Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We came for a draw and were very lucky to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Half the job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Score draw no injuries or suspensions.

Pleased.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Courtouis' best game in a Chelsea shirt. Save from Lallana at the end was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

1-1 is a good result despite the performance , should wrap it up next week at the Bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I suppose we came with a game plan and we got what we were looking for but I have to say I'm more than a little dissapointed with the performane.
    We're very lucky to get away with a draw, still think we're in the driving seat after it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

We played it like a classic mourinho away cup first leg really, gave them all the possession and made sure it's in our control at home. Not overly worried by the performance, willian, mikel and Ivan were poor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

only thing i hate is we made the poo! look better than they are

• Advertisement

Every team ups there games for us, can they do it 2 games in a row? remains to be seen, we havent lost to Liverpool in 6 games now.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    only thing i hate is we made the pool look better than they are,!

I’m sure they will be brought back to reality next week

Barr wrote: »
    I’m sure they will be brought back to reality next week

I honestly dont mind if we go out,it will grate a bit but the ultimate priority should be the league this year and the City game is miles more important than the LFC one.

Even if we get to the final I wont mind too much as its all about the league this year.

I want revenge on Spurs if we both get through !!!:pac:

I want revenge on Spurs if we both get through !!!:pac:

Ya theyve got the cake walk to the final.

It would be nice to get to an early final but not paramount, if we finish 2nd and only win the league cup, for arguments sake, it wont have been a good season IMO.

Absolutely no reason we can’t win both. We are a home tie away from the final in Wembley.

I think it’s too early in the season for the City game to be pivotal.

Jose wants silverware this season and I would be very surprised if we finish empty handed.

• Advertisement

Absolutely no reason we can’t win both. We are a home tie away from the final in Wembley.

Jose wants silverware this season and I would be very surprised if we finish empty handed.

I'd take 3 points against City over the Capital 1 cup any day of the week.

We have a slight advantage in the 2nd leg I suppose, being at home and it poised at 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Exactly, it is way too early to be worrying about City when you are well clear of them and there's plenty of games left. Just alot of people can use it as a cop out if they do not reach the final with bigger fish to fry and all that.

There's gona be CL games and big PL games within the next few weeks back to back, Jose will not want to make a call like last season where he abandoned his PL attack to concentrate on the CL and it backfired.

Attitude should be to go for every game, the squad is certainly big enough to cope.

If we go out liverpool will have deserved it, no problem there and theyll deserve to win it too.

Im just not hung up on the capital 1 cup and i think pool and spurs need it more. Both will finish top 6 but both will ultimately fall short of their goal of a top 4 finish.

For us it should be
    EpL
    UCL
    FA cup
    League cup

But im not too bothered with the fa cup either really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just saw Sterling's goal, very disappointed by the defending. Three of them nearby and all standing off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If we go out liverpool will have deserved it, no problem there and theyll deserve to win it too.

Im just not hung up on the capital 1 cup and i think pool and spurs need it more. Both will finish top 6 but both will ultimately fall short of their goal of a top 4 finish.

For us it should be
    EpL
    UCL
    FA cup
    League cup

But im not too bothered with the fa cup either really.

Jose obviously feels the need to be competing on all levels with the team he fielded tonight - and rightly so. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to winning things, could end up like last season and miss out on EPL/UCL/FA Cup all within a few weeks.

Can't see him making the same mistakes as last season though. Would be calamitous to lose the league from that position with nobody chasing that hard.

• Advertisement

Just saw Sterling's goal, very disappointed by the defending. Three of them nearby and all standing off him.

Cahill is the main issue again. He doesnt engage sterling quick enough you should never back off into your penalty area.

TBH i think the 7/8 million we paid was decent business but we should be getting rid of him for an upgrade or play zouma who will in time be better than cahill ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zouma is the future surely. Get him in the team now ahead of Cahill and it will mean he'll be a seasoned pro by the time Terry retires. Got to think ahead. You don't want a situation like United had with Vidic and Ferdinand getting old and useless and nobody behind them has had any game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Cahill is the main issue again. He doesnt engage sterling quick enough you should never back off into your penalty area.

TBH i think the 7/8 million we paid was decent business but we should be getting rid of him for an upgrade or play zouma who will in time be better than cahill ever was.

He looked so slow all night, really a liability.

He looked so slow all night, really a liability.

Jt carries him a lot in games, makes him look better than he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Every team ups there games for us, can they do it 2 games in a row? remains to be seen, we havent lost to Liverpool in 6 games now.

Swansea ?

greendom wrote: »
    Swansea ?

Different team and manager and we lost the first leg at home 2-0 thanks to gifts from Ivanovic.

Unless you're on about Swansea this year who left in 9 and scored 2 against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Different team and manager and we lost the first leg at home 2-0 thanks to gifts from Ivanovic.

Unless you're on about Swansea this year who left in 9 and scored 2 against us.

Just referring to your comment that every team ups their game against you. Not the case with Swansea on Saturday !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

We seem to be putting zouma on pedestal here, god help him if he slips up. What I've seen of happy has been great, but we've yet to see him rightly tested.

greendom wrote: »
    Just referring to your comment that every team ups their game against you. Not the case with Swansea on Saturday !

Ah, they were the architects of their own down fall, we played well enough to beat them by 7+ apart from p*ss poor finishing from Willian but they gifted us 2 goals at least.

Some teams have had their best games of the season against us recently, usually in front of their own fans so I wouldnt read too much into it, I expect us to win out at the Bridge.

Of the games I'm alluding to, Spurs, Newcastle, stick out, they were beaten at the Bridge before or since those results, Sunderland is another but theyre last game of the season is at the Bridge, they'll get rolled over too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I actually thought Cahill was playing really well till Sterlings goal. Think he thought he'd take another touch, but was left with egg on his face. Good goal by Sterling, mind.

Vintage Mourinho first leg performance to be honest. As he said, we only had 2 shots but had lots of chances at the edge of the box. We seem to take too long at the edge of the box and allowed Liverpool to get numbers back.

On another note, Cuadrado being linked with us. Would be a great signing imo.

• Advertisement

It was shocking from him not helped by Matic & Mikel. I don't know how Cahill manages to retreat towards the goal without making an effort to push Sterling wider at all, he actually didn't influence Sterling at all for the goal.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I actually thought Cahill was playing really well till Sterlings goal. Think he thought he'd take another touch, but was left with egg on his face. Good goal by Sterling, mind.

Vintage Mourinho first leg performance to be honest. As he said, we only had 2 shots but had lots of chances at the edge of the box. We seem to take too long at the edge of the box and allowed Liverpool to get numbers back.

On another note, Cuadrado being linked with us. Would be a great signing imo.

The real issue in the back line is pace, theres a real lack of it anywhere in their. JT has never been quick, hes combated that by dropping a yard or two and letting the CM's deal with runners busting a gut at him, if a guy gets up a head of steam he'll skip past JT easily, if JT is close and engaged when a guy tries to get up to speed he usually makes a good challenge or stands him up and waits for support.

The best option would be to play the much quicker Zouma and TBH, I'd prefer Zouma got game time while he can learn and play with JT, than bringing in another CB in the summer and trying to blend Zouma next year or throughout next years season, unless of course that CB is Varane but theres not a snowballs chance in hell Real will sell him, despite what the rags are spouting.

I'd take Cuadrado, hes not had a great season in Italy but could be a decent player for us. Some if the twitter heads were saying Marin left Fiorentina so we can buy Cuadrado and also loan them Salah as theyed prefer Salah to Marin, could be waffle but Marin has gone on loan to Anderlecht in the last few days.

Also Rob Beasley reckons we'll see at least 1 signing during this window.

It was shocking from him not helped by Matic & Mikel. I don't know how Cahill manages to retreat towards the goal without making an effort to push Sterling wider at all, he actually didn't influence Sterling at all for the goal.

It was a good goal but its not very often a player runs through the centre of the midfield against us, mikel or matic have to do better in stopping the CBs been exposed.

i thought mikel was poor both when he had the ball and his tackling . matic cant do it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jesus I just saw a gif of Sterling's goal, Cahill was shocking!!!

Mikel Willian and Cahill were the main culprits for me, between Mikel and Willian they gave possession away far too often. Also thought Liverpool did well stopping our usual goalkick strategy of lumping it to Ivan, Sakho came out of defense a couple of times to come and win it...

Mikel Willian and Cahill were the main culprits for me, between Mikel and Willian they gave possession away far too often. Also thought Liverpool did well stopping our usual goalkick strategy of lumping it to Ivan, Sakho came out of defense a couple of times to come and win it...

agreed , willian was sh!te too

Well we'll need a good performance to see past Pool next Wednesday, TBH, I'm confident we'll do it.

We're scoring enough at home to suggest we can do it, any score draw over 1-1 sends Pool through, as well as a Pool win, naturally.

Theyve a good shot of going through from this tie so its far from over.

I cant see it finishing 0-0 after 120mins so our away goal doesnt count for much TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

From what I know away goals only count in extra time and if the score is 3-3 or higher .

• Advertisement

From what I know away goals only count in extra time and if the score is 3-3 or higher .

Youre right about away goals only counting in ET.

So if the game finish 0-0 after 90mins and 120mins we go through on away goals.

If it finishes 1-1 after 90mins and 120mins we go to penalties.

If it finishes 2-2 or any score draw over this after 90mins & 120mins, Pool go through on away goals.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Liverpool actually managed to split Mikel and Matic up quite well but that was because Mikel was playing man-marking when, imo, he should have been zonal. Through-ball from Henderson never should have happened and Cahill should have stepped up immediately when Sterling got near it.

Couldn't really care less though because overall, a 1-1 at Anfield when Liverpool are playing well is good enough and sure it's the coca cola cup anyway.

Liverpool were the better side, they deserved to win the game but found Courtois in excellent form.

It would be nice to get to the final but if we play like that again next week we wont be going to Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mikel was awful all night. I know Cahill f*cked up for the goal but he had zero protection from Mikel, it probably would still have resulted in a goal if Cahill had got tighter to Sterling, I feel with his pace he probably would have turned him anyways.

It set the tone for the whole night, our players didn't take ownership. We stood off far too much, allowing tricky players to run at our CB's far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

peteeeed wrote: »
    agreed , willian was sh!te too

Willian was awful.

Fills me with dread sometimes seeing him in the final 3rd. I reckon his pass completion must be under 50% when he is in advanced areas, a headless chicken.

From what I gathered we gave away the ball far to often and made the wrong decisions at key moments.

We'll be a different beast at the Bridge regardless, I'm confident we'll score and if they try to go toe to toe with us we should have more than enough to beat them.

It'll be a good game regardless, gutted I'll be missing it again.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Willian was awful.

Fills me with dread sometimes seeing him in the final 3rd. I reckon his pass completion must be under 50% when he is in advanced areas, a headless chicken.

I think weve said it a few times, for a 30million plyaer his numbers are truly shocking, f**k all goals and f**k all assists.

Yes he breaks his bollocks off tracking back and hurrying people but if thats all Jose wants give me 6 months and I'll start next season for a fraction of his wages and manage the same job.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

http://bit.ly/1um2iq4

I know Sigurdsson plays more centrally but he's valued under £10m.

I like Willian's energy but he's not producing where it's most needed. At the moment, we're relying on one player for assists. Even Hazard's season assists aren't good enough right now, imo.

We know willian doesnt offer to much attacking play but I wouldnt be looking at Sigurdsson to replace IMO.

We need genuine quality, if it means we have to sale Schurrle, Salah, Moses, Marin to bring it up to 40million, that would buy you a fine RW to replace/bench Willian.

Who do we want to play in the final, assuming we get there, Spurs?

For some venegance :pac: although a stroll in the park against Sheff Utd would be nice too.

Just play Drogba and we'll be sorted given his Wembley record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Who do we want to play in the final, assuming we get there, Spurs?

For some venegance :pac: although a stroll in the park against Sheff Utd would be nice too.

Just play Drogba and we'll be sorted given his Wembley record.

Win win really, getting to thump Spurs would be great, but Sheffield United means no nerves going into it!

Sky Sources saying were talking to Fiorentina about Cuadrado. Would love to see him here. Would really hug the touchline, excellent defensively and is a very very good crosser of the ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement