Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rob Beasley reckons Drogbas comeback tour will be announced tomorrow. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Rob Beasley reckons Drogbas comeback tour will be announced tomorrow. Interesting.

He's nailed on to be coming IMO. Salah switched numbers for yesterdays game, he was 15 for the first 2 games but now he's taken 17. Leave's #15, the number Drogba had when he first moved to Chels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Your thoughts on Patrick van Aanholt lads? Sunderland are reportedly close to signing him. I've seen nothing of him at Viteese so was hoping you lads would know more.

It could also be the club leaking it to push Fiorentina along into selling Alonso, but it appears to have gained a lot of legs today so there's something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Always thought that PvA would make it with us. For me he is a solid enough player and would be a decent back up for us but guess we have 3 FB's for 2 spots.

Paully D wrote: »
    Your thoughts on Patrick van Aanholt lads? Sunderland are reportedly close to signing him. I've seen nothing of him at Viteese so was hoping you lads would know more.

It could also be the club leaking it to push Fiorentina along into selling Alonso, but it appears to have gained a lot of legs today so there's something in it.

fwiw i reckon hes better than bertrand and hes the one id keep as back up to Luis but that job looks to be going to Nathan Ake.

ye'll be getting a fine FB who carlo ancoletti rated during his time so thats good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Paully D wrote: »

Would be a cracking signing for Sunderland, I think he's definitely good enough for the Premier League but just a bit below top 4 level at the moment, he' still young though and will keep on improving, he's got a bit of a raw deal at Chelsea to be honest but that's the way it is for young players here unfortunately.

Johner wrote: »
    Would be a cracking signing for Sunderland, I think he's definitely good enough for the Premier League but just a bit below top 4 level at the moment, he' still young though and will keep on improving, he's got a bit of a raw deal at Chelsea to be honest but that's the way it is for young players here unfortunately.

i think Ake is a better all rounder but PvA is a better FB and better going forward, more natural. Was hoping we'd keep him really. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Has he gotten a raw deal though... we've had Ashley Cole at the club for 7 years in the same position!

Has he gotten a raw deal though... we've had Ashley Cole at the club for 7 years in the same position!

I would say he deserved a shot now but we went out and bought Luis and he's obviously a better player than him, its nearly impossible for a young lad to come through the ranks and get a shot here, he's showed promise at Vitesse and at most other clubs in the league he would have come back slotted straight in and and let him continue his improvement, the fact is we need instant success and don't have to time to give Van Aanholt a shot and see if he's good enough. That's the just the way it is here the same has happened with Lukaku he's has two good seasons and we go out and spend £32 million on Costa, we have so much talent in the youth squads / U21 coming but lets see how many of them make it in the future, the way we are buying now it looks to be to send them out on loan and sell them on for profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Is it just me that would like to see Frank get a testimonial or a bit of a hoo-ha, we should burn the bridge as a pyre in tribute if I had my way. Deserves a better Goodbye.

Is it just me that would like to see Frank get a testimonial or a bit of a hoo-ha, we should burn the bridge as a pyre in tribute if I had my way. Deserves a better Goodbye.

He'll get a testimonial, I'm not sure if we'll squeeze it in this season though, probably had pre-season organized before he decided to leave. Ashley deserves one too. Fantastic servants.

On PVA, he's a very well rounded FB, extremely good going forward. I hope if he does go to Sunderland he gets a chance, top player.

So today, the modern day king of the Bridge is meant to be re-signing, it'll probably mean Torres or Lukaku is out the door, I hope its Torres.

Salah has given up the number 15 to move to Hazards old number 17, remember 15 was Drogbas first number when he signed for Chelsea.

Marin is close to a move to Besiktas, apparently, which will see him link up with Ba.

Just looking at our top 10 players transfered out of the club and what they were sold for

Luiz 40m - 2014
    Mata 37m - 2014
    Robben 25m - 2008
    KDB 17m - 2014
    Zhirkov 13m - 2012
    Sturridge 12m - 2013
    Bridge 12m - 2009
    SWP 9m - 2009
    Gudjohnsen 8m - 2006
    Carvalho 7m - 2011

Thats not to bad when you compare to our most expensive intakes below

Torres 50m - 2011
    Hazard 32m -2012
    Willian 32m -2013
    Costa 32m - 2014
    Shevchenko 30m - 2006
    Cesc 28m - 2014
    Oscar 25m - 2012
    Luiz 25m - 2011
    Essien 24m - 2005
    Drogba 24m - 2004

Some twitter chat going around that Schurrle and by extension the german players wont be back until the 2nd week in August, likely to be the 11th.

You can rule Schurrle out of your fantasy teams for the first 3/4 weeks off the season anyway, Willian or Salah will have the right wing slot nailed on, if either can out in a good few displays Andre 3000 will have to work very hard to get back in.

Some twitter chat going around that Schurrle and by extension the german players wont be back until the 2nd week in August, likely to be the 11th.

You can rule Schurrle out of your fantasy teams for the first 3/4 weeks off the season anyway, Willian or Salah will have the right wing slot nailed on, if either can out in a good few displays Andre 3000 will have to work very hard to get back in.

I heard that about the Arsenal players all right must be too much Weiss beer I suppose as the Brazilian players are back next week I think and they only knocked off the day before Germany (though many would say they knocked off the week before)

• Advertisement

You know Twitter and its rumours, I'd reserve some salt for the stroies but I wouldnt be surprised to see them getting a few extra days off compared to Ramires, Willian and Oscar.

Disappointed to see Drogba coming back as a player, probably means Lukaku is out the door. Wouldn't be very happy with a strike force of Costa,Torres and Drogba, if Costa got injured we are ****ed and in an even worse position that last year.

Disappointed to see Drogba coming back as a player, probably means Lukaku is out the door. Wouldn't be very happy with a strike force of Costa,Torres and Drogba, if Costa got injured we are ****ed and in an even worse position that last year.

It really has to be Torres going IMO. Both he and Lukaku have 2 years left on there deals.

Lukaku is the more attractive option for teams in terms of wages, hes meant to be on 40k I think i heard and hes younger but he'll cost nearly double what Torres will cost, if we expect Torres to go for around 15m.

If we sold Torres, kept Lukaku and Courtios and offered them new contracts out fo the Torres saving we'd be down no money at all.

Torres 175k a week is a huge earner and could keep 2 of Europes finest young, proven talents.

I'd be happy with that, unfortunately I can see Lukaku wanting to leave. His attitude hasn't been the best as he hasn't seemed up for fighting for his place but then again you can kind of see where he is coming from, he couldn't do much more than he did on his two loan spells and he comes back and we spend £32million on a striker. Personally I still think he is very raw to be leading the line for us but I just know where ever he ends up he will be a huge success. Hard to believe he is still only 21.

I'd be happy with that, unfortunately I can see Lukaku wanting to leave. His attitude hasn't been the best as he hasn't seemed up for fighting for his place but then again you can kind of see where he is coming from, he couldn't do much more than he did on his two loan spells and he comes back and we spend £32million on a striker. Personally I still think he is very raw to be leading the line for us but I just know where ever he ends up he will be a huge success.

Ya his gripe last year was he was going to be 3rd choice but this year, even with the return of Didi, he'll be 2nd choice and if Costa doesnt hit the ground running he'll get chances, easily.

Jose has to convince him of that, just because we've bought in Cost doesnt mean he'll be a success and we've to try and keep Lukaku or else next summer we'll be shelling out on another CF.

The way I'd like it to go :

2014/15
    Costa 1st choice until goals or performances drop off
    Lukaku 2nd choice and also to play as 2nd Cf with costa when needed
    Drogba 3rd choice and only used against Arsenal :pac:
    Torres Sold/loaned
    Bamford loaned

2015/16
    Costa 1st choice until goals or performances drop off
    Lukaku 2nd choice and also to play as 2nd Cf with costa when needed
    Drogba retired to be a coach
    Bamford promoted to 3rd choice

thats the dream but very unlikely, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah Mertesacker, Podolski & Ozil aren't due back until around the same time so I'd say the rumours are accurate enough.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah Mertesacker, Podolski & Ozil aren't due back until around the same time so I'd say the rumours are accurate enough.

I can imagine the WC winning pi*s up would be of epic proportions so could just be the mother of all hangovers keeping them out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

I wonder would the return of Drogba be for the development of Lukaku as a front man leading the line for Chelsea by learning from the maestro in that position ?

I think Drogbas return is for everyone.

The guy is a legend at the club and the younger guys will look up to him as an idol and mentor, if he can help them through games and training that would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I think Drogbas return is for everyone.

The guy is a legend at the club and the younger guys will look up to him as an idol and mentor, if he can help them through games and training that would be brilliant.

Also as we lose Tarry, Lamps, Cech, Ivan & Cole in the space of a couple of years he gets this year to establish himself as a mentor and then will have a bg dressing room role as a coach from next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Yeah, Drogba coming back could actually be a move with Lukaku's development in mind.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's the only real logic behind the move. I had said earlier that Eto'o seemed to have a hugely positive influence in the dressing room on our strikers. Ba openly praised him in this etc. Obviously with the breakdown in relations between Eto'o and José, he has to be moved on. (Btw, I think that was a media-spun siht-storm rather than them bad-mouthing one another - Eto'o was referring to his ex with his "idiot" comment.)

Anyway, Drogs is still capable of being a thread in the final third if given a 10/15/20 minute run at the end of a game where we need a crucial goal. I don't see him featuring more than a handful of times next season, though.

Similarly, in a few years, say 2-3, we'll see Lamps return probably as player/coach and will feature in a few cameos for us then. Both Drogba and Lampard have a future with the club in some role.

I think Drogba returning means Lukaku is more likely to stay at this stage. They have spoken previously of their mutual admiration, although both seem annoyed by any comparisons! I think Drogba will be a great mentor for all of the young CFs - Costa included.

When we sign Pogba, Drogba will be a huge boon to him as well. *Come on ta fcuk.*

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Also, I though this would be much closer for last season: http://bit.ly/PCechvTCourtois

Courtois could really charge out in front from there.

Also, I though this would be much closer for last season: http://bit.ly/PCechvTCourtois

Courtois could really charge out in front from there.

so Cech punches more and has caught nearly as many balls?

Shows what awaits Courtios when he comes to the EPL, he'll be under huge pressure but his command of the area is very good, hes very assured.

That's the only real logic behind the move. I had said earlier that Eto'o seemed to have a hugely positive influence in the dressing room on our strikers. Ba openly praised him in this etc. Obviously with the breakdown in relations between Eto'o and José, he has to be moved on. (Btw, I think that was a media-spun siht-storm rather than them bad-mouthing one another - Eto'o was referring to his ex with his "idiot" comment.)

Anyway, Drogs is still capable of being a thread in the final third if given a 10/15/20 minute run at the end of a game where we need a crucial goal. I don't see him featuring more than a handful of times next season, though.

Similarly, in a few years, say 2-3, we'll see Lamps return probably as player/coach and will feature in a few cameos for us then. Both Drogba and Lampard have a future with the club in some role.

I think Drogba returning means Lukaku is more likely to stay at this stage. They have spoken previously of their mutual admiration, although both seem annoyed by any comparisons! I think Drogba will be a great mentor for all of the young CFs - Costa included.

When we sign Pogba, Drogba will be a huge boon to him as well. *Come on ta fcuk.*

Another thing Drogba will hopefully try and coach is shots, shots, shots....and not that terrible LMFAO song.

Apart from Schurrle and the departed Eto'o our forward players are afaid to hit a ball, Drogba had no problem striking a bal from pretty much anywhere on the pitch if he felt something was on.

• Advertisement

Another thing Drogba will hopefully try and coach is shots, shots, shots....and not that terrible LMFAO song.

Apart from Schurrle and the departed Eto'o our forward players are afaid to hit a ball, Drogba had no problem striking a bal from pretty much anywhere on the pitch if he felt something was on.

Well now that Luiz is gone I suppose they can use the flight path for Heathrow over Stamford Bridge again.

I see Tinkerman has got the Greece job, best of luck to him always liked him seems a real gent. Did not deserve the sack from Monaco and was very unlucky here, OK he made a right pigs ear of the semi final against Monaco but he got us to the Champions League under cuddly Ken.

Well tickerman was replaced with jose, win win :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Drogba going into coaching? I can't see that happening.

Kirby wrote: »
    Drogba going into coaching? I can't see that happening.

Seems to be the universal opinion, come back for a year, sit on the bench, iffer support and a mentor type figure, learnt the ropes, go into coaching full time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Return of the king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

I said before in Didier's final season with us that he could be the absolute ideal 'impact sub.' Unfortunately then, he had no interest of that and used to sit and sulk on the bench, and was next to useless when he came on.

Maybe now with an even older and dare I say wiser Didier, we might just have that perfect 'impact sub.'

Welcome Home Didier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Looking forward to all the hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Torres out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/drogba-signs.html

Is he making a mistake or will it all work out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Odd one. Wonder if he's brought in as a coaching/bit part player role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Glad to see him back, he's one of my favorite non United players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He'll do nothing all season apart from get at least 4 in the two arsenal games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I liked that his last kick won us a European Cup. Not sure I'm as happy as I should be that he's re-signed.

Essien wrote: »
    I liked that his last kick won us a European Cup. Not sure I'm as happy as I should be that he's re-signed.

I feel the same, it's nice to have him back at the club but he left us playing wise in the best possible way he could. He won't see much game time anyway, hopefully Lukaku stays now! Torres out!

I feel the same, it's nice to have him back at the club but he left us playing wise in the best possible way he could. He won't see much game time anyway, hopefully Lukaku stays now! Torres out!

Its great to have him back it really is but theres no way he can match the night in munich may 17th 2012. What a way to go hopefully its a player coach role and he doesnt get 20+ starts....unless he gets 20+ goals. :)

Welcom3 back Didier, Wenger must be freaked. :pac:

It was the 19th Gav, 1905 is a big number for us. Hopefully the UCL final will be 10/05/2015. Will be a daycent birthday present for the club to win on that date! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Delighted to see him back, he left the club in the best possible way and he cannot expect to better that but just to see him pull on a chelsea shirt and bully the opposition again will be great.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement