Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians keying cars in Maynooth.

Options
  • 08-06-2014 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭

Was in my room on Friday evening, doorbell starting ringing frantically so assumed it was someone for the housemate. When it persisted I got up to open it, no one there. Went out and seen one romanian looking girl (dark, brown hair, late teens/early 20's) with a young kid with long blondish hair!

I thought no more of it. Next morning I discover my car has 2 scratches all the way around 3 sides of my car. Destroyed. I asked a neighbour did they see anyone about and they said they scratched the cars of anyone who didn't open up. Other got done too in the estate. Keep and eye out and report them to gardai if seen.

I assume they came back during the night to key the cars as it would be too risky to do it in the daylight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Was in my room on Friday evening, doorbell starting ringing frantically so assumed it was someone for the housemate. When it persisted I got up to open it, no one there. Went out and seen one romanian looking girl (dark, brown hair, late teens/early 20's) with a young kid with long blondish hair!

I thought no more of it. Next morning I discover my car has 2 scratches all the way around 3 sides of my car. Destroyed. I asked a neighbour did they see anyone about and they said they scratched the cars of anyone who didn't open up. Other got done too in the estate. Keep and eye out and report them to gardai if seen.

I assume they came back during the night to key the cars as it would be too risky to do it in the daylight.

Wow

Did you see her passport to prove she was "Romanian"?
    Did you or any one else catch this on camera or video as solid evidence?
    How does one look "Romanian"?
    Any chance it was just scum.being scum but "Romanians" sounds better?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

bumper234 wrote: »
    Wow

:

Get off your pc high horse.

He is obviously taking about Roma gypsies who have a very distinctive look.

If you claim you couldn't tell a Roma gypsy by looking at them, then you, sir are a liar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

monkey8 wrote: »

If you claim you couldn't tell a Roma gypsy by looking at them, then you, sir are a liar!

I thought he said Romanians? So which is it now? I'm confused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Wow

Did you see her passport to prove she was "Romanian"?
    Did you or any one else catch this on camera or video as solid evidence?
    Any chance it was just scum.being scum but "Romanians" sounds better?:rolleyes:

No. It's not hard to identify the nationality of someone based on their appearance. Very easy to identify a spanish person, brazilian, new zealand.

No. Yeah I'm sure it was just scum that coincidentally keyed the cars of the same people who didn't answer the door to the people looking for money in an estate that hasn't had any incidents of this kind while I have been living there. Very coincidental.

One looks romanian by having dark skin, dark hair and features, wears floral dresses too.

No. I couldn't care less where scum come from. I was using romanian as an identifier, as they are 99% likely romanian.

• Advertisement

No

He clearly states in the thread title
    Romanians keying cars in Maynooth.

Followed by
    Went out and seen one romanian looking girl (dark, brown hair, late teens/early 20's) with a young kid with long blondish hair!

So is he claiming they were "Romanian"?

Or "Roma" who btw are not Romanian?

Not on any high horse just hate to.see people getting branded, i'm sure you would hate to be labeled as a " traveller" .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

in fairness, romany gypsies are very distinctive. i was in a shop when about 10 of them came in and just blatantly took anything they could grab. only one staff member and me. there was nothing that could be done to stop them.

maybe they are missunderstood and oppressed. bumper234, maybe you could invite some around to your home and discuss it with them. i would do it, but i have serious reservations about them, based on experience.

No. It's not hard to identify the nationality of someone based on their appearance. Very easy to identify a spanish person, brazilian, new zealand.

No. Yeah I'm sure it was just scum that coincidentally keyed the cars of the same people who didn't answer the door to the people looking for money in an estate that hasn't had any incidents of this kind while I have been living there. Very coincidental.

One looks romanian by having dark skin, dark hair and features, wears floral dresses too.

No. I couldn't care less where scum come from. I was using romanian as an identifier, as they are 99% likely romanian.

You mean Roma right? :rolleyes:

You mean Roma right? :rolleyes:

quite sure we could agree they are roma.

emo72 wrote: »
    quite sure we could agree they are roma.

Yet the thread title states they are Romanian.

• Advertisement

maybe you are being a wee bit pedantic?

i read the thread the thread title and knew we were talking about roma gypsies and not romanians. well it was obvious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Probably Romanian Roma then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Moronic post is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe Duffy would love to hear your views on this tomorrow.

From the RTE website:
    Have you got a story to tell? An issue you want to air publicly? If you’d like to talk to Joe on-air about an issue that concerns you then we want to hear from you.

You can email the programme at any time to joe@rte.ie, call the office at 01 208 3263 / 2984 / 2980 or 3438 (or out of office hours and leave a message) or on 1850 715 815, Monday to Friday from 12.30pm – 3.15pm.

All topics are considered and all calls are welcome.

anyway, the substantive issue. people not getting an answer at the door and keying a car on 3 sides is pretty horrible thing to do. hard to believe it would happen, but what could you do about it?

Moronic post is moronic.

Would you be happy if we started calling all Irish people "travellers" ? How about "pikey" or maybe "Knacker"?

This is what it is like for Romanian people when Roma gypsies are refered to as Romanian.

Did you know that the Romani are of Indian origin? Or that a higher % of them are Bulgarian than Romanian? Did you know there are more Roma in America,Brazil and Spain than Romania? Just easier to call them Romanian i suppose gives us something to focus on :rolleyes:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

Would you be happy if we started calling all Irish people "travellers" ? How about "pikey" or maybe "Knacker"?

This is what it is like for Romanian people when Roma gypsies are refered to as Romanian.

Did you know that the Romani are of Indian origin? Or that a higher % of them are Bulgarian than Romanian? Did you know there are more Roma in America,Brazil and Spain than Romania? Just easier to call them Romanian i suppose gives us something to focus on :rolleyes:

well aware of the differnces between romanians and romany. it was a mistake by the OP. whats important here is if roma kids are doing this, they could get into serious trouble if they get caught scratching a car by someone with a short fuse.

i know these kids are forced into it by adults. you and I know this is how they get their money.

and discuss this in a grown up manner. theres no need for roly eyes at the end of all your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Totally agree about Roma and Romanians. My sister had a lovely Romanian family next door to her who used to go absolutely mad when people called Roma Romanian. They said that the Romanian people had no time for Roma either and that they were dreaded in Romania.

That said, I also knew straight away who the OP meant and reckon most other people did too. I have zero tolerance for those Roma and if anyone asks a question how would you recognise one, I would just say, cop on.

Sorry for your troubles OP and thanks for the warning.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Short memory huh?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/23/world/europe/europe-mystery-girls/

Joe Duffy would love to hear your views on this tomorrow.

From the RTE website:
    Have you got a story to tell? An issue you want to air publicly? If you’d like to talk to Joe on-air about an issue that concerns you then we want to hear from you.

You can email the programme at any time to joe@rte.ie, call the office at 01 208 3263 / 2984 / 2980 or 3438 (or out of office hours and leave a message) or on 1850 715 815, Monday to Friday from 12.30pm – 3.15pm.

All topics are considered and all calls are welcome.

Ha, and say what exactly?

Someone rang my doorbell. Not sure who.
    Somewhere in the vicinity of my house in the evening time was some forieigns. I've decided they are Romanians or Roma, doesn't really make a difference which.
    That night someone keyed my car. Not sure who.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What exactly is the business model of keying cars where the owner does not answer the door? Do these kids expect them to answer and hand the money over next time?

So what is the nationality of these ladies?
    02+Traje+de+colores+de+Salamanca+y+traje+serrano.jpg

And this girl?

kalash_girl_blonde.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moronic post thread is moronic.

FYP.

OP. Unless you can offer up more guesswork than a group of 3 years olds trying to complete the Higher Level Leaving Cert maths paper I, don't post here again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement