Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

duckman!! wrote: »
    Costa has been declared fit to face Everton apparently!!!

where?

duploelabs wrote: »
    where?

Chelsea tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Is Maribor in Wexford?

BwJFp-yIcAA310u.jpg

ancredi Palmeri
    @tancredipalmeri
    Chelsea's offer for Destro pending from timing on Torres selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Great Champions League group.. should be aiming to be qualified after 4 games so we can concentrate fully on the league games around that period

• Advertisement

Looks like falcao is now a Real Madrid player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Interesting and nice quotes from Ba re Torres [URL="javascript:popup('/chat/profiles/profile.shtml?MickeyDipping','profile',750,650)"][/URL]

Chelsea will attempt to thrash out the departure of £50million flop Fernando Torres on Friday, but face a race against time to replace him with Roma forward Mattia Destro.

The representatives of Torres are in England to speak with Chelsea officials about the terms of the Spaniards exit to AC Milan.

Chelsea are hoping to negotiate a permanent deal for Torres, rather than a loan, that will finally free them of his £175,000-a-week wages for good. But Torres, who is interested in moving to Milan, and his representatives believe the striker is entitled to a severance payment because he has two years remaining on his contract.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has already targeted Destro to replace Torres as the clubs third-choice striker behind Diego Costa and Didier Drogba. It is understood that there has already been a meeting between Chelsea and Roma over Destro. But the Italian club are under no pressure to sell after securing £24 million from Bayern Munich for central defender Medhi Benatia.

Roma would also want a replacement lined up before agreeing to let £19 million-rated Destro go so late in the transfer window. The 23-year-olds wages would not be a problem for Chelsea, as he earns around £25,000 a week in Italy.

Other than Destro, Chelsea could look at Portos Jackson Martinez or even Queens Park Rangers striker Loic Remy.

Chelsea are ready to make one more signing before the transfer window shuts on Monday night. Replacing Torres with Destro would not help their foreign player problem and would still leave the club with one too many overseas stars.

Petr Cech is preparing himself to fight for the goalkeeper position with Thibaut Courtois until January, which means Marco van Ginkel could still leave on loan, even though he is not keen on joining Milan.

Chelseas interest in Destro and willingness to let Torres leave is not linked to the fitness of Costa, who suffered a hamstring problem on Wednesday.
    Costa did not train with the rest of the Chelsea squad on Thursday as the club continued to assess the extent of the problem, but he has not yet given up hope of playing against Everton on Saturday.

Torres is yet to play a single minute this season and his former Chelsea team-mate Demba Ba believes the 30-year-old needs to follow him out of Stamford Bridge to 'find happiness'. Atletico Madrid have also inquired about taking their former forward back on loan.

Ba quit Chelsea this summer to join Turkish club Besiktas after becoming frustrated at sitting next to Torres on the Chelsea substitutes bench.

"I wish Fernando the best, I just wish he is going to find happiness," said Ba. "I dont know where he will be happy, but I just want him to have happiness because he is a nice guy." Asked whether Torres can find happiness at Chelsea, Ba added: "Hard."

Ba defended Torres against accusations of being happy to collect his astronomical Chelsea wages from the sidelines.

"It is difficult to sit on the bench, because what you like to do is play football," Ba said. "Its hard when you are always on the bench, but you just have to keep your head up and work hard.

"People think footballers are happy to just take money, but we are in training every day, every single day we are working hard. People only see the 90 minutes we play at the weekend and they see the money we are spending. Of course, we have a lot of money but if we have the money it is because the money is there.

"Of course, we are happy to make a lot of money and, of course, a lot of people would love to be in our position, but they are not because they do not have the quality to be there.

"I could have stayed at Chelsea and just kept collecting the money. I would have been in a better position this season because I spoke to Jose and he was impressed with the end of the season I had. He told me I would be in a better position this season, but I just wanted to go and enjoy myself."

Ba and Besiktas were knocked out of the Champions League by Arsenal and the 29-year-old revealed how he dreamed of playing for the Gunners while he was a Chelsea player.

Arsenal tried to sign Ba on loan last summer, but Chelsea blocked the transfer and the Senegal international believes he could have helped solve the clubs current striker crisis following Olivier Girouds injury.

Asked how close he came to joining Arsenal, Ba said: "As close as you and me here, but its past. I just look forward.

"I wanted to join Arsenal. Even when I was in Chelsea, everybody knew that I wanted to come to Arsenal. I could have maybe waited longer in this transfer window, but I wanted to go and play for Besiktas because its a great club. Last summer, Jose wanted to keep me, but he said this time if I had any opportunity he would let me go. But Im happy here at Besiktas."

click here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Nice goal by Haz the younger in the Thursday night league, very poor goalkeeping but none the less decent strike.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/29/tp-eden-hazard-congratulates-brother-on-stunning-35-yard-free-ki/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Any word lads on if Costa will be fit enough to start the game on Saturday ?

apparently not

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/chelseafc/status/505340903289286657

Jose not giving anything away in the pressie

BUT

Torres, he's not spoken to Jose and we need 3 strikers, if he wants to leave

then we will replace him, according to Jose.
    "If it happens in the last hour, we will be in trouble".....we are ready for market to close but clearly if Torres goes, then we need to replace and it makes sense that it will need someone who qualifies as a home grown.
    Jose mentioning that we are still foreign 1 player over the limit.

So who is HG and will can come in?

I think Mr Jose is telling porkys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I would think this will be an unpopular opinion but what would people say to Welbeck if Torres goes, We would need a home grown player more than likely if Cech ends up staying. United probably wouldn't sell to us anyway but I actually think he's just the type of player Mourinho loves and Welbeck would thrive under him, hasn't actually a bad record when played as a striker and would be back up to Costa but can play on the wings either. Probably wouldn't come as he wouldn't be first choice and wants first team football but we will be playing plenty of games this season. I know a lot of people don't rate Welbeck but Mourinho would be the man to get the best out of him and he's actually impressed me at United.

Johner wrote: »
    I would think this will be an unpopular opinion but what would people say to Welbeck if Torres goes, We would need a home grown player more than likely if Cech ends up staying. United probably wouldn't sell to us anyway but I actually think he's just the type of player Mourinho loves and Welbeck would thrive under him, hasn't actually a bad record when played as a striker and would be back up to Costa but can play on the wings either. Probably wouldn't come as he wouldn't be first choice and wants first team football but we will be playing plenty of games this season. I know a lot of people don't rate Welbeck but Mourinho would be the man to get the best out of him and he's actually impressed me at United.

Well he is HG!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,751 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just play Pogba up front until Diego's back.

• Advertisement

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/chelsea/jose_mourinho_gives_update_on_fernando_torres_future_as_striker_tipped_to_leave_chelsea_1_3749781

The Portuguese coach insisted that the striker, who signed for the Blues for a then British record fee of £50million, had not spoken to him about his future.

But Mourinho refused to lock the exit door and left it to Torres to decide where his future lies.

He said: “If he wants to leave, and I’ve not had a word about it, I believe it’s to try and be happier than he has been here in the last couple of years.

“This is a very human club in the way the club approach these kind of situations.

“If he comes to us in these last couple of days, any possibility would be analysed.”

Mourinho insisted that he has a good relationship with Torres and his words echoed his comments about Juan Mata ahead of his departure to Manchester United in January.

“What we have clear as a club is that we need three strikers to face the season,” the Blues boss said.

“He’s one of them. I like him as a person and a player. At this moment, he’s our player and nothing wrong with that.”

Mourinho insisted that he was not going to make any more signings but one non home-grown player will leave the club, due to the Premier League’s 25-man squad rules limiting teams to 17 players not brought up in this country.

We believe the market is closed for us,” the Blues boss explained. “We like our squad and not a single squad is a perfect one.

“We are ready for the market to close and for us to start the September at this time minus one foreign player. That is compulsory.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I thought that too Johnner but I dared not say it in here!!
    Wonder would Cecs's arrival herald a new era of Nando.

I reckon this year is his year.
    H'on Torres.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,751 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Panthro wrote: »
    I thought that too Johnner but I dared not say it in here!!
    Wonder would Cecs's arrival herald a new era of Nando.

I reckon this year is his year.
    H'on Torres.
    If Cesc had arrived last year, I think there might have been a chance for Torres to find some form. It's too far gone for him now with us to recuperate. I reckon moving on is the only option for him if he wants to keep playing football and I'm sure he does. At least when he's subbed on he looks hungry - even if it only lasts until he smashes his first 2-yard open goal high and wide. I don't know if he'll ever find a spell of decent form again but I seriously doubt he will sitting on the bench for us.

Welbeck could be an option, tbh. I have to admit I haven't followed his career closely and his stats aren't great (37 club goals in 175 appearances). That said, from what I have seen, he's pretty confident and competent in front of goal. With Utd's forwards pretty much all preferring central roles, he plays mostly wide, right? Might explain the poor GPG of 0.21 or thereabouts.

Twitter rumours have us in for Remy, would have him on a par with Ba tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Welbeck? No thanks, would have preferred Bamford to stay than sign a very average striker for over the odds (because he's English, and also because United would want a bit of their money back).

Torres has had more second comings than Jebus.

Welbeck? No thanks, would have preferred Bamford to stay than sign a very average striker for over the odds (because he's English, and also because United would want a bit of their money back).

Torres has had more second comings than Jebus.
    Ah for jaysis sake, why did they send him off?! Scored 26 goals last season (albeit 18 in League 1) and he bulked up during the summer, I thought he was ideal to bed in at cup games and get a few 15-minute spells throughout the season. Bah.

Ah for jaysis sake, why did they send him off?! Scored 26 goals last season (albeit 18 in League 1) and he bulked up during the summer, I thought he was ideal to bed in at cup games and get a few 15-minute spells throughout the season. Bah.

Boro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Twitter rumours have us in for Remy, would have him on a par with Ba tbh.

I agree, it feels like much of a muchness really.
    If that's the case we should have just held on to Ba for another season.

• Advertisement

Bleecher report and Goal are reporting that costa is in for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Looks like it's between Remy or Destro.Havent seen Destro at all tbh and Remy is pretty average might aswel have kept Ba.

Id prefer Destro, he might cost more but he seems to have more of an upside. Could easily be sold on in 2/3 years time when the likes of Izzy Brown and Dominic Solanke should be pushing for the 1st team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Play Cech upfront to keep him happy. Be better than the last one. Can we ban Torres mentioned on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I don't know about you guys but seeing it made official like that, it makes annoyed all over again at his total inability to produce anything close to the form we expected of him. As a club, I don't think we could have done any more to accommodate him.

I don't know about you guys but seeing it made official like that, it makes annoyed all over again at his total inability to produce anything close to the form we expected of him. As a club, I don't think we could have done any more to accommodate him.

In most professions if you don't perform at your job you get fired. Torres got paid more than handsomely over the past 3 and a half years and we get little return on investment from him. He was the main man for the past 2 years, he can't say he was in the shadow of Drogba for that period. He failed plain and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Bye bye Nando, shame it didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Bye bye Nando, shame it didn't work out.

apparenly he cost Chelsea just shy of 100million in his time there with wages and transfer fee combined.

Wish him all the best, would be delighted to see him do well at Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I hope he does well, but I'm pretty sure he won't. Torres at his peak was a thing to behold and I'd love to see him find some real form again, even if it is at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Wish him all the best, would be delighted to see him do well at Milan.

I don't to be honest he's done pretty well for himself without performing for our club so to see him perform for another club would be through gritted teeth plus me bro supports Inter, Hit the road Nando and don't ya come back no more no more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't think it was for lack of trying, he definitely had a mental block and he never got the rub of the green.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I don't think it was for lack of trying, he definitely had a mental block and he never got the rub of the green.

I think sometimes it most definitely was for lack of trying.

Delighted he's gone, he bogarded Chelsea good and proper.

He cost us £85m not counting any payment/contribution the club might make in relation to the remainder of his contract. That's £85m straight up, no FFP accounting or present value financial analysis. That's about £4.25m per PL goal.

This loan deal will effectively be a free transfer since he will be out of contract with us at the end of the loan. He'll also be 32 so he could easily be released by then altogether.

BwO0mrZIgAAzMDd.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Lukker- wrote: »

Was chatting to a few lads about him earlier. I felt he didn't work out due to his injury before he arrived. His confidence was shot to bits then, and the rest was psychological. Newcastle were the big winners in that deal and Suarez netted Liverpool a hefty profit.None of The various managers got him to perform either.Surprised the supporters didn't turn on him sooner.
    Know it's hard to judge but his colleagues appeared to really like him too
    So lads what do you think? Why didn't Torres at Chelsea work out?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement