Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That sunderland game last year still haunts me, how we f**ked away a 1-0 lead to lose to them is beyond me.

Players dropped the ball seriously in the run in.

So a good weekend could be ahead of us.

Utd v Everton - Tricky one, I'd expect a draw given how bad Utd are at the back but they could blow Everton away whove been terrible at the back too.
    Liverpool v WBA - expect a big home win.
    Villa v City - expect City to put Villa to sword easily.
    Chelsea v Arsenal - Hopeful of a home win.
    Spurs v S'Hampton - Tricky one, I'd expect a draw.

So if all results go as above it'll be

Chelsea 19pts
    City 14pts
    S'Hampton 14Pts
    Utd 11Pts
    Liverpool 10Pts
    Arsenal 10Pts
    Everton 6Pts
    Spurs 9Pts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Techless wrote: »
    True, but I find it very frustrating that with so many technically gifted players we have that we struggle to be able to retain possession when needed to curb opposition pressure. At times last night, we just couldn't seem to retain the ball when pressurised and gave away possession too easily.

In fairness to Sporting they pressed pretty much all night, their energy levels I thought were very impressive. How they kept it up for 90 minutes I am not sure but they did.

If you offered me 4 clear cut chances and we won 1-0 this weekend I'd take it, although you'd imagine Arsenal will be much harder to score against and they'll pose a greater threat.

Some more stats on the back of this game

Top Scorers
    Chelsea - Costa 8
    Arsenal - Sanchez/Ramsey 2

Assists
    Chelsea - Cesc 6
    Arsenal - Many, many players on 1

37.5k at the City v Roma game.

:pac: thats bloody terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

GavRedKing wrote: »
    37.5k at the City v Roma game.

:pac: thats bloody terrible.

Shocking. Have they got a very small amount of supporters in Manchester or what?

Shocking. Have they got a very small amount of supporters in Manchester or what?

I dont know, they struggle to fill the stadium when the big teams in the EPL come to Manchester too.

Ticket prices are very reasonable considering how much those in London pay for tickets and youre getting arguably the best football in the league, why wouldnt ya turn up?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its a big stadium to fill and the Champions League is hyped beyond all that is healthy. I'd rather go to a league game or even a cup game than the Champions League, maybe some Manchester City fans feel the same. Maybe they have a historical support base that hasn't got too many hangers on yet.

I'm not that confident that Chelsea would fill a 60,000 seater stadium week in week out that easily.

Its a big stadium to fill and the Champions League is hyped beyond all that is healthy. I'd rather go to a league game or even a cup game than the Champions League, maybe some Manchester City fans feel the same.

Theyve got empty seats for league games too, a lot of clubs inflate figures anyway but City are up around top of the chart.

Theyre expanding the Etihad too, close to 60k, they'll never fill the bloody place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The "Empyhad"

Martin Atkinson in the middle on Saturday, normally an OK ref.

• Advertisement

Martin Atkinson in the middle on Saturday, normally an OK ref.

Should have brought back Andre Marriner :pac:

Arsenal (H)
    Palace (A)
    Man Utd (A)
    QPR (H)

Thats our next 4 league fixtures and will take us up til November 1st. Anyone take 8 points ? I would.

Arsenal (H)
    Palace (A)
    Man Utd (A)
    QPR (H)

Thats our next 4 league fixtures and will take us up til November 1st. Anyone take 8 points ? I would.

Not a hope. I want 10 at a minimum.

beat everyone and at least draw with utd. Lets start by winning on Sunday though and then we'll see how we stand with injuries.

Arsenal strolling but playing with 10 men for the last 25-30mins.

Shouldnt matter come Sunday anyway even if we've had a days more rest, had the match been Saturday it might be different.

Not a hope. I want 10 at a minimum.

beat everyone and at least draw with utd. Lets start by winning on Sunday though and then we'll see how we stand with injuries.

We only took 7 points from them fixtures last season though.. I dont expect us to go to Utd and win. You cant 'expect' to win that fixture, or even Arsenal at home either IMO. Very difficult fixtures that draws arent very bad results in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Did Sanchez go off injured ? He's probably their top attacking threat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Did Sanchez go off injured ? He's probably their top attacking threat

Nah he went off as Chez was sent off, did take a couple of heavy tackles and was icing the ankle

We only took 7 points from them fixtures last season though.. I dont expect us to go to Utd and win. You cant 'expect' to win that fixture, or even Arsenal at home either IMO. Very difficult fixtures that draws arent very bad results in.

Last years team is history.

Im confident we'll beat Arsenal, Palace and QPR.

Utd are a mess they could blow us away or lose 3-0.

Also, we owe QPR a beating big time.

• Advertisement

Cant wait for the weekend. First time a title challenger has come to the Bridge this season, given we've a difficult run in the next few games a draw wouldnt be a disaster but I reckon the majority expect a win. Theres no foregone conclusions in football but i think we'll just shade it, it wont be anything like the 6-0 last year barring an Arsenal collapse.

If we start like we did that year, in their face, aggresive, we may get joy but remember before we scored last year Giroud had a great chance that Cech tipped wide.

On the counter this year theyre more of a threat with Sanchez, Welbeck, Ox and all 3 will probably start on Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/01/john-terry-chelsea-title-collapse-tears

the perfect tonic would to be to go and win another one JT, some words on the new guys below.
    “I was in tears over the Premier League last year, over throwing that away and not winning it,”
    Matic had to come to Portugal [with Benfica] and gain experience, but came back to Chelsea a completely different player and a man now.
    Cesc has been in England before so he knew what to expect, and you expect him to hit the ground running, which he’s done.
    “With Diego we didn’t know. We’ve seen it before: some strikers take months and months. But he’s hit the ground running. Eight goals already is superb and it’s great for us. He’s a good character, a great character. Without speaking a word of English he gets by and gets on great with everyone. He puts himself about but gets up and battles on, and plays with little niggles. That’s what you want. That’s why he’s come to the Premier League: to win. He made that clear to everyone in pre-season. He’s come here to win trophies. That’s what he wants to do.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. :cool:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Incredible stupidity to give that away. Should have been a red card, imo.

Demba Ba, my 3rd fav chelsea CF :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I'm nervous about Sunday - just have a sneaky feeling Arsenal could get something here ..

• Advertisement

I'm a bit worried about the defence but in the big games our defence usually does well, ah feck defence we'll just outscore them. 6-2 :pac:

A Fabregas goal as well please.

the_monkey wrote: »
    I'm nervous about Sunday - just have a sneaky feeling Arsenal could get something here ..

I'd never write off a team but Jose loves the big games and the players usually are well up for them too. I reckon we'll win on Sunday. 3-1.
    Johner wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried about the defence but in the big games our defence usually does well, ah feck defence we'll just outscore them. 6-2 :pac:

Ya, I think we'll be well drilled on what to do on Sunday and we'll have a game plan thats being worked on all week, Sporting was a tough battle for us even though it should have been a stroll.
    A Fabregas goal as well please.

Go 1-0, Drogba with the equalisier, Cesc with the winner = Internet Meltdown :pac:

Jose Mourinho confirms Diego Costa will play against Arsenal and says he isn't surprised the striker has been called up by Spain. #CFC

Jose: '6-0 happens every 50 years, occasionally. What happens in the past is the past. It's a difficult match against a good team.' #CFC

Jose: 'Cesc is a Chelsea player and he's been phenomenal for us in every game, no exception. I couldn't be happier.' #CFC

Jose: 'Their approach doesn't matter, they will always be a difficult opponent.' #CFC

Jose: 'I like to play against the best, so do my players. When you play big matches you know the players are more than ready.' #CFC

Mourinho says Ramires and Didier Drogba are both out of Sunday's game. #CFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not worried about Sunday. I don't really fancy either side to keep a clean sheet but we've got more than enough to outscore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I'm looking forward to this one. Arsenal will come out all guns blazing.

For us, it's a real opportunity to lay down a marker against a main rival. Can't see less than a draw. Under Jose a win has to be odds on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chelsea team to play Arsenal: Courtois, Ivanovic, Cahill, JT (c), Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard; Diego Costa.

Chelsea substitutes Cech, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Mikel, Willian, Salah, Remy.

KO delayed 15 mins

A win, clean sheet, Costa goal and Fabregas assist/MOTM. Happy days, just hope Coutois is okay.

Would have given MOTM to Hazard though he was brilliant.

A win, clean sheet, Costa goal and Fabregas assist/MOTM. Happy days, just hope Coutois is okay.

i think that sums it all up very nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

2 goals and a clean sheet. Perfect afternoon. Hope Thiabout is ok. Thought Cech looked sharp when he came on , even though he didn't have much to do. Schurrle with another stinker. I would give Willian or Salah a go instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Delighted with that, very strong performance. Agreed with Schurrle but wouldn't let Salah near it, Willian or one of the young lads ahead of him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Delighted with that, very strong performance. Agreed with Schurrle but wouldn't let Salah near it, Willian or one of the young lads ahead of him...

Thought he looked bright the other night and id like to see him given a run of games to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Costa waits til he's offside to get the bad ones out of his system.

Nice guy

Phoenix wrote: »
    Missed the whole game lads bloody time difference... How did we play?see Diego bagged another,how was Cesc playin!?and Schurrle

Arsenal were better in the 2nd half but we soaked up pressure and hit on the break.

Costa was pretty quiet but took his chance when he had it.

Schurrle was poor.

I hope courtois is ok too.

quotes from jose after the game

Mourinho says Courtois is being examined as a precaution. But it is thought there is no serious problem.

"I was just worried about the kid. Not abot the game & the performance. Because we have 2 of the best 3 goalkeepers in the world."

Mourinho says the shove from Wenger was 'no problem'. Didn't shake hands, and has't seen him post-match.

"Now they go to the international break and I stay with Schwarzer, Terry and Drogba."

Mourinho on Wenger's shove: "The behaviour he has, is the beahviour I have, is the behavior we all have. No problem at all."

Phoenix wrote: »
    What happened there

He went for a 50/50 with sanchez and got a knee/thigh into tje ear and went off a few mins later with blood from the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Arsenal were better in the 2nd half but we soaked up pressure and hit on the break.

Costa was pretty quiet but took his chance when he had it.

Schurrle was poor.
    Arsenal weren't bad. They competed (Ozil aside). Had they fashioned the first goal, they would have been hard to break down. However, they're as ineffective up front as we were last season.

Schurrle didn't do himself any favours. Hazard moved up a gear without being dominant. Made the difference when it counted. He's a complete foul magnet. Refs are going to want to step in a bit more with cards to protect him.

Costa got involved enough considering he was completely alone up front. If he hadn't scored, his performance would have been 6/10. With that goal he was 8/10. Cesc did what he had to do. Two brilliant signings by Jose, who really has made the difference. 5 points clear of the field already.

• Advertisement

For me an easy game Arsenal have nothing up front did either keeper Chelsea make a save, don't think so. Arsenal were very lucky to finish the game with 11 men though in fairness to the ref he did try to keep 22 players on the pitch. We will have much harder games against United and Liverpool than that game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement