Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Debate: Is Project Maths benefiting those incapable of problem-solving?

• 08-06-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

LC Debate: Is Project Maths benefiting those incapable of problem-solving?

I feel as though the project maths for LC is faouring candidates who normally are less able to 'solve for x' than those who could sit with a list of problems and solve them all mathematically.

In the JC I got an A and my friend got a D.

We both took higher level for LC and have been getting similar grades.

He got 65% in the mocks and I got 69%.

I noticed how the bulk of his marks came from 'theory questions' and constructions whereas mine came from the questions more mathematical based - i.e. solve for x.

Is it just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I said to someone recently that I think the exact opposite!

You make the assumption that those who perform well in the "solve for x" type questions have a greater mathematical aptitude. As one who applied themself very little - and therefore never performed especially well - it was only until I took up App Maths that I realised I had an aptitude for mathematics. I think the "solve for x" questions (at LC level) rely to a larger extent on the learning of processes.

I'm interested in what you and others have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I found I was rote learning maths for the Junior Cert (old course).

Now at LC with Project Maths I always feel challenged by questions that require a true understanding of methods in order to solve them - and I love it, although it is easy enough to get caught out on those 'curve ball' questions - it seems like every day my maths teacher says 'to answer that question, you would have to have spotted that...'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Unlike the old Maths paper, marks were given out by using the right formula, correct work out of sums and correct answer. In the project maths, it's simply throwing marks away for attempting it. I think that if you attempted the entire two papers without working the entire sums or correct answers, you can pass Maths.

Project Maths has really made it easier I think. It's just difficult right now as all of us are used to the old marking scheme. Students who started secondary school this year (Sept 2013) will most likely be able to find maths classes easier than we did 5 years ago

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ehhh...I'll let you know in 5 hours.

My answer may or may not depend entirely on how maths P2 goes.

There is a lot more to maths than just solving for x though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Unlike the old Maths paper, marks were given out by using the right formula, correct work out of sums and correct answer. In the project maths, it's simply throwing marks away for attempting it. I think that if you attempted the entire two papers without working the entire sums or correct answers, you can pass Maths.

Project Maths has really made it easier I think. It's just difficult right now as all of us are used to the old marking scheme. Students who started secondary school this year (Sept 2013) will most likely be able to find maths classes easier than we did 5 years ago

I've never looked properly at the marking schemes, but I suppose it would become a problem if a way develops for students to get marks without legitimately attempting the question. But, the old scheme wasn't perfect, either. Giving marks just for writing down a formula is hardly better. I think your mentality about maths being about getting the correct answer is out-dated.

What do you mean by easier? The content may be easier (I believe it is) but the difficulty of getting each grade is similar. IMO, if the new syllabus develops "problem-solving skills", having students finding the classes "easier" mightn't be as bad as it sounds. Now that this new style of learning exists, content could be added in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement