Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Maths Paper Two - Mon. June 9th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

anyone else use the angle 37 degrees instead of 53 for the swing question and get an answer of like 5.6?

I got 5.6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Fifii wrote: »
    Yay! So is that (AAA)what you used for question where it asks if the two triangles were similar?:)

Yeah, that's what I did.
    One of them was given in the question.
    Others were vertically opposite.
    That implied the other angle must have been the same.

anyone else use the angle 37 degrees instead of 53 for the swing question and get an answer of like 5.6?

Why would you use 37?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

What results would all he guys be happy with, considering the two papers are finito?

What results would all he guys be happy with, considering the two papers are finito?

Really wanted an A, but after the way I did in paper 1 I'd be surprised if I even got a B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 luimneachabu

Liordi wrote: »
    Why would you use 37?

As far as I can remember it was a right angled triangle with angles 90, 53 and 37 and I think I used 37 by mistake, most people appear to have got 7.4 for that I think

Really wanted an A, but after the way I did in paper 1 I'd be surprised if I even got a B.

I'd love an A, I'd say its possible although I reckon Paper 2 brought me down slightly. Also, are low A's sometimes pushed down to B's for Maths?

I'd love an A, I'd say its possible although I reckon Paper 2 brought me down slightly. Also, are low A's sometimes pushed down to B's for Maths?

Depends on the % of people who got higher A's.

Was very confident of an A after paper 1, not so much anymore. Anyone know what time SEC put the paper online?

Was very confident of an A after paper 1, not so much anymore. Anyone know what time SEC put the paper online?

Depends really.
    They've been up earlier than this on previous days, so I'd expect to see it before 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Reversal of expectations Paper 1 went well, Paper 2 was dreadful imo, due to my own fault not the paper.:( I was hoping for B but I have to be realistic and say D.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Same, paper 2 was a lot easier.
    Which part of the swing question?

For the frustum question; the formula was in the log tables and you just let one equal the other, say 147:168, can't remember the exact figures.

The part with the new height of the swing. I got 7.4 :) I got those figures! Just didn't use the right formula :/ And I can't remember which question but for the slope of a line k I used 1?

Fifii wrote: »
    Reversal of expectations Paper 1 went well, Paper 2 was dreadful imo, due to my own fault not the paper.:( I was hoping for B but I have to be realistic and say D.

Yeah but look I guess it's not the end of the world, I feel the same about paper 2. I was confident coming out of the exam and now I've looked at this, and well, let's say I'm not so confident anymore.

Oisin4 wrote: »
    The part with the new height of the swing. I got 7.4 :) I got those figures! Just didn't use the right formula :/ And I can't remember which question but for the slope of a line k I used 1?

The slope was 1/3 but in the equation x was = 1 because you multiplied it by 3, think I posted the solution earlier in the thread.

anyone else get y= 1/3x - 7/3 for the equation of the second line?

anyone else get y= 1/3x - 7/3 for the equation of the second line?

Yup, I got x - 3y - 7 = 0, which is the same thing. ;)

I really don't know how ye guys can still remember your answers...

I really don't know how ye guys can still remember your answers...

I don't remember all of them, but I already said some on here when I just came out of the exam, so I guess that helped. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Omargul

Do u get it right if u wrote 8:7 instead of 7:8

Omargul wrote: »
    Do u get it right if u wrote 8:7 instead of 7:8

Most likely high partial.
    Think it specified in the question to go frustum:cone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Omargul

Most likely high partial.
    Think it specified in the question to go frustum:cone

Orite,but i said it like
    Cone : frustrum
    8. : 7

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Is 0.875:1 the same as 7:8?

Would you get any marks for 1:8 I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cabello

For the last question i think I got .125 : 1 so I multiplied them both by 8 to get 1:8 and then to make sure i divided the fustrum into the full cone and it worked out, but loads of people got 7:8 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

They went far better than I was expecting, I think I could be heading towards an A! I'd be happy with a B though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Katiekerry

I actually found paper 2 nice ! I'm sure I made mistakes but I'm hopeful all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Katiekerry

emersyn wrote: »
    They went far better than I was expecting, I think I could be heading towards an A! I'd be happy with a B though :)

That's exactly how I feel :)

Would you get any marks for 1:8 I wonder?

I did the same and was wondering that too. If it was a 20 mark question which I'm presuming it was I'd say you'd get 10 for having the first part right and 3-5 out of 10 for the second part, you're showing that you know how to do it you just misread the question

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Yeah but look I guess it's not the end of the world, I feel the same about paper 2. I was confident coming out of the exam and now I've looked at this, and well, let's say I'm not so confident anymore.
    Thanks:D Its totally insignificant!Just a small letter on paper at the end of the day:) Roll on Summer!;) (Of course,:congrats to all who did well!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Abalamic

cabello wrote: »
    For the last question i think I got .125 : 1 so I multiplied them both by 8 to get 1:8 and then to make sure i divided the fustrum into the full cone and it worked out, but loads of people got 7:8 ?

Yeah it is 7:8 because the formula for the frustum was in the log tables. A load of people in my schooll were talking about how they didn't get it, but I'm almost certain it was 7:8

Advertisement