Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Forgot Mikel too actually.

that can happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Right now we've only 3 players left that started the UCL Final against Bayern, 5 out of the 18 man squad left. :eek:

Online thanks available for anyone that can name the 5.

I struggled with the 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cech, Cahill, Bertrand started. Romeu and Torres on the bench. :P

Right now we've only 3 players left that started the UCL Final against Bayern, 5 out of the 18 man squad left. :eek:

Online thanks available for anyone that can name the 5.

I struggled with the 5th.

mikel, cahill,, ivan, torres , cech still on the books Oriol Romeu, bertrand

Oh and Mikel. :pac:

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

:pac:

6 :o

Ivan was suspended but I had forgotten about Bertrand.

Johner wrote: »

poor ivan , forgot about that, that guys head could have got taken off his shoulders

6 :o

Ivan was suspended but I had forgotten about Bertrand.

and still sturridge didn't make the starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Actually who will be our captains the year after next? Cech, Cole, Lamps, Terry and Ivanovic will all be gone by then I would imagine... Cahill could step up but not sure who after that really? Maybe Azpi? He's certainly got the fire in the belly for it anyway!

• Advertisement

and still sturridge didn't make the starting 11

Or Torres or even more sensible, Malouda on the left but it worked out anyway. :D
    Actually who will be our captains the year after next? Cech, Cole, Lamps, Terry and Ivanovic will all be gone by then I would imagine... Cahill could step up but not sure who after that really? Maybe Azpi? He's certainly got the fire in the belly for it anyway!

Long term, I'm thinking Azp, Hazard, maybe even Zouma too, lad is only 19 and a huge talent.

6 ' 3, quick, strong and a decent defender for his age, we're sorted at CB for a long time anyway.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

In all honesty, I reckon Cesc is most likely once the last of the old guard are out.

It's difficult to tell now with the young lads in the squad which of them might have leadership qualities.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Oh yeah, then there's Matic. I'd say he's the front runner out of the young lads for me.

Who was captain for the U21s last season? Swift was it?

Cesc as captain wouldnt go down to well in North London, leading out Chelsea at the Emirates.

Where the hell is Costa. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

There could be something in this the lad did have an excellent world cup

http://africanfootball.com//news/436210/Chelsea-now-to-give-Omeruo-big-break?

Could be why Kalas was allowed another season on loan as JT really is approaching the end

Cesc as captain wouldnt go down to well in North London, leading out Chelsea at the Emirates.

soc_g_josemts_576.jpg

There could be something in this the lad did have an excellent world cup

http://africanfootball.com//news/436210/Chelsea-now-to-give-Omeruo-big-break?

Could be why Kalas was allowed another season on loan as JT really is approaching the end

Either himself or Zouma will be loaned out this year and the other kept as back up I'd assume.

We probably wont know until towards the end of August and pre-season is over.

Apparently Filipe Luis is trying to force a move, wants to join us but we are reluctant to meet the buy out clause of €24(£19) million and hoping to get him cheaper.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/485888/Chelsea-target-Filipe-Luis-rejects-Atletico-talks-to-force-Stamford-Bridge-move

Either himself or Zouma will be loaned out this year and the other kept as back up I'd assume.

We probably wont know until towards the end of August and pre-season is over.

Not sure myself currently we have JT, Cahill, Ivan, and Dave as recognised first team defenders. Now we have Zouma arriving and a LB I am sure, we may hold onto PVA or Ryan. That being the case we are too short by far with 7 defenders for a nigh on 60+ game campaign.

• Advertisement

Havent Atletico already signed a new GK, LB and CF.

It maybe a case of waiting to agree a fee but I cant imagine Atletico are happy losing 3 players to Chelsea and Courtois too.

Not sure myself currently we have JT, Cahill, Ivan, and Dave as recognised first team defenders. Now we have Zouma arriving and a LB I am sure, we may hold onto PVA or Ryan. That being the case we are too short by far with 7 defenders for a nigh on 60+ game campaign.

We could always say

RB : Dave, Ivan
    CB : JT, Cahill, Zouma, Omerou
    LB : PVA, New LB

Ivan can cover across the back four, Azp can play both FB roles and we've youth options too for CB if we suffer a crisis.

Thats better defensive cover than we had last year TBH.

Havent Atletico already signed a new GK, LB and CF.

It maybe a case of waiting to agree a fee but I cant imagine Atletico are happy losing 3 players to Chelsea and Courtois too.

Yeah they signed a replacement left back for Luis in Guilherme Siqueira. I'd say it's just a matter of time before we announce Costa and Luis. I really think we are getting one of the best left backs in the world if we get Luis.

Yeah they signed a replacement left back for Luis in Guilherme Siqueira. I'd say it's just a matter of time before we announce Costa and Luis. I really think we are getting one of the best left backs in the world if we get Luis.

Its very short term but if we win trophies in that period, so be it.

We'll have to spend to replace Luis in 4/5 years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

But we've let the best LB over the past decade walk on without not so much as a "howdoyado!"... And that's not right in my eyes.
    Wahhhh!:mad:
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Luis will be 29 before the season even starts

Techless wrote: »
    Luis will be 29 before the season even starts

That my main gripe, we're going to be spending close to, if not 20million on a 29 year old.

We'll probably give him a 4/5 year deal, lets say 5, at about 80-100k a week, so we'll say 100k.

His FFP cost per annum over the length of his deal is about 9 million which isnt great TBH.

He's also world class. I think Shaw would have turned out to be a great long term signing if we had got him but it still would have been a big risk. £19 million is a good chunk to be spending on a left back who's 28 but he's the best possible left back we could sign at the moment. A back line of,

Courtois
    Azpili Terry Cahill Luis

That would be the best back 5 in the league, Luis is also very good going forward. Wages would be about £70k - £80k I'd imagine.

He's also world class. I think Shaw would have turned out to be a great long term signing if we had got him but it still would have been a big risk. £19 million is a good chunk to be spending on a left back who's 28 but he's the best possible left back we could sign at the moment. A back line of,

Courtois
    Azpili Terry Cahill Luis

That would be the best back 5 in the league, Luis is also very good going forward. Wages would be about £70k - £80k I'd imagine.

Even without Luis we've the best back 5 in the league and thats before we add Courtois and Luis. :cool:

• Advertisement

Even without Luis we've the best back 5 in the league and thats before we add Courtois and Luis. :cool:

True. :cool: Really looking forward to the season, hopefully we get the deals wrapped up soon.

True. :cool: Really looking forward to the season, hopefully we get the deals wrapped up soon.

Ya, pre-season starts next week so everyone bar those involved in the WC right now should be back with us and raring to go, its vital to get a good pre-season and to have everyone up to speed ASAP.

We could always say

RB : Dave, Ivan
    CB : JT, Cahill, Zouma, Omerou
    LB : PVA, New LB

Ivan can cover across the back four, Azp can play both FB roles and we've youth options too for CB if we suffer a crisis.

Thats better defensive cover than we had last year TBH.

Exactly that is why I dont think we can let either of Zouma or Omerou out on loan, I know Ivan started as a CB but he is a long way from convincing. Decent enough emergency cover but no more for me.

Being very generous to Man United they have paid ST£30m for Shaw lets assume they get 14 years out of him that is ST£2.14m p.a. also assume on average they pay him ST£150k p.w. that amounts to ST£7.8m p.a. so from a FFP aspect he will be in and around ST£10m a season so why is Luis so bad at ST£9m I dont get that.

I'd prefer if we brought in a younger, good LB TBH.

Its just kicking the can down the road, sure we'll ahev LB sorted for a few years but we'll have to replace Luis sooner rather than later.

On the other hand Luis is a well established LB regarded as one of the best in Europe, Shaw is a young full back with potential who could go either way. Still costs the same from a FFP aspect and now we have a few years (assuming Luis signs) to address the problem or see PVA or Ryan come through.

Have faith as TSHO works in mysterious ways his wonderful work to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd prefer if we brought in a younger, good LB TBH.

Its just kicking the can down the road, sure we'll ahev LB sorted for a few years but we'll have to replace Luis sooner rather than later.

I like the look of Ricardo Rodriguez, i think he was the highest rated LB in Europe last season, according to whoscored. Be a far better investment than Luis, and be cheaper than Shaw would have been. I just hope he doesn't do too well against Argentina now and send his price through the roof

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Finally. :)

The main justification for opting for Luis over a younger full back for me is that we're looking to get back into serious contention for trophies next season. Last season was a stop-gap season in all honesty. None of us really bought the little horse stuff but TSHO was right in saying that the team was incomplete. Eto'o was an emergency signing after the move for Rooney flopped. (Just to go on record, I think Rooney would work well for us but he's another player that would need to be replaced sooner than later.)

By signing Luis, we know we are getting one of the world's best LBs and that means we're back in business in time for the new season. I don't know how much he'll cost but the figure seems to drop every time I look at twitter so I'd expect it will be in or around €15m. Even if it's up as high as €19m, I think that's justified for a player who can give us a few years of security at LB. Dave can go off to RB and we have very good backup with Ivan on the bench.

By the time Luis has to move on or gets dropped, hopefully our youth setup will provide us with a decent option. I reckon PVA is probably not going to break into the starting XI at this stage but he could be there or thereabouts in 2-3 seasons if we can get him loaned to another PL team. He had a good run at Vitesse last season - 67 starts according to wikipedia but he needs to get the PL experience imo.

Let's face it, the world isn't exactly brimming with talented LBs at the moment so there is a premium on them either way.

I said by 3pm it would be announced, i was close :pac:

I like the look of Ricardo Rodriguez, i think he was the highest rated LB in Europe last season, according to whoscored. Be a far better investment than Luis, and be cheaper than Shaw would have been. I just hope he doesn't do too well against Argentina now and send his price through the roof

Rodriguez looks promising alright so in terms of long term signings he'd be ideal IMO

• Advertisement

Glad we didn't go for Rickie Lambert in the end lads.

Glad we didn't go for Rickie Lambert in the end lads.

Now we need to keep lukaku :)

Lukaku dropped for Belgium tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    let's hope he tears the league up

Dropped for the last 16 and Costa signed an hour ago,Lukaku will have a meltdown :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Glad the transfer business seems to be getting done nice and quick, giving the new guys as much of a pre-season with the squad as possible.

If Costa doesn't work out I don't know what the hell we're gonna do :pac:

Crackle wrote: »
    Glad the transfer business seems to be getting done nice and quick, giving the new guys as much of a pre-season with the squad as possible.

If Costa doesn't work out I don't know what the hell we're gonna do :pac:

Messi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Great news! Costa fills the most important immediate gap. And with him and Fabregas as marquee signings, there's less pressure and greater scope for signing others to fill lesser gaps and build for the future.

We're building a good squad with great depth capable of challenging for all major honours. Also with players like Matic and Salah already in the squad since January, and with Schurrle coming on nicely last season, developing cohesion won't be a major challenge like it's going to be for Van Gaal.

Even if we hold on to Mikel and Ramires, we can expect to upgrade on them a year from now. I hope we do.

Lukaku is the main conundrum. I'm sure Jose knows if he wants him or not, and why. My guess is he might not want Lukaku whining about the place and may just decide to move him on. I think he might have made that decision after the Bayern match.

Rodriguez has played well today he should be a long term option.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement