Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Crackle wrote: »
    If Costa doesn't work out I don't know what the hell we're gonna do :pac:

Bah, we've coped before with shyt strikers...and we'll do it again, yeeeowww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Come on Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Really surprised Chelsea didn't shell out for Shaw. Guy in work is adament he wanted Chelsea and word among Southampton fans according to him is Shaw was disappointed Chelsea didn't come in for him. Supposedly they never showed any interest.

Really surprised Chelsea didn't shell out for Shaw. Guy in work is adament he wanted Chelsea and word among Southampton fans according to him is Shaw was disappointed Chelsea didn't come in for him. Supposedly they never showed any interest.

I suppose weve bigger fish to fry in CM and CF.

Weve 2 ok LBs coming back from loans so our need isnt as great as Utds but even if we paid that money id be reluctant, -i think shaw will be excellent but we had more pressing needs this summer.

Had he stayed at S'pton we'd probably have been in for him next year, Azp is more than capable and id rather not spend nearly 15-20m on a 29year old we need a long term option.

Id imagine Shaw might have been disappointed but if we werent in for him i dont think he'd mind. Hes going to have a big career at Utd anyway even if hes a Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Great work by hazard there.

Thank christ we sold De Bruyne

And for a profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

For the money Southampton wanted I think Chelsea knew better. United were desperate to make a statement after being embarrassed in the league and the transfer market last season so they were willing to overpay a ridiculous amount.

Lukker- wrote: »
    For the money Southampton wanted I think Chelsea knew better. United were desperate to make a statement after being embarrassed in the league and the transfer market last season so they were willing to overpay a ridiculous amount.

Think it was a good investment by Utd but as I said we desperately needed a CF and a CM too so we spent about 60million there another 30 on an 18year old LB wasnt what we needed really. Weve Dave and PVA and Bertie for LB as it stands so we're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We'll have Filipe Luis soon as well. ;)

Word on the street was that the Courtois loan fee went towards the costa tax so there was no spanish government tax added on, that we paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Word on the street was that the Courtois loan fee went towards the costa tax so there was no spanish government tax added on, that we paid.

Good piece on that in WAGNH apparently if you pay the release fee can be up to 52% tax as the player has to pay it not the purchasing club.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/7/1/5861484/how-the-wording-of-the-diego-costa-deal-could-save-chelsea-10m?

Belgium are missing some chances.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Belgium are missing some chances.

Ya mirallis and origi have missed relative sitters.

Outclassing the states but need to make it count, extra time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hope it goes to penalties so Courtois can save every one of them. :pac:

Is that vertingen throwing up?

Thats why we need to keep lukaku hes changed the game with his pace and power.

Hazard linking well

Well done Lukaku

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Thats why we need to keep lukaku hes changed the game with his pace and power.

The Americans are knackered. Sub me on at this stage and I could change the game.

I like Lukaku but lets not get carried away.

The Americans are knackered. Sub me on at this stage and I could change the game.

I like Lukaku but lets not get carried away.

Lets not get carried away youd do f**k all.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hopefully Wilmots sticks with Hazard at 10 behind Lukaku to give the lad a few more chances. Had his first shot of the WC tonight. Managed to get three or four on target in the end.

There's a few gaping liabilities in that Belgian team at the moment so I'd hesitate to back them against Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

:D:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

You should card yourself for that one Gav. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i never doubted you lukaku :)

You should card yourself for that one Gav. :pac:

T'was maybe a bit harsh and it probably deserved a smiley but was on the mobile so wasnt arsed, anyway, if you're a professional footballer I've no doubt you'd do a job, otherwise, you're only kidding yourself :D

peteeeed wrote: »
    i never doubted you lukaku :)

Imagine a team parking the bus this coming season and Lukaku comes on and has that influence?

Thats what we need from both Costa and Lukaku, the ability to come on and change the result.

I thought Courtois save at the end was very good but he could have done better with the goal but I'm not sure he expected Green to shank his shot.

Hazard was ok, he occupies players so space is available for others thats always a plus point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Is it inevitable that we'll sell Lukaku?

I'd love to think we'd give him his chance this year but I dont see it, we'd have been talking him up in the press all summer if that was the case!

KDB has been sensational in all Belgiums qualifying and he's been brilliant in the tournament now too, we should have loaned him again instead of selling, it was such a waste...

I wonder seen as he's gone to a relatively small club could we have inserted any clauses to bring him back some day?

• Advertisement

KDB came to life in extra time but before that he was poor, he took his goal well and setup Lukaku perfectly but for the 100mins before that he was largely disappointing.

His main problem leaving us was he didnt want to wait and work for his chance, he was starting gamesearlier in the season so the talent was there its the attitude that lacks, IMO.

I think you could say the same about Lukaku and unless he wants to stay he'll be off after the WC, if I'm being honest I fully expect us to sell Lukaku but once its not to a EPL team I'll be ok with it.

It'll leave us needing another Cf though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

KDB came to life in extra time but before that he was poor, he took his goal well and setup Lukaku perfectly but for the 100mins before that he was largely disappointing.

His main problem leaving us was he didnt want to wait and work for his chance, he was starting gamesearlier in the season so the talent was there its the attitude that lacks, IMO.

I think you could say the same about Lukaku and unless he wants to stay he'll be off after the WC, if I'm being honest I fully expect us to sell Lukaku but once its not to a EPL team I'll be ok with it.

It'll leave us needing another Cf though.

De Bruyne will go on to be a fantastic player IMO. He was Belgium's top scorer and had the most assists in qualifying. He needs the team to be setup for him though, I don't think he would have developed while playing a supporting role at Chelsea.

Hopefully Lukaku will learn something from KDB, dont forget last season KDB started the season in the first team. He was at best inconsistent and was dropped but instead of putting the head down and working he bitched about it. If TSHO started him he obviously liked what he saw in pre season but you have to have the right attitude to go with that. It was noticeable when it was clear he was up for sale none of the big European teams came in for him so instead he has become a big fish in the little pond that is Wolfsburg. Last night he was woeful for 100 minutes as Gav suggested then came alive against tiring defenders, most games last 90 minutes kudos for fitness but not much else.

Lukaku needs to learn from this Chelsea are a big club to start here you have to be a big time player and work hard, look at the example set last season by Schurrle. If he wants to succeed he can do it at Chelsea but he needs to lose the attitude, getting dropped for a knock out World Cup match when the biggest threat to his position is not even there through injury suggests he thinks he is better than he is and has a God given right to a starting place. If that is the case let him off, if not he potentially is a fantastic player.

I thought Courtois save at the end was very good but he could have done better with the goal but I'm not sure he expected Green to shank his shot.

Hazard was ok, he occupies players so space is available for others thats always a plus point.

i think the fact yer man kind of shanked it made it hard for courtois , i'll let him off that one

peteeeed wrote: »
    i think the fact yer man kind of shanked it made it hard for courtois , i'll let him off that one

Ya it did, I wouldnt really blame him but you can see why and how he could have done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

It was noticeable when it was clear he was up for sale none of the big European teams came in for him so instead he has become a big fish in the little pond that is Wolfsburg.

I did notice this also at the time and wondered why noone else took a chance on him, I didn't see any attitude from him while he was working his ass off for Werder on loan. I think we should have forced him to stick out the rest of the season with us and he might have turned a corner, he still had plenty of time on his deal, I would have kept him.

Likewise I wonder how much is being made of Lukakus attitude problems when I didn't see any of it in the last 2 years when he was banging in the goals for West Brom & Everton. Some of his comments in the press leave me scratching my head alright about getting chances and Chelsea signing new strikers, but again force him to stay for a year and see if the cream rises to the top.

read a couple of reports that tiago is to play for 1 season then move on to the coaching staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3941353

Never forget that performance against Barça at the bridge in 2006 ...

LanceStorm wrote: »
    I did notice this also at the time and wondered why noone else took a chance on him, I didn't see any attitude from him while he was working his ass off for Werder on loan. I think we should have forced him to stick out the rest of the season with us and he might have turned a corner, he still had plenty of time on his deal, I would have kept him.

Likewise I wonder how much is being made of Lukakus attitude problems when I didn't see any of it in the last 2 years when he was banging in the goals for West Brom & Everton. Some of his comments in the press leave me scratching my head alright about getting chances and Chelsea signing new strikers, but again force him to stay for a year and see if the cream rises to the top.

Yea for me they are fine when everything is honky dorey they are playing ok/well and holding their place in the side. It is when things go wrong, and even the very best players have barren spells, there seems to be an issue. I was disappointed with Lukaku's attitude to missing the final penalty in the game with Munich in the Super Cup it was almost as if he wanted to run away.

KDB did have loads of time but I just wonder did the powers that be see a flaw which would stop him developing they way the want, because you are quite right at times for Bremen he looked real class.

• Advertisement

So..................have we signed Pogba yet? :D

Whatever way you want to look at the kdb transfer it is a great bit of business and that coupled with the mata and luiz deals have lead us to be less unrestricted in terms of ffp, we simply cannot afford to let a valuable asset like kdb run down his contract anymore and leave for fück all because he's only 1 year left or worse leave for free!
    I don't doubt he'll turn out to be good but I was pretty unimpressed with him last night, I know he scored but he and Belgium missed scores of chances and in fairness an energetic lukaku running the bolloxèd defence ragged was the difference in the end. Howard set the record for saves made in a World Cup game last night.

So..................have we signed Pogba yet? :D

Yep just announced on the web site. ;)

also on giving Lukaku and Courtois a season, theyve only 2 years on their deals left, if they dont sign soonish I'd be worried.

although Cech has only 2 years on his deal too so one or the other has to go for maximum value.

Lukaku I'd keep at all costs the guy is already a very good player and will improve but does he want to?

His main gripe last year was being 3rd choice, this year hes at the lowest, 2nd choice, a lot more chances for him to strut his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Yep just announced on the web site. ;)

I actually checked! tsk :p

duploelabs wrote: »
    I actually checked! tsk :p

:eek:

Ya big eejit :pac: the place would be going mad if we signed Pogba.

One can dream I suppose.

• Advertisement

So lets play Football Manager for a moment.

Our best, current 18 is probably

Courtois
    Ivan
    JT
    Cahill
    Azp
    Matic
    Cesc
    Willian
    Oscar
    Hazard
    Costa

Subs:
    Cech
    Omerou
    PVA
    Mikel
    Schurrle
    Salah
    Lukaku

So do we go 4-3-3 with Oscar, Cesc and Matic

or do we go 4-2-3-1, with Matic being the anchor man and breaking up play and sitting back and cesc going further forward.

I'd prefer 4-2-3-1 TBH it gives us great potential but we could see Jose drop Oscar for Cesc in the 4-2-3-1 easily.

Its exciting nonetheless and we look likely to add a LB.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Who plays No. 10? I would prefer to see Hazard in a false 9 or No. 10 role but where does that leave Oscar? I think he's got to play a little deeper alongside Cesc with Matic in behind those two. Alternate Oscar and Cesc as advanced playmakers with one sitting back to cover. Both capable of creating and helping Matic break up an attack if needs be. That would be essentially 4-3-3 but 4-1-2-3 if you want to split hairs.

It's just my opinion but I'd not be so sure of starting Willian ahead of Schurrle either. I think Schurrle is far more dangerous in attack and can pop up to score from seemingly anywhere whereas Willian seems to lose his nerve close to goal. Yes, he's got great energy and pace but I'd prefer to be have Schurrle starting, especially against teams that bed in deep.

I also wouldn't complain if we started with a 4-4-2 once in a while:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=3dx68

Edit: Matic shouldn't appear under Oscar there but I can't seem to change it.

Edit 2: nope, 4-4-2 isn't going to work. Toys out of pram. It might work against Kidderminster.

Simple lets go back to a classic 4-2-4

Courtios
    Ivan
    Cahill---JT---Azp

Matic--Cesc
    Hazard--Costa--Lukaku--Schurrle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GK Couirtois/Cech.
    RB Ivan.
    CB Cahill.
    CB Jt.
    LB Azpi.
    CM Matic.
    CM Cesc.
    AM Willy.
    AM Oscar.
    AM Hazard.
    CF Costa.

That system is good IMO as long as Fabregas can be disciplined in that CM role beside Matic. We will have Willian, Oscar and Hazard as 3 offensive midfielders so Fabregas cant really be another gung-ho midfielder if we are to play this 4-2-3-1 shape.. Im not sure thats Cesc's game to be honest. Although against weaker sides (especially at home) I see no reason not to do this, I think at times in previous years we've been guilty of playing too many defensive minded midfielders in some games where they weren't needed.

GK Couirtois/Cech.
    RB Ivan.
    CB Cahill.
    CB JT.
    LB Azpi.
    CDM Matic.
    CM Ramires/Oscar.
    CM Cesc.
    RW Willy.
    LW Hazard.
    CF Costa.

Id prefer this 4-3-3 if it was me picking the team. I know it means Oscar probably misses out, but we've just signed Cesc for close to £30million so I want to see him used in his proper position (a CM role that allows him to push forward a lot). This should be our system for the big games IMO as it should allow us to have a greater control of midfield surely with 2 very good ball playing midfielders in Matic and Cesc. Keeping quality possession is where Ramires has been letting us down and id prefer if he was out of the side completely but I dont see it happening.

Sign a LB and the best defence in the country gets better.

As long as the forwards 4/5 do their business we'll be sorted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement