Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

peteeeed wrote: »
    Retweeted by Thibaut Courtois
    Filipe Luís ‏@FilipeLuis03 21m
    Han sido unos años inolvidables. Gracias por apoyarme siempre atléticos, GRACIAS DE CORAZÓN. A las 16.30 me despido en una rueda de prensa.

"It's been a memorable year Thanks for supporting me always athletic, THANKS A HEART 16.30 I leave in a press conference..."

He's not leaving in a press conference, he's saying good-bye in one !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So the complete squad more or less in place before the pre season tour and with as much of a pre season as you can get with a world cup on. Nice to see us being professional in all aspects of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

So the complete squad more or less in place before the pre season tour and with as much of a pre season as you can get with a world cup on. Nice to see us being professional in all aspects of the club.

Pogba can follow them over. :pac:

Pre season in Austria at the start so only a short spin up from Turin.

Obligatory youtube video for Filipe Luis,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So we've now got in place

Courtois
    Azp Cahill JT Luis
    Matic Cesc
    Schurrle Oscar Hazard
    Costa

Only questionnable inclusion in that squad is Oscar, IMO. Cesc could take his place and Ramries next to Matic or the dream would be Pogba but thats highly unlikely.

Otherwise its a good starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

GavRedKing wrote: »

Courtois
    Azp Cahill JT Luis
    Matic Cesc
    Schurrle Oscar Hazard
    Costa

Only questionnable inclusion in that squad is Oscar, IMO. Cesc could take his place and Ramries next to Matic or the dream would be Pogba but thats highly unlikely.

willian/scurrle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I've watched a good bit of Felipe Luis and I can tell you he is a quality left-back.

He reminds me a bit of Ashley Cole actually in that he will get forward and stretch the play as you would want your left-back to do, but is far from a mug when it comes from the defensive side of his game. There will be few wingers who get the best of him. He is very solid. Cole at his peak was a better final third player though, maybe a more skilled footballer in general.

He was a big part of that Atleti side that had that really intense, aggressive (in a good way) pressing, so I doubt he'd have a problem adjusting to the pace and physicality of the Premier League.

If he reproduces the form he has shown for the last couple of seasons he will be the best left-full in the league in my opinion.

Only thing I would say is that £20m is a fairly hefty fee for a 29 year-old left-back. But then again Chelsea have the luxury of not really having to worry about things like sell-on value etc..., so from a purely footballing perspective you'd have to be pleased to get a player of his quality in. He should still have another few years left at his peak

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    willian/scurrle

Given whos had the better WC and who offers more of a goal threat I'd say Schurrle should start the season on one of the wings.

Hell i'd even play with

Matic Cesc
    Willian Hazard Schurrle

GavRedKing wrote: »

Courtois
    Azp Cahill JT Luis
    Matic Cesc
    Schurrle Oscar Hazard
    Costa

With Salah, Zouma, Ram, Petr, Willian, Ivan, MvG, Nando & Lukaku fighting it out for 7 bench spots bit of depth as well.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I've watched a good bit of Felipe Luis and I can tell you he is a quality left-back.

He reminds me a bit of Ashley Cole actually in that he will get forward and stretch the play as you would want your left-back to do, but is far from a mug when it comes from the defensive side of his game. There will be few wingers who get the best of him. He is very solid. Cole at his peak was a better final third player though, maybe a more skilled footballer in general.

He was a big part of that Atleti side that had that really intense, aggressive (in a good way) pressing, so I doubt he'd have a problem adjusting to the pace and physicality of the Premier League.

If he reproduces the form he has shown for the last couple of seasons he will be the best left-full in the league in my opinion.

Only thing I would say is that £20m is a fairly hefty fee for a 29 year-old left-back. But then again Chelsea have the luxury of not really having to worry about things like sell-on value etc..., so from a purely footballing perspective you'd have to be pleased to get a player of his quality in. He should still have another few years left at his peak

His age split a few hairs in here, I'd have prefererd in going for Shaw or Rodriguez but I can see the logic in getting in a ready made player in Luis to play straight away and add to the team.

JT is getting close to the end we need to start looking at CB this season assuming it will be Zouma and Kalas going forward, no point having an inexperienced LB as well. In 3 years time RB & CB will be settled so we can go looking for a new LB then.

I for one welcome our new LB overlord :pac::pac:

JT is getting close to the end we need to start looking at CB this season assuming it will be Zouma and Kalas going forward, no point having an inexperienced LB as well. In 3 years time RB & CB will be settled so we can go looking for a new LB then.

I for one welcome our new LB overlord :pac::pac:

JTs going to have to perform very well again this year to get a deal, maybe if he drops his wage demands he'll get a nother deal regardless of age/perforamnce as hes our leader but with Zouma/Kalas we're sorted.

Ivanovic doesnt have long left either, hes 30 now and I cant see him getting kept on for another 2 years.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As I said previously, the logic behind signing Luis is to get the team trophies now. It could be called short-sighted but it is a must for Mourinho to win something next season. The benchmark for us isn't being as good or better than our rivals were last season, it's being better than them next season. With ready-made players, it's easier to shape the team.

We also have form for signing older players. Makelele and Zola were 30 when they signed for us.

Also, the fee is being reported at €20m, which would be around £16m. I'm open to correction on that because I've seen nothing official, just what's doing the rounds on twitter etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lads we have some squad in place at the moment... we really have to win either the league or Champions League this season now, anything else is unacceptable IMO.

I think its fair to say that our season will more than likely hinge on Diego Costa's form. If the Diego Costa of Athletico Madrid in La Liga shows up for us, then we are favourites for the title surely, but if its the Diego Costa from Spain's World Cup campaign that shows up then we are going to struggle a little unless Lukaku can bail us out. I trust Jose though, I trust that he wouldnt have made a big signing like that if he wasnt sure of it. He knew that was the main position to be strengthened and I dont think he'd have brought in Costa (or anyone in that position) without being totally sure he was going to be a right fit for us.

It really is a defining season for Jose Mourinho now. Fail and the doubters will be out in force.

We still need Progba.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

so long Ba and thanks for making such a world wide joke of the reds and Gerrard in particular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Would we be happy if there were no more signings for the summer, with Fabregas, Costa and Luis wrapped up?

Hard not to be a little bit excited with talks of Pogba, though realistically it has a slim chance of happening - but even without our squad looks pretty strong. Are we linked with anyone else (realistically)?

abelard wrote: »
    Would we be happy if there were no more signings for the summer, with Fabregas, Costa and Luis wrapped up?

Hard not to be a little bit excited with talks of Pogba, though realistically it has a slim chance of happening - but even without our squad looks pretty strong. Are we linked with anyone else (realistically)?

Well I'd be very happy to go forward this the squad but thats if we keep Lukaku.

If hes sold we'll need another CF, I cant see us keeping Torres/Bamford as vack up.

I'd happily sell Ramires/Mikel too if it meant we got in Pogba.

• Advertisement

The Filipe Luis fee is being reported at €20mil which would be £15.8mil. Pretty good deal imo.

Backline is looking very solid,

Courtois/Cech/Schwarzer

Azpilicueta/Ivanovic Terry/Cahill/Zouma/Ivanovic Luis/Azpilicueta

I'd expect Bertrand and PVA to leave, not sure about Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Terry will carry on from where he left off last season, the Premier League's best centre back by a country mile.

:D

Bsqa_wvCYAAt06p.jpg

rbjyzr.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

obezyana wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't rate him at all I think he will flop and to spend that amount of money in him is not good I fear it will turn into another Torres. We all will get behind him and give him the great Chelsea support which Torres has received in abundance, unfortunately it's not worked out and I feel the signing of an average player for silly money is another step back in the forwards area for Chelsea.

It's not that i don't rate him, i just think he'll fail strictly because he's at Chelsea.
    Style of play doesn't suit, the attacking 3 from midfield are too greedy but aren't exactly clinical themselves and i just don't expect the goals to come. Not for any factual reason, just a really strong hunch.

Hoping that I couldn't be more wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Has Alexei Smertin come out of retirement and signed yet?

Panthro wrote: »
    Terry will carry on from where he left off last season, the Premier League's best centre back by a country mile.

Ya, we're lucky to have him, the Jose system doesnt expose his lack of pace.

#Chelsea XI v Wycombe -
    Schwarzer,
    Kane, Chalobah, Christensen, Aké,
    Romeu, Baker, Van Ginkel, Swift, Piazon, Bamford

• Advertisement

#Chelsea Substitutes v Wycombe - Beeney, Ivanovic, Zouma, Dasilva, Boga, Houghton, Solanke, Brown, Matic, Terry

Hope Bamford puts in a shift. The lad has bulked up a lot in the last few months and if he can push on for the 3rd CF Id be happy bit he may want playing time.

Hope Bamford puts in a shift. The lad has bulked up a lot in the last few months and if he can push on for the 3rd CF Id be happy bit he may want playing time.

Ko delayed

Gary Doherty playing for WW :)

Phoenix wrote: »
    Watching it now cmon the blues

Yellows

That yellow kit looks lovely.

Yellows a nice kit. Ill have to pick it up.

• Advertisement

Zouma about to come on, Todd Kane injured

Kane injured.

1-0 bamford

Bamford, bang. That's a great finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Some finish !!!

• Advertisement

Great finish

Zouma on, beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Keep the updates going lads, planned to watch this but ended up only just leaving work -_-

Bam-Bam-Bamford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Gong much as expected I guess, earlyish goal. Chelsea trying to probe few speculative efforts. no real pace to the game, all expected though really.

That goalkeeper top is horrible too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement