put the Chelsea brand into another league.

Are clubs getting much from shirt sales, even if at the megastore beside the stadium? I thought the average is 5-10 euro per shirt in retail that goes to the club. Addidas would make 15, rest is tax and margins. At the megastore 20 might go to the club. 1,2M*20=20,4M, but probably half will be bought at the expense of Hazard Shirts, so not really a profit. Equally, I would expect Messi to want most of hid image right to go his way also.

I dunno, I'm sure people running the club are much more savvy at this than my back of the napkin calculation, but I am not convinced it would be a good deal financially. I'm open to correction, should someone have any references to actual figures.

I think Messi owns 100% of his image rights and it signed recently into one of his contracts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

It's probably not going to happen, but I don't think it's complete pipe dream either.

It's very strongly suggested that Chelsea were the unnamed team that bid for him last summer. I wouldn't put anything past Abramovich.

We can dream!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/could-lionel-messi-really-leave-barcelona-for-chelsea-or-manchester-city-its-not-out-of-the-question-9961348.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

messi and drogba seem to be going on holidays to turkey a lot though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Wouldn't bet against Messi going to Madrid. Don't forget there was no way in the world ever ever that Figo (if not the best certainly top 3 in the world at the time and an absolute Barca legend) was going to Madrid from Barca .... until he did of course.

Would get them off the Hazard course as well

Theres a 1,000,000% no chance of Mesi going to Madrid :eek:

We've a better chance than Real at this stage.

Also on a 6 year contract, it makes sense to make it as long as possible to spread the ffp cost.

So lets say he costs 200million and at least 250K a week net.

So over a year thats an on the books figure of £14million in basic wages and 32million in transfer cost so Messi costs FFP about £50million a year and thats on those wages which would be a reduction from his Barca wages.

:eek:

Wouldn't bet against Messi going to Madrid. Don't forget there was no way in the world ever ever that Figo (if not the best certainly top 3 in the world at the time and an absolute Barca legend) was going to Madrid from Barca .... until he did of course.

Would get them off the Hazard course as well

there would be a civil war if that happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Also on a 6 year contract, it makes sense to make it as long as possible to spread the ffp cost.

So over a year thats an on the books figure of £14million in basic wages and 32million in transfer cost so Messi costs FFP about £50million a year and thats on those wages which would be a reduction from his Barca wages.

They did the math on Sky sports news yesterday, reckoned in would cost 690m in total to get him with taxes etc

theballz wrote: »
    They did the math on Sky sports news yesterday, reckoned in would cost 690m in total to get him with taxes etc

Bargain.

We'll take two so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Bargain.

We'll take two so.

Realistically if he was going to the Prem it would be City, Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain worked with Messi during their Barca days and are believed to have a really good relationship with him.

Messi is also very good friends with Aguero and Zabaleta.

theballz wrote: »
    Realistically if he was going to the Prem it would be City, Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain worked with Messi during their Barca days and are believed to have a really good relationship with him.

Messi is also very good friends with Aguero and Zabaleta.

Given City have failed FFP already and any deal would require a club to fail FFP again I'm not so sure.

Both clubs can offer similar money so it comes down to where would ya rather live, Manchester or London.

No brainer really.

Also, it will never happen to City or Chelsea regardless.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

In non-silly season news, happy birthday Eden Hazard!

You're a day late Hulla :o

You dont care at all about poor Eden :pac:

British taxation system now better than the Spanish one for top earners so all is not what it seems there the take home is the important bit here. The Spanish taxation system has become quite tough since the crash. There has of course been allegations that players of Madrid are given a little more leeway than other when it comes to fiscal things as well, Messi's troubles with the tax man are well known.

Never under estimate the pull of money I reiterate there was absolutely no way Figo was going and he was every bit as big a star as Messi to Barca. The season he left Barca he won the Ballon d'Or so he was very much at the top of the world game and he also went for a world record fee. See any similarities there?

I think it is all posturing though they cant replace him in the physical sense due to the transfer ban he is going no where.

lewis baker gone on loan to shefield Wednesday hopefully he will get some game time

peteeeed wrote: »
    lewis baker gone on loan to shefield Wednesday hopefully he will get some game time

Todd Kane gone to Nottingham Forest as well. Good luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

peteeeed wrote: »

Will be good for him if he gets game time

Can see him breaking into the team in the next year or 2

• Advertisement

Todd Kane gone to Nottingham Forest as well. Good luck to him!

And apparently being funded by Skybet

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/01/08/alton-towers-respond-to-nottingham-forest-fan-who-mocked-new-che/?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You're a day late Hulla :o

You dont care at all about poor Eden :pac:

So I am. :o

I'm at 6s and 7s with this post-Christmas work business.

I was just trying to get away from the Messi chatter. I won't post fully as to why I believe this - I don't have the time! - but signing him would be a nightmarish situation for Chelsea. There would certainly be added benefits in terms of his quality, that's undeniable. It's the ancillary effects that would have me worried, ranging from squad (dis)harmony to finances.

The speculation is built upon an assumed deal over 6 years. First of all, 5.5 years is the max allowable under FA rules but apart from that, the man will be 28 in June. He's got about 1-2 seasons of playing at the top left. For me, he's no longer the best player in the world. He is past his prime. He is not worth the sums being bandied about and frankly, I don't think he warrants the wages he's on at present. He's always been liable to be anonymous in even big games but that has become an even more prominent feature of his game more recently. That's a combination of age and a lack of motivation. He's already achieved what can be achieved in football.

Anyway, afaic, it's madness. Complete and utter madness.

You never know with Roman but id prefer the big money spent on a stadium development or at the least a few players.

So I am. :o

I'm at 6s and 7s with this post-Christmas work business.

I was just trying to get away from the Messi chatter. I won't post fully as to why I believe this - I don't have the time! - but signing him would be a nightmarish situation for Chelsea. There would certainly be added benefits in terms of his quality, that's undeniable. It's the ancillary effects that would have me worried, ranging from squad (dis)harmony to finances.

The speculation is built upon an assumed deal over 6 years. First of all, 5.5 years is the max allowable under FA rules but apart from that, the man will be 28 in June. He's got about 1-2 seasons of playing at the top left. For me, he's no longer the best player in the world. He is past his prime. He is not worth the sums being bandied about and frankly, I don't think he warrants the wages he's on at present. He's always been liable to be anonymous in even big games but that has become an even more prominent feature of his game more recently. That's a combination of age and a lack of motivation. He's already achieved what can be achieved in football.

Anyway, afaic, it's madness. Complete and utter madness.

Is that true about the 5.5 year contract? Didn't Kompany get a 6 year deal at City?

The way I like at it, there is no way he'd be worth it at anywhere close to his release. But if he forced his way out and could be got for around the £100m mark, which in reality is probably closer to his real value, I'd consider it.

Tbh, I'd almost just love to see Messi work under Mourinho. His antics of the past wouldn't work, he'd have to come in work for the group just like everyone else. There is no way Jose would pander to him.

Couple of things though, if MEssi wnats out Barca will name their price and there'll be a small bit of wiggle room on it.

although with Thiago, cesc and Sanchez they valued the players less then what they were worth, I just cant see them doing it with Messi.

He has a reported buy out clause as long as he doesnt hand in a transfer request (which he wont as he'll miss out on bonuses) Barca wont move him along for anything short of an extraordinary world record bid.

Tbh I'd prefer Suarez (who we are also linked with)

Tbh I'd prefer Suarez (who we are also linked with)

Ah jaysus not him. :pac:

Honestly, I'd prefer Messi but because he could easily slot in as a #10.

Suarez is a CF and would be shoe horned out wide or be rotated with Costa.

Lets just blow our money on a CB.

CM

RW

Decent GK (if Cech leaves).

3rd choice CF if Bamford goes.

Thats my summer shopping list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

We should not be signing Messi, its simple as this: if it fails in anyway (imagine if he got injured even) then the club will be crippled like we were after signing Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

We should not be signing Messi, its simple as this: if it fails in anyway (imagine if he got injured even) then the club will be crippled like we were after signing Torres

But Torres did win us 2013 Europa league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement