Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STICKY: MUSICIAN DIFFERENCE DISCUSSION

• 08-06-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Some really good singers out there cannot read music, but can follow song structure easily, and perform in musical acts,

Some singers have been trained and can read music,

Some guitarists have trained themselves, can come up with there own riffs, but cannot play covers,

And some musicians know the theory,
    play from sheets alone but cannot write their own music, or perform with others.

What do you think about this?

Have you come across musicians like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Meh. People have different strengths. I can write my own songs but wouldn't have a chance of following sheet music if it was to save my life. No big deal. Though id like to learn.

Also, you do know writing "STICKY" in the thread title doesn't make the thread a sticky, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

IMO the more knowledge you acquire about all aspects of playing music, the better, as it will make you a better all round musician. It also increases your understanding and enjoyment of music. I often come across the old chestnut.."music theory stifles creativity". Ironically this never comes from people who actually know some theory. ;)

Having said the above, I think it is a case of horses for courses. It is quite possible to get by without knowing theory or how to read music. It is a simple matter of how far you want to go with your playing, and/or what your goals are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

You can learn the theory and learn to read music you can't learn to have it naturally..I'm a classically trained guitarist,I done my grade 8 when I was 16.but at that stage I wasn't great at picking stuff up by ear..that didn't come for a few yers after..

I have a friend that could play stairway to heaven after 2 hours of picking up a guitar.

I've also thought guitar and some people just can't get it ever and some people straight away
    But to answer your question I think once you have a small bit of natural ability...hard work beats both.

Advertisement