Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Very disappointing, don't think it was tactical to be honest, we were poor at the back and missed chances... Hopefully gives them a rocket up the arse before the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya one eye on city has cost us. Strong team started but it should have been remy from the start.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The other game was a draw too so it doesnt look so bad in the group but thats a game we should have won. Missed chances cost us hugely.

We had 4/5 excellent chances and took 1. They had 2 and took 1. Its our own fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

A very disappointing and complacent performance. Could come back to bite us later in the group. Although we should still qualify, we may have to outperform Schalke head to head to do it.

Remy or Costa would have buried the chances Drogba had.

Starting his was stupid. Against bolton in the capital 1 cup, yes.

Schalke 1st game of the ucl, not a hope.

Stupid call

Ya one eye on city has cost us. Strong team started but it should have been remy from the start.
    Jose was doing one for the Drog. But that was sentiment. UCL not the stage for it. Yeah, maybe he should have started Remy.

McDave wrote: »
    Jose was doing one for the Drog. But that was sentiment. UCL not the stage for it. Yeah, maybe he should have started Remy.

No place for sentiment in the ucl.

It showed whats ahead of us if we lose Costa.

We can be easily stopped

No place for sentiment in the ucl.

It showed whats ahead of us if we lose Costa.

We can be easily stopped
    Even *with* Costa it won't be plain sailing. Smarter defences will figure out ways to contain him. He'll still get us extra points (has already). But we still need to tighten up defence.

I still think we're on for the Premiership. But we're far from fallible, despite the results to date.

Even *with* Costa it won't be plain sailing. Smarter defences will figure out ways to contain him. He'll still get us extra points (has already). But we still need to tighten up defence.

I still think we're on for the Premiership. But we're far from fallible, despite the results to date.

Its a long slog but we were very naive tonight and it showed starting Drogba. Ramires was poor too. Willian offered a threat but nobody got on his final ball except a wasteful drogba.

Highly annoying 1st game and Cahill slightly at fault for the goal for not closing down Huntelaar but it was a good finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

What the fcuk was costa at, he played and didn't score.

Can't be having that!!

• Advertisement

Its a long slog but we were very naive tonight and it showed starting Drogba. Ramires was poor too. Willian offered a threat but nobody got on his final ball except a wasteful drogba.

Highly annoying 1st game and Cahill slightly at fault for the goal for not closing down Huntelaar but it was a good finish
    Ironically, Schalke ended up being as effective as us on the break. Draxler and Huntelaar very threatening. Draxler's miss before halftime was the warning shot. Why Mou didn't react sooner (e.g. Costa or Remy right after the break) is hard to understand. Jose's error in the end.

Jose out.

Costas terrible.

Sack the board.

Ironically, Schalke ended up being as effective as us on the break. Draxler and Huntelaar very threatening. Draxler's miss before halftime was the warning shot. Why Mou didn't react sooner (e.g. Costa or Remy right after the break) is hard to understand. Jose's error in the end.

Ramies and drogba were poor. Luis was decent. Threw in some decent crosses too. An effective fb and more natural than Dave of course. Thats a plus.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    What the fcuk was costa at, he played and didn't score.

Can't be having that!!
    Should have given him a full half or at least 30 minutes, when the team had time to build. Bringing him on on 72 minutes? A couple of minutes dicking around and you're into the last 15 minutes and chasing the game. Which is exactly how it felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Time to relax, yeah we played a team with one eye on the weekend and it didn't come off but it's not the end of the world, we're more than capable of beating schalke away and should still top the group.
    Hazard didn't seem to have much confidence in drogba either, seemed to me he'd rather have a go himself than feed the drog also seemed to give him an earful when he came across in an offside position to nick the ball.

Ramies and drogba were poor. Luis was decent. Threw in some decent crosses too. An effective fb and more natural than Dave of course. Thats a plus.
    At this level Ramires is more or less a passenger carried by the rest of the team. He's been more effective in the league, but under less trying circumstances.

The Setanta highlights showed Drogba lacked puff and threat. He had enough chances the Drog of old would have converted into a brace.

Ra.ores js good to bring on for energy like against swansea but apart from that he can be out of the game for long periods.

Its only the first game we'll go through but we really should have 3 pts on the board if we played Remy or Costa.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Time to relax, yeah we played a team with one eye on the weekend and it didn't come off but it's not the end of the world, we're more than capable of beating schalke away and should still top the group.
    Hazard didn't seem to have much confidence in drogba either, seemed to me he'd rather have a go himself than feed the drog also seemed to give him an earful when he came across in an offside position to nick the ball.
    That was a painful one alright.

Jose is going to have to be ruthless. Drogba can't lead at the top any more. That should have been clear from our own fixtures against Galatasaray last year.

I actually thought that was another game where Cahill has been poor... without the same midfield support as last season the back 4 don't look as sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I actually thought that was another game where Cahill has been poor... without the same midfield support as last season the back 4 don't look as sure.

Ivan at cb?

Dave to rb would sort that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I really think that's to do with courtois, he doesn't seem to have control of the guys in front of them as Cech did.
    Although it would be hard to have that unity seeing that Cech has owned that area for the last decade.

I really think that's to do with courtois, he doesn't seem to have control of the guys in front of them as Cech did.
    Although it would be hard to have that unity seeing that Cech has owned that area for the last decade.

Someone should have closed huntleaar, seeing as ivanovic tried to take out draxler, cahill should have went to the ball.

Jose out.

Costas terrible.

Sack the board.
    GavMonKey back in the groove! :pac:

How many clean sheets for Courtois now?

Thibout!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

nah not interested ...

Also dya remember jts booking and free? Same foul goes in on Cesc and its play on and the balls in our net 5seconds later.

Problem is jts was never a foul, neither is the one on cesc but for consistency both should have been frees.

How many clean sheets for Courtois now?

Thibout!

The answer is one. Against leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Pissed off with chelsea tonite . Missed 2 many chances ffs.

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Pissed off with chelsea tonite . Missed 2 many chances ffs.

Ya it was like last season all over again. Had it been any of the cfs last year that missed those chances tonight chelsea fans would be rightly pi**ed. I can see why playing drogba made sense keep the 2 lads for sunday but drogbas just back in training and hes 36 leading the line will take more time getting used to for him and i was hoping remy would start.

Draw in the other group game means weve got away with throwing away 2 valuable home pts for now

• Advertisement

I def wud have startd remy anyway. We could have finished that game in first half but they took the foot off the gas for some reason

Cescs miss is right up there with the worse of them but it was on his left leg. Drogba had a lot of time, a quicker, younger, CF controls it in one touch and its a goal, Drogba let it get away and he never caught up with it to set himself but thats what ya get from a 36year old.

And our goal shouldn have evena counted as it was a late tackle by cesc

Ivan at cb?

Dave to rb would sort that

Not a big fan of him there either really, definitely give zouma all the cup games anyway!

Not a big fan of him there either really, definitely give zouma all the cup games anyway!

Ya im not either but himself and kalas have a clean sheet at Anfield that was hard fought. If hes needed he can play there but away to city you can nearly pick the team tonight, barring injuries its going to be

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Azp
    Ramires Matic Cesc
    Schurrle Costa Hazard

Maybe willian for schurrle is the only change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Disappointing result tonight, probably didnt pay Schalke enough respect as I feared might happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Disappointing result tonight, probably didnt pay Schalke enough respect as I feared might happen..

Along as it grounds the team it could be a positive,
    All this talk of us steam rolling everyone has being getting out of hand so a 'minor setback' like tonight could be just what's needed to focus minds for Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

There was a stink of last season off that performance.

However, as killinator said, grounding the team in this manner can be seen as a positive. At least it's in the first game of the group when we have heaps of time to recover.

If it grounds the team then I'm all for it.

As being said, talk of us walking through teams after only 4 decent games in the league was very premature.

If we lose on Sunday it could start off a chain reaction of poor results and morale so 4 wins from 4 looks good on paper now but our most difficult away match of the domestic season is coming fast on Sunday.

City had a much more difficult test last night in Munich and only lost 1-0, no idea how they played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

What we must take from last night is Drogba is not a starter, he should be used as a WMD in the last 15 or 20 minutes.

Hazard is slowly getting up to speed and looking good.

Cesc and Matic have not settled together yet.

We have to find room for Luis in the team he can deliver some cross that chap beautiful delivery of a ball.

We definitely have a problem at CB which needs to be addressed soon.

• Advertisement

What we must take from last night is Drogba is not a starter, he should be used as a WMD in the last 15 or 20 minutes.

Hazard is slowly getting up to speed and looking good
    I think he has some way to go to becoming the great Jose thinks he can become, hes a joy to watch when in full flow but he needs to influence a game for longer than 2 min cameos at a go.
    Cesc and Matic have not settled together yet.
    Ya, they're still trying figure each other out as a pair, Cesc is better used up the field IMO, and I'd play Ramries and Matic together with Cesc as a number 10.
    We have to find room for Luis in the team he can deliver some cross that chap beautiful delivery of a ball.
    Yup, him at LB offered us another threat at FB that Azpilicueta just doesnt, some of his crosses were pretty good last night, hopefully its a matter of time before he gets in.
    We definitely have a problem at CB which needs to be addressed soon.

Ya, although I think it was touched on alst night, Courtois being new to the back line, he maybe not commanding that part of the back line well enough at the moment, rest of Courtois game is pretty top notch but maybe its something that will come with time. As the games go on its look likely that JT wont be around much longer, IMO.

I forgot JT had one cleared off the line too.

All in all its 2 pts dropped but we lsot last year to Salah and Basle in the opening game too and won the group.

We have it in us to go and win the group regardless of the draw but it will be a bit tougher now.

All in all its 2 pts dropped but we lsot last year to Salah and Basle in the opening game too and won the group.

We have it in us to go and win the group regardless of the draw but it will be a bit tougher now.

Now we have to win 2 of our 3 away games or else we more than likely wont top the group..

13 points guarantees top spot, thats 4 wins from our remaining 5..

I thought Maribor woudl be the whipping boys, the may very well become that but the point at home to Sporting means as we go to game week 2 its all to play for.

We've sporting away next and had they won last night theyre would have been big pressure on us to go their and win as it stands we still have to win of course but we dont have the threat of them going 5pt clear of us in the group.

anyway, I'd have happily lost last night if it means we win on Sunday, its all about the league this year for me and I'd get k/o'd in the group stages and finish 4th in the group if it means we win the EPL.

This is what i want to see on Sunday

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Luis
    Matic Ramires
    Schurrle Cesc Hazard
    Costa

What we'll probably see

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Azp
    Matic Cesc
    Ramires Willian Hazard
    Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Luis
    Matic Ramires
    Schurrle Cesc Hazard
    Costa

What we'll probably see

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Azp
    Matic Cesc
    Ramires Willian Hazard
    Costa

The latter ain't so bad, Willian did very well at 10 against Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the only real problem i saw last night was drogba was left on way too long . game got a bit to open at 1-0 but if costa had of been for the whole game he would have had a field day , we didn't exploit what looked like a very dodgy keeper

duploelabs wrote: »
    The latter ain't so bad, Willian did very well at 10 against Everton

The latter gives us an opportunity to go for an inverted 4-3-3 without the ball and a 4-2-3-1 on the counter, even though Ramries is down as winger, he'll spend all his time without the ball tucking into CM and when we have it spring to the right side of centre of the pitch, Jose likes him in that system for big games.

If Ramries is slow to the punch Willian can drift from centre, to the side of Costa for support, while Hazard stays wide left.

peteeeed wrote: »
    the only real problem i saw last night was drogba was left on way too long . game got a bit to open at 1-0 but if costa had of been for the whole game he would have had a field day , we didn't exploit what looked like a very dodgy keeper

Ya, had Remy started I reckon he'd have had a goal or two, same for Costa.

Drogba should have been whipped after 55mins at the most and even if he had been taken off at HT, there'd have been no problem with it.

Pray that costa doesnt get injured as all I say.

• Advertisement

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Luis
    Matic Ramires
    Schurrle Cesc Hazard
    Costa

What we'll probably see

Courtois
    Ivan Cahill JT Azp
    Matic Cesc
    Ramires Willian Hazard
    Costa

Id also rather the latter I think. I don't think we should be going to the Etihad with attack foremost in mind... We need to try and replicate last season's performance there. That performance again will be good enough for a point at least IMO.

The difference in personnel would be Cesc for Luiz and Costa for Etoo. Cesc IMO is probably not capable of producing a David Luiz performance of power and solidity in the centre in fairness so maybe we do need to think more with attack in mind....

And of course with Costa we always have a chance of a goal no matter how its going.

A point would be HUGE for us, its an absolute must win for City I think, 5 points behind... if it was the other way around and City were coming to the Bridge we'd be saying we need to win!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement