Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

identity theft protection

Options
  • 08-06-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

don't know if this is the right place for this but I don't know where to post. I'm just wondering with more and more online shopping and the advent of recycling bins what do people do to protect their identity? I personally shred any letters but when I get a delivery in a box I still try to take my name off the front. is this ott, with just my name and address surely that's no good to anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

don't know if this is the right place for this but I don't know where to post. I'm just wondering with more and more online shopping and the advent of recycling bins what do people do to protect their identity? I personally shred any letters but when I get a delivery in a box I still try to take my name off the front. is this ott, with just my name and address surely that's no good to anyone?

I do the same. Or if I can't get to a shredder I wet the letter and tear it when it's saturated. Also cut my name off boxes and padded envelopes. Can't be too careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no idea whether it is OTT, but I do it too :-) I got very fed up with Viking (the office supplies firm) because they used send a load of catalogues, seemed like every week, with my name and address on the catalogue inside a poly bag, so you had to open it to get at the address. I have finally persuaded them to stop sending them and am careful not to buy anything there as I don't want to go back on the spam list. I keep intending to tell Specsavers if they don't stop sending me letters saying its two years since my last appointment (sometimes within a few weeks of a visit) I will abandon them. And Hidden Hearing is another persistent nuisance. And Concern. And the Dublin Mint or whatever they are called. They all have addresses that have to be shredded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I just burn everything with a name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

yeah in the winter I burn as well, but in summer I try to tear/shred. thought I was the only one. don't feel bad at all now. cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I shred everything if its hone address, don't worry too much about work because its public info anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All of the above. It isn't OTT, but good practice. It also seems to be what most people do nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

My best friend has always thought I am weird for doing it but I do the same. Canni be to careful nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nope. Standard practice with me. Peel off and cut up any labels. Shred paperwork in the summer, and burn it in the winter. Thought everybody did it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ok, I am missing something here! So pardon the thick question....

How can a criminal use a label from a catalogue that was posted to you to rob your identity?

Electoral registers contain your name and address and are free to view for all....and many peoples name and address is in the phone book.
    So I am not sure how a simple mailing label, from a catalogue for eg, could be used for identity theft.

I understand about shredding bank statements, utility bills etc....

• Advertisement

Ok, I am missing something here! So pardon the thick question....

How can a criminal use a label from a catalogue that was posted to you to rob your identity?

Your name and address can be used to order goods. The thieves then lay in wait for the postie/courier and take those parcels. Meanwhile, you're stuck with the bill and the job on convincing the supplier you never ordered them.
    Electoral registers contain your name and address and are free to view for all....and many peoples name and address is in the phone book.
    So I am not sure how a simple mailing label, from a catalogue for eg, could be used for identity theft.

I understand about shredding bank statements, utility bills etc....

You can elect to have your name and address removed from the full register which the council are free to sell to companies for direct marketing and junk mail. That's what we do.

I've always had my telephone number as ex-directory. The number is given out to people we want to talk to. I don't want the number available for all and sundry to see.

Its a name and address today, then follow you and nick your atm card or find some other statement in the bin. Piece together all your life and they could apply for a passport or credit card in your name. Sounds extreme but possible.........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your name and address can be used to order goods. The thieves then lay in wait for the postie/courier and take those parcels. Meanwhile, you're stuck with the bill and the job on convincing the supplier you never ordered them.

What credit card number do they use to order the goods?
    How they know when the goods are going to be delivered?
    They hide in your garden for 2-3 days waiting to pounce on the courier and accept delivery - aren't couriers required to knock on the door and not to deliver to some Joe who turns up outside the house?

Your theory is a bit far-fetched. Your name and address alone doesn't confer any advantage to a would-be thief or fraudster, unless they have other data such as your bank account or credit card number.

I tear off the name and address part of any letter from the rest of the sheet, the name and address part goes in the black bin, the rest of the paperwork into the green bin.

coylemj wrote: »
    They hide in your garden for 2-3 days waiting to pounce on the courier and accept delivery - aren't couriers required to knock on the door and not to deliver to some Joe who turns up outside the house?

Your name and address alone doesn't confer any advantage to a would-be thief or fraudster, unless they have other data such as your bank account or credit card number.

I tear off the name and address part of any letter from the rest of the sheet, the name and address part goes in the black bin, the rest of the paperwork into the green bin.
    Well if you're happy with that level of work, then good.
    Personally, I prefer shredding it. Maybe I have watched too many tv shows but in this age of intelligent crime, I am not taking chances.

To answer about your question: Tracking No. will tell you when you're getting a delivery. Also DHL van pulls up and driver sees person waiting for parcel.
    Ever stand at a counter and see how many people take a step back to put in their PIN codes...just in case there's anyone else in the shop that wants a peek.....

TheDriver wrote: »
    To answer about your question: Tracking No. will tell you when you're getting a delivery.

The tracking number at best tells you what day it will be delivered, it doesn't even narrow it down to a half day. And an awful lot of mail order items come with no tracking at all.
    Also DHL van pulls up and driver sees person waiting for parcel.

Aren't courier drivers instructed to knock on the door and not hand the parcel over to a complete stranger on the footpath?
    Ever stand at a counter and see how many people take a step back to put in their PIN codes...just in case there's anyone else in the shop that wants a peek.....

Yes...... an your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Couriers are as their packages usually have to be signed for. But not the postie. I've had parcels dropped outside my house when I'm out. The neighbours here are on the ball, and usually pick them up for me. I do the same for them. Oh - and you can use any credit card. You can specify where the the parcel is to be delivered, can you not? Doesn't have to be the billing address. Using the Parcel Motel is a prime example.
    Your theory is a bit far-fetched. Your name and address alone doesn't confer any advantage to a would-be thief or fraudster, unless they have other data such as your bank account or credit card number.

Nope! Did you see the programme Dom Littlewood did for the BBC only last week? I've forgotten the name, but the very same thing happened. The house owner only caught the thief as he was getting bills for stuff he never ordered. Set up a CCTV and BOOM! Caught in the act...Happens quite a bit in London, where I'm from, but have never heard of it here. However - old habits die hard.

No, clearly a wildly reckless assumption on my part, in part based on the fact that when you go to an An Post depot to collect a parcel, they want to see photo id, even when you have the 'failed to deliver' docket.
    They have no problem delivering to me when I am standing outside my house.

Are you standing outside your house and the front door is open?

No, clearly a wildly reckless assumption on my part, in part based on the fact that when you go to an An Post depot to collect a parcel, they want to see photo id, even when you have the 'failed to deliver' docket.

An Post don't always ask for ID, even when I'm holding it in my hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anything with my name address or any personal information gets burned. I am also very careful with my data as in I do not give it unless I think it is required. Very few businesses actually need your phone number or other personal info. If it is needed I am at pains to inform them that it is not to be used for marketting. If I ever get a spam taxt or e-mail I tend to follow it up with the company that sent it and give them a rollicking about using my data for reasons other than for which they are intended.
    It seems to work as I do not get any spam in my e-mail and only the odd unwelcome text.

I think I am probably an extreme example though to be fair. I really hate ads to the extent that I only watch DVDs or netflix, install adblocker online and never sign up for anything that requires personal info.

Also it has kept the TV licence man at bay for the past 2 years so there is a financial pay off too;)

• Advertisement

An Post don't always ask for ID, even when I'm holding it in my hand.

They always look at my driving licence.

Absolutely. I have never been asked for ID from any courier and I'm usually standing on the road outside the house when they arrive.

That said, you'd have to be hard up to hang around outside a house in case a courier arrives with something worth nicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Oh - and you can use any credit card. You can specify where the the parcel is to be delivered, can you not? Doesn't have to be the billing address. Using the Parcel Motel is a prime example.
    I must be missing something here. If they've used 'any credit card' besides mine, they can stand outside my house to collect 'their' parcel till the cows come home.

Although some companies allow a different address to be specified (often only after the original has been verified) none that I've ever ordered from will deliver anything until the money has been taken from the account.

Teagwee wrote: »
    I must be missing something here. If they've used 'any credit card' besides mine, they can stand outside my house to collect 'their' parcel till the cows come home.

:) He means they can use your credit card without needing to know your address.

You mean 'she'. I am a woman! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

But they wouldn't have obtained my credit card from my name and address on a box or letter? I know not to put any bank details in the rubbish bin (I burn the lot) so if all they have is my name and address, that's all they can use :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

I put any important documents in the compost bin after tearing them up

But they wouldn't have obtained my credit card from my name and address on a box or letter? I know not to put any bank details in the rubbish bin (I burn the lot) so if all they have is my name and address, that's all they can use :pac:

That's plenty. Goods can still be ordered using a hooky card and giving your address!

That's plenty. Goods can still be ordered using a hooky card and giving your address!

Why would that be a problem for me if they're not using my credit card number?

I'm with this poster above (#24) .....

As well as my name and address, they need my credit card number, my expiration date and my CVV number. If they get hold of all of that data then it's my fault and I'm potentially going to be the victim of fraud.

Please tell us how you could be defrauded by the use of someone else's credit card number and your address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement